Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JP Poker Masters Live Updates - Day 1

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭MarkT1234

eagle eye wrote: »
    My personal opinion is that you played the hand horribly and still managed to win it with a donk call.
    I don't know Lloyd or you and have never played with either of you, so my thoughts are based entirely on what has been posted in the relevant threads.

Read Caro's book of tells...useful for donk calls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭HoLLLLLaments

MarkT1234 wrote: »
    haha

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Russh

Fed up of all this bluffing lark in poker...!...God help the next fecker that tries to bluff me....

Welcome Mark.....! Good Call.....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I decide to find out where I'm at and quickly reraise to 6K.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hi Folks,

I'm the "pub player" who made the "bad" call that sent Lloyd to the rails and oh that a simple hand history such as the above should always be enough to class someone as a bad player.

Let me take you through the hand as I saw it. Chip leader at the table and with a looser image than I may normally like early in a tournament, I look down in mid-pos at 33. I out in a 2.5x (standard in my book) and Lloyd on the button 3 bets it. I have Lloyd down as TAG Solid but with my stack decide to call the re-raise for set value. Flop is 777 and I check. Lloyd quickly checks behind. Turn card is 4 and I check. Lloyd bets 2K into 3.3K pot. From the check on the flop, I think I may have the best hand but as AA - 10 10 may have checked that flop, I decide to find out where I'm at and quickly reraise to 6K. Now, Lloyds shove did indicate he was slow playing a big pair and so I went into the tank for 2 - 3 minutes and went through the hand again from start. I then took the time to look at Lloyd for ~30 - 40 seconds and he didn't look comfortable at all, in fact his breathing was very heavy. Based solely on this read I decided I had the best hand (versus AK, AQ) and made the call. I can't say I was certain but I went with my read. Sometimes it's not about the cards.

I think it was a very ballsy play on Lloyds part and I have a lot of respect for it.

Direct from Caro's book of tells

3. Noisy breathing. One of the most powerful tells in poker is noisy breathing. Listen for it. It means that the player usually holds a strong hand. Players who are bluffing generally try to control their breathing or don't breathe at all. Players who are weak do not breathe especially audibly. Ragged or heavy breathing (unless faked) almost always is a sure sign of a strong hand. Add that to your playbook, and fold often when you hear heavy breathing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lazare

Mark I played with you yesterday (you busted me too) and I like you, you're a nice guy, but the above is prolly the best pwnage I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lazare

Fwiw, MarkT1234 pulled off two of the ballsiest 4-bet bluffs I've ever seen in tournament poker yesterday, he showed both, which in turn led to me giving him my tank. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

in poker i
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Direct from Caro's book of tells

3. Noisy breathing. One of the most powerful tells s noisy breathing. Listen for it. It means that the player usually holds a strong hand. Players who are bluffing generally try to control their breathing or don't breathe at all. Players who are weak do not breathe especially audibly. Ragged or heavy breathing (unless faked) almost always is a sure sign of a strong hand. Add that to your playbook, and fold often when you hear heavy breathing.

Absolute classic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

wow so following the gospel according to caro, lloyd was in fact either giving off a false tell or he was sure his hand was good........gets rather confusing doesnt it, ......i believe this so called bad pub player took down the ultimate bet 200k recently.........

donkaments are donkaments its time we said wp and move on when we fk up.....blaming the opponent and then rediculing him is bad sportsmanship..............When im bluffing sometimes i breathe sometimes i fart sometimes i scratch me arse, i only hold my breath when i hit the jacks during a poker tourny

good call imo. bin the caro book of tells , the secrets out we are all breathing this yer....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭westlife

al10pin wrote: »
    Laura could please pass on my thanks to JP for offereing to refund my buy-in when I had to leave due to family circumstances. This wasn't necessary and I hope it doesn't cause any problems with payouts etc. If there are any problems at all I will amke sure to put it back into the pool.

Unfortunately my brother passed away earlier this evening. Some of those involved in poker and horse racing would have known Paul, as he was head of PR with Boylesports, and used to do all the betting on RTE radio.

Thanks again

Mark Magee

For those who didn't know Paul he was a top guy (great sportsman, one of the best Junior Soccer players i have ever seen and a World Class Ten Pin Bowler) and a real good person to know. When I started my Company a few years back Paul was a great help and was the first one to support me at any of my promotional nights (he loved a good party night!). To Mark and all the family my deepest sympathies to you all and he will be sadly missed.....Rest in peace my friend

Phil Baker and family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

YULETIRED wrote: »
    wow so following the gospel according to caro, lloyd was in fact either giving off a false tell or he was sure his hand was good........gets rather confusing doesnt it, ......i believe this so called bad pub player took down the ultimate bet 200k recently.........

donkaments are donkaments its time we said wp and move on when we fk up.....blaming the opponent and then rediculing him is bad sportsmanship..............When im bluffing sometimes i breathe sometimes i fart sometimes i scratch me arse, i only hold my breath when i hit the jacks during a poker tourny

good call imo. bin the caro book of tells , the secrets out we are all breathing this yer....:rolleyes:
    Hey man, I had no intention of pursuing this any further, but had to call his allin with the Caro bluff, cause I had the nutz. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 al10pin

Phil,

Thanks for the note. Today was tough tomorrow will be harder.

Advertisement