Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

Ultravid wrote: »
    What is the atmosphere/ethos of the PSNI, including the training college? Would I be right in saying it's pretty macho, dog-eat-dog, survival of the fittest kind of place? Is it a harsh place to be?

Hi Ultravid,

One thing we were told at the SRN (which I assume is ok to say here) is that if we got this far in the process to be sitting in the classroom, then that means we should have the basis of doing the job. The PSNI have spent a lot of money to get us into Garnerville in the first place, and they don't want us to fail. They want to make sure we'll survive the streets (hence the 'games' psni mentions), but as far as I can see, if we got through Consensia's tests, we have displayed a lot of the characteristics we'll need for the job.

In Garnerville, they will test us, teach us and prepare us for policing - but they want to see us all get attested if we pass all these hurdles. And the hurdles will let us se if we really REALLY want to do the job, are capable of doing the job and if we will still want to do it in 10-20-30 years' time.

cheers
    Lis

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

The shouting is done mostly by your drill instructor, but he shouts at the squad and rarely at individuals if they fall out of step, but in a light-hearted way.

The rest of the shouting will be done by the role actors you will meet.

Yes, it's possible to develop a thick skin. Yes, people do become upset with what is going on around them in an unfamiliar setting, but in time it becomes second nature and you don't even hear the shouting anymore.

At the start, you're just expected to shut up and absorb whatever they throw at you. Don't get hung up on the shouting thing. Drill is only once a week for 2 hours these days, plus the odd morning for an hour for the first few weeks. It really starts to get hectic at around week 5, but then again the current S/O's will be able to verify whether that's still the case.
    Ultravid wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick and thorough response psni. I look forward to hearing from the newbies!

One other question: as regards those who are 'testing' you by shouting etc... - can you be poor when you go in but learn to deal with it? What I mean is, if at week 1 you cry when they shout at you, is there time to 'learn' to deal with it, get used to it, or develop 'scar tissue'? How much is expected of you at the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭fencingj

psni wrote: »
    The shouting is done mostly by your drill instructor, but he shouts at the squad and rarely at individuals if they fall out of step, but in a light-hearted way.

Yes, it's possible to develop a thick skin. Yes, people do become upset with what is going on around them in an unfamiliar setting, but in time it becomes second nature and you don't even hear the shouting anymore.

At the start, you're just expected to shut up and absorb whatever they throw at you. Don't get hung up on the shouting thing. Drill is only once a week for 2 hours these days, plus the odd morning for an hour for the first few weeks. It really starts to get hectic at around week 5, but then again the current S/O's will be able to verify whether that's still the case.
    Hey psni, just wondering - why does it get hectic at week 5? Anything to look forward to lol?

Hi folks,

for anyone who is bringing your Southern regged car to Garnerville. You're required by law to get it registered asap and within 6 months, with the Northern Ireland vehicle registration (so you'll get Northern plates).

Sounds easy, right? Nope! I spent 2 hours on the phone trying to find an insurance company who would (a) insure me in Belfast and (b) give me insurance that would cover the period of when the car is appying for registration, and onwards. (b) is because when you apply for car reg, you must have proof of insurance fom a UK company. And guess what? There ain't many companies who do both together, if at all. I found one who did (altho - they are fleecing me, so might jump companies as soon as I get the actual Northern reg sorted), so if you're doing this - PM me and I'll let you know details from what I have found.

cheers
    Lisa

PS - anyone who has done this tho - and found a company easy - can you let me know pls, cos would love to change mine!!!!
    PPS - am not pimping insurance companies btw - decided to post this cos I was beginning to think it was impossible. And I have moral objections to the company I found, altho, kinda stuck with them for now....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jerrry3

psni wrote: »

Hi everyone, I've just finished week 4 in Hotel Garnerville, will be on week 5 next Monday.
    I'm sure all the crew from the new squad will be eager to hear what its like!

Well , its a cliche but the time really has flown in. Before I started, I had the same questions and fears as everyone else on this thread - I was cacking it !!!! All I can say is, nerves and apprehension are totally normal, however there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Im sure it was mentioned on the Srn night, however I cant place enough importance on this - you WILL make an immediate bond with your squad mates. Remember, everyone is in the same boat. Its hard to believe now but I can say with 99% certainty, in 4-5weeks time, you will have some very, very close friends. If you find yourselves in challenging times - your squad mates will really help.

If you have a basic/good level of fitness to begin with, it will be a big advantage. However if you're not fit - help is available. Academically I think its pitched at just the right level. Im no genius but the method of teaching is very practical + engaging.

Lastly drill, I dont want to spoil the suprise, all I can say is 'Psni' hit the nail on the head when he mentioned 'please bring a sense of humour'. You will never forget your first drill lesson. Remember folks, you will not be alone.

jerrry3 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I've just finished week 4 in Hotel Garnerville, will be on week 5 next Monday.
    I'm sure all the crew from the new squad will be eager to hear what its like!

Well , its a cliche but the time really has flown in. Before I started, I had the same questions and fears as everyone else on this thread - I was cacking it !!!! All I can say is, nerves and apprehension are totally normal, however there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Im sure it was mentioned on the Srn night, however I cant place enough importance on this - you WILL make an immediate bond with your squad mates. Remember, everyone is in the same boat. Its hard to believe now but I can say with 99% certainty, in 4-5weeks time, you will have some very, very close friends. If you find yourselves in challenging times - your squad mates will really help.

If you have a basic/good level of fitness to begin with, it will be a big advantage. However if you're not fit - help is available. Academically I think its pitched at just the right level. Im no genius but the method of teaching is very practical + engaging.

Lastly drill, I dont want to spoil the suprise, all I can say is 'Psni' hit the nail on the head when he mentioned 'please bring a sense of humour'. You will never forget your first drill lesson. Remember folks, you will not be alone.
    And Jerry, what about these nasty definitions we've to learn? Do we really need to know them WORD BY WORD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jerrry3

I'm no expert but my advice for defintions is this. What you've been asked to learn in advance, learn word for word. This will be achievable because you will not be asked to learn all the defintions in one go.

For me, on the first few weeks, on weekdays , I did not have much time to memorise definitions. I have been using my weekends to recap on the definitions i have learnt, then start learning the next few pages. This works for me. Try not to do too much at once. If you're good at time management then it will be no problem.

Hope this makes sense .....

Quick question - should we bring some money with us to Hotel Garnerville? I know we get the meal allowances, but will we need money over the first 4 weeks? If so, is there a cash machine inside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Ethan321

Yes its helpful to have a few quid in your pocket, there isnt a cash machine in the complex but there is one quite near which someone can direct you to when you get there.
    Sometimes your allowance for meals can run over slightly so its always adviseable to keep a pound or so in your pocket.
    As for any other time, for example when the bar is open or you want to nip out and buy something then yes you would need money.
    But you wont find alot of time to spend money in your first 2 weeks:eek: lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 greengloves

hi guys,

just wondering if any of the current recruits or anyone who has passed through can tell us what the sports facilities are like and what do they include,is there plenty to keep you busy in terms of football,gyms etc.

i saw in another thread about the gardai training college that they have extremely good facilities that im sure would keep you heavily active after classes.

cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Tucker86

Hey Blue team guys, how are you all feeling for this Sunday???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Stressing

Getting nervous again tucker,lol can't wait to get started :)

Ok Tucker!
    Finally settled this week and just finished a nice glass of wine. Got Uni assignment finished last night at 2.30AM, have bank account sorted, car reg sorted, Nat Ins num in post....am all ready to fill out my P86 form now.....

Lis

PS - who knew moving 100 miles up the road would be so complicated?!

Tucker86 wrote: »
    Hey Blue team guys, how are you all feeling for this Sunday???
    All set so far Tucker! How are the definitions going? Any other last minute things you think I should panic about lol?

hey guys,

been cramming these definitions all week, it's so hard as if you only needed to know them it'd be fine but having to learn word for word is a killer, slowly gettin there!!!

Going shopping tomorrow with my big list lol!!!

Not really nervous, just looking forward to meeting everyon and getting started!!

Anybody any reservations about sunday??

Thomas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭OfficerProblem?

Hi guys!

Just got word today that i will be starting 25th May! :D

Can anyone advise me what way the pay works? If i start 25th May when will pay day fall? Just trying to figure out the finances from switching jobs.

Hi guys!

Just got word today that i will be starting 25th May! :D

Can anyone advise me what way the pay works? If i start 25th May when will pay day fall? Just trying to figure out the finances from switching jobs.
    We've been advised those starting on 20th April won't be paid until the end of May (days in April plus full month's pay for May). If you're starting on 25th May, you wouldn't be paid until June going by that.

When you all start on the sunday, please be ready to sweat a little after dinner, you will know what im talking about by the end of the evening;)
    Will see you all at breakfast on monday, and keep the chin up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ultravid

Ethan321 wrote: »
    When you all start on the sunday, please be ready to sweat a little after dinner, you will know what im talking about by the end of the evening;)

One shouldn't do any exercise immediately after dinner!

I was wondering if any insiders could tell me about the mortality rate at Garnerville... i.e. What is the drop-out rate like? How many salmon don't make the spawning grounds, so to speak?

When you all start on the sunday, please be ready to sweat a little after dinner

I won't be getting very far in my civvie heels anyway :)

Unless this is about a surprise test where we need to prove we read all the handbook and learned our definitions...I keep confusing some of the lines with the Garda version which is slightly different *sigh*...

• Advertisement

Could mean we will be bulling our boots all night!!

Linsooz, heels grand for lookin good but not for carrying a fully loaded kit bag up the accomodation block stairs in a hurry;)

Mortality rates arent too bad, a few people drop out but not that many, and a few drop out through injury because they havent got themselves to a reasonable fitness level before going in.

You will probably be boot bulling on wed or thurs night tucker, but its actualy relaxing just sitting bulling your boots.

Hi guys! :)

Good luck to all those who started today! ;)

Just a quick query - does anyone know if i can get the uniform style guide document online anywhere? Being a lady i just want to have a quick nosey at it to see rules and regulation regarding hair, makeup and other boring girlie stuff!

Please let me know if you have any idea!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

OfficerProblem - your best bet on this might be to PM Psni - he might be able to email you it or send you a scan of it - doesnt strike me as the sort of thing that would be in the public domain, y'know?!

Yeah, the new recruits almost have their first day over them - wonder how its going?!! That'll be YOU soon :p!!!!!!!!!!! ( you go girl!)

Cheers

OfficerProblem - your best bet on this might be to PM Psni - he might be able to email you it or send you a scan of it - doesnt strike me as the sort of thing that would be in the public domain, y'know?!

Yeah, the new recruits almost have their first day over them - wonder how its going?!! That'll be YOU soon :p!!!!!!!!!!! ( you go girl!)

Cheers

Good idea! I shall PM psni to see if he can help. I'm soo nervous! But very excited! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Fiacmar

For those of us with a decent pool number, and a pass in the medical, and now waiting on the vetting, is it possible to get the defenitions booklet from anywhere? Just to get a bit of a head start kinda thing... Maybe online or in a govt. publications office? Or is it sensitive stuff? Or am I being a bit cheeky looking for a head start...:p

Fiacmar wrote: »
    For those of us with a decent pool number, and a pass in the medical, and now waiting on the vetting, is it possible to get the defenitions booklet from anywhere? Just to get a bit of a head start kinda thing... Maybe online or in a govt. publications office? Or is it sensitive stuff? Or am I being a bit cheeky looking for a head start...:p

04.41 am - shouldnt you have been asleep??!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ultravid

04.41 am - shouldnt you have been asleep??!!!!! :D
    The early bird catches the worm, what with a head start and all that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrsGeneHunt
    04.41 am - shouldnt you have been asleep??!!!!!

Actually, I am a nightworker, for my sins...

Fiacmar wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrsGeneHunt
    04.41 am - shouldnt you have been asleep??!!!!!

Actually, I am a nightworker, for my sins...

You'll have no worries with your nightshifts then LOL!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 greengloves

found out something tasty about the first week of training today,don't know if i should say though ... :D

found out something tasty about the first week of training today,don't know if i should say though ... :D

Spit it out boy!!! :) Or PM me if you can't....:D

Hi everybody! :)

Hope all is well! Who all will be attending on monday night for registration?? Can't believe the dream is becoming reality! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭mickey2186

I'll be there!!!

Looking forward to it.....must get all those forms completed!!:D

Mickey2186

"I might as well say strawberry jam," a phrase some of you will become very familiar with if you get a certain drill instructor!! See you all Monday night, when the blue squad will be your hosts for the evening!!

Mickey2186....you got in?! Well done!!!

As fencingj said - we're all working on Mon night at the SRN - so ye'll have to spot the boardsies :)

Hi Lisnsooz,

I eventually got in after a hold up with the medical!!!

Looking forward to starting in a couple of weeks!!!

Is it as you thought it would be??

Have you met anyone from the boards yet?

Mickey2186.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 CooperCop

SRN Monday past.

It seems the course will be really intense eh? I'm looking forward to getting stuck in and settling into the 'Garnerville discipline'

What do you think of the Definitions booklet? I'm finding it hard to get any time to learn the first 3-4 definitions before we start on Sunday week. Still working in my current job.

Has anybody any tips on the best way to learn them?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 wannabecopper

Any one else struggling to learn these definations they gave us??? Looking forward to seeing ppl again on intake day!

• Advertisement

Are you guys learning the first 5 definitions? Can't believe we have to be up there so early on Sunday! :eek:

I have to do the first 4 definitions. I find simply writing them out many times over seems to help, but I agree it is tricky.

Mickey2186.

Good luck for tomorrow everyone! See you in the morning! :)

just remember folks that through the course you need to learn the full booklet!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭alanbelfast

Hi Guys/Gals

Just got word from head of appointments that i passed my vetting, Yippee!
    My medical date is to follow in the next couple of weeks( last obstacle )
    Hopefully i will be joining you lot in August!

Enjoy your weekend people

Alan

Good morning psni

Just a quick one here- when deciding on your DCU etc, Is it actually stations you pick or district command areas? Just wondering can you actually pick four stations where you would like to be based?

Alan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

If only you could pick your station! You only get to choose your DCU I'm afraid.
    Good morning psni

Just a quick one here- when deciding on your DCU etc, Is it actually stations you pick or district command areas? Just wondering can you actually pick four stations where you would like to be based?

Alan

See ya all on August 3rd people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭FootyFan24

Hi, just wondering about the 4 weeks residential. Is it 4 weeks of 7 days, or are the weekends excluded for personal study at home?

FootyFan24 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering about the 4 weeks residential. Is it 4 weeks of 7 days, or are the weekends excluded for personal study at home?

You get home on a friday and dont have to be back until monday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wanalaugh

Thats right, you go home on friday. But the time depends on if you get a show parade. Also, I think a lot of the guys/gals go in on Sunday night to get their stuff ready for the next morning. Probably makes good sense to do this.

Wanalaugh

• Advertisement
Advertisement