Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Are The Best Hurls?

• 06-04-2008 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I have always wondered what people think are the best hurls. I have always liked Philip Larkins from Galway but just wanted to hear hurls what other people like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I've never heard them called hurls before...interesting that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Torpey (haven't played in a while but...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

wooden ones!!!!!

sorry couldnt help myself-used to use delany's from killkenny myself, back in the day....light and good for a skillfull hurler ;) , but the bands are ****e and they take about as much hardship as a cocktail stick!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Groe

Yeah delanys are good but as you say they break like a cacktail stick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Archebald

era id say o donavans are pretty good,, i think the o connor hurleys are only average enough now,,,they are always too fresh if u no wat i mean,,,
    noonans were always a safe bet:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

WHere do yoou get O donavans?

im unsure ,,could try and check it out for ye,,o donavan hurlings are great for the sideline cuts though:)

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

There's a man who makes them around Craughwell in Galway but for the life of me i can't remember his name. I got two of him last year and they were the best hurleys i ever had.

I was using O' Connors & Doyle hurleys up to that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

s_carnage wrote: »
    There's a man who makes them around Craughwell in Galway but for the life of me i can't remember his name. I got two of him last year and they were the best hurleys i ever had.

were they O'Dea's by any chance. think the guy's based near Ardrahan. Used to use them a few years ago, not sure if he's still makin them but they were by far the best i've ever played with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Yep thats the name alright. I knew it was O' something. It took a few wks to get them off him but they were worth the wait alright!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

taidghbaby wrote: »
    wooden ones!!!!!!

Damn straight, the vibrations from the fibreglass ones were an absolute killer

DO either of you know how to get O'Deas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Danuogma

LIDL hurls all the way boy.

They are fairly good but there were none left when I was going to buy one!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Killme00 wrote: »
    Damn straight, the vibrations from the fibreglass ones were an absolute killer
    funnily enough i actually remember playin indoor hurling as a young fella with a plastic sliothar that had holes through it, and hurls with rubber bosh's!! great times :)

I am still interested in the number for O'Deas if anyone has it. Was also looking for the number for Dolmens I think they are called from Butlerstown in Waterforf if anyone has them thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

different hurleys for different players

I like Star hurleys myself. get a nice, light balanced one and you can't get better

Yeah you are right but it is hard to get a nice one if you order them so you have togo to kilkenny to look first

some clubs stock them in their shops

• Advertisement

Do they? What ones?

a club in Dublin I know...

What club is it?

well its not Crokes anyway:D

How do you know that they don't have them in Crokes

o donavan hurleys are from bandon i think

Paddy O'Dea, Ardrahan 091-635134 is that the O'Deas you are talking about?

its a club on the northside

Ok but how do you know they don't have them in Crokes?

• Advertisement

well if crokes sold them, you wouldn't be wondering where you could get one...

now would ya?

Did you read the comment in the best club grounds or something ir how do you know I play for crokes?

your signature u fool

*woops*:o

Crokes are now selling Stars. Just thought I'd let people know. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 innocent

well lads ive been getting these lovely hurls off a lad in monivea in galway called barney costello impossible to break they are worth a try now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Submara

Philip Larkin is based in Moyleen, Loughrea which is just out on the old Dublin Road before the turn for Portumna. He charges €25 a stick. His hurls are not the usual Galway style and have a square bas with a curved heel.

Paddy O'Dea in Ardrahan is still making hurls and he never stopped either. He still makes the best hurl in Galway and probably Ireland. He also charges €25 a stick.

Tom Joe Larkin who is a brother of Philip also makes hurls in Killimor. His hurls are also excellent and he has changed the shape of his bas and made it wider. TJ's hurls are €22 each.

All three men are very hospitable and will help with any small details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Submara wrote: »
    Philip Larkin is based in Moyleen, Loughrea which is just out on the old Dublin Road before the turn for Portumna. He charges €25 a stick. His hurls are not the usual Galway style and have a square bas with a curved heel.

Paddy O'Dea in Ardrahan is still making hurls and he never stopped either. He still makes the best hurl in Galway and probably Ireland. He also charges €25 a stick.

Tom Joe Larkin who is a brother of Philip also makes hurls in Killimor. His hurls are also excellent and he has changed the shape of his bas and made it wider. TJ's hurls are €22 each.

All three men are very hospitable and will help with any small details.

I have 2 tj larkin hurleys atm got em when he was at the limerick show they are by far 2 of the best hurleys Ive had in a long time
    nice and light big bas good spring cant say enough about em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paddy8s

Matty Murphy in kilkenny makes nice ones there €20 a hurl and there nice and light and don't break ta look at. He makes same shape as star hurl's but does the other usuals as well. Has a few of county lads gettin em off him as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Tipp hurleys are the best IMO from Thurles mainly.

Have tonnes of em at home. Can't beat em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

i use albert randall in wexford, really like em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

a good idea would be a hurley makers show. Maybe on all ireland weekend, or league final weekend where each maker could have a stand and showcase what they have for people to buy and get phone numbers and stuff...

A shop in Croke Park on match days. Along the gallery where the fast food outlets are
    selling all makers of hurleys, helmets and gloves.

It would do a roaring trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mcmanus11259

Groe wrote: »
    I have always wondered what people think are the best hurls. I have always liked Philip Larkins from Galway but just wanted to hear hurls what other people like.

I think the best hurls are a Tom Walsh Hurleys. I can get a price for any size hurley ye want!! Just email: mcmanus11259@gmail.com .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mellowsboy1234

i like seamus canning hurls he is joe canning's brother i have had a good few of them i think there unreal small bit heavy but you get used to it cannings unreal:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mellowsboy1234

he lives in portumna galway his number is087-2889700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Wouldn't no anything about these 'HURLS'.

Are they like 'HURLEYS' by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Gone mad into O' Connor hurleys, there worth the delivery charge if im not arsed driving down! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Wouldn't no anything about these 'HURLS'.

Are they like 'HURLEYS' by any chance?

*rolls eyes*.... city folk. It's a hurl.

O'Connor hurleys are made of white chocolate, they break as easy. Liam Walsh in Lisgoold is the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Connorzee wrote: »
    *rolls eyes*.... city folk. It's a hurl.

O'Connor hurleys are made of white chocolate, they break as easy. Liam Walsh in Lisgoold is the best.

What part of 'Mountainlad' led you to say city folk? :L

Note the highlighted word there as well. Your words not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Connorzee wrote: »
    O'Connor hurleys are made of white chocolate, they break as easy.

Era there not really if you ask for what you want! Broke two hurleys in just over a year and a half of using them! Only got one bad one which was quickly dismissed to the garage! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement