Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€250,000 for the Orange Men

Options
  • 05-02-2008 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

Our glorious leaders have decided to piss our hard earned tax Euro's up against the wall and hand over €250,000 to the Orangemen :eek:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mheyqlojcwau/

What's next, give them their own county ?

Oh and WHOOOOOOOO , 4000th post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭big_show

Oh, nice!

*Onslow voice

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

KTRIC wrote: »
    €250,000 to the Orangemen
    In Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim and Donegal, not the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

There's an Orange Order presence in those counties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

biko wrote: »
    In Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim and Donegal, not the North.

Yes, that being my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

maybe it's just a sweetner so they won't do any marches in Dublin again?
    I'm sure the 'Love Ulster' incident cost well over €250,000 in policing and damage costs...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

lol i thought this thread was about the cost of them walking images on oconnell street!!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭big_show

Oh and WHOOOOOOOO , 40000th post

where are you hiding the other 36,000? :P

big_show wrote: »
    where are you hiding the other 36,000? :P

I was so excited that my finger slipped, has been amended to a more modest 4000. :rolleyes:

Yes, that being my point.
    Your point is that the gov is giving money to a religious order in the Republic?
    Unlike their Northern "cousins" the OO in ROI is a quiet crowd. What is your issue with giving them less money than it costs to build a small house?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Our glorious leaders have decided to piss our hard earned tax Euro's up against the wall and hand over €250,000 to the Orangemen :eek:

YOUR hard-earned euro*? Aren't these guys' hard-earned euro* not just as likely to wind up being pissed away on some bog-forgotten catholic junket by the same government?

*perhaps the money would be better spent on teaching people how to pluralise the word 'Euro'?

Or, judging by the title, have you got something against fat naked blokes advertising tango?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Or, judging by the title, have you got something against fat naked blokes advertising tango?

Why yes, yes I do. Fucking Tango :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Your point is that the gov is giving money to a religious order in the Republic?
    Unlike their Northern "cousins" the OO in ROI is a quiet crowd. What is your issue with giving them less money than it costs to build a small house?

Thing is the OO are a sectarian organisation, this is PC madness pissing money like that for the sake of the 'peace process'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I was hoping that the government were organising an Irish version of the Blue Man Group :(

gurramok wrote: »
    Thing is the OO are a sectarian organisation
    Indeed, any organisation excluding members because of their religion should not receive money.
    United Irishmen ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Indeed, any organisation excluding members because of their religion should not receive money.
    United Irishmen ftw!

Have to agree.

I doubt I could I apply for a grant if I was going to use it to set up a club where white Irishmen (of at least three generations standing) could bewail the number of foreign nationals in the country. Maybe I could have a march every year to celebrate the Limerick Pogrom where we Irish ran the Jews outta town.

Orange order are by their very existance, sectarian and thus should not to be supported, or, as the money is coming from the exchequer, state sanctioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Isn't that discrimination based on colour?
    The red, yellow and blue men want money too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Yeah, i'm outraged!
    They should have gotten three times that at a minimum, do you have any idea how much those glourious orange sashes cost? You can't just go and buy them down in tuppin' lidl y'know!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

So the Irish branch of the KKK get a government grant.
    Next week it's the turn of the former IRA members who celebrate the Omagh bombing. It's the same thing really.
    The OO celebrate a murderous bastard, so do the IRA. Equal rights for all, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Nothing surprises me anymore with out government. But I would've thought they'd give away tax money to the IRA before the OO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Shocking. They'll be giving money to the GAA next:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Shocking. They'll be giving money to the GAA next:rolleyes:
    Nice comparison there.
    We all know the GAA have been guilty of associating with known murderers and supporting terrorists.

Terry wrote: »
    Nice comparison there.
    We all know the GAA have been guilty of associating with known murderers and supporting terrorists.

I think that would be fair to say for the NI Orange Men, but not south of the border. If it is right then I stand corrected and withdraw my comparison.

I don't think any pseudo political organisations should get money though, especially as they are perfectly capable of generating all they need by themselves.

I think that would be fair to say for the NI Orange Men, but not south of the border. If it is right then I stand corrected and withdraw my comparison.

I don't think any pseudo political organisations should get money though, especially as they are perfectly capable of generating all they need by themselves.
    They carry the same banner.
    They are the same organisation.
    They just happen to be based in a different country.

Terry wrote: »
    They carry the same banner.
    They are the same organisation.
    They just happen to be based in a different country.

point taken.

for the record, I fail to see why they have been given this money, but I also fail to see why a lot of organisations are given money.

How much does a Sinn Fein TD earn by the way, is this not the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

point taken.

for the record, I fail to see why they have been given this money, but I also fail to see why a lot of organisations are given money.

Roughly as much as a UUP MP does.

Dinter wrote: »
    Roughly as much as a UUP MP does.

probably not actually (But that is a different subject), but I take your point.

Both should be banned from getting anything imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    *perhaps the money would be better spent on teaching people how to pluralise the word 'Euro'?

If you're referring to the unnecessary apostrophe, fair enough.

Otherwise both euro and euros are correct for the plural
    of euro - with euros more accepted as the plural in English.
    http://europa.eu.int/comm/translation/writing/style_guides/english/style_guide_en.pdf.

The euro. Like ‘pound’, ‘dollar’ or any other currency name in English, the
    word ‘euro’ is written in lower case with no initial capital and, where
    appropriate, takes the plural ‘s’ (as does ‘cent’)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

this is terrible its a sectarian organisation beyond any other comparison.

shouldn't be giving it any money, although this is a separate company, I mean you could think of the gaa or church relateds charities, they allow would help anybody I hope atleat this charitable company does the same. as opposed to the OO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

A Sinn Fein TD is elected by voters, that TD gets paid as all TD's do (its a job, they get paid for it :rolleyes: ) Its really quite different, if the orange men want to earn money sure they can try and get someone elected ;) This is basically a handout supporting an organisation that discriminates against the majority of the people who live/were born in this country.

• Advertisement

robby^5 wrote: »
    A Sinn Fein TD is elected by voters, that TD gets paid as all TD's do (its a job, they get paid for it :rolleyes: ) Its really quite different, if the orange men want to earn money sure they can try and get someone elected ;) This is basically a handout supporting an organisation that discriminates against the majority of the people who live/were born in this country.

I was referring to the support of terrorism, which sinn fein do as much as the Orangemen do.

can anyone tell me what it means to be an Orangeman and what they philosophy is? It would be interesting to see how much people know about them as opposed to what they think they know.

Advertisement