Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€500 Fine At Clonsilla Train Station ?!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

DisandDat wrote: »
    So we are all politically correct. If a man is polish and I call him polish, how is that racist???? If a car is red, i call it a red car.

Because no Russian is going to tell you what to do. You were manhandled by 4 Polish goons. Once you have to distinguish someone's ethnicity to make a point, you are implying this changes things. Hence you imply a difference between Irish and non-Irish. If you said "He was Polish and didn't understand what I meant" that is not racist. If he is a "Polish goon". Polish is an adjective describing the type of goon you find him to be. Note, you were accosted by (your words) four Polish goons and an excuse for an Irish man. Why not 5 goons? Racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

OTK wrote: »
    What on Earth could be dangerous about walking on railway tracks? It's a bit mad alright.

I was wondering about that as well.

Personally I find it more likely that (at Clonsilla station) someone will slip and injury themselves on the footbridge, or get hit by a car, than someone getting hit by a train - the gates are closed for trains most of the time, anyway.

I understand why it is against the law, though. €500 sounds a bit much to me, wouldn't cross the tracks myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DisandDat

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Because no Russian is going to tell you what to do. You were manhandled by 4 Polish goons. Once you have to distinguish someone's ethnicity to make a point, you are implying this changes things. Hence you imply a difference between Irish and non-Irish. If you said "He was Polish and didn't understand what I meant" that is not racist. If he is a "Polish goon". Polish is an adjective describing the type of goon you find him to be. Note, you were accosted by (your words) four Polish goons and an excuse for an Irish man. Why not 5 goons? Racism.

No Irish man is going to tell me what to do. No irish goon is going to manhandle me. Does that clear up you politically correct sensitivities.

Why not 5 goons. The other person was a ticket inspector, not a hired enforcer (goon, look it up in a dictionary)

Catch yourself on.

No Irish man is going to tell me what to do. No irish goon is going to manhandle me. Does that clear up you politically correct sensitivities.

I wasn't aware racism and political incorrectness were the same thing. Now, first off, most of them are Russian not Polish. Secondly, that isn't what you said in your mail. Thirdly, what difference does it make if they are Polish or Irish? Finally, if you didn't post things that can be seen as racist, people wouldn't have issues with what you say.
    Disanddat wrote:
    Why not 5 goons. The other person was a ticket inspector, not a hired enforcer (goon, look it up in a dictionary)

with pleasure.

# A player who may lack finesse but specializes in hard hitting checks to interfere with the other team. ...
    www.lifetimehockey.com/Glossary.htm

# lout: an awkward stupid person
    # hood: an aggressive and violent young criminal

OP / mods, sorry for the OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not going to happen. You see I have eyes and ears, I put them to good use.

You might be able to cross the tracks safely, but then 20 other sheep follow you and one of them ends up getting hit. Ergo, they can't let anyone get away with strolling across the tracks.
    I cannot believe what I am reading here. This is a revenue generating SCAM. Irish Rail could not give a dam about you or your safety, anybody who has ever lost property on a train will know this.

How is it a "SCAM"? A scam would mean that they were getting money out of you through dishonest or unlawful means. If there was no law against walking across the train tracks, then you could call it a scam. However, there are laws against what the OP did, Irish Rail hasn't been secretive about these laws and Irish Rail is legally entitled to fine him.

• Advertisement

I wasn't aware racism and political incorrectness were the same thing.
    They are not. When you call a red car, a red car. That is not racism. The problem with house trained people like yourself, you tend to run your mouth off on the racism issue.

Now, first off, most of them are Russian not Polish.
    These were poles.

Thirdly, what difference does it make if they are Polish or Irish?
    Who said it made any difference? If an Irish goon hits me, he is an irish goon.
    Finally, if you didn't post things that can be seen as racist, people wouldn't have issues with what you say.

I'll post how I want to post.

with pleasure.

A goon is a hired enforcer/thug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

A goon is a hired enforcer/thug.
    Not necessarily. Was it any of these men?

223840.jpg

Hagar wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Was it any of these men?

223840.jpg

Funny guy. If you want to play word games, join the law society.

OP, I think it comes down to the fine is legal and will have to be paid. Contact IE to see if you can do anything about getting it reduced?

Disanddat... you're wonderful, you know me too well, I am clearly "house trained" (WTF?) I only wish there were more like you out there. Let us get back to the point at hand now. Also, where is your definitions of a goon? I posted some quickies from google.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

HydeRoad wrote: »

A train approaches absolutely silently. You DO NOT hear it coming.

What magic silent trains to you get:rolleyes:, certainly not the ones in this country! Trains are very very loud and easy to hear, even DARTs squeek like mad.

@ the rest of the high horse brigade

Yes, the OP did something wrong but that is no reason to go on and on about how stupid he is. I think the fine is far to excessive for a relativly minor offence. And I'm sure countlees people do it all over the country every day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sorry to be pedantic but how does a white European from Ireland be racist against a white European from Poland or Russia?
    Same race, therefore no racism

I don't need the government looking over my shoulder. I am well able to look after myself. If two Russians approached me I would laugh in their face.

I cross the tracks regular. Its a simple process. Train tracks are laid in a straight line, look left, look right, if nothing is coming, proceed.

You mind your business, I'll mind mine. Nowadays everyone appears to be a busybody, hasseling other people. Its my life, I'll risk it as I see fit.

+1

OP, I think it comes down to the fine is legal and will have to be paid.

Good point. Is the fine legal? Contact citizens information. I would doubt this to be the case. A guard can fine you, but a hired hand??

You might be surprised, when it all boils down.
    Also, where is your definitions of a goon? I posted some quickies from google.

A hired thug/enforcer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

DisandDat you do have the right of freedom to speech and we wouldn't want to take that away from you.

Similarly I'll use my freedom of speach to say that "YOU ARE A TWAT".
    All the other posters have quite well described what a selfish twat you are.
    You and people like you are dragging this county down the sewer.

Bottom line is the OP deserved the €500 fine. If it were up to me, I'd make it €1,000.
    The higher the fine, the less likely some "twat" will do it again, therefore reducing the need to hire security and leaving a safer environment for everyone.
    I'd apply the same rule to speeding, anti-social-behaviour or anything else the impacts peoples safety and/or quality of life.

It's about time this country got real and implemented some laws that will make a real difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Have these security guards (I presume thats all they are) any right to physically stop someone leaving the station ?

micmclo wrote: »
    Sorry to be pedantic but how does a white European from Ireland be racist against a white European from Poland or Russia?
    Same race, therefore no racism

If you want to be pedantic you should point out there is only one race, human. The rest is ethnicities of which there are only 3. From there sub groups split out into nationalities. However if I were to call him Nationalist it would mean something very different. Racism is a term bandied about these days when someone dislikes someone based on their nationality, the point I was making is he distinguishes people based on their origins.

Skyhater, well put. :)

If you want to be pedantic you should point out there is only one race, human. The rest is ethnicities of which there are only 3. From there sub groups split out into nationalities. However if I were to call him Nationalist it would mean something very different. Racism is a term bandied about these days when someone dislikes someone based on their nationality, the point I was making is he distinguishes people based on their origins.

Beat me to it.

And I'm sure countlees people do it all over the country every day.

And that is exactly why an effective deterrent is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Yes, the OP did something wrong but that is no reason to go on and on about how stupid he is. I think the fine is far to excessive for a relativly minor offence. And I'm sure countlees people do it all over the country every day.

The reason it's so high is because of the side effects if someone gets hit. The line could be closed for hours, if not days. Thousands of people would be forced to find another way to work. The driver will be off duty until an investigation clears him. The Gardai, RSA and HSA will have to investigate. The cost to the state could be well over a million euro. It might be an outside chance that something happens but there's still a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Is the fine legal? Contact citizens information. I would doubt this to be the case. A guard can fine you, but a hired hand??.

Yes, the "goons" can fine you for it. You can be fined either under a Bye Law of Irish Rail or a prosecution under Statute Laws can be made. Once you choose to travel on a train, you agree to abide by the bye laws of Irish Rail. While you can argue the toss about other minor issues, you cannot but say that you didn't know it is illegal or dangerous to walk on the tracks, especially in the week when a man was killed by a LUAS when he walked over it's tracks.

• Advertisement

Skyhater wrote: »
    DisandDat you do have the right of freedom to speech and we wouldn't want to take that away from you.

Similarly I'll use my freedom of speach to say that "YOU ARE A TWAT".
    All the other posters have quite well described what a selfish twat you are.
    You and people like you are dragging this county down the sewer.

You sound like a right little Hitler.

I live my life according to my personal morals. Why can you not live your life and let others live theirs. Busy bodies are rampant nowadays.

Stark wrote: »
    And that is exactly why an effective deterrent is needed.

Gating \ fencing at the end of all platforms? but there is probably some stupid H&S reasons this can't be done.

markpb wrote: »
    The reason it's so high is because of the side effects if someone gets hit. The line could be closed for hours, if not days. Thousands of people would be forced to find another way to work. The driver will be off duty until an investigation clears him. The Gardai, RSA and HSA will have to investigate. The cost to the state could be well over a million euro. It might be an outside chance that something happens but there's still a chance.

I'll shorten this down.

It's a racket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The cost to the state could be well over a million euro.
    I'm sending €10 by Paypal at the minute, if we all chip in... who knows who might fall under a train... accidents happen... whistles and stolls away...

DisandDat wrote:
    I'll shorten this down.

It's a racket.

:rolleyes:

Gating \ fencing at the end of all platforms? but there is probably some stupid H&S reasons this can't be done.

At some stations they have (or did recently) barriers to stop people hoping off the ends on to the road. These were always on loose hinges. Presumably if someone were to fall climbing over this it would be a court case.

On a totally separate point. Is there a more productive member of society than one who insists on doing everything their way and has no regard for anyone else? They are the sort of folk that really wouldn't be missed if say, a train were to plough them down. Generally they know this but put up a front to sound cool and tough, probably because they have no friends due to their bad attitudes.

Hagar wrote: »
    I'm sending €10 by Paypal at the minute, if we all chip in... who knows who might fall under a train... accidents happen... whistles and stolls away...

:D Good Post

Fine everything. Pre crime everythng. Thought crime everyone. Are you ears the wrong shape? Thats five years in the hole.

These people are all house trained. Calling out for your own chains.

You'd only have to close one track over a short section.

On a totally separate point. Is there a more productive member of society than one who insists on doing everything their way and has no regard for anyone else?
    The old classic, "were are all in this together" argument.

Money rules the world, my friend. They want to have you for all you've got. You seem to comply.

• Advertisement

Can we get rid of the troll? I've given an anthropology lecture in a thread about someone being fined for breaking the law. The law we agree to live by as citizens of a country, whether we like them or not. Now I'm giving a sociology lecture...

Advertisement