Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escalators - why won't people walk???!!! and why do poeple drive their kid to school?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I think the places with escalators and no stairs can be counted on one hand therefore I fail to see why some of the folk who want to rush everyone/exercise more would not use the stairs instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I quickly learnt that it was faster to run on the corridor beside the travelator rather than get stuck behind a slow Irish family!

Speaking of airports- ever get stuck behind 'the family' at check in - hassled mother with a million passports in her hand while the imbecile husband tries to repack their bags coz they were the only family that didn't know the luggage allowence or not to pack liquids!
    What country are you from collins? It must be ireland with a name like that. Next time you are going on a flight get up an hour earlier that way you won't have to be running like a fool around the airport to catch your flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What country are you from collins? It must be ireland with a name like that. Next time you are going on a flight get up an hour earlier that way you won't have to be running like a fool around the airport to catch your flight.

What a ridiculous post. You obviously voted 'lazy'. :pac:

BTW - I am from Ireland but have seen how courteous travellers in other countries can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

What a ridiculous post. You obviously voted 'lazy'. :pac:

BTW - I am from Ireland but have seen how courteous travellers in other countries can be.

What I like is how these people defend their lack of courtesy, as though being rude to others should be accepted or back to what I was saying on how ignorant people are never wrong. Whoever points out that they are doing wrong are in their eyes doing wrong as it is "none of their business" how the savages behave in public. :rolleyes:

paulm17781 wrote: »
    What I like is how these people defend their lack of courtesy, as though being rude to others should be accepted or back to what I was saying on how ignorant people are never wrong. Whoever points out that they are doing wrong are in their eyes doing wrong as it is "none of their business" how the savages behave in public. :rolleyes:

Its a bit like when you're in you car & you blow the horn an some eejit pedestrian who walk out in front of the car, you get an angry glare and fists banged on the bonnet. It's as if they have a 'right' to try and kill themselve with your car. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I quickly learnt that it was faster to run on the corridor beside the travelator rather than get stuck behind a slow Irish family!

Speaking of airports- ever get stuck behind 'the family' at check in - hassled mother with a million passports in her hand while the imbecile husband tries to repack their bags coz they were the only family that didn't know the luggage allowence or not to pack liquids!

I've had both of those. Not just in Ireland though (not a lot of travelators in Ireland). Generally 90% of people will leave room on the travelator to allow people walking to get past. 10% of them are oblivious though. It doesn't annoy me if they've got a big trolly or a pile of bags, there's not much they can do about that. It is annoying though when you come up against a few people who use it as an opportunity to chat. You'll get piles of time to chat when you get to the gate or on your plane.

I was in Boston last year. It took about 45 mins of queuing to get to the X-Ray machine. In that time people were walking up and down explaining the liquid rule (how it's a terrorist substance or something), it was on TV screens and posters. I still managed to get right behind a couple with their kids with water or liquid in every bit of carry on luggage and apparantly it was news to them. I know they had kids but still, 45 mins is enough time to open your eyes.

To the guy who said get up earlier. That's dead handy when a flight is delayed and you arrive at a connecting airport with shag all time to spare to get to the next gate for your onward flight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

since when is Belfast in the republic of Ireland?

Didn't see Republic as you hadn't capitalised it.

Theres still a decent list of them there, though.

Its a bit like when you're in you car & you blow the horn an some eejit pedestrian who walk out in front of the car, you get an angry glare and fists banged on the bonnet. It's as if they have a 'right' to try and kill themselve with your car. :mad:

Even though they broke the law crossing when it was your right of way. I don't understand those types, the sad thing is they are everywhere here and do little other than annoy everyone.

To the guy who said get up earlier. That's dead handy when a flight is delayed and you arrive at a connecting airport with shag all time to spare to get to the next gate for your onward flight.
    If he lives in the republic of Ireland there aren't too many connecting flights.

Yes them ejits really annoy me but I gave up blowing the horn at them years ago as it is pointless because they will do the same next time they cross the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Can someone fix the poll so that I can be lazy and drive my flash car...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

If he lives in the republic of Ireland there aren't too many connecting flights.

People in the Republic Of Ireland don't fly to places that need connecting flights??????

So if you're flying to Sydney how do you get there from Dublin?
    If you're going to certain airports in London you have to fly from Dublin. If you're in Cork you can train / bus / fly to Dublin and then onward to London?

Maybe you meant if he's flying only within Ireland there are no connecting flights.

Yes them ejits really annoy me but I gave up blowing the horn at them years ago as it is pointless because they will do the same next time they cross the road.

So anything that inconveniences you is bad, but you don't care if you inconvenience others?

So anything that inconveniences you is bad, but you don't care if you inconvenience others?
    You are jumping to conclusions, just because I disagree with the op suddenly I am the person that blocks escalators.

People in the Republic Of Ireland don't fly to places that need connecting flights??????

So if you're flying to Sydney how do you get there from Dublin?
    If you're going to certain airports in London you have to fly from Dublin. If you're in Cork you can train / bus / fly to Dublin and then onward to London?

Maybe you meant if he's flying only within Ireland there are no connecting flights.
    I don't know if you read the thread it's about people using escalators in Ireland, so anyone that read the thread would click that it was connecting flights within Ireland.

You are jumping to conclusions, just because I disagree with the op suddenly I am the person that blocks escalators.

I'd hardly say I'm jumping to conclusions. You've spent the thread defending peoples right to do this and said those of us who want to go faster should use the stairs (not always a viable option). That is reaching a conclusion, not jumping to one.

I'd hardly say I'm jumping to conclusions. You've spent the thread defending peoples right to do this and said those of us who want to go faster should use the stairs (not always a viable option). That is reaching a conclusion, not jumping to one.
    Ok so which person is blocking the stairs is it the person on the left or the right? There are no signs here saying to stay on right if you are standing. The point I was making earlier was that escalators in Ireland are so short that it doesn't make much of a difference whether you walk or stand. If I am using an escalator on my own how could I obstruct anyone from walking up beside me?

Ok so which person is blocking the stairs is it the person on the left or the right?

It's irrelevant, it's people's belief that they have no need to move or must stand side by side. FWIW, I always stand to the same side as most people I see, there are no signs but it's not impossible to try to keep a gap for others to get by.
    The point I was making earlier was that escalators in Ireland are so short that it doesn't make much of a difference whether you walk or stand.

To you perhaps, some of us like to walk fast. Just because they're short, it doesn't mean others don't want to get by quicker.
    If I am using an escalator on my own how could I obstruct anyone from walking up beside me?

Honestly, is that a real question?

It's irrelevant, it's people's belief that they have no need to move or must stand side by side. FWIW, I always stand to the same side as most people I see, there are no signs but it's not impossible to try to keep a gap for others to get by.
    But you are complaining about people blocking the way, how can you stand at the same side as everyone else.

To you perhaps, some of us like to walk fast. Just because they're short, it doesn't mean others don't want to get by quicker.
    I don't block escalators so you can run, jump or hop up it. I won't hold you up.

Honestly, is that a real question?
    Honestly is that a real answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Don't bother feed the trolls.

• Advertisement

Verb wrote: »
    Don't bother feed the trolls.

Yeah you're right, I was going on the off chance it wasn't a troll. He proved me wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Poll is a little too simplistic.

1) escalators - depends on how much I have to carry and how tired I am. If I have a lot to carry I stand. If I am very tired I stand. I do not stand in the middle and I let people by if I am standing. If I am not weighed down by shopping or not shattered from a day running around the city, I walk up them. But they are very disorienting if you are wearing high heels which is something a lot of you guys might not know.

2) I don't have kids. If I did, the following criteria come into play

a) are they on my way to work.
    b) what is the weather like
    c) how safe is the route to their school.
    d) how far from school they are; and
    e) what age they are.
    f) how likely they are to skip school.

Yeah you're right, I was going on the off chance it wasn't a troll. He proved me wrong though.
    When you can't defend yourself you use troll as an excuse.

oh yeah,

cool it you two. It's the bank holiday weekend and I am not a machine.

Calina wrote: »
    Poll is a little too simplistic.

1) escalators - depends on how much I have to carry and how tired I am. If I have a lot to carry I stand. If I am very tired I stand. I do not stand in the middle and I let people by if I am standing. If I am not weighed down by shopping or not shattered from a day running around the city, I walk up them. But they are very disorienting if you are wearing high heels which is something a lot of you guys might not know.

2) I don't have kids. If I did, the following criteria come into play

a) are they on my way to work.
    b) what is the weather like
    c) how safe is the route to their school.
    d) how far from school they are; and
    e) what age they are.
    f) how likely they are to skip school.

High heels disorienting - what planet are you on?!?! Wear flats if they cause you that many problems! :pac:

OK...on the kids thing

a) who cares - the exercise will do them good
    b) when did a little wind or rain every hurt anyone
    c) very safe when lots of other kids & rush hour traffic around. It is your responsibility as a parent to make your kids streetwise - if they are always in a car how is this possible
    d) public transport maybe - and or walk!
    e) an obvious one - but whay not walk with them??!!
    f) if that is a woory you are obviously a very very very very bad parent! :D

When you can't defend yourself you use troll as an excuse.

Because you're tedious and I have better things to do than argue with a troll. Your counter arguments don't even go against what I'm saying so I'd rather not bother. Example:

Paul: I stay to the same side as most people.
    Troll: But you are complaining about people blocking the way, how can you stand at the same side as everyone else.

See they're two different statements and I couldn't be bothered with you anymore. You bore me.

Sorry Calina, I'm not going to reply to it anymore, just saying it's not that I can't argue I just see no point. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Irish people in particular treat escalators and travelators like fairground rides, and so want to get their money's worth by spending as much time on them as possible.

Enjoy the ride, stand to one side.

That should be on signs on them all.

Another peculiarly Irish event is the "stop at the top for a chat or a good look round" which is always a good idea when you're being followed by a pram-wielding person on their way up the travelator in the Blanch SC...:rolleyes:

Because you're tedious and I have better things to do than argue with a troll. Your counter arguments don't even go against what I'm saying so I'd rather not bother. Example:

Paul: I stay to the same side as most people.
    Troll: But you are complaining about people blocking the way, how can you stand at the same side as everyone else.

See they're two different statements and I couldn't be bothered with you anymore. You bore me.

Sorry Calina, I'm not going to reply to it anymore, just saying it's not that I can't argue I just see no point. :)
    Well go this time because you are talking nonsense If you stand at the same side as most people then most people stand at one side which makes the op's question obsolete GET IT?

High heels disorienting - what planet are you on?!?! Wear flats if they cause you that many problems! :pac:

OK...on the kids thing

a) who cares - the exercise will do them good
    b) when did a little wind or rain every hurt anyone
    c) very safe when lots of other kids & rush hour traffic around. It is your responsibility as a parent to make your kids streetwise - if they are always in a car how is this possible
    d) public transport maybe - and or walk!
    e) an obvious one - but whay not walk with them??!!
    f) if that is a woory you are obviously a very very very very bad parent! :D

Please grow up. Sometimes I wear high heels, sometime I don't. I realise that on the internet thing it may be a naive assumption but it's unlikely you know how to wear them. I do and I will generally not walk up or down escalators when I am wearing them. Since quite a few of the men around me appreciate the high heels, and I don't block escalators, I don't get what your problem is.

As for the kids - I don't have any but it's not your place to comment on my parenting.

a) If their school is on my way to work and my work is not within walking distance then it is more time efficient for me to drop them to school on the way to work than it is to walk to school with them and then go back and get the car. Work may not - and in this city frequently is not - easily accessible by public transport.

b) A little wind and rain and snow and hailstones can be rather nasty if the walk is more than 5 minutes. For the vast majority of people in this city, the walk to school is often more than five minutes

c) When I do this depends on what age they are. I'm reluctant to fling them out into the great nothing at the age of 4 and 5 if you don't mind. Also please note that not everyone lives in happy urban Dublin in the best of worlds. There may not be pavements, there may not be loads of other kids and parents and there may not be rush hour traffic. There may, however, be large trucks from which toddlers are hard to see.

d) not everyone has access to public transport and not everyone is close enough to walk to school.

e) It might not be an option for other practical details involved trying to balance the fact that some people have jobs too.

f) if you think that only bad parents have kids who skip school you are very, very naive.

Sam Kade, please note that I don't like banning or infracting people for upsetting the atmosphere of discussion. This does not mean I won't do it. Consider it a last warning.

• Advertisement

Another peculiarly Irish event is the "stop at the top for a chat or a good look round" which is always a good idea when you're being followed by a pram-wielding person on their way up the travelator in the Blanch SC...:rolleyes:

It doesn't matter if they have a pram or not. Stopping at the end of an escalator and not clearing the space can lead to accidents. It's more than averagely thoughtless and stupid. And it seems to be prevalent in Blanch in particular.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement