Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your phobia?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

But butterflies are cute!

Some people I know think spiders are cute..... I would beg to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

The dentist - the smell, the sounds, the pain! Aaaargh, I feel sick just thinking about it. Oh and woodlice - the most vile creatures on earth!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

LadyJ wrote: »
    Some people I know think spiders are cute..... I would beg to differ.

Oh yeah well i suppose.(Spiders are cute)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭smiler26

Wasps definitely
    Also, anything with wings that flap - pigeons, butterflies, moths!:eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

DesF wrote: »
    I am scared witless of Dogs.

I hate them, I can't be in the same room as them lest they decide to "make friends" with me and start of jump and slobber all over me. The worst are the "happy" dogs who just want to jump and play and stomp around doing dog stuff.

I hate it when people I meet for the first time say to me "ah, you've never met my dog though, s/he wouldn't hurt a fly, s/he's really friendly, s/he'll change your mind". No, I'm afraid it won't. You think you are the first person to say this to me?

If there is a dog in the vicinity, I go all tense and stand or sit perfectly still, so it doesn't notice me and goes away.

It could be little gay poodle, a big macho German Shepherd, an ugly boxer, one of them "cute" squirrel looking things that growl at stuff, I don't care.

Canine is not this man's best friend.

And I know why too.

When I was little some complete arsehole had a pup Doberman that he decided to "set" on me. It pinned me down by my shoulders and was barking and drooling in my face. I'll never forget it.

I have no compulsion to "get over" this phobia either. I don't need, or want, to.

Anyway, dogs are no way as cool as cats.

QFT - when I was younger somedays I used to have to ring my mum to drive to the top of the road so I could get home from school cause there was a dog out.
    However, dogs aren't as bad as snakes - absolutely petrified of them, even saying the word gives me the shivers. If I see a picture of one in a book, or even one on TV I freak out and start hyperventilating.
    One of my earliest memories is being in the reptile house in Dublin Zoo, screaming the place down, my dad having to carry me out and me not stopping crying for a good hour.
    When we were in Thailand, and there was a guy on the street one, I proceeded to have a panic attack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

orestes wrote: »
    Live fish. I'm not kidding here.

No problem with them when they're in a bowl or whatever, but lakes and the ocean are out of the question.

They can't live on land, we can't live underwater - nature has no intention for us to be anywhere near the damned things! :mad:
    I hear ya!

Though I wouldn't say it's strong enough to call a "phobia". Seeing really evil looking fish freaks me out (like conger eels), and close-up pictures of fish give me shivers. I have swam with live fish though, I just couldn't stand the idea of holding one or dealing with those really weird looking yokes.

*shiver*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Arachnophobia must be one of the most common ones. I don't mind the little dudes. Give me a house full of spiders before a house with one mouse, a cat and several mouse traps any day.

One friend of mine has a fear of spiders that's so intense she's afraid to kill them in case their "relations" get "revenge" on her! She's also afraid to go to the toilet during the night in case she encounters a spider...

My phobia: Mice (as mentioned) and in particular, rats. Any rodents really. I wouldn't be too pushed about hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, squirrels either. All too similar for my liking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Shirty

Dentists!!! So so so scared of them I actually had a doc give me Dazapam (sp?) to get through a visit. i still bust into terrified tears.....

Also not a fan of small spaces, but have learnt to control this one a bit better.

Oh and to add a few more to my list (yes, I truly am crazy), I'm afraid of the dark and will not sleep with the light off if I'm alone and also heights are quite hard for me to deal with. I was agorophobic for a brief spell after a very difficult breakup but that passed eventually. I also suffer from panic attacks (not so much over the last while but every now and again).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

watna wrote: »
    Hi, I'm watna, Tomatoes scare the crap out of me. They have evil seeds that get everywhere and I can't eat food that has touched a tomato or pick up or touch them. Tomato sauce is fine. It's the raw fruit that is evil. They seriously freak me out!

Also, I'm not a very good flyer. This has got better over the last year or so. I'm going on a fair few long haul flights soon and I'm not looking forward to it.

oh, then i should share my theory with you. you don't acutally fly. they havent used airplanes in years. they have a way of transporting people within seconds, but htey don't want this information to be known, in case we find out how well equipped the worlds' armies actually are. what actually happens is during the terminal tunnel thing between the building and the plane you are actually transported in particles ot the country of your destination instantly, but with a horrific time delay thing to make you think you were on an airplane the whole time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I truly am crazy
    Yeah, you're a bit of a crazy all right, but you're our crazy! ;)

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah, you're a bit of a crazy all right, but you're our crazy! ;)

I'm not even done! I'm just posting as I remember all of them!

Death is another one. I know a lot of people are scared of death but when I start thinking about it I can't stop and then I get so worked up I give myself a panic attack.

*tries not to think about death too much while typing this post*

oh christ, i am emotionally incapable of handling death. well, death i can do. other people upset kinda just ****s me over entirely. cannot handle it. i go out of my way to avoid it. if any of ye know, about the only films/tv shows i watch are comedy/surreal stuff and cartoons...

oh christ, i am emotionally incapable of handling death. well, death i can do. other people upset kinda just ****s me over entirely. cannot handle it. i go out of my way to avoid it. if any of ye know, about the only films/tv shows i watch are comedy/surreal stuff and cartoons...

I do worry constantly about other people dying but the thing that really freaks me out is my own death. Infinite nothingness, ceasing to exist and being none the wiser forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever.......

oh man so... many... boosh ... potential lines...

but yeah, im not so worried about my own death, i can handle that, ill be gone, and hell, i've spent half my life seeking out something numbing, i dont think it gets much more numb than dead, but the loss is just... i can't handle it. i couldnt even go to the funeral of the person who meant the world to me. she took me in when i had nowhere to go, was a mother, sister, freind and mentor, and died in a way cos of me, and i visited her grave nearly two years after she got buried, and have yet to go to a funeral in about 3 years, though many i should have attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Afraid of a number of things, but dog's is one of the main ones possibly because you always meets dogs these days. The funny thing is one I know a dog I'm great with it, my fiancee's sister has a big dog that loves to jump up all over you and I love going over to see it, but give me a strange dog and I'm in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I hated school because I cant stand seeing anyone write with it. My best subjects were those that were in classrooms with a whiteboard. :)

I cant write with it, it almost makes me seize up. Tis very weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

I'm terrified of needles, and also not very fond of hospitals, doctors and dentists. I've no idea where the fear came from as I've never been really sick and apart from a few hours in casualty 2 years ago I've never been in hospital. I also can't touch the part of my arm where they take blood from!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

This could be the silliest yet, but I have an irrational fear of handling buttons of all things. I don't like to touch them at all. Now that doesn't mean I have zips on my shirts. :)

Funny thing is I don't think I ever choked on one as a child but I may have seen someone choking.

It's called koumpounophobia if anyone ever asks you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Cotton wool, i just can't go anywhere near the stuff. The noise the texture :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

No phobia as such

But my greatestfear is to die a lonley old man, unmarried with no kids. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

snyper wrote: »
    No phobia as such

But my greatestfear is to die a lonley old man, unmarried with no kids. :(

+1, thank god I've no phobias, I can donate blood on top of a cliff, while looking down and holding a spider no problem.

I just hate that though of never marrying and having kids, I'd feel so incomplete.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Same here Cathooo, but I am terrified of moths and spiders, and certain heights I'm not scared of huge heights just the ones in between where I know if I fell I'd survive and it would hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I am petrified of slugs and snails. Even the thought of them sends me into a cold sweat. I'm so bad that even typing this sentence is difficult because I don't want to think about them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Ketchup and mayonnasie *shudders*. Can't smell it, can barely look at it, can't eat too close to people eating it, get too angry, want to punch things...

That and biting down on wool or cotton things like jumpers. Don't know why you'd be doing this but just thinking about makes me rub my teeth. :eek::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

tribulus wrote: »
    Ketchup and mayonnasie *shudders*. Can't smell it, can barely look at it, can't eat too close to people eating it, get too angry, want to punch things...

That and biting down on wool or cotton things like jumpers. Don't know why you'd be doing this but just thinking about makes me rub my teeth. :eek::confused:

My friend hates mayonnaise too. He calls it the devil's breastmilk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭McSween

cAr0l wrote: »
    QFT - when I was younger somedays I used to have to ring my mum to drive to the top of the road so I could get home from school cause there was a dog out.
    However, dogs aren't as bad as snakes - absolutely petrified of them, even saying the word gives me the shivers. If I see a picture of one in a book, or even one on TV I freak out and start hyperventilating.
    One of my earliest memories is being in the reptile house in Dublin Zoo, screaming the place down, my dad having to carry me out and me not stopping crying for a good hour.
    When we were in Thailand, and there was a guy on the street one, I proceeded to have a panic attack

they're disgusting. walked down a street in milan and out of the corner of my eye i saw a man standing with an alsatian and i knew he had something around his neck, i didn't have to look directly....i went on about 30 yards before i had a good look. i think the lads were calling me to have a look if i remember correctly aswell.

dont know how it started though. i can look at them in a zoo but seriously watch my back in case anyone tries to make me jump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I'm terrified of people touching my neck - only I can touch it. If someone else does I literally scream and panic big time. Also terrified of drowning / being strangled, generally not being able to breathe. I'm sure they're all connected.

I'm also terrified of wasps. I mean what are they for? They're just evil little stinging things that make me scream and run and drop my ice-cream in summer. Wtf?

Heights are ok, unless what I'm standing on feels unstable or is see-through. I panic on see-through stairs and wobbly bridges or glass-fronted elevators.

I also think pigs are really creepy and look like deformed humans *shudders*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Heights are not my friend either. I have mild vertigo.

I'm not sure if these are two seperate, unrelated sentences but I don't think they are. Anyway, just to be pedantic and clear something up...

Vertigo is dizzyness/a feeling of movement when you're still. It's medical, generally attributed to ear imbalances. Although it does have some relevance to a spinning feeling when you're up high.

The amount of times I explain to people that I'm having a bout of vertigo and they say "But sure we're on the ground!".

Acrophobia is a fear of heights.

On-Topic, no irrational fears here that I know of. Friend had a fear of cows though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

Gary Larson

Advertisement