Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escalators - why won't people walk???!!! and why do poeple drive their kid to school?

Options
  • 29-04-2008 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

What do Irish people have against walking on an escalator?? Instead, they stand 2 by 2 while some of us get frustrated standing behind them. Would it be so hard to show a bit of cpurtesy & 'stand on the left' - or even, walk? We are not exactly the skinniets nation so about about a little morning & evening exercise?

Which brink me on to - yummy mummies driving their kids the 5 minute walk to work! When I was in school, I walked the mile and a half there and back, in all weathers, as did everyone else. Can no one see that their kids are getting fat & lazy in front of their eyes? Why is it necessary to drive a strapping young teenager to school?

Do you stand or walk? Do you drive kids 2 school or do they walk/use public transport 51 votes

I stand on the escalator coz I'm lazy!
    0% 0 votes
    I walk on the escalator - if the lazy people get out of my way!
    27% 14 votes
    I drive my kids to school - must show off flash car to other yummy mummies!
    70% 36 votes
    The kids walk to school - or get bus/dart/luas - they need the exercise!
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Because, because, because.

The last time escalator etiquette was discussed in AH: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055247519&highlight=Escalator

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

laziness and comfort ,the banalities of modern day life also to do with having more money than one knows how to handle wisely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Never mind walking on one. Just stand to one F'N side would be enough. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

We need the signs they have in the UK - they work. and you get an earfull from an angry commuter of you get it wrong!

We need the signs they have in the UK - they work. and you get an earfull from an angry commuter of you get it wrong!

People in the UK do that though. If you give out to someone in the wrong, they often apologise. Here you get stabbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

here we only have escalators in shopping centers mostly, in the UK there are esclators in the tube stations with people rushing to work and comming home from work. Who the hell is in a rush in a shopping center?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

paulm17781 wrote: »
    People in the UK do that though. If you give out to someone in the wrong, they often apologise. Here you get stabbed.
    Obviously exaggerating, but you're right to a certain degree. In this country if you complain or even say "Excuse me" to ask someone to move, you're seen as a rude ****er and people will go out of their way to annoy you.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    here we only have escalators in shopping centers mostly, in the UK there are esclators in the tube stations with people rushing to work and comming home from work. Who the hell is in a rush in a shopping center?

People on their lunch breaks, people who get urgent phone calls, people who hate crowds and want to get out ASAP, people running for a train I can go on for days with these.

It shouldn't matter whether people are rushing or not. If someone wants to get up the escalator quicker, this shouldn't be a problem. Why people are so inconsiderate in this country I'll never understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I generally avoid the escalators and use the stairs when I am looking for exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Who the hell is in a rush in a shopping center?
    Me! I like to go in, buy what I need and get out in as short as time as is humanly possible ... horrible, horrible places.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Me! I like to go in, buy what I need and get out in as short as time as is humanly possible ... horrible, horrible places.

Well put. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭kim_eire

one day was driving down a main street in a town when the person in front of me stopped, rolled down the window and started having a chat wit his mate, who was blocking the other row of cars, i beeped and the passenger stuck her ignorant head out the window and started cursing and roaring. what makes a person think they are so important that they can block a main street wit loads of traffic just to have a chat!!
    people are so rude now a days and they dont give a damn about other people, id say some people even intentionally dont walk to delay others that would be in a rush!!!

kim_eire wrote: »
    what makes a person think they are so important that they can block a main street wit loads of traffic just to have a chat!!

It's a wonderful thing I've noticed lately. No matter what you do, the person who asks you not to do this will always be in the wrong, skangers smoking on buses is another example. The person who dislikes them smoking is wrong for asking them to not to smoke where it is illegal. :confused:

Also, I do see it as the exact same thing. One inconsiderate f*r is as bad as another.

Just because you are not in a rush doesn't mean that no-one else is either.

There are excalators in Dart Stations, train stations, air ports ...not just shoppoing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

As a kid I remember the escalator in the old Dublin airport building, I think it was the one of the firat ever installed in the country; we used to play on it for hours unsupervised, we wouldn’t get away with it now :)

Just because you are not in a rush doesn't mean that no-one else is either.

There are excalators in Dart Stations, train stations, air ports ...not just shoppoing
    I said shopping centers mostly but obviously you didn't take time to read it. By the way I am well used to rushing I often work 12 hour days. Most of the escalators here are only one story in length why don't you run up the stairs instead of moaning about escalators?

I said shopping centers mostly but obviously you didn't take time to read it. By the way I am well used to rushing I often work 12 hour days. Most of the escalators here are only one story in length why don't you run up the stairs instead of moaning about escalators?

There isn't always a stairs option!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Which brink me on to - yummy mummies driving their kids the 5 minute walk to work! When I was in school, I walked the mile and a half there and back, in all weathers, as did everyone else. Can no one see that their kids are getting fat & lazy in front of their eyes? Why is it necessary to drive a strapping young teenager to school?

because our kids are sooooo precious now, can't have them walking along safe pavements in broad daylight because it's such a dangerous world out there :rolleyes:.

Kids are cossetted to within an inch of their lives nowadays...

(I'm a father myself but some of the pampering you see is truly nuts)

There are excalators in Dart Stations, train stations
    Name a train station in the republic of Ireland with an escalator?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tara Street does IIRC ... or is it Pearse? Can't remember now.

Yep .. it's Tara Street

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/your_station.asp?letter=T

• Advertisement

Connolly Station
    Pearse Station

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There isn't always a stairs option!
    Is there anywhere in Ireland that doesn't have a stairs option?

To be honest, the whole point of an escalator is that you don't have to move. It's quite handy when you've been walking about all day and don't want ot have to try and tackle a staircase. Or in my case, and many others, when you're legs are f*cked and it's hard work climbing a flight of stairs.

Granted, people should stand to one side, but if you want to get by, just ask. If they scowl at you then just tell them they're ignorant c*nts and push past them. They're only going to see you as the bad guy anyway, so you might as well be seen as the bad guy who now is past the people blocking him.

And as for driving kids for work, I'm surprised any of us managed to make it to adulthood in the past. You can't walk to school, you have to take vitamin drinks and yoghurt drinks with bacteria in them to stop yourself from dying, you can't play anymore because you might get hurt/killed/kidnapped, but luckily if you do anything wrong you won't be blamed. Your computer games/movie collection will be blamed and you'll be given pills to combat your ADD. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I used to work in the airport what used to make me laugh was there would be a bing family who would stand on the travelator that heads down to pier A and people who were running late to catch their flight would always stand in thier way. I never got this concept its a level moving travelator it does not go up or down but people still see the need to stand on it. Thats not why it was put there it was put there to make the journey between the main terminal builing and Pier A faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Think it's a cultural thing - like not clearing the table after ya at McDonald's when the rest of the western world manages it. Was getting off the ferry with my dad recently and he purposefully moved to the 'free' side of the escalator with his case, barring access to anybody would might be coming behind him. Blissfully unaware that anybody might have been trying to catch a bus or a train. If he did the same thing in the London Underground, he'd be f**ed out of it. Thing is, he lived in London for years, and probably wouldn't dare chance it there. But, sure, here at home, things are different...

jjbrien wrote: »
    I used to work in the airport what used to make me laugh was there would be a bing family who would stand on the travelator that heads down to pier A and people who were running late to catch their flight would always stand in thier way. I never got this concept its a level moving travelator it does not go up or down but people still see the need to stand on it. Thats not why it was put there it was put there to make the journey between the main terminal builing and Pier A faster.

I quickly learnt that it was faster to run on the corridor beside the travelator rather than get stuck behind a slow Irish family!

Speaking of airports- ever get stuck behind 'the family' at check in - hassled mother with a million passports in her hand while the imbecile husband tries to repack their bags coz they were the only family that didn't know the luggage allowence or not to pack liquids!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,281 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Connolly, Tara, Pearse, Belfast Central, do none of the new ones (Pheonix Park, Adamstown, etc) have them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Rejoining The Commonwealth would solve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

MYOB wrote: »
    Connolly, Tara, Pearse, Belfast Central, do none of the new ones (Pheonix Park, Adamstown, etc) have them too?

:rolleyes:

Just to add, I normally use stairs as they're faster. I prefer to use escalators (and walk!!!) as they're faster again.

It's ignoramuses like chappy here are the problem. If people would only have a little consideration and move to one side we could all be happy.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    since when is Belfast in the republic of Ireland?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement