Advertisement
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

2456738

Comments



  • Shield wrote: »
    You pass out at the end of your 21st week. Salary increase kicks in the following Monday.
    Great stuff, thanks for the info!




  • Hi guys,

    Still waiting for my acceptance details from PSNI, hence more questions that may be answered within that, but trying to plan ahead in case my local post office continues their sickness strike and holds my letter to ransom!

    What is the time-off situ during training etc? 4 weeks initial training, then 1 week off. Then 17 weeks training, and is there any time off between that block and the next 10 weeks operational training? Is there any time off after the operational training or are we straight into our unit shift rosters then?

    cheers
    Lis




  • During the first 21 weeks there is no time off. One week off is built into the following 10 weeks, but you don't get to find out when that week off is, until it's been rostered in.
    lisnsooz wrote: »
    Hi guys,

    Still waiting for my acceptance details from PSNI, hence more questions that may be answered within that, but trying to plan ahead in case my local post office continues their sickness strike and holds my letter to ransom!

    What is the time-off situ during training etc? 4 weeks initial training, then 1 week off. Then 17 weeks training, and is there any time off between that block and the next 10 weeks operational training? Is there any time off after the operational training or are we straight into our unit shift rosters then?

    cheers
    Lis




  • Shield wrote: »
    During the first 21 weeks there is no time off. One week off is built into the following 10 weeks, but you don't get to find out when that week off is, until it's been rostered in.

    cheers! I thought there was a break between the initial 4 wks training and the 17 wks rest-of-the-training for some reason. That's something to know anyway!

    thanks!




  • Shield, you mentioned joining the Police Federation. Can you list some of the benefits of this? Also, can you only join BUPA through them? Thanks!


  • Advertisement


  • fencingj wrote: »
    Shield, you mentioned joining the Police Federation. Can you list some of the benefits of this? Also, can you only join BUPA through them? Thanks!

    Why not check out the Federation for yourself here.

    You can join BUPA through any means you want. The Federation have negotiated better terms for its members than an individual BUPA member though.




  • quick q which was asked on the psni thread but can't find a conclusive answer. When staying @ Garnerville, are we able to stay weekends?




  • Stupid question I know - Our induction pack talks about a PE kit. It doesn't mention trainers. Do you have to wear any particular type of trainers i.e. do they need to be plain white etc???




  • Yes you are allowed to stay at weekends. It gets a bit lonely though.

    You can wear any kind of trainers you want. You might want to think about getting cross trainers for the outdoor running aspect though.




  • PSNI - How does food work at Garnerville? Do you have some sort of daily allowance to use?


  • Advertisement


  • fencingj wrote: »
    PSNI - How does food work at Garnerville? Do you have some sort of daily allowance to use?

    You get a daily allowance of £10.60 which covers breakfast, lunch and tea. You also get a 70p allowance at morning break and another 70p allowance at afternoon break. It's done with cards and the ladies at the till simply swipe your card and debit it with whatever you are taking. You can go over your allowance but you'll have to pay it in cash on the spot.




  • psni wrote: »
    You get a daily allowance of £10.60 which covers breakfast, lunch and tea. You also get a 70p allowance at morning break and another 70p allowance at afternoon break. It's done with cards and the ladies at the till simply swipe your card and debit it with whatever you are taking. You can go over your allowance but you'll have to pay it in cash on the spot.
    Thanks, that's great news!! Will hopefully save a bit of money then!




  • The act that PSNI mentioned might be useful to read can be downloaded here:

    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891341_en_1.htm#end

    Just a thought, now that the forum has been split, would this thread not belong more to the emergency services recruitment section? Might be possible that a newbie to boards who has been accepted on the student officer training programme could miss it.
    Anyway, just a thought.




  • hey does anyone know how many people will be starting April 20th??

    any other info such as ale:female ratio etc??

    I heard that 440 people were beign taken in overall, any truth in that?

    cheers,

    Thomas




  • Hi Thomas,

    I think they're aiming for 50 per intake. But not sure how they're organising it. For example - a lot of people got called the week before I did. So maybe they're not sitting down with 50 names and ringing them all in one go (because my application was delayed from the vetting - obv the vetting came through after everyone else got called).

    I know with this intake, of 3 girls (incl me) off these fora that are starting, and a couple of lads. Who knows what the ratio is tho - prob find out at SRN. Are you starting on the 20th?

    Lis




  • Hi,

    PSNI - something else for your shopping list.

    Was advised last night by one of the girls to bring hairspray - and lots of it. And she also recommended hair nets if your hair is long and you want to get it nice and neat below the cap.

    Lis




  • Do you have to share communal showers?

    From reading your posts, it sounds like the PSNI is quite militaristic. I don't like the idea of being shouted at and all the strictness, and marching about.

    I am still trying to figure out whether or not I would like to do this job or if I would be up to it. I'm quite an emotional and sensitive fellow. Is there room for the likes of me in the PSNI? I should hope so, given what good things we could bring to the job, but I'm not so sure about that.

    What is the atmosphere/ethos of the PSNI, including the training college? Would I be right in saying it's pretty macho, dog-eat-dog, survival of the fittest kind of place? Is it a harsh place to be?

    One final question: re: fitness. I see a few PSNI officers who look like they've had too many donuts. I wonder how on earth they got the job. Does fitness training/monitoring end once you pass out? In real terms it would seem that way.




  • The showers are all in the same large room, but each shower unit is completely seperate and has a solid wooden door that can be locked from the inside. You bring in your towel and personal items so your privacy can be maintained at all times.

    Garnerville is a game, plain and simple. The shouting and marching is just part of the game. If you can't handle someone who is trained to test you (but is not allowed to lay a finger on you), then you might not be able for people shouting at you out on the streets. It does happen you know.

    There are emotional and sensitive people in all jobs all over the world, and there definitely is a place for you IF you are willing to find it. Abuse victims are more likely to open up to someone who displays real human feelings and emotions than a pan-faced peeler who just wants to take a statement. What you see as shortcomings could actually be assets - depending on whether your glass is half full, or half empty.

    Garnerville is not a dog-eat-dog place at all. Everyone who joins is just as uncertain as the next person. They build you up as a team over the 20 weeks, and you all help each other. You would have to get used to watching out for people as well as having people watch out for you - it's how it works out there in the big bad world. Sure, there is friendly banter about who can run the fastest, lift the most, last the longest and so on, but it's just banter.

    The fitness is monitored for 2 years after you pass out, and you are required to keep it up to a certain level as you are tested every so often when you move on to different phases of training after you pass out. After that, it's up to you to watch the waistline and avoid the donuts!

    Your best bet is to wait until the weekend, and ask some of the newer people who are in there 4 weeks now what they think of it so far.
    Ultravid wrote: »
    Do you have to share communal showers?

    From reading your posts, it sounds like the PSNI is quite militaristic. I don't like the idea of being shouted at and all the strictness, and marching about.

    I am still trying to figure out whether or not I would like to do this job or if I would be up to it. I'm quite an emotional and sensitive fellow. Is there room for the likes of me in the PSNI? I should hope so, given what good things we could bring to the job, but I'm not so sure about that.

    What is the atmosphere/ethos of the PSNI, including the training college? Would I be right in saying it's pretty macho, dog-eat-dog, survival of the fittest kind of place? Is it a harsh place to be?

    One final question: re: fitness. I see a few PSNI officers who look like they've had too many donuts. I wonder how on earth they got the job. Does fitness training/monitoring end once you pass out? In real terms it would seem that way.




  • Just a quick question, I was thinking if, When you start in Garneville i hear the dress code is smart casual, does that mean for the 4 week residential when you have free time you need to wear smart casual?

    Basically asking if you bring a suitcase of clothes, what would you bring??

    thanks,

    T




  • psni wrote: »

    Your best bet is to wait until the weekend, and ask some of the newer people who are in there 4 weeks now what they think of it so far.
    Thanks for the quick and thorough response psni. I look forward to hearing from the newbies!

    One other question: as regards those who are 'testing' you by shouting etc... - can you be poor when you go in but learn to deal with it? What I mean is, if at week 1 you cry when they shout at you, is there time to 'learn' to deal with it, get used to it, or develop 'scar tissue'? How much is expected of you at the start?


  • Advertisement


  • Ultravid wrote: »
    What is the atmosphere/ethos of the PSNI, including the training college? Would I be right in saying it's pretty macho, dog-eat-dog, survival of the fittest kind of place? Is it a harsh place to be?

    Hi Ultravid,

    One thing we were told at the SRN (which I assume is ok to say here) is that if we got this far in the process to be sitting in the classroom, then that means we should have the basis of doing the job. The PSNI have spent a lot of money to get us into Garnerville in the first place, and they don't want us to fail. They want to make sure we'll survive the streets (hence the 'games' psni mentions), but as far as I can see, if we got through Consensia's tests, we have displayed a lot of the characteristics we'll need for the job.

    In Garnerville, they will test us, teach us and prepare us for policing - but they want to see us all get attested if we pass all these hurdles. And the hurdles will let us se if we really REALLY want to do the job, are capable of doing the job and if we will still want to do it in 10-20-30 years' time.

    cheers
    Lis




  • The shouting is done mostly by your drill instructor, but he shouts at the squad and rarely at individuals if they fall out of step, but in a light-hearted way.

    The rest of the shouting will be done by the role actors you will meet.

    Yes, it's possible to develop a thick skin. Yes, people do become upset with what is going on around them in an unfamiliar setting, but in time it becomes second nature and you don't even hear the shouting anymore.

    At the start, you're just expected to shut up and absorb whatever they throw at you. Don't get hung up on the shouting thing. Drill is only once a week for 2 hours these days, plus the odd morning for an hour for the first few weeks. It really starts to get hectic at around week 5, but then again the current S/O's will be able to verify whether that's still the case.
    Ultravid wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick and thorough response psni. I look forward to hearing from the newbies!

    One other question: as regards those who are 'testing' you by shouting etc... - can you be poor when you go in but learn to deal with it? What I mean is, if at week 1 you cry when they shout at you, is there time to 'learn' to deal with it, get used to it, or develop 'scar tissue'? How much is expected of you at the start?




  • psni wrote: »
    The shouting is done mostly by your drill instructor, but he shouts at the squad and rarely at individuals if they fall out of step, but in a light-hearted way.

    The rest of the shouting will be done by the role actors you will meet.

    Yes, it's possible to develop a thick skin. Yes, people do become upset with what is going on around them in an unfamiliar setting, but in time it becomes second nature and you don't even hear the shouting anymore.

    At the start, you're just expected to shut up and absorb whatever they throw at you. Don't get hung up on the shouting thing. Drill is only once a week for 2 hours these days, plus the odd morning for an hour for the first few weeks. It really starts to get hectic at around week 5, but then again the current S/O's will be able to verify whether that's still the case.
    Hey psni, just wondering - why does it get hectic at week 5? Anything to look forward to lol?




  • Hi folks,

    for anyone who is bringing your Southern regged car to Garnerville. You're required by law to get it registered asap and within 6 months, with the Northern Ireland vehicle registration (so you'll get Northern plates).

    Sounds easy, right? Nope! I spent 2 hours on the phone trying to find an insurance company who would (a) insure me in Belfast and (b) give me insurance that would cover the period of when the car is appying for registration, and onwards. (b) is because when you apply for car reg, you must have proof of insurance fom a UK company. And guess what? There ain't many companies who do both together, if at all. I found one who did (altho - they are fleecing me, so might jump companies as soon as I get the actual Northern reg sorted), so if you're doing this - PM me and I'll let you know details from what I have found.

    cheers
    Lisa

    PS - anyone who has done this tho - and found a company easy - can you let me know pls, cos would love to change mine!!!!
    PPS - am not pimping insurance companies btw - decided to post this cos I was beginning to think it was impossible. And I have moral objections to the company I found, altho, kinda stuck with them for now....:rolleyes:




  • psni wrote: »
    The shouting is done mostly by your drill instructor, but he shouts at the squad and rarely at individuals if they fall out of step, but in a light-hearted way.

    The rest of the shouting will be done by the role actors you will meet.

    Yes, it's possible to develop a thick skin. Yes, people do become upset with what is going on around them in an unfamiliar setting, but in time it becomes second nature and you don't even hear the shouting anymore.

    At the start, you're just expected to shut up and absorb whatever they throw at you. Don't get hung up on the shouting thing. Drill is only once a week for 2 hours these days, plus the odd morning for an hour for the first few weeks. It really starts to get hectic at around week 5, but then again the current S/O's will be able to verify whether that's still the case.

    Hi everyone, I've just finished week 4 in Hotel Garnerville, will be on week 5 next Monday.
    I'm sure all the crew from the new squad will be eager to hear what its like!

    Well , its a cliche but the time really has flown in. Before I started, I had the same questions and fears as everyone else on this thread - I was cacking it !!!! All I can say is, nerves and apprehension are totally normal, however there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

    Im sure it was mentioned on the Srn night, however I cant place enough importance on this - you WILL make an immediate bond with your squad mates. Remember, everyone is in the same boat. Its hard to believe now but I can say with 99% certainty, in 4-5weeks time, you will have some very, very close friends. If you find yourselves in challenging times - your squad mates will really help.

    If you have a basic/good level of fitness to begin with, it will be a big advantage. However if you're not fit - help is available. Academically I think its pitched at just the right level. Im no genius but the method of teaching is very practical + engaging.

    Lastly drill, I dont want to spoil the suprise, all I can say is 'Psni' hit the nail on the head when he mentioned 'please bring a sense of humour'. You will never forget your first drill lesson. Remember folks, you will not be alone.




  • jerrry3 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I've just finished week 4 in Hotel Garnerville, will be on week 5 next Monday.
    I'm sure all the crew from the new squad will be eager to hear what its like!

    Well , its a cliche but the time really has flown in. Before I started, I had the same questions and fears as everyone else on this thread - I was cacking it !!!! All I can say is, nerves and apprehension are totally normal, however there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

    Im sure it was mentioned on the Srn night, however I cant place enough importance on this - you WILL make an immediate bond with your squad mates. Remember, everyone is in the same boat. Its hard to believe now but I can say with 99% certainty, in 4-5weeks time, you will have some very, very close friends. If you find yourselves in challenging times - your squad mates will really help.

    If you have a basic/good level of fitness to begin with, it will be a big advantage. However if you're not fit - help is available. Academically I think its pitched at just the right level. Im no genius but the method of teaching is very practical + engaging.

    Lastly drill, I dont want to spoil the suprise, all I can say is 'Psni' hit the nail on the head when he mentioned 'please bring a sense of humour'. You will never forget your first drill lesson. Remember folks, you will not be alone.
    And Jerry, what about these nasty definitions we've to learn? Do we really need to know them WORD BY WORD?




  • I'm no expert but my advice for defintions is this. What you've been asked to learn in advance, learn word for word. This will be achievable because you will not be asked to learn all the defintions in one go.

    For me, on the first few weeks, on weekdays , I did not have much time to memorise definitions. I have been using my weekends to recap on the definitions i have learnt, then start learning the next few pages. This works for me. Try not to do too much at once. If you're good at time management then it will be no problem.

    Hope this makes sense .....




  • Quick question - should we bring some money with us to Hotel Garnerville? I know we get the meal allowances, but will we need money over the first 4 weeks? If so, is there a cash machine inside?




  • Yes its helpful to have a few quid in your pocket, there isnt a cash machine in the complex but there is one quite near which someone can direct you to when you get there.
    Sometimes your allowance for meals can run over slightly so its always adviseable to keep a pound or so in your pocket.
    As for any other time, for example when the bar is open or you want to nip out and buy something then yes you would need money.
    But you wont find alot of time to spend money in your first 2 weeks:eek: lol


  • Advertisement


  • hi guys,

    just wondering if any of the current recruits or anyone who has passed through can tell us what the sports facilities are like and what do they include,is there plenty to keep you busy in terms of football,gyms etc.

    i saw in another thread about the gardai training college that they have extremely good facilities that im sure would keep you heavily active after classes.

    cheers.


Advertisement