Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think Global Warming is BS?

Options
  • 19-04-2008 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Well do you think we caused it or its the Earths natural cycle, think about it, the Ice Age disappeared many moons ago and back then we didnt have the pollution that we have today.:pac:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

omgz, you just totally solved everything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

+1

I am very suspicious of the whole thing. In some ways I see as more money to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Doesnt really matter what the cause is, we will just have to deal with the effects. Not sure how bad it will all be though.. But it doesn't seem good by any means. Islands are dissapearing already
    http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/disappearing-world-global-warming-claims-tropical-island-429764.html
    , its when it hits any of the poorer sea level heavily populated areas like Bangledesh that the throuble will start. Refugees scambling all over. Going too be pretty bad if that starts. All this coupled with rising food prices is going to make the future pretty pircey cost of living wise.

Steyr wrote: »
    Well do you think we caused it or its the Earths natural cycle, think about it, the Ice Age disappeared many moons ago and back then we didnt have the pollution that we have today.:pac:

How could I but agree when faced with such well reasoned and supported debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

No, I don't think it's BS. There's too much evidence to the contrary.
    If Ireland gets flooded, apparently Cork will be the first place gone because the city is built at sea level (or so I was told....if that's wrong someone correct me!) If so, I'm screwed!:eek: I can't swim :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Steyr wrote: »

The fact that Mars is warming at the the same rate as us pretty much convinced me on the subject.

Cow farts FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Mostly BS.
    It is like the new religion for the 21 century. Complete with high priests, Mr Duncan Stewart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

There is astronomical amounts of money to be made for 'Green' energy companies, and businesses selling 'Green' products.
    'Energy conservation' i.e. stop using pollutive energy sources; fossil fuels. Tax us normal folk when all we need is nuclear power and then we can waste all we want!
    BS TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Total BS in my opinion. Every decade scientists seem to come up with something "terrible" thats going to kill us all just to get the research dollars rolling in. My case in point, the hole in the o-zone layer was big news in the 90's, you dont seem to hear too much news of it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

BrightEyes wrote: »
    There is astronomical amounts of money to be made for 'Green' energy companies, and businesses selling 'Green' products.
    'Energy conservation' i.e. stop using pollutive energy sources; fossil fuels. Tax us normal folk when all we need is nuclear power and then we can waste all we want!
    BS TBH
    caoibhin wrote: »
    Mostly BS.
    It is like the new religion for the 21 century. Complete with high priests, Mr Duncan Stewart.
    Willstev wrote: »
    +1

I am very suspicious of the whole thing. In some ways I see as more money to be made.

Science wants a word with you, all of you.
    And it's not a friendly word either.

• Advertisement

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Total BS in my opinion. Every decade scientists seem to come up with something "terrible" thats going to kill us all just to get the research dollars rolling in. My case in point, the hole in the o-zone layer was big news in the 90's, you dont seem to hear too much news of it now.

You too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

BS, bull/cow fart, insect fart, it's a cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The Cyclic warming of the earth is a natural thing but the worrying thing bout it is that now due to all the Green House Gases, it's happening at a much faster rate than ever before.
    Like the cyclic climate change and temperature rise/fall usually happens over a period of 1000's of years. Giving enough time for all the species to adapt to the changes taking place.

But now due to the increase in greenhouse gasses (after the industrial revolution), its happening over the course of just 100's of years. About 10 times faster rate. This is giving not sufficient time for the species to adapt to the change and resulting in serious problems.

And anyone who says climate change is BS, go to Africa. Climate change doesn't effect everyone equally. All it has done to Ireland is that no more snow in winters and warmer summers. But in places like africa where the seasonal changes are more drastic, it is causing in rivers to dry up and decrease in rainfall causing serve draughts and famines.

So Climate change and Global Warming ARE serious problems and they should be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Global warming isn't bull****

Who cares who or what caused it, its happening

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

galwayrush wrote: »
    BS, bull/cow fart, insect fart, it's a cycle.

:D or :mad:

not sure what you mean.

Cow farts produce more "planet killing" emmissions than our road traffic does.

On the other hand, the ozone hole hasn't been in the media lately because, thanks to the likes or Ryanscare, "planet killing" aricraft emit enough ozone to keep it under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

So who's going to tell over 2 billion people in China, India and some African countries they can't have Fridges, Cars, Heating for their homes?:rolleyes:

The Cyclic warming of the earth is a natural thing but the worrying thing bout it is that now due to all the Green House Gases, it's happening at a much faster rate than ever before.
    Like the cyclic climate change and temperature rise/fall usually happens over a period of 1000's of years. Giving enough time for all the species to adapt to the changes taking place.

But now due to the increase in greenhouse gasses (after the industrial revolution), its happening over the course of just 100's of years. About 10 times faster rate. This is giving not sufficient time for the species to adapt to the change and resulting in serious problems.

And anyone who says climate change is BS, go to Africa. Climate change doesn't effect everyone equally. All it has done to Ireland is that no more snow in winters and warmer summers. But in places like africa where the seasonal changes are more drastic, it is causing in rivers to dry up and decrease in rainfall causing serve draughts and famines.

So Climate change and Global Warming ARE serious problems and they should be taken seriously.

How do you explain the fact that average global temperatures have dropped over the last two years?

sorry no link, heard it on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i had a rant written to accompany the following link but i got logged out for some reason when i went to post and now its gone i do feel much calmer but i've forgotten what i wanted to post, hate when that happens!

short answer- yes.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=20070315&articleId=5086

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

Scientists dont just decide to make up crazy claims how we are all doomed. Plus just because something is not in the papers does not mean its not there. There is still a hole in the ozone layer but at least we have cut down on CFC usage to try and fix the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Let's face it, if you were actually good at science you'd go into medicine, space travel, particle physics, genetics; not "climatology".

WEST wrote: »
    Scientists dont just decide to make up crazy claims how we are all doomed. Plus just because something is not in the papers does not mean its not there.

Correct, they'd be scientologists...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

And anyone who says climate change is BS, go to Africa. Climate change doesn't effect everyone equally. All it has done to Ireland is that no more snow in winters and warmer summers. But in places like africa where the seasonal changes are more drastic, it is causing in rivers to dry up and decrease in rainfall causing serve draughts and famines.QUOTE]

Climate has always changed, the Sahara area was lush and tropical in Roman times. The drought in parts of Africa owe far more to overgrazing and deforestation than to CO2 in the atmosphere. How about the mini ice-age in Britain in the 1500s, the Thames would freeze solid, they held ice-fairs!
    The question is whether change is being influenced by human activity. Maybe - personally I think the whole carbon credit thing is a huge moneymaking scam, ditto biofuels. I know some people involved in research in this area, and I've seen firsthand how they can direct and skew their conclusions in order to get 'interesting' results - a negative result isn't great for publishing papers. And the funding for anything with reference to global warming is great!

Let's face it, if you were actually good at science you'd go into medicine, space travel, particle physics, genetics; not "climatology".

Climatology is the study of the earths incredibly complex atmosphere a system that takes into account, amongst others, interactions between the atmosphere itself, the oceans, land surface, and ice, it's hardly a 'stupid' science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

WEST wrote: »
    Plus just because something is not in the papers does not mean its not there.

excuse me? not in the papers? bloody hell it hasn't been OUT of the papers, or the news, or government speeches, or corporate speeches, you can't even bat an eyelid wothout being told "only blink once an hour to save energy, think of the planet!".

ok i threw the last one in there but you get the idea, im sick of the sensationalism!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Taken seriously, sure. Just once we don't fool ourselves into thinking we can do a damn thing to stop it or ease it's onset...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No, I don't think it's bs. We didn't even get a spring this year. Winter still hasn't ended. It's freezing every day, and I've already seen 3 really heavy hail storms in the past 3 or 4 weeks.

We are definately contributing to it. It's fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Haha you just proved yourself wrong with that example you gave!! The Ozone layer was a HUGE problem. The reason it isnt anymore is because that problem was solved. CFCs caused ozone layer destruction. So research was put into alternative chemicals to use in the applications CFCs were used in. CFCs are no longer used anymore and therefore the Ozone layer is repairing itself veeeerrry slowly. Problem solved or improving anyway!

And as for global warming, thats happening for definite whats causing it is the question. It doesnt really matter really as far as I can see. What we do to help prevent it can only improve the situation. We have to switch our dependence from fossil fuels anyway global warming or not for two simple reasons, 1) they are running out 2) the pollution is causing serious health problems etc. just look at the smog in some major cities of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Probably as real as the Y2K bug. Snyper will be around shortly to take your order for solar panels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

But there's the catch, you stick the word 'climate' into your scientific research and you will be skipped to the front of the queue for funding your project (and ultimately also paying your salary). A mate of mine has had real problems with this and has seen colleagues get all sorts of research funded as it was environmental linked, big business the environment and climate change...

Advertisement