Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

karlokarl wrote: »
    When a GR is on patrol duty, is it just foot patrol or do they go around in Garda cars aswell?

hey i found this very useful info. on the Emergency Services General forum when the OP asked 'Reserves:the internals of it and how it works for you when on duty' ... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55905250&postcount=7

good insight there by karlitosway1978

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wetgarden

I dont think they are being utilised properly nor do I think the way the were established was the best way but I can see the (Limited) merits in the scheme.

As I said before, my gripes are with the system and the motives behind the scheme not the personel themselves. Ones I have worked with have been nice guys and good company.

As for hoours, Garda work 3 tier system. Unit a b c or d and just like fulltimers the reserves are attached to a certain unit which means they have to nominate their working hours within their assigned units shift however Im sure theres flexibility there if something comes up.

If your gripes are with the system, what would you do differently then if you had the chance to change it from the current set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Hmm bit concerned now as I was thinking of join it after the leaving (gotta wait till august need proof of results) but will have to wait and see now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

wetgarden wrote: »
    If your gripes are with the system, what would you do differently then if you had the chance to change it from the current set up?

Well for starters they would have their own powers and would not be limited. They would prosecute their own cases and be responsible solely for their own actions.

Theres still questions over who will cover them if and when they get injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

I agree with Karl. If the powers that be were serious about a reserve they should have done it properly. Here reserve officers (Special Constables) have the same powers as I have. Nope they won't have the same experience or training as I have but when it comes down to it they can nick someone regardless of the circumstances and can perform all the tasks that you expect a sworn officer to perform, albeit with guidance from a regular officer.

Reserves here patrol with Regular Officers and work quite well so long as they're spoon fed. And this is how it should be. Police work is not something you can teach from a book or just pick up overnight. Policing is all about experience; operational experience. So the Irish experience seems like a bizarre setup to me; give these people police uniforms but don't give them full police powers.

I'd be a bit miffed were I working Temple Bar on a Sunday morning at 4am when, wearing a Garda uniform, someone calls me a 'Pig C*nt' and I have to ask a regular member to assist when I'm stood there wearing cuffs and a baton. Hmmm. No thanks. I'd have trouble not getting involved in any kind of kickoff. But that's my Met training ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Sounds a bit like what it must be like to be a PCSO! :)

Well CD you hit the nail on the head there. However as you probably know PCSOs are not Police and are employed in a non-confrontational role. Its all a big con for the public but I'd suggest that the Garda Reserve are closer to our PCSOs than they are to Gardai! Which is all well and good so long as you don't put em out in public in uniforms identical to police officers.......wait a minute.......d'oh! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Once upon a time, I was a Special, Ooop North, around the time the PSCO concept was started. I never spoke to any constable with much to say for the concept. Never much saw the point either in having people in police-like uniform walking around chatting with the junkies all day.

It seems to me that in an effort to assuage regular Garda concerns about the impact of the GR, they seriously limited their effectiveness by restricting their powers to PCSO levels (how can you work a foot beat without using Public Order Act?), which has now resulted in them being seen as less useful than they could be by the regular Gardai.

Are there any hints that the GR will get wider roles in future?

civdef wrote: »
    Are there any hints that the GR will get wider roles in future?

The allowance in law is there but the big man decides what powers they are authorised to use and while there was logic in restricting them during the trial stages I think at this stage its time for the concept to sink or swim on its own merits
    plus a lot of questions converning them will only be answered when they do start arresting people or when they are assaulted, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Stay_in_Kampuchea

Would the Government actually do a U Turn on the Reserves?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Would the Government actually do a U Turn on the Reserves?!

doubt it, it's written into the 2005 act.

lehanemore wrote: »
    doubt it, it's written into the 2005 act.

so it's law?

so it's law?

no, it's not.

no, it's not.

I, see.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wetgarden

:o
    Hi all.
    I need some guidance here please.
    I have done all that is required for the Garda Reserve, passed all interviews and medicals and spoken to Garda Reserves who are out and fully qualified. I am scheduled to go in to Templemore in June. However with all the negative comments e.g.

1. GRA calling for it to be scrapped

2. Their Duties seem to be very limited from carrying out my own research and from reading the forum,

I'm having doubts. I'm all for the the GR but I'm beginning to wonder is it worthwhile! due to all the neagtive publicity. For those who intend to go into the Garda fulltime, it is a brilliant idea and gives a huge insight inton the organisation and how it is run. Myself, I work as a Manufacturing Engineer and will probably never join the fulltime force. I'm all for the GR and was looking forward to qualifying and working weekends which appears to be the done thing.

However there is still alot of negative comments out there whether it is about the system and the way it is run or with the GR themselves.
    Also I'm not sure of how work colleagues and friends would react and what would their thoughts be. Anyone in this situation??

Not sure what to do. I had my heart set on it but now I'm not so sure! Any advice would be greatfully appreciated
    From a disgruntled reserve candidate

Hi all.
    I have done all that is required for the Garda Reserve, passed all interviews and medicals and spoken to Garda Reserves who are out and fully qualified. I am scheduled to go in to Templemore in June. However with all the negative comments e.g.

2. Their Duties seem to be very limited from carrying out my own research and from reading the forum,

I'm having doubts. I'm all for the the GR but I'm beginning to wonder is it worthwhile! due to all the neagtive publicity. For those who intend to go into the Garda fulltime, it is a brilliant idea and gives a huge insight inton the organisation and how it is run. Myself, I work as a Manufacturing Engineer and will probably never join the fulltime force. I'm all for the GR and was looking forward to qualifying and working weekends which appears to be the done thing.

However there is still alot of negative comments out there whether it is about the system and the way it is run or with the GR themselves.
    Also I'm not sure of how work colleagues and friends would react and what would their thoughts be. Anyone in this situation??

Not sure what to do. I had my heart set on it but now I'm not so sure! Any advice would be greatfully appreciated

Sure join and see for yourself. Its not a career change so if its not for you then walk away.

I, see.

sorry I couldn't answer your question in more detail, I was up the walls at work and only had a minute at my pc, also I'm no legal eagle so i couldn't comment any further anyway without speculating.:)

Hi all.

snap!

but I'm going to go ahead with it anyway, rather than never knowing and regretting it when it's too late.

also, it would be of great benefit if some of the experienced reserves would come on and give us the low down on what it's really like, most of the posts are from candidates like us who are going through the application process but when trained and attested the people that get through seem to dissapear into the ether and we don't hear from them anymore.:(

Ditto, roll on august and ill send the app off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 boardsbandit200

Hi i'm in the reserve now for almost a year- i joined when i was 19- i was shy and blisfully unaware of what it was like to be garda. I'm also the only one in my district and had no other reserves to help me settle in.
    The garda reserve has been absolutely brilliant for me- it gave me character, confidence and now the ambition to join the full-time garda and I would encourage any other younger people to join- not just to learn but to experience what it's like to be a gaurd. The regular gardai in my district are sound and my sergant and inspector have always been there to help me and thank me for turning up saturday nights. They have been great at helping me ease into the garda role.

I really only do saturday nights- to suit me (i go out drinking thursday nights- student nights). My saturday nights comprimise of either foot patrol or i'm in the squad car- it's 50-50 really i've come across a lot of different things- from fights, domestic disputes, car accidents and checkpoints.
    I have been with another regular gaurd the entire time throughout any patrols and yes I have had to restrain and hancuff people- I always make sure that my partner knows about what powers I have.

There has been a lot of complaining coming from everywhere at the reserve- i think the reserve is an absolute brilliant concept and a lot more young people should join if they are planning to join the regulars- it gives great insight, boosts confidence, and gives great experience to people who like myself hadn't seen much and that were fresh out of school. To any other young people who are planning to join or are curently in the recruitment process don't be put down by the interview or the long wait (I think it's been shortened a bit).

• Advertisement

Good post mate, very informative.

sorry I couldn't answer your question in more detail, I was up the walls at work and only had a minute at my pc, also I'm no legal eagle so i couldn't comment any further anyway without speculating.:)

ah it's grand, I know the feeling....plus I tried reading that act and my eyes nearly fell out of my skull...good oul McDowell.

Hi i'm in the reserve now for almost a year- i joined when i was 19- i was shy and blisfully unaware of what it was like to be garda. I'm also the only one in my district and had no other reserves to help me settle in.
    The garda reserve has been absolutely brilliant for me- it gave me character, confidence and now the ambition to join the full-time garda and I would encourage any other younger people to join- not just to learn but to experience what it's like to be a gaurd. The regular gardai in my district are sound and my sergant and inspector have always been there to help me and thank me for turning up saturday nights. They have been great at helping me ease into the garda role.

I really only do saturday nights- to suit me (i go out drinking thursday nights- student nights). My saturday nights comprimise of either foot patrol or i'm in the squad car- it's 50-50 really i've come across a lot of different things- from fights, domestic disputes, car accidents and checkpoints.
    I have been with another regular gaurd the entire time throughout any patrols and yes I have had to restrain and hancuff people- I always make sure that my partner knows about what powers I have.

There has been a lot of complaining coming from everywhere at the reserve- i think the reserve is an absolute brilliant concept and a lot more young people should join if they are planning to join the regulars- it gives great insight, boosts confidence, and gives great experience to people who like myself hadn't seen much and that were fresh out of school. To any other young people who are planning to join or are curently in the recruitment process don't be put down by the interview or the long wait (I think it's been shortened a bit).

Cheers for that, good to hear it from the horses mouth.

How long does app take, do i need my leaving cert results before i can apply or can i apply now and have them by the time of interview etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Hi all.

gra have looked for a few things over the years but dont always get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

In July I will have completed my first year as a Garda Reserve, although sadly my initial enthusiasm for this concept is somewhat on the wane. As our full time member has rightly pointed out, there are both advantages and disadvantages to the whole Reserve concept, but as is typical in this country, our Government has gone half heartedly into the whole reserve concept, leaving Reserves in some sort of limbo land, been classed as Gardai, yet with little or no more powers than your average civilian. If the government want the reserve concept to work, they have to give us more powers, as it is laughable to expect decent men and women to put on a uniform every Saturday night, and then spend 8 hours been babysat by a full time member. Our only use is when an extra physical presence is required, apart from that I feel that we make little or no contribution (through no fault of our own) to policing in this country, and in its present guise I do not give the Garda Reserve any future. As somebody else has already pointed out, we need to be given powers, to be allowed stand on our own two feet, and to be accountable for our actions, only then can it be seen if the Garda Reserve is working or not. However I will not hold my breath, as we all know how slowly things move in this country, which either means that if the government ever do get around to giving reserves more powers, that there will be none left, all having left out of pure frustration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 iceman_kill

Why are GR members not allowed to drive Garda cars. Full time members can drive them as long as they have a full driving licence with no penalty points and permission from the district superintendant (Open to correction on that). As far as I know, fulltime members don't receive any driving training while at Templemore (but can apply for the course once they have graduated) so what would be the difference in a member of the GR with a full licence and no points (and possibly more experience) driving a patrol car and a full time member doing the same??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CapL

Do all the reserve Gardai and student gardai carry identifiaction(warrant card). I mean officially they are not sworn members as such are they???

Would someone who is in the reserve or a Student gaurd please outline some of the powers they have or do not have.

Thanks.

CapL wrote: »
    Do all the reserve Gardai and student gardai carry identifiaction(warrant card). I mean officially they are not sworn members as such are they???

Would someone who is in the reserve or a Student gaurd please outline some of the powers they have or do not have.

Thanks.
    kerry4sam wrote: »
    hey i found this very useful info. on the Emergency Services General forum when the OP asked 'Reserves:the internals of it and how it works for you when on duty' ... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55905250&postcount=7

good insight there by karlitosway1978

CapL wrote: »

Thanks.

you can also look at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55905250#post55905250 where several people give their views and opinions and experiences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

But if reserves were given the power of arrest for public order etc would that not mean that you would have to go to court as a result which would mean a major inconvenience for some members ? I think that's why reserves can't arrest people for stuff like that.

Advertisement