Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independent/Times Exam Diaries (Should be ashamed!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

I think we would all question her having intellect. but there's no denying that she boasts about supposedly having it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TisForSmart

As a first time Leaving Cert student in a non-grind school I must admit that I'm not a huge fan of Laura Brady's articles. However I also have to admit that I was asked to do the Exam Diary and I turned it down. I'm not looking for medicine but I need well over the five hundred mark and felt it would just take too much of my time. So regardless of how you feel about ANY Exam diarist, credit has to be given to them for taking the time to write the articles each and every night while the rest of us are cramming/sleeping! So to ALL the exam diarists out there, Congratulations, you're an awful lot braver than I am!:D And I hope you get what you need, as do I hope that everyone on this forum does!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I have to go to work now, if any1 has any further problems, feel free to address them to me at the customer service desk in tesco maynooth, i'll be there till 11 tonight.

:rolleyes:

Feel free to pass on all our recommendations to Laura, every little helps.

An obvious invitation to a scrap.....
    11b5bao.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 MatthewGrehan

Jesus H. Christ. I'm so regretting coming on this forum. I only posted to defend laura and try to clear her unfairly tarnished name, but if you ppl prefer to jus not believe what i'm saying then i'll just leave it. But i gotta stress that i wasn't challenging any1 to any kinda fight or scrap or whatever, as kermit seems to think, i was trying to be light of the fact that i was signing off caus i had to go to work, which wasn't an appealing prospect. Yet another misunderstood lighthearted piece of writing, lot goin around.
    Best of luck to you all for d rest of the exams and coll etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

Jesus H. Christ. I'm so regretting coming on this forum. I only posted to defend laura and try to clear her unfairly tarnished name, but if you ppl prefer to jus not believe what i'm saying then i'll just leave it. But i gotta stress that i wasn't challenging any1 to any kinda fight or scrap or whatever, as kermit seems to think, i was trying to be light of the fact that i was signing off caus i had to go to work, which wasn't an appealing prospect. Yet another misunderstood lighthearted piece of writing, lot goin around.
    Best of luck to you all for d rest of the exams and coll etc.

I have to say he seems like a genuinely nice guy.
    But it was certainly a bad idea for him to come on here. It's kind of not about him. That post did have a smidgeon of self pity though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I have to say he seems like a genuinely nice guy.
    But it was certainly a bad idea for him to come on here. It's kind of not about him. That post did have a smidgeon of self pity though...

Exactly.

Some of the stuff in the thread has been too vemonous, but for the most part people are simply annoyed with Laura Brady's articles because it didn't work well as an exam diary or as a gauge of this year's Leaving Cert in any way, shape or form.

If any of these were written by you, well done. Even beyond our small LC World, people are talking about this:

Taken from a very good GAA board, just the general conversation section:

Anyone else wise to the bird that has been writing a Leaving Cert Exam diary in the Times over the past few days. Normally I wouldn't read this for obvious reasons but skipped through it the other day and was surprised with the nature of beast we are producing in this country these days. Todays diary below. Note the background is she is repeating for the 2nd time in order to get 600 points for medicine. Some sort of intelligent female version of Ross O'Carroll Kelly it would seem.
    If you dislike Europe you should send copies of this 'diary' to Brussels. They'd kick us out for sure.
    one can only hope that she jacks in medicine when she cops that it isn't, loike, rilly that much like Greys Anatomy after all

The Hot Press board
    …angry….and mildly amused.

The whole thing may be just a spoof blog to get people worked up about the youth of Ireland. It's probably written by Frank McNally.

^My favourite!
    The IT should put her on a travel series, volunteering with the international red cross in Burma. Lets see how she feels about chanel handbags when she's up to her tits in poverty and human misery.

My dad actually thought this was a wind-up. In the fire-station were he works, they were reading these everyday over breakie and literally in bits laughing. One of my teachers said they all found them quite funny too, and again wondered if it was for real. The libelous danger of saying 'repeat student at the institute' would be too much anyway if she was a wind up, and we've all established by now she isn't! The fact people had to even ask if this was for real or not though..... The Times is long gone to the dogs, but itj ust lost its comic relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

MattD wrote: »
    I think we would all question her having intellect. but there's no denying that she boasts about supposedly having it

Intellect may be defined as any of the following;
    A high score as measured by an IQ measure( narrow but often corrolated with what we intuitively see as intelligence).
    An uncommon level of knowledge or ability in one or more fields.
    The ability to solve problems easily and grasp abstract concepts relatively quickly.

From your posts MattD I am not sure where you have demonstrated any of these talents? I am sure that Ms Brady has an uncommon knowledge of the trite variety, which means as such I must classify her as intelligent. (Before you use reductio ad absurdiem bare in mind I am being sarcastic and if you do so anyway I shall bring to bear the definition mathematically of a field to bear on this thread- blinding with science anyone??)

Genius on the other hand can be defined as
    An extremely high score on an IQ scale, usually 140 plus.
    Acknowledgement as such by one's peers in a particular field or activity.
    'A level of originality and a desire to learn by doing often marks out a person as possessing genius qualities' Sylvia Nasir, as opposed to a herd tendency so often found in humans.

Currently this board/thread is guilty of herding to the largest possible extent, drawing inferences from a small number of articles edited and changed to suit another person's agenda(that is to sell papers).

If I were to do so on this thread it would be described as trolling but yet I would have much more type to analyse for many boardsies, except for the blow-ins of course....
    PrivateEye wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Feel free to pass on all our recommendations to Laura, every little helps.

An obvious invitation to a scrap.....
    11b5bao.jpg

How many people do you know that attempt to start a fight using the phrase 'if you have any problems you can address them to me......'. Something more along the lines of 'I'll break your head in...' would surely more appropriate, but of course perhaps your not used to fighting, rather preferring to duel on the lawn of your fancy mansion, which I hear you fertilise using the blood of newborn babies, and as such you are totally unable to relate to any of the stresses that I as a non baby-killing humanoid experience.

Sorry none of this is actually directed at you personally, rather at the general tone of this thread.

: There is no doubting that the leaving cert is a very stressful time of one's life. And having spent a year in college I can assure you that it is not the only one, located in a structured enviroment, and usually spoon fed means that the leaving cert rewards very hard work, which is not to undermine the rewards I hope you all receive.

: As stated above human beings have an evolutionary granted tendency to herd, especially in times of stress, such urges do not justify utter contempt and personal insults, and quite frankly it is probably not too long until bans come into effect,in a democracy free speech is paramount, and if you do not enjoy her article you do not have to read it.

:Of course critical reading is important, but comment's such as 'she is failing at her brief' may not be correct, her brief is not to write an exam diary but rather to sell papers, I am too lazy to check circulation figures but have they dipped on the two weeks before the exams, or on previous years, it would be quite easy to do a statisitical test to see if she had then failed her brief.

I have never met Laura Brady, I do not enjoy her articles, but I do believe there is a market out there that does. It is ridiculous to constantly criticise one person over percieved snobbishness, intellect or lack thereof, money and the class divide etc. And to claim this is justified by her decision to write the damn thing is ludicrous. Here on boards we expose ourselves to a far larger possible audience then Ms Brady has access to, let us start a thread entitled 'I hate (person's name here)'. Personally I recommend dan719, he is loike such a dick and loike whatever is his problem.

Failing that insert Cookiemonster- Hi Debbie.

dan719 wrote: »
    I have never met Laura Brady, I do not enjoy her articles, but I do believe there is a market out there that does.

In 300-odd posts, the most anyone has mustered is half-hearted quailified support in the face of exagerated (and stupid) insults at her person.

There's a place for this type of writing only as a complete joke (aka Ross O'Carrol Kelly) but not presented as an exam diary for a set of exams that can define lifes.

There's a difference between levity and annoyance.

Syferus wrote: »
    In 300-odd posts, the most anyone has mustered is half-hearted quailified support in the face of exagerated (and stupid) insults at her person.

There's a place for this type of writing only as a complete joke (aka Ross O'Carrol Kelly) but not presented as an exam diary for a set of exams that can define lifes.

There's a difference between levity and annoyance.

I wasn't qualifying my support, in fact i was strengthening my position as my view of this thread is not coloured (undoubtedly red) by a close personal relationship.

And don't you think your going a little OTT there, define lives? When was the last time you went outside, life still goes on, and many infinitely greater problems exist then whether or not a question on the inner workings of a nuclear reactor with a subsection on Chernobyl is on the physics exams, or a question on the distinctions between PDM and standard single product monopoly is on Wednesday's economics. Anyway as this thread takes so much glee in pointing out, you can always repeat, just like Laura Brady.

• Advertisement

I wasn't qualifying my support, in fact i was strengthening my position as my view of this thread is not coloured (undoubtedly red) by a close personal relationship.

And don't you think your going a little OTT there, define lives? When was the last time you went outside, life still goes on, and many infinitely greater problems exist then whether or not a question on the inner workings of a nuclear reactor with a subsection on Chernobyl is on the physics exams, or a question on the distinctions between PDM and standard single product monopoly is on Wednesday's economics. Anyway as this thread takes so much glee in pointing out, you can always repeat, just like Laura Brady.

Can was the important word.

It's the gateway to just about every (conventional) way to a career in your particular field of interest. Couple that with the carrot of somewhat free education and yes, how you get on in your Leaving Cert can very well shape your life.

And whether or not you get hit by a dodo across the head while wearing your mother's thong being photographed by an invisible teapot just outside Uranus 'can' define your life. Let's play semantics shall we.

Your basic position is untenable, as it is based on the assumption that the exam diary is required for factual analysis of an exam to destress, to see the general reaction to the paper etc. This factual analysis is provided anyway, usually by teachers well versed in their subject. What about the argument that these diaries should be a source of comfort to students, written by someone we can all relate to. Why do you need an exam diary to do such things? Most people have friends, some more then others, but one or two none the least, we can all be sure that we have more in common with such people then a random diarist whom no-one will care about in one week, and it is to these people we look to for solace in disappointment and joint celebration in success.

Having disposed of the above, perhaps we should postulate some new axioms, an exam diary should be intensely personal, reflecting one person's view of the exams, containing one's opinion but bearing in mind it shall be read, and by that I mean it should be constrained in terms of lewdness and politeness, that is all. Or one could assume an exam diary should be written in swahili (spell?) and should discuss the finer points of the goat crotch sniffing ritual etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

And whether or not you get hit by a dodo across the head while wearing your mother's thong being photographed by an invisible teapot just outside Uranus 'can' define your life. Let's play semantics shall we.

Your basic position is untenable, as it is based on the assumption that the exam diary is required for factual analysis of an exam to destress, to see the general reaction to the paper etc. This factual analysis is provided anyway, usually by teachers well versed in their subject. What about the argument that these diaries should be a source of comfort to students, written by someone we can all relate to. Why do you need an exam diary to do such things? Most people have friends, some more then others, but one or two none the least, we can all be sure that we have more in common with such people then a random diarist whom no-one will care about in one week, and it is to these people we look to for solace in disappointment and joint celebration in success.

Having disposed of the above, perhaps we should postulate some new axioms, an exam diary should be intensely personal, reflecting one person's view of the exams, containing one's opinion but bearing in mind it shall be read, and by that I mean it should be constrained in terms of lewdness and politeness, that is all. Or one could assume an exam diary should be written in swahili (spell?) and should discuss the finer points of the goat crotch sniffing ritual etc.

Stop, just stop. Talk about an infinite deal of nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

dan, maybe you should get a glass stomach, so you can see what your typing with your head wedged so firmly up your ass.

You come on here with a bunch of big words and literary prowess and think youv disproved all our points? Yes people do read these exam diaries for comfort and someone to identify with. Sometimes talking to friends about exams isnt enough, as they already have a personal link to them. An exam diarist is someone completely disconnected, so if the common LC student sees the diarist having trouble, their feelings are put at wase.

I can vouch for this. If i come out of Maths, thinking i did badly, as did my whole class, i could be thinking 'But what if the rest of the country did well'. I open the paper and see that yes, this person in the institute, or in Mayo etc found it hard also. I'm much happier, as i have gotten the bigger picture.

And No it is not Laura Bradys job at all to sell papers. Not in the slightest. Do you think the Irish Times doesnt get sold until exam time or something?!? Its not like possibly the most popular paper in the country lives and dies off its exma times blogs for a couple of weeks a year.

Yes, personal insults are bad. but everyone has an opinion and can criticize work. Should they not voice it just because many others have voiced the same opinion before them? No

Maybe you have some points, but please dislodge your head from your colon if you want to express them

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think dan719 is a parody of himself.

Wait crap. This post is far too short at this stage. I'll lengthen it dan-style.

I believe that in the grand scheme of things, dan's suggestions and ideology as portrayed by his over-extended literary self-agrandisation is laughable at best. In the future should I wish to survey the argument put forward in the defense of young Ms. Brady, I will have to manage to the user of this site that has chosen his own moniker to be dan719.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fated2pretend

Livo wrote: »
    wow, seems like this thread has gone from commentary to hatemail to a philosophical argument on what people are and aren't allowed to say.

lol, ain't that the truth :D

I don't think that this backlash should have come as a surprise to anyone, and while those who know Laura understandably feel it's their duty to try to defend her, there's no escaping the fact that the content of her articles angered a lot of people. As has been said, we can only draw our own conclusions based on these articles, and it's for that reason that people have been making negative comments about her personality as they perceive it. At the end of the day, though, I think that when looking at this whole debacle, it's pretty clear that somewhere along the way, someone fecked up big time; either the Times for choosing someone that 90-something % of the country couldn't relate to, Laura for choosing to write the articles the way she did, or perhaps both. Even if it was all a big joke - or, at least, exaggerated to some extent - pulling such a prank in the middle of the Leaving, a very stressful time for most participants, was a very bad call. Of course, it's entirely possible that the Times knew exactly what they were doing; the aim of any newspaper feature is to get people talking, and at 22 pages, it's certainly done that ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

dan, maybe you should get a glass stomach, so you can see what your typing with your head wedged so firmly up your ass.

You come on here with a bunch of big words and literary prowess and think youv disproved all our points? Yes people do read these exam diaries for comfort and someone to identify with. Sometimes talking to friends about exams isnt enough, as they already have a personal link to them. An exam diarist is someone completely disconnected, so if the common LC student sees the diarist having trouble, their feelings are put at wase.

I can vouch for this. If i come out of Maths, thinking i did badly, as did my whole class, i could be thinking 'But what if the rest of the country did well'. I open the paper and see that yes, this person in the institute, or in Mayo etc found it hard also. I'm much happier, as i have gotten the bigger picture.

And No it is not Laura Bradys job at all to sell papers. Not in the slightest. Do you think the Irish Times doesnt get sold until exam time or something?!? Its not like possibly the most popular paper in the country lives and dies off its exma times blogs for a couple of weeks a year.

Yes, personal insults are bad. but everyone has an opinion and can criticize work. Should they not voice it just because many others have voiced the same opinion before them? No

Maybe you have some points, but please dislodge your head from your colon if you want to express them

+1!

Back there in his first post, Mr. Dan waffles on about how free speech is rife in democracy. Unfortunately, he opts to waive this right to a such a tedious extent, that nobody gives a rat's arse about what he's saying. The other people in the forum, Laura's boyfriend, Laura's boyfriend's brother's friend etc. actually made a point amid their posts. I think Mr. Dan should go recheck what he said in that sentence. I want to spell it out for him, as I did to another individual before; People are not on here because they are conspiring in a bandwagon of hate for Laura. They're doing so, because they want to know is anyone ELSE pissed off at the nature of her articles, the way they've been misrepresented under the banner of 'the youth of today' and the way the Irish Times has let them down with its choice of exam diarist.

I agree that insulting Laura is utterly harsh and unfair when she can't even defend herself. However, you're living in a dreamworld if you think Leaving Cert students are unjustifiably fuming. People around the country are laughing at Laura, because they think the youth of today are all spoiled little princesses with no consideration for each other, and of how times have changed.

While you can think that Laura can write about what she wants in her articles, and that IS true, you can't argue that she has done her job to satisfactory standard. Whether you think they don't have to or not, the VAST majority of students trawled through the exam diary looking for someone to identify with. It is not Laura's lack of provision of this, but her arrogance in trying to further distance herself from the average Leaving Cert student. RE-READ her diaries if you're unable see this. It ain't what she says, it's the way that she says it!

You come on here with a bunch of big words and literary prowess and think youv disproved all our points? Yes people do read these exam diaries for comfort and someone to identify with. Sometimes talking to friends about exams isnt enough, as they already have a personal link to them. An exam diarist is someone completely disconnected, so if the common LC student sees the diarist having trouble, their feelings are put at ?wase.?

I can vouch for this. ?If i come out of Maths, thinking i did badly, as did my whole class, i could be thinking 'But what if the rest of the country did well'. I open the paper and see that yes, this person in the institute, or in Mayo etc found it hard also. I'm much happier, as i have gotten the bigger picture.?

And No it is not Laura Bradys job at all to sell papers. Not in the slightest. Do you think the Irish Times doesnt get sold until exam time or something?!?

What exactly is wase? I am going to assume you are not a moron and that you meant ease, which I guess is pretty generous of me.

As I stated in an earlier post, Laura Brady's experience of a paper is no more likely to be representitive of the entire country, and surely definately not more so then an entire class. That's why the shorter articles are also available critically analysing the papers, usually without resorting to insulting the examiners I may add.

I am not sure how exactly you can vouch for the utmost importance of an exam diarist by putting forward a hypothetical scenario such as the one above? Maths is finished and so 'if you were to come out of maths' then you would be repeating just like shock horror Laura Brady. As an aside H Maths was pretty easy this year anyway.

The Irish Times exists to sell papers, during the Leaving cert period, one of the main attractions is the few pages containing information about the exams the previous day. I can vouch for this as I have been buying the Indo every day to have a look at the reaction. Because of the reaction to Brady's diary people 'want to see what the fuss is all about'. Is that sufficently colloqial or should it be in text speak? As such her brief is subsumed into a larger one and overall she succeeds.

To your last point I say only this

'it is not worth an intelligent man's time to be part of the majority, by definition there are already more then enough doing that'

P.s I would also like to point out again the nice little herding quality on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LPB

Ok, I'm back. and even though at first, I really didn't want to, I'm now going to try to justify my articles. The major bones of contention people seem to have with me/them is that:
    A: I didn't talk about the exams enough
    B. Nobody can relate to me due to my strange circumstances
    C. I was overly arrogant and confident
    D. I came across as a pretentious snobby rich bitch who wanted to rub my wealth in everyone's face.

So... In answer to A: I had to dictate most of the diaries over the phone during my hour long drive home everyday to meet the deadline. I did talk about the exams as much as I could but under pressure, on the phone, when you've just come out of a stressful exam, you tend to forget some things. Because of this, I had to pre-prepare a few ideas the night or morning beforehand. I was also briefed to not just commentate the exams, but talk about interesting aspects of my life (Eg. Having an iguana, snake shedding, going out to a movie, etc.)

B: While I appreciate that my circumstances are unusual, they are not unique. There are other people out there who have done the LC three or four times to get what they want. That doesn't make them stupid or mean they aren't deserving of the course they're aiming for - it just makes them really determined. When I was put forward for this by my English teacher, those in the Irish Times thought that a serial repeater would make for an interesting perspective.

C: I know it appeared that I was overly confident, but in reality, I'm literally fearing for my life and future here. I went to Sex and the City the night before English so that I wouldn't be pulling out my hair at home. Everyone seems to think it's less stressful third time around, but in fact, the pressure has been increasing every time. I did everything I could to avoid falling into counterproductive stressful mode. I shouldn't have said "200 points tucked under my pillow" etc, as I realise now how disheartening that may have been for others, but I honestly did feel that I had my two best subjects behind me and I really had to work hard for the rest of them. Bear in mind, those words were dictated when I had just come out of the exam hall, on a post-exam euphoric high.

D: I am not rich. My dad works hard to put me and my brother through school. I completed my first round of education in a public school. When I started to repeat, I went away to boarding school to try and do better for myself. And I do not regularly spend massive amounts of money on shoes. I included that anecdote on shoe purchasing to try to demonstrate how crazy the exam stress makes us. I appreciate that not everyone does this, but retail therapy is not unique to me. I work and save hard to be able to afford a few treasured items like nice shoes and my bed.

So now I am going to study my ass off for classics. Because its not easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

Fair play to her for writing the articles. They're well written and she could well have a future in writing if the medicine thing doesn't work out for her.

I'm just embarrassed that anyone reading the paper could percieve her as a typical LC student. Her materialistic attitude stands for everything that's wrong with the youth of today and in no way would I want to be associated with her and unfortunatly, as someone in the same generation, people like this give us all a bad name.

There are two main issues that people seem to have with her articles here - firstly her incredible confidence with regard to the leaving cert, and secondly her constant reference to wealth. The first I feel can partially be explained as she is an extraordinary case, and though maybe she could have introduced some tact, the choice of her to write it was down to the irish times. However there is NO excuse for the second. Here is a sheltered girl who has been in the senior cycle for the last 5 years and NEEDS to WAKE UP. Repeating the same curriculum for 5 years is NOT getting a better education!
    I really can't believe the times let this diary be published.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭conormurphy

LPB wrote: »
    D. I came across as a pretentious snobby rich bitch who wanted to rub my wealth in everyone's face.

D: I am not rich. My dad works hard to put me and my brother through school. I completed my first round of education in a public school. When I started to repeat, I went away to boarding school to try and do better for myself. And I do not regularly spend massive amounts of money on shoes. I included that anecdote on shoe purchasing to try to demonstrate how crazy the exam stress makes us. I appreciate that not everyone does this, but retail therapy is not unique to me. I work and save hard to be able to afford a few treasured items like nice shoes and my bed.

Yeah I doubt that its really Laura Brady, ya wouldnt talk that crap and of course you are rich, but whats wrong with been rich? I mean if your pops earned that cheddar then you should be ballin ya dig

Stevieo wrote: »
    People are not on here because they are conspiring in a bandwagon of hate for Laura. They're doing so, because they want to know is anyone ELSE pissed off at the nature of her articles, the way they've been misrepresented under the banner of 'the youth of today' and the way the Irish Times has let them down with its choice of exam diarist ...

People around the country are laughing at Laura, because they think the youth of today are all spoiled little princesses with no consideration for each other, and of how times have changed.

Spot on.

The Times, in its wisdom, chose to get rid of the 'Teen Times' column that used to appear every week. Now the Irish public is finally presented with a teenage outlook on the world - albeit one that's supposed to deal almost exclusively with exams and the issues surrounding these - and it just supports the stereotype that we're all vacuous, materialistic, spoiled brats. It is not just that the column fails as an exam diary, but also that it tarnishes the reputation of 'Irish teenagers' as a group in the process.

Once again I stress - this is the impression created by the column; it is what we on here see and what the Times' wider readership sees, and it is this that we are basing our opinions on.

I believe it would be a mistake if she were to continue her column in the autumn - for one thing, having a med. student do this two years in a row just supports the Times' perceived elitist attitude, and for another, there is no way to repair the damage done; continuing on would just make people even more angry and worked up.

The Times needs to clear the slate and start again, and hopefully next year will choose a more suitable candidate, who people can relate to - I mean, for God's sake, three times; it's like doing a Michael Palin-esque travel show where the presenter has already been there, done that, bought the T-shirt, and just spends the whole show going "Well, climbing this mountain is very tough indeed, but having done it twice before, I could do it with my eyes closed" - and one who doesn't create such a bad impression among what should be her target audience that the paper's own letters page, not to mention multiple internet forums, are filled with criticisms for the whole affair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

Ok, I'm back. and even though at first, I really didn't want to, I'm now going to try to justify my articles. The major bones of contention people seem to have with me/them is that:

So... In answer to A: I had to dictate most of the diaries over the phone during my hour long drive home everyday to meet the deadline. I did talk about the exams as much as I could but under pressure, on the phone, when you've just come out of a stressful exam, you tend to forget some things. Because of this, I had to pre-prepare a few ideas the night or morning beforehand. I was also briefed to not just commentate the exams, but talk about interesting aspects of my life (Eg. Having an iguana, snake shedding, going out to a movie, etc.)

B: While I appreciate that my circumstances are unusual, they are not unique. There are other people out there who have done the LC three or four times to get what they want. That doesn't make them stupid or mean they aren't deserving of the course they're aiming for - it just makes them really determined. When I was put forward for this by my English teacher, those in the Irish Times thought that a serial repeater would make for an interesting perspective.

C: I know it appeared that I was overly confident, but in reality, I'm literally fearing for my life and future here. I went to Sex and the City the night before English so that I wouldn't be pulling out my hair at home. Everyone seems to think it's less stressful third time around, but in fact, the pressure has been increasing every time. I did everything I could to avoid falling into counterproductive stressful mode. I shouldn't have said "200 points tucked under my pillow" etc, as I realise now how disheartening that may have been for others, but I honestly did feel that I had my two best subjects behind me and I really had to work hard for the rest of them. Bear in mind, those words were dictated when I had just come out of the exam hall, on a post-exam euphoric high.

Hey laura fair play of you to come on here. It's not the easiest being faced with a bunch of internet strangers! I completely admire your determination and seriously hope you get what you want, because 6th year is a bitch and you deserve it.
    Good luck with the classics!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Greatscot

I, for one, find it shocking that dan is getting negative feedback here! What he said made utter sense, i think people just don't understand what he's saying!

And to stevieo- don't confuse arrogance with confidence, confidence is a very good thing.

I've read her articles and don't find anything wrong with them, i think perhaps the driving force of the negative feedback she's been getting is jealousy...

Girl is asked to write a diary OF HER TIME during the lc, girl fulfills that brief, girl happens to be a real 'girly girl' liking nice things etc (nothing wrong with that, unless you berate people because they are not like you?) some people think materialism the root of all evil, others resent not having similar luxuries.

If you think jealousy isn't a factor in this you must be blind, its been a driving force behind hate for most of our time as a species on this earth.

Also, if you don't like that she's a third time repeat, that she's confident, and that she's doing well in her exams, then read another paper! Or write the times and petition for a moron to write it next year! But what a fundamental flaw to have- you read someone is doing well and it makes you feel BAD!? Doesn't anyone wish success on their fellow these days???

Sorry to rant, but as a foreign national i feel saddened that someone undiservedly (spell?) gets this kind of reaction in a place i've been so proud to call my new home. The EU COULD use more people of Laura Brady's intellect and wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

That took real coarage to come back here and anybody saying otherwise is arguing against the real purpose of this debate,which is that these diaries did not depict a real leaving cert student.She shown us that she is a real Leaving cert student and is just as nervous as anybody.We need to lay this debate to rest as this is not doing anybody anygood,including Laura Brady.I hope she gets her A1 in Classics and becomes a doctor and I wish her all the best in the future. I just hope she can earn others respect as much as she has earned mine.Good Luck Laura and everybody who has commented. Hope you do well in your exams and get what you set out to achieve, like Laura Brady has.

If anybody has any issues with what i have said pm me as this is all I have to say on the matter.

Good luck everybody ,hope you all get result you need.

The EU COULD use more people of Laura Brady's intellect and wit.

Thats the solution alright.

If you're proposing to send her to the arse-end of the Czech Republic to write for their national paper I fully endorse the idea.

I don't think jealousy is even a factor, like I said teachers and parents alike were actually wondering if it was fictional or not.... It's not her fault we haven't taken to her world of expensive shoes, dressing up to suit exams or whatever else- it's Madam Editors fault for thinking she was a good choice. If you had to pick ONE student in the country, I'd much rather Joe Bloggs than Laura Brady. I'm sure she's a nice enough 'young un' but it's just a gigantic ****-up on the Times part. When would you see THREE letters in the paper complaining about one contributor on any given day? Sure Garrett Fitzgeralds lost his marbles and he'd only get two on a good day :pac: The fact people are talking about it even outside our little LC bubble shows people generally find the whole thing bizarre.

Saying that- we did all read them. Nearly evry day*

*I used to read that Kevin My-arse bloke too, so that doesn't account for much...

Hold on a minute, doesn't all of this contradict what you said in your first post?! :confused:

In your initial post, you said you didn't want to write a typical 'LC student stressing about exams' diary, you were trying to create a parody of yourself and you're surprised more people didn't get you were joking.

Now you're saying you would have written more about the exams, except you forgot what you wanted to say, you were being sincere and you do regret some of what you said, but it was written in a "post-exam euphoria" - which completely dispels any notion of consciously trying to be ironic or parodying the stereotypical know-it-all brat - or, with the shoe "anecdote", the stereotypical D4 persona.

I mean, I'm sorry if I sound harsh, and I don't want to prolong the argument any further, but really, either you're pretending to be Laura (there's nothing there which couldn't have been gleaned from reading the articles or the comments on here), which is a bit sad, or you really are her and you're just clutching at straws and scrambling for excuses :mad:

And that's all I have to say on the matter ...

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

In fairness to Laura she's a very good writer. I understand why people who are in the middle of exams might not see this, but the exam diary isn't just for LCers it's for the general public, and her account of it was much more enjoyable to read than the usual "had english today-it was very hard, only did 4 pages on the comparative and thought the poetry was hard".

She probably could have talked about the exams in a bit more detail, but I also liked how she wasn't totally obsessed with studying.

I do have to say that I agree with people who are saying she's only doing medicine for the sake of saying I'm a doctor, I wonder has she tried applying to english colleges, or has she put down UCD or UCG on her CAO; if not then medicine is not the right course for her.

Also read the blogs on leaving-cert.net, they're very good, well done lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Yeah I doubt that its really Laura Brady, ya wouldnt talk that crap and of course you are rich, but whats wrong with been rich? I mean if your pops earned that cheddar then you should be ballin ya dig

Sorry to go off topic but that post is fúcking hilarious, straight outta Compton!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

What exactly is wase? I am going to assume you are not a moron and that you meant ease, which I guess is pretty generous of me.

As I stated in an earlier post, Laura Brady's experience of a paper is no more likely to be representitive of the entire country, and surely definately not more so then an entire class. That's why the shorter articles are also available critically analysing the papers, usually without resorting to insulting the examiners I may add.

I am not sure how exactly you can vouch for the utmost importance of an exam diarist by putting forward a hypothetical scenario such as the one above? Maths is finished and so 'if you were to come out of maths' then you would be repeating just like shock horror Laura Brady. As an aside H Maths was pretty easy this year anyway.

The Irish Times exists to sell papers, during the Leaving cert period, one of the main attractions is the few pages containing information about the exams the previous day. I can vouch for this as I have been buying the Indo every day to have a look at the reaction. Because of the reaction to Brady's diary people 'want to see what the fuss is all about'. Is that sufficently colloqial or should it be in text speak? As such her brief is subsumed into a larger one and overall she succeeds.

To your last point I say only this

'it is not worth an intelligent man's time to be part of the majority, by definition there are already more then enough doing that'

P.s I would also like to point out again the nice little herding quality on this thread.

hahahahahahahah, this is exactly the type of disgusting arrogance that people were so appauled by when they saw it in the times.

"herding quality" , and because you're in the minority it makes you intelligent? and what a lovely quote you have to prove all this.

"intelligent people are filled with doubt, while the stupid are cocksure", and here you are fully sure of your own intelligence. The ironing is delicious. But of course, a quote on it's own like that means nothing, unless you're an idiot of course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement