Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

humberklog wrote: »
    Rathmines road Rasher?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A hundred year's ago

StGeorges4-1.jpg

This evening...

attachment.php?attachmentid=55887&stc=1&d=1210546875

Sights, what we were listening to and the fashion..

(Bagatelle - best band ever)

Summer in Dublin.

Mairt wrote: »
    A hundred year's ago

This evening...

Brilliant! I'd say you were on the same spot as the photographer was 100 years ago. It hasn't really changed much all the same.

Those two pics would look good framed either side by side separately or with the two pictures 'stitched'.

Great getting the two pics from the same view.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sights, what we were listening to and the fashion..

(Bagatelle - best band ever)

Summer in Dublin.
    Re Dublin 1985.

The footage of the band playing is from 1985 but it would appear that the footage of Grafton Street, College Green and Westmoreland Street is much later - probably early to mid nineties.

• Advertisement

deswalsh wrote: »
    Great stuff Rashers! My Dad has passed away, but I'm sure my mum would be interested in those photos.

How about framing either of these two for your mum? Mairt did a great job of matching so I 'stitched' the old to the new.

(the footpath outside the pub looks like it hasn't been rebuilt.. the old and new look the same to me)

I wonder if someone sees these 100 years from now how different it will look to them. The church will probably still be there but dwarfed by tall glass office buildings.

temple.jpg

or

temple1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Rashers wrote: »
    How about framing either of these two for your mum? Mairt did a great job of matching so I 'stitched' the old to the new.

(the footpath outside the pub looks like it hasn't been rebuilt.. the old and new look the same to me)

I wonder if someone sees these 100 years from now how different it will look to them. The church will probably still be there but dwarfed by tall glass office buildings.

I hope not, I love the area as it is, although in 100 years I wont have a say :( Dont know if anyone remembers the old site where spar is, they look the same in the pics but about ten years ago there was a gas explosin (Insurance fraud) and it tottally destroyed the building, The builders did a good job making it look the same.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

dancor wrote: »
    I hope not, I love the area as it is, although in 100 years I wont have a say :( Dont know if anyone remembers the old site where spar is, they look the same in the pics but about ten years ago there was a gas explosin (Insurance fraud) and it tottally destroyed the building, The builders did a good job making it look the same.

That place was on my route to school.

I heard at the time that it was a problem with insurance of a different kind that caused it to be burnt out. They weren't paying the right people. It was a rumour though, so I could be wrong.

They did a pretty good job of restoring it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

I wonder what happened to the ornamental details on the building that is now kavanaghs...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

flynnc8 wrote: »
    I wonder what happened to the ornamental details on the building that is now kavanaghs...:confused:

A good few years ago Kavanaghs refurbished right around the block, building the railings around the shop and joining the building with the flats to build more apartments so the ornamental design was got rid of then.

• Advertisement

Can anyone think of a suitable title?.

attachment.php?attachmentid=55955&stc=1&d=1210633014

I like the way the young couple appear to be walking through a time warp!.

That's a brilliant blend.

"A stroll through time"?

Anyone else.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

dorset st regeneration abruptly ended?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

a broken clock is always right twice a century :pac::pac::pac::pac:

I like the way the young couple appear to be walking through a time warp!
    That's a brilliant blend.

"A stroll through time"?

Anyone else.....?
    It remind me of that 1990s TV series with Nicolas Lindhurst as a TV Repair man who steps through to war torn London. Can't think of the bloody name of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

There's a deadly little shop on the north quays which has lots of photos from various villages and towns at points in the past.

Love this thread.

It remind me of that 1990s TV series with Nicolas Lindhurst as a TV Repair man who steps through to war torn London. Can't think of the bloody name of it!

Never missed an episode.

Goodnight_Sweetheart.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

bug wrote: »
    There's a deadly little shop on the north quays which has lots of photos from various villages and towns at points in the past.

Love this thread.

Sadly, this shop closed down recently. No idea if it's relocated or what..

Great thread. Being a 'new' northsider, I find the pics of the Summerhill, Gardiner Street etc fascinating.. I knew there were a lot of tenements around in the past, but I never knew just *how* many..

Never missed an episode.

Goodnight_Sweetheart.jpg
    Goodnight Sweetheart - of course! Loved it!

bug wrote: »

Love this thread.
    It was on Ormond Quay but is now closed as said but it didn't have that many north inner city pics. Plenty of the Rathgar/Rathmines variety as well as outer suburban pics. I think it was called the Historical Picture Shop or something like that.

• Advertisement

Goodnight Sweetheart - of course! Loved it!

Slightly OT but here's the first ever episode and there's more on YouTube.

To stay on topic... no one's guessed my last pic yet, so maybe more luck with this one from 1952?

1952-1.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

attachment.php?attachmentid=55955&stc=1&d=1210633014

I like the way the young couple appear to be walking through a time warp!.

Three guys in Toppers from hegaty's- "We'll stick the scaffolding up-should be down by xmas."

1952-1.jpg

Is it also on Dorset Street.. the curve in the road looks kinda similar... The tallest Building on the left would be little Kavanaghs, If I'm right?

flynnc8 wrote: »
    Is it also on Dorset Street.. the curve in the road looks kinda similar... The tallest Building on the left would be little Kavanaghs, If I'm right?

It does look a bit like Dorset St.... but nope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It does look a bit like Dorset St.... but nope.

Aungier Street looking North?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Looking down d'olier st towards o'connell bridge.(Doyles on left and screen cinema on right)

deswalsh wrote: »
    Aungier Street looking North?

Good one! Ya got it.

Here it is before I cropped a bit to make it less familiar.

Love yer man's suit.... and the girl racers.

AungierStreet1952-1.jpg

Was Aungier Street broadened at some point... The road is much wider than that now.... or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Mark 00

Rashers, where did ya get all these photos? They're bloody brilliant!

I did a course in UCD a few years back on the history and development of Dublin from viking times right up to the present. Really interesting stuff.

Would advise anyone to get a book on the subject. Ya wont be dissapointed. ;)

• Advertisement

Mark 00 wrote: »
    Rashers, where did ya get all these photos? They're bloody brilliant!

Thank you. I love this city and especially her history.
    I did a course in UCD a few years back on the history and development of Dublin from viking times right up to the present. Really interesting stuff.

That's something I'd love to do. I have a great interest in Dublin since the Vikings
    Would advise anyone to get a book on the subject. Ya wont be dissapointed. ;)

Try a book called Dublin by Peter Somerville-Large. I could recommend a lot of books.... Villages of Dublin by Pat Liddy is a good one too.... Dublin be Proud..... the list is endless.

There's a good DVD available too called Medieval Dublin (from Vikings to Tudors).

From 1953.... where?

1953.jpg

Advertisement