Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€250,000 for the Orange Men

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Rob_l wrote: »
    I dont see the problem 250,000 is not a massive sum of money and like it or not the orange order are a part of irish culture and should be funded as much as any other stupid body.

So we have an organisation that has allegiance to a foreign state, does not want to be a part of the Irish state, is against integrating into Irish society resulting in promoting division getting Irish state funds and yet we have a Minister for Integration!

Banana republic! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

But there is a bit of me thinks that if only as a symbol that says "We want all sides to get over themselves and move on, and get on together ..." it may be cheap at the price.
    kmick wrote: »
    Anyone ever here of the concept of 'kill them with kindness'.
    Bingo on both counts. Its a time honoured tradition to buy your enemies, dating from the Persian Empire right through to Japan and Germany after the second world war and even the fall of the Soviet Union. I fully support this initiative, its the smartest move we could make towards a lasting peace in Ireland and unity between north and south. I mean think about it...

"Damn them southern republican catlicks"
    "Err, the ones that just slipped us a quarter million?"
    "..."

Anyway this is peanuts. I seem to recall reading a €30 million government grant or some such staggering sum going to businesses and organisations in the north last year, not sure if it was cancelled though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Bingo on both counts.
    "Damn them southern republican catlicks"
    "Err, the ones that just slipped us a quarter million?"
    "..."
    Anyway this is peanuts. I seem to recall reading a €30 million government grant or some such staggering sum going to businesses and organisations in the north last year, not sure if it was cancelled though.

The Republic is already attempting to kill rabid Loyalism with kindness by funding the Northern Loyalist, Ulster Scot heritage raising awareness campaign etc. This is a community venture though.

I have no problem with that.

However, this is different because the Orangemen are a bigoted, racist, misogynistic group with no community bridge building initiatives of worth.

A group like this cannot and most definitely should not receive government handouts. Of any amount. It alludes to a government seal of approval. Before anyone asks me to compare this to the GAA or the Catholic Church I don't see the relevance. We can start a thread to discuss them.

As posted earlier the closest example to the Orangemen would be the new "modern" KKK, who don't go round burning coloured churches (probably) but you know no coloured wil ever be marrying one of their daughters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Dinter wrote: »
    However, this is different because the Orangemen are a bigoted, racist, misogynistic group with no community bridge building initiatives of worth.
    Bit like Ian Paisley in his heyday, so... and yet there he is sitting grinning with Martin McGuinness. Never underestimate the power of large sums of cashy money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Does anyone know if there were any conditions attached to the use of this funding?

If so, it might change the argument somewhat...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Oilrig wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there were any conditions attached to the use of this funding?

If so, it might change the argument somewhat...
    An Orangeman walks into a pub in Portadown with a frog on his head.

"Where did you get that?" the barman asks.

"Well, it began as a wart on me arse," says the frog, "and look at it now!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'd still rather the working Orange men to get the cash then all the complete wasters on the dole !

Advertisement