Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€500 Fine At Clonsilla Train Station ?!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

DisandDat wrote: »
    You sound like a right little Hitler.

I live my life according to my personal morals. Why can you not live your life and let others live theirs. Busy bodies are rampant nowadays.

I'm no Hitler..... but i do think society needs laws to ensure anarchy doesn't provale.
    Everyone has the right to go about their daily business without anybody bothering them, providing their actions don't impact on the very same right of others.

That's why we need laws and why crossing rail track is potentially removing the right of leting others live theirs.

Now, if you do choose to argue your point..... please make it logical and socially responsible !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

You'd only have to close one track over a short section.

Pray tell, what happens to the trains either side of a closed section of line?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

DisandDat wrote:
    Money rules the world, my friend. They want to have you for all you've got. You seem to comply.

Well it's only fitting that morons should pay more tax than everyone else in my opinion. paulm doesn't have to pay it because he/she isn't strolling over heavy rail lines like some yummy mummy power walking on a cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Pray tell, what happens to the trains either side of a closed section of line?

They get delayed but can switch to the other track to go around the blockage. Please tell me that IE are capable of doing this?

On a single track line they get delayed and bus transfers are set up to go around the blockage, exactly the same as if maintainance etc was happening. Obviously it won't happen immediatly but by the next day at least the problem should be sorted. Then again this is Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DisandDat

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I've given an anthropology lecture in a thread about someone being fined for breaking the law. Now I'm giving a sociology lecture...
    Don't give up the day job

Skyhater wrote: »

Now, if you do choose to argue your point..... please make it logical and socially responsible !!!!

I am ashamed of the opinions you are expressing. Do you really want to live in a state where you can't move for the sake of laws?

• Advertisement

Do you want to live in a state where we can't have train services because of idiots wandering around on the tracks?

Stark wrote: »
    Do you want to live in a state where we can't have train services because of idiots wandering around on the tracks?

Nothing was said about "wandering around", you don't just wander around the middle of a main road do you?

Its about crossing, quickly and directly, bit of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Do you really want to live in a state where you can't move for the sake of laws?

And you're considering joining the Gardai??? I don't want to live in a state where the police make up the laws as they go along, and ignore legitimate ones they don't 'agree with'.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055244687

Don't give up the day job
    I am ashamed of the opinions you are expressing. Do you really want to live in a state where you can't move for the sake of laws?

I want to live in a state the has proper balanced democratic laws that are observed by it's citizens and visitors alike. Simple as that!!!!

I know it sounds like utopia.... but a step in the right direction would be people following simple laws that are intended to protect themselves and others.

They get delayed but can switch to the other track to go around the blockage. Please tell me that IE are capable of doing this?

On a single track line they get delayed and bus transfers are set up to go around the blockage, exactly the same as if maintainance etc was happening. Obviously it won't happen immediatly but by the next day at least the problem should be sorted. Then again this is Ireland

Let me get you maths correct...

All this hassle for IE and the General public = A clown crossing the tracks correctly :confused:

• Advertisement

Nothing was said about "wandering around", you don't just wander around the middle of a road do you?

Its about crossing, quickly and directly, bit of a difference.

But you make it allowable and then more and more people start doing it until you get people routinely crossing at various points on the track. There's a huge difference between a road and a train line. It's been repeated ad naseum (on this very thread, it's worth a read) that a train can't stop nearly as quickly as a car so if a train driver sees people crossing a track in a distance, then he has to apply the emergency brakes immediately. Result: massive delays.

You could make it acceptable for people to cross the tracks whenever and whereever they feel like it, but then every train would have to travel as slowly as the Luas and you couldn't have long heavy trains either. The result is a significant deterioration in the service just so fools can assert their desires to walk where they feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

cymro wrote: »
    You deserve what you get. People have been killed doing what you did. I saw one idiot in kilbarrack carrying his kid in a pram across the tracks from one platform to another.
    You will be fined.
    just cause he's an idiot doesn't mean he's from kilbarrack......he could have been from dalkey and got off at the wrong stop:D:D:D

I want to like in a state the has proper balanced democratic laws that are observed by it's citizens and visitors alike. Simple as that!!!!

I know it sounds like utopia.... but a step in the right direction would be people following simple laws that are intended to protect themselves and others.

Sound more like a nanny state than utopia to me

Alun wrote: »
    And you're considering joining the Gardai??? I don't want to live in a state where the police make up the laws as they go along, and ignore legitimate ones they don't 'agree with'.

I don't think so, for exactly that reason. I could not enforce laws that were put in place for the sole purpose of generating revenue.

Stark wrote: »
    But you make it allowable and then more and more people start doing it until you get people routinely crossing at various points on the track.

In India they ride on top of the bloody trains and hang off the sides.

I am talking about crossing two train tracks having determined that no trains are coming.

Sound more like a nanny state than utopia to me

I don't want a nanny state, don't forget I said "proper balanced democratic laws"

Having said that, I'd prefer a nanny state than a total lawless one, but surly we can get the balance right!!!

Let me get you maths correct...

All this hassle for IE and the General public = A clown crossing the tracks correctly :confused:

The chance of anyone actually being hit by a train in the first place are so remote that it's not a major issue. Only, what, 10 people a year killed by trains?

Also you have 1000's of level crossings accross the country, most ungarded where the same thing happens every day, granted a lot have barriers but a similar system could be put in place. If you had a designated place at the end of platform etc then there would at least be some measure of control. It'd also be a lot cheaper than bridges

I am talking about crossing two train tracks having determined that no trains are coming.

India has totally different standards..... I've been there and it's not just the trains that are unsafe....
    You're still not coming up with logical or socially responsible arguments :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

No offence but you didn't get half what you deserved !!! How stupid can you be to walk across a train track, train or no train coming. Surely you knew you were breaking the law. I've no time for stupid people like that !!!

I don't want a nanny state, don't forget I said "proper balanced democratic laws"

Having said that, I'd prefer a nanny state than a total lawless one, but surly we can get the balance right!!!

And fining people an extortionate amount for crossing a few rail tracks fit into your "proper balanced democratic laws" does it?

• Advertisement

A practice that's illegal and highly dangerous.

India has totally different standards..... I've been there and it's not just the trains that are unsafe....
    You're still not coming up with logical or socially responsible arguments :D

Is that right? Its not rocket science, it is crossing a train track.
    Suzywuzy wrote: »
    I've no time for stupid people like that !!!

Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Alun wrote: »

He was banned from that forum yesterday for 2 weeks for trolling.
    Maybe he just needs somewhere new to troll?
    The chance of anyone actually being hit by a train in the first place are so remote that it's not a major issue. Only, what, 10 people a year killed by trains?
    I suspect that's because most people have enough sense to follow the safety rules laid down by IE.

Suzywuzy wrote: »
    No offence but you didn't get half what you deserved !!! How stupid can you be to walk across a train track, train or no train coming. Surely you knew you were breaking the law. I've no time for stupid people like that !!!

How is it stupid, it is a measured risk that the OP has decided he is willing to accept in order to save time and hassle.

Just because it is illegal does not mean it is stupid.

Also you have 1000's of level crossings accross the country, most ungarded where the same thing happens every day, granted a lot have barriers but a similar system could be put in place. If you had a designated place at the end of platform etc then there would at least be some measure of control. It'd also be a lot cheaper than bridges

There is a place at the end of Clonsilla platform....it's called the road!!
    OK... as i pointed out in my previous post, there are some dangers associated with this...but getting hit by a car's wing mirror is alot safer than getting hit by a train at 100kph

Hagar wrote: »
    Maybe he just needs somewhere new to troll?

Maybe he is trying to waken up the rabble before we are totally ensnared by ridiculous laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

How is it stupid, it is a measured risk that the OP has decided he is willing to accept in order to save time and hassle.

What about the driver that hits him? Is it still no hassle for him?

What might be a measured risk taken by one person generally leads to stupid risks being taken by idiots who see one person doing it and getting away with it.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    What about the driver that hits him? Is it still no hassle for him?

Ah now, you're breaking the golden rule by bringing other people into the equation, when we're not supposed to care about other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

jhegarty wrote: »
    Have these security guards (I presume thats all they are) any right to physically stop someone leaving the station ?

Nope, as far as I know (don't ask me for a source cos I can't remember, but came across this somewhere in the last few days). They can call the guards though.

Of course, according to the IE passenger charter, all their staff are supposed to wear an identification badge, so if they're not wearing one, they're obviously :rolleyes: not IE staff

[edit]
    Just found the IE bye-laws.
    2. (1) All the provisions of these Bye-Laws, except Bye-Laws numbered 3, 4 and 5, shall be penal provisions the contravention of which under subsection 4 of section 22 of the Transport Act, 1950 is an offence in respect of which a person is liable thereunder to a fine not exceeding ten pounds.

(2) Any person offending against any of the following Bye-Laws numbered, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 16, 17, 20, 23, 24, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 and 35 and failing to desist or quit, or failing to comply with the Bye-Law as the case may be, when requested so to do by an authorised person may be removed from the railway or any part thereof or any lift or vehicle by an authorised person without prejudice, where any penalty is prescribed as aforesaid for the contravention of any such Bye-Law, to such penalty.

Sections 3, 4 and 5 deal with travelling without a ticket and leaving a station other than through the proper means. But there's nothing about crossing the track, so that would fall outside these. "A fine not exceeding ten pounds" seems a bit outdated, not sure if there's later legislation than this. Section 2.2 seems to indicate they can remove you from the railway, but there's nothing in there allowing them to detain you.

Note: I think the OP crossing the track is a dangerous thing to do, just wondering where the basis for this €500 fine is

Advertisement