Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your phobia?

Options
  • 19-02-2008 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭

Well, I'm LadyJ and I have a terrible fear of spiders and flying.

Do share yours....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Hi, I'm watna, Tomatoes scare the crap out of me. They have evil seeds that get everywhere and I can't eat food that has touched a tomato or pick up or touch them. Tomato sauce is fine. It's the raw fruit that is evil. They seriously freak me out!

Also, I'm not a very good flyer. This has got better over the last year or so. I'm going on a fair few long haul flights soon and I'm not looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Long hexagonal windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Spiders, heights and open water.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Spiders, flying, deep enclosed water (wells and canals and stuff) , zombies (I'm serious) and fires :/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Mine is spiders and worms.

One has too many legs and the other too few. I'm not gone on other multi-legged insects, like centipedes and so on but that's more dislike than a phobia.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have a terrible fear of falling from a height (climbing up 2 story ladders and other high stuff is a huge no-no).

I also have a very bizarre but hugely real fear of bigfoot/sasquatch. I have spent some time in remote mountain areas and it freaks me out big time when alone in the dark there. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Spiders, rodents and heights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I am scared witless of Dogs.

I hate them, I can't be in the same room as them lest they decide to "make friends" with me and start of jump and slobber all over me. The worst are the "happy" dogs who just want to jump and play and stomp around doing dog stuff.

I hate it when people I meet for the first time say to me "ah, you've never met my dog though, s/he wouldn't hurt a fly, s/he's really friendly, s/he'll change your mind". No, I'm afraid it won't. You think you are the first person to say this to me?

If there is a dog in the vicinity, I go all tense and stand or sit perfectly still, so it doesn't notice me and goes away.

It could be little gay poodle, a big macho German Shepherd, an ugly boxer, one of them "cute" squirrel looking things that growl at stuff, I don't care.

Canine is not this man's best friend.

And I know why too.

When I was little some complete arsehole had a pup Doberman that he decided to "set" on me. It pinned me down by my shoulders and was barking and drooling in my face. I'll never forget it.

I have no compulsion to "get over" this phobia either. I don't need, or want, to.

Anyway, dogs are no way as cool as cats.

People actually listening to me.
    Being clumsy in situations that involve heights. Like see through stairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ooh.

I used to be scared of heights. But then I jumped 15,000 foot from a plane. :D

Yeah baby! I beat that phobia good and proper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Spiders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Small spaces or narrow rooms. My uncle had one of those houses with really low ceilings (no higher than 6' and I'm 5' 8", so it was panic stations :() Not fond of open water either as already mentioned by Chinafoot. I was on the London Eye a few years ago where it is still moving as you have to hop in, terrified that I'd miss a step and land in the Thames. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Now that I think of it... I'm not overly fond of mold... I'll usually spend a minute or two inspecting a slice of bread before using it to make sure there is no mold.

If a cup has mold in it, I'll throw the cup out rather than clean it... oh and I had a big moldy patch on top of a chest of drawers in my office... and instead of cleaning it I taped several sheets of A4 over it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Water. Can't swim and have no intention of ever learning because I hate being in the water so much. At a push I could stand in it up to my waist, but once I feel water at chest level I completely freak out.

Not great with heights either. Fine once I'm in an enclosed space, building, place, etc., but if I'm outside I don't have to be all that high up to start worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet but have a phobia of bees and wasps.

Don't know why.. I've never been stung but it's the fear of it

Not found of spiders either to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Yeah I do have that whole bee/wasp thing too. I can deal with them but hate the idea of getting stung! Heights are not my friend either. I have mild vertigo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

being touch around the whole neck area unexpectantly.

totally fine when i'm in control of the situation but otherwise i'm reduced into a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Heights. Why anyone would voluntarily go up high I don't know. Even looking out of my bedroom window i get the sweats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Live fish. I'm not kidding here.

No problem with them when they're in a bowl or whatever, but lakes and the ocean are out of the question.

They can't live on land, we can't live underwater - nature has no intention for us to be anywhere near the damned things! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I am terrified of wasps (but not bees) its not even the getting stungy by them I just hate them being near me. I tense up and panic and as soon as I get the chance I run.

Walking up stairs, weird on I know. Its not heights and its not just stairs as I can walk down them fine.

Deep water, I am a good swimmer but as soon as the water gets more than 10ft I'm out of there. Its also more lakes and the sea than swimming pools as I can see whats under the water in a pool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

The ocean for want of a better word. Like the open sea with no land visible. I've been on a few long haul boat/ship journeys (mainly from Scotland to Scandinavia) and literally have to be sedated so I won't have a panic attack during the journey. I can swim fine though, and don't even mind swimming at the beach etc but I'm reduced to hysteria when confronted by open sea-eque water:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

All types of spiders, rodents, blood, injections, needles, dentists/doctors

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

Cockroaches

incidentally, there's not many a funnier sight than seeing a wasp wreak havoc on the Tube in London :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭CorsetRibbons

Dish cloths. I can't stand them. Everytime I see one I invisage millions upon millions of germs crawling allover them. I can't go near one without thick rubber gloves on.
    *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭eimearnll

this one for me.
    if ya want to see what panic looks like touch my neck, even a scarf around my neck freaks me out.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Bugs that burrow under the skin! yuck...

I nearly got sick watching Apocalypto when they were forcing those insects into their wounds! Great film though.... (not the same thing but still yuck!)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

eimearnll wrote: »
    this one for me.
    if ya want to see what panic looks like touch my neck, even a scarf around my neck freaks me out.:(
    wow, that's usually a sure fire panty-dropper

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

None, but I wonder do any others fear my friends fear of butterflies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

None, but I wonder do any others fear my friends fear of butterflies...

I'd say so. I know a lot of people who hate moths so it's much the same I'd imagine....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

But butterflies are cute!

Advertisement