Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€500 Fine At Clonsilla Train Station ?!

Options
  • 27-02-2008 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

guys,

any opinions or thoughts on this ? I get the Maynooth train to Clonsilla each day on the way home from work. Most days, I cross the tracks physically rather than walk to the crossing (if you know the station you will know what I mean). I know this is a bit risky, but hey, I do it sometimes when I am in a hurry , as do a lot of people.
    Anyway, today I did it, and on the other side at the gates, 2 eastern europeans (russians I think) in "rail security" jumpers pulled me. Said it was a trespassing offence, and a €500 fine. It was me and about 10 others pulled, and they started asking for ID. A few didnt have, or refused, and they said they would call the guards. I gave them an old college ID and a name and address .

Anyone heard of this before, or was anyone on boards one of the people who was pulled with me ?

Any thoughts appreciated, bit of a mad scene !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I was cornered by DART security once and they were plain clothed, scary looking lads, probably to intimidate. I know IE are trying to clamp down on stuff, this could be a part of it. If in doubt, I would contact IE directly and ask if such a thing is likely. I figure when you have to pay the fine you will know if it going to IE or a cash (hence dodgy) transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

To be honest OP you did break the law and trespass on private property. what you did was highly dangerous and you can't expect to get away with it.

I'm sure if you get a €500 fine you will know its from the proper source.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There are "Do not trespass on the railway" signs at the end of every platform at every station in the country. It is against the CIE By-Laws and is illegal, you are only supposed to be using public areas of the station.

Not just that, but its highly dangerous. If an InterCity or goods train happened to be heading your way at high speed while you were on the track, you'd be a gonner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

Can you explain exactly where you crossed? There are three options to crossing the railway at Clonsilla station.
    1) Cross the Footbridge over the railway (By Far the Safest)
    2) Exit that Station and cross at the Level Crossing (where the cars cross - slightly dangerous, but in no way illegal as far as i know.)
    3) Physically Cross the Line at the Platform.

It looks like you picked Option 3, which if you did..... You are an absolute & complete idiot, and deserve every fine IE can throw at you!!!!
    This is something you would expect from little gurriors, not any responable rail user.
    Just too lazy to use the footbridge!!!

On the other hand...if you used option 2), you probably have a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Anselm wrote: »
    guys,

any opinions or thoughts on this ? I get the Maynooth train to Clonsilla each day on the way home from work. Most days, I cross the tracks physically rather than walk to the crossing (if you know the station you will know what I mean). I know this is a bit risky, but hey, I do it sometimes when I am in a hurry , as do a lot of people.
    Anyway, today I did it, and on the other side at the gates, 2 eastern europeans (russians I think) in "rail security" jumpers pulled me. Said it was a trespassing offence, and a €500 fine. It was me and about 10 others pulled, and they started asking for ID. A few didnt have, or refused, and they said they would call the guards. I gave them an old college ID and a name and address .

Anyone heard of this before, or was anyone on boards one of the people who was pulled with me ?

You deserve what you get. People have been killed doing what you did. I saw one idiot in kilbarrack carrying his kid in a pram across the tracks from one platform to another.
    You will be fined.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

I hope you at least waited for the train you got off to leave the station?

Seriously I know its a shortcut but it is too dangerous especially as the entrance to Coolmine from the train occurs on bend so any inter city train would be in without any warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

at the Rushbrooke stop on the Cobh line, everyone who gets off the train walks across the tracks instead of using the ancient slippy steps over the tracks, and i mean everyone, if people are doing it for years then someone demands a 500 Euro fine oneday i can imagine the response i'd give....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

at the Rushbrooke stop on the Cobh line, everyone who gets off the train walks across the tracks instead of using the ancient slippy steps over the tracks, and i mean everyone, if people are doing it for years then someone demands a 500 Euro fine oneday i can imagine the response i'd give....

This is not Cobh, It's Clonsilla... and there are two other safe ways to cross the track. Most people use these options. It's only the stupid few who don't!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Everyone does it" is reason to clamp down and clamp down hard, not an excuse for more people to do it. You just can't have people strolling across heavy rail lines with impunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

500 Euro is a bit much for doing this, I'll freely admit that when I was taking the Maynooth line home I crossed over the tracks. Fact of the matter is every single time I got that bloody train it was always late, not to mention the fact that the old man who opens the gateway for cars is almost never there the lazy baxtard.

Another fact worth mentioning is that both the road(gated) and the overpass are incredibly crowded after a train unloads and the overpass is slippery as f*ck.

In addition, stop picking on the OP. What he did was dangerous yes but he's being fined for it and no need to be so anal and condescending with your replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Anselm wrote: »
    guys,

check this out, you have committed the offence of trespass on a railway the , you need to find out fast if the Security company representing Irish Rail are Authorised Officers /Agents , if they are you are in trouble, its a summary offence which can go to the local district court.

STT Risk Management is the security company who employee ex military staff

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1950/en/act/pub/0012/sec0059.html#zza12y1950s59

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

also check out CIE Railway Byelaws SI 109 of 1984

Obviously the fines have changed since 1984.

O by the way I would not mess with these guys, they all have military service in Eastern Europe, need I say more.

I have seen these guys in action in UK, they should have called the Garda but if they are Authorised Officers or Agents of Irish Rail they have the authority to take your details and report to local Garda or Head of Security in Irish Rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is probably covered by the Rail Safety Act.

Given that someone was killed by a Luas yesterday and that 5-10 people get killed on the railways every year, its highly irresponsible. While a Luas has similar performance characteristics to road vehicle, it can take more than 1km for a train to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Original poster is an idiot and will probably be the first to complain to IE if he tripped on ballast or slipped on the rail nevermind getting whacked by a train. Idiots who think they are invincible to save themselves 60 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

A friend from college got cought doing this. It went to court and he was fined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Another fact worth mentioning is that both the road(gated) and the overpass are incredibly crowded after a train unloads

I have to say thats the most pathetic excuse I have ever heard.
    You will be fined and everyone else who was caught. IE staff are specially trained for walking on the railway line you havent a clue.
    youre putting youre life and the lives of others in danger.
    supposing a intercity express was passing the driver sees you in the middle of the tracks you look up and freeze at 112 tons of loco coming in on you at 70ish mph he has to apply emergency brakes throwing everyone in the train around not to mention the drivers toughts that he may kill you.

I have one word for people that cross the line like that IDIOTS
    Do all IE staff a favour kill yourself some other way spare them the tought of seeing a mangled body spread over a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

I worked with a man once, who was formerly of London Transport, and responsible among other things to be first on the scene when somebody jumped under or was hit by a train. Can you imagine what those guys have to face?

You have absolutely no concept of how fast a train approaches. Nobody does. This is not a road, where you see a car coming miles away at speed, and you judge you can run across before the car is near. A train approaches absolutely silently. You DO NOT hear it coming. It is upon you INSTANTLY. Another thread here deals with the braking distances required for trains. It is in MILES, not feet.

Think of the locomotive driver, for just a moment. Can you imagine being in the cab, at 70 or 80mph, and see an idiot walking or running across the tracks in the distance in front of you? He might not be quick enough. He might even trip on the sleepers and fall! Do you slam on the brakes of a laden inter city or freight train in case it happens? Do you keep going and hope for the best??? Can you imagine the language of that train driver in the privacy of his cab?

I'm very sorry for the OP, he has learned a hard lesson, but the €500 fine is absolutely in order. Pay it, learn the lesson, and pass the word around. There are NO circumstances where you trespass on a railway. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

HydeRoad wrote: »
    I worked with a man once, who was formerly of London Transport, and responsible among other things to be first on the scene when somebody jumped under or was hit by a train. Can you imagine what those guys have to face?

You have absolutely no concept of how fast a train approaches. Nobody does. This is not a road, where you see a car coming miles away at speed, and you judge you can run across before the car is near. A train approaches absolutely silently. You DO NOT hear it coming. It is upon you INSTANTLY. Another thread here deals with the braking distances required for trains. It is in MILES, not feet.

Think of the locomotive driver, for just a moment. Can you imagine being in the cab, at 70 or 80mph, and see an idiot walking or running across the tracks in the distance in front of you? He might not be quick enough. He might even trip on the sleepers and fall! Do you slam on the brakes of a laden inter city or freight train in case it happens? Do you keep going and hope for the best??? Can you imagine the language of that train driver in the privacy of his cab?

I'm very sorry for the OP, he has learned a hard lesson, but the €500 fine is absolutely in order. Pay it, learn the lesson, and pass the word around. There are NO circumstances where you trespass on a railway. End of story.

Just to add to your point, Hyde; some years ago, a train driver was involved in an incident in Galway whereby he was driving a train that hit a car at a level crossing that killed two people. The driver was invalided out on sick leave for months and never returned to the cab such was the mental distress he suffered afterwards. Only this week, a train in Waterford was damaged after some idiots blocked the track; as a result the line is out of action for 2 weeks. A court case 2 weeks past recorded two men in Limerick who were convicted of trespassing on a track while drunk, and one gob****e's exploits in Monastervian needs not be mentioned again.

The €500 fine imposed on OP for his actions would barely cover the hire of one coach for one day if a line was closed were he hit, let alone litigation, repairs, sick leave and injuries to victims, passenger refunds etc. OP is getting off very very lightly this time round without a criminal record and I sincerely hope he won't repeat his stunt again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I think the point should be made also that a child might see you crossing the lines thus and decide its safe to follow your example.....

every year experianced Permanent Way staff get killed on the line....if they can get caught out, then you could or someone following your example....dont do it , it isnt worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

at the Rushbrooke stop on the Cobh line,
    it was common at Glounthaune for people with buggies to use the line instead of trying to struggle over the bridge. Since they stationed a senior guy there for the Midleton line that's been clamped down on severly. I've seen people cross the line and be thrown out of the station. The same at Little Island - they tend not to let people who cross the tracks onto the train. Proper order too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

What's the world coming to when an Irish man can't walk across mainline rail tracks without being bothered by security guards talking about the 'law'?

The worst part is that they were foreigners. How can any foreigner have authority over an Irish man? It makes my blood boil.

What on Earth could be dangerous about walking on railway tracks? It's a bit mad alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DisandDat

I cannot believe what I am reading here. This is a revenue generating SCAM. Irish Rail could not give a dam about you or your safety, anybody who has ever lost property on a train will know this.

As for the old threat, "I'll ring the guards". Go ahead, by all means. As for handing over my personal details to two russians. Not going to happen.

Protect your privacy, and realise that a scam, even when dressed in health and safety ribbons, its still a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Did the op cross the tracks again this morning?
    Did he see any of the 10 others stopped yesterday doing so?

I think not.

Lesson learned. Job done.

Hagar wrote: »
    Did the op cross the tracks again this morning?
    Did he see any of the 10 others stopped yesterday doing so?

I think not.

Lesson learned. Job done.

I don't need the government looking over my shoulder. I am well able to look after myself. If two Russians approached me I would laugh in their face.

I cross the tracks regular. Its a simple process. Train tracks are laid in a straight line, look left, look right, if nothing is coming, proceed.

You mind your business, I'll mind mine. Nowadays everyone appears to be a busybody, hasseling other people. Its my life, I'll risk it as I see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

DisandDat wrote: »
    I don't need the government looking over my shoulder. I am well able to look after myself. If two Russians approached me I would laugh in their face.

I cross the tracks regular. Its a simple process. Train tracks are laid in a straight line, look left, look right, if nothing is coming, proceed.

You mind your business, I'll mind mine. Nowadays everyone appears to be a busybody, hasseling other people. Its my life, I'll risk it as I see fit.

What a selfish viewpoint.

The trouble is that if you were hit by a train, it would not just be you involved. What about trauma caused to the train driver, and indeed any other people who might witness it?

If we take your synopsis of the situation to it's logical conclusion, you obviously feel that there should be no laws whatsoever in this country?

At the end of the day walking on railway tracks is dangerous, and with the new units being exceptionally quiet, it is even more lethal than it has ever been.

KC61 wrote: »
    What a selfish viewpoint.
    Just you worry about yourself, I don't need you kind having any concern for me.
    The trouble is that if you were hit by a train, it would not just be you involved. What about trauma caused to the train driver, and indeed any other people who might witness it?

I am not stupid, if I see a train I don't cross. Therefore how would I get hit??
    If we take your synopsis of the situation to it's logical conclusion, you obviously feel that there should be no laws whatsoever in this country?
    Thats a big jump. Of course you need laws, I don't need instructions on how to tie my shoe laces, others appear to.
    At the end of the day walking on railway tracks is dangerous, and with the new units being exceptionally quiet, it is even more lethal than it has ever been.

I have two eyes that sort out that problem.

I would love to hear the opinions of men 100 years ago. They would be laughing their heads off at the state of people nowadays. They have to ask before they do anything. Not me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Are there any other laws that don't apply to you, just to other people?

Hagar wrote: »
    Are there any other laws that don't apply to you, just to other people?

Look, I just don't like extortion rackets.

I'll give you some background. Last November, I got off the dart at Pearse. Now my station was not selling tickets, therefore I did not have a ticket. Would that seem logical?

Apparently not for the 4 Polish goons and one excuse for an Irishman who then proceeded to write up a fine. Only yours truly did not give up any information. I was manhandled, all caught on camera, I might add. They said, we'll call the cops. I said, either you do, or I will.

Well what do you know, I was let on my way without even having to pay the 1.90 fare.

These people are not cops, they have no authority. Fight fire with fire.

Thats how you deal with extortion rackets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I like how OTK and my racist friend DisandDat make the exact same point though one is joking and I hope the other gets hit next time he crosses the tracks.

• Advertisement

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I like how OTK and my racist friend DisandDat

So we are all politically correct. If a man is polish and I call him polish, how is that racist???? If a car is red, i call it a red car.

I am white, irish and even though it might be sexist, male.
    paulm17781 wrote: »
    I hope the other gets hit next time he crosses the tracks.
    Not going to happen. You see I have eyes and ears, I put them to good use.

Advertisement