Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 and CPW (in UK) cut 8GB iPhone price by £100

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,902 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

its not really

we really do get shafted over here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

Cyrus wrote: »
    its not really

we really do get shafted over here!

Especially with the exchange rate. makes no sense whatsoever to buy down here then.
    Its a lovely phone and even without 3g 169GBP is a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

That forum a few posts previous has someone who says they bought on on cpw.co.uk and weren't signed up to a contract automatically

Pity they dont post to Ireland, also a pity I live as far as you could possibly be from NI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭randombar

Lads can anyone confirm that I could head up to CPW from Dublin on Sunday and buy one without contract? Bit of a drive if I can't? Can'tGetNo, if I can buy two I'll sus out if I can get ya one?

Stooge what did your mate say?

call them :pac:

• Advertisement

"Hi, I want to drive up from dublin sunday morning to buy one of your phones and unlock it, can I do so?" :D

an hours drive, so so tempting!

http://www1.accessplace.com/default_new.php

GaryCocs wrote: »
    "Hi, I want to drive up from dublin sunday morning to buy one of your phones and unlock it, can I do so?" :D

or you could try, do you sell iphones without contracts? :D

Ha ya I did ring them there, all you need a chip and pin credit card! Limited to one per customer. He was saying something about doing a credit check for the o2 contract and needing a UK address but that's done online after i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

He basically said what you posted. The last time I talked to him he said how O2 had been complaining to CPW because people were getting away with an iphone and no contract. Last night he said that they reduced the price because they wanted rid of the stock and also because they thought it might entice people onto the contract.

You buy the phone and they get your name and address. Do a quick credit check but dont actually sign you up for the contract as they leave it up to you which one to choose when you connect to itunes. You still need a name address and credit history in the uk though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

stooge wrote: »
    He basically said what you posted. The last time I talked to him he said how O2 had been complaining to CPW because people were getting away with an iphone and no contract. Last night he said that they reduced the price because they wanted rid of the stock and also because they thought it might entice people onto the contract.

You buy the phone and they get your name and address. Do a quick credit check but dont actually sign you up for the contract as they leave it up to you which one to choose when you connect to itunes. You still need a name and address in the uk though. I'm actually heading up north tomorrow for his sisters wedding so might pick myself up one:D

i hate all of you. :(;)

Although i got mine today from mr postman! :)

Lads can anyone confirm that I could head up to CPW from Dublin on Sunday and buy one without contract? Bit of a drive if I can't? Can'tGetNo, if I can buy two I'll sus out if I can get ya one?

I think you'd find it much more difficult to buy two, cheers for the offer though

They are €99 in Germany though so if the procedure is the same for buying them and signing the contract over there i'm going to chance it when i'm over there in the next couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

They are €99 in Germany though so if the procedure is the same for buying them and signing the contract over there i'm going to chance it when i'm over there in the next couple of months
    It's probably only for a limited time, so I wouldn't risk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Probably a very simple question and the answer is hidden away somewhere, but if you unlock the phone can it also be used with RTG sims ?

Jip wrote: »
    Probably a very simple question and the answer is hidden away somewhere, but if you unlock the phone can it also be used with RTG sims ?
    Yep.. all networks are supported (bar '3 Ireland').

You buy the phone and they get your name and address. Do a quick credit check but dont actually sign you up for the contract as they leave it up to you which one to choose when you connect to itunes. You still need a name address and credit history in the uk though.

Ah so you do need a name and address and credit check, so it all has to be legit, I can't say Gary Corcoran, 1 Belfast Rd, Belfast

BALLS

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

I bought one today in NI.

1. If you buy in CPW store they make you sign a contract which says if you don't activate the phone within 14 days they will charge you £219. You have 7 days to make up your mind or return it :D

2. If you buy in O2 store you just supply a valid postcode (Like BT34 1OQ, which is Kildare St in Newry). Pay £169 buy credit card or debit card. The receipt does not say anything about activation/contract etc.

The O2 store is in Buttercrane Centre in Newry

Jip wrote: »
    yeah

I'm off to Newry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Cheers Basquille and GaryCocs.

• Advertisement

Hey Mylow, could ya let me know what version they're selling and the fastest easiest way to unlock (i.e. a link or something will do!)

Hey Mylow, could ya let me know what version they're selling and the fastest easiest way to unlock (i.e. a link or something will do!)
    Whatcha mean what version they're selling GaryCocs? They're selling 8GB iPhones on v1.1.4 firmware.

As for unlocking, either iLiberty+ or Pwnage.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

what would happen if i plugged it in and Declined to choose a network?

Cool, I'll go back to the other thread for that, nice one Basquille.

Can't help you with your problem yet smith!

what would happen if i plugged it in and Declined to choose a network?

eh? to use it as a touch instead?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

If I was to go up next week and Say i was my cousin, I could Just buy it, Take it back to Dublin?

Would i need id?

If I was to go up next week and Say i was my cousin, I could Just buy it, Take it back to Dublin?

Would i need id?
    Think you have to pay by credit or debit card

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

For people asking about buying in the North here are my experiences:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55527318#post55527318

Car Phone Warehouse are strict about the contracts. O2 (unofficially) could give a flying foxtrot ultra charlie kango.

However this might change with the discounted price - if they are subsidising the price now, they might be stricter about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

Hi,

There is talk that people who bought iPhones from O2 UK, in the last month before the drop, might get a refund or a voucher. I am not talking about Carphone Warehouse.

Is this the case, and if so, has anyone here claimed it?

• Advertisement

Nice one for that, heading up sunday so I'll let you know how I get on!

Advertisement