Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dabbling in 'black' arts

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Covenline

Sapien wrote:
    The exceptions would be esoteric forms of Satanism which are, for the most part, complete bosh.

Which esoteric forms of satanism are you talking about specificly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

dent wrote:
    In terms of magic as discussed in this thread it seems that its quite a personal and private experience for the people using it. It seems that even reflecting on its use may even hamper its effects.

For some posters here it is tied in with spiritual and religous matters.
    dent wrote:
    Seems that it might be quite difficult gathering empirical evidence of its effects.

Have any magic users attempted to gather empirical evidence of its effects? Or would the very act stop the magic from working?

It depends on what empirical evidence is being atempted to be gathered.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53525348&postcount=5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

Covenline wrote:
    Which esoteric forms of satanism are you talking about specificly?
    LaVeyan Satanism and Setian Satanism mostly.

Poor Set.

Thaedydal wrote:
    Poor Set.
    Oh no, I'm very fond of Set. It's just some of the syncretistic versions of him lack elegance and depth.

• Advertisement

I am too but really he lucked out not being the desert god that didn't get his name and worship spread over a fair part of the globe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Which is worse, not having your name and worship spread over a fair part of the globe, or having Michael Aquino try? :)

(Reminded of an Oscar Wilde line about being talked about).

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Thaedydal wrote:
    It depends on what empirical evidence is being atempted to be gathered.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53525348&postcount=5
    Talliesin wrote:
    It is a very good practice to keep an account of what is worked for and later to note whether it was attained, to what extent, and whether there was anything notable in how it came to pass.

For some magic workers this is of direct interest, for others its of interest only in so much as it helps one to hone one's craft (just as a programmer has an interest in computer science or a blacksmith in metallurgy not so much in themselves, but in how that informs those crafts).

Seems like there might be plenty of data out there. Has anyone attempted to publish the results? I guess there might be little point for the practitioners as they have no reason to convince anyone else that it works.

I think its off to Google for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

dent wrote:
    Has anyone attempted to publish the results? I guess there might be little point for the practitioners as they have no reason to convince anyone else that it works.
    And little hope of doing so.

There are plenty of magical journals published, including those of some of the best-known magicians in the world. Now, why should a sceptical assessment of them accept a single word of them? Their value really is not towards sceptical enquiry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mike m

I was wondering if you might have any info on what kind of offerings I could leave for the celtic goddess morigan that would be appreciated?
    If not then I am truly sorry to bother you thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

mike m wrote: »
    I was wondering if you might have any info on what kind of offerings I could leave for the celtic goddess morigan that would be appreciated?
    paganism forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=256

mike m wrote: »

If my history of Irish folklore serves me correct , i believe the main appreciated offering would be cheese.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Posts re Morrigan copied to here aswell which should provide some more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Iolar wrote: »
    Has anyone ever conjured a demon or an evil spirit?or do you get youre info from books?
    These are exclusive?

Advertisement