Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Paintball A sport?

• 14-01-2008 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭

Found this on youtube, it is a great 10min documentary on speedall, the tournament version of paintball.

Do the poll first and then watch the video. Then post up a reply if the vid made you change your mind.

Video Link: Ballers - Is Paintball a real sport?

Do you think paintball is a sport? 11 votes

Hell no, its is just a bunch of guys playing rambo
    0% 0 votes
    Of course it is, those players train hard and kick ass.
    100% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Yeah ive watched speedball vids before....even without watching a vid like that id still consider it a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

i'd consider it a sport just like any other but the average public perception of paintball tends to be that it is a stag night/corporate team building type of thing, but when you consider people like yourself that play on a regular basis and enter competitions etc... then that aspect of it is a sport

very well made video too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Wossack

is there a less enthusastic poll option for just 'yes' ? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Wossack wrote: »
    is there a less enthusastic poll option for just 'yes' ? :P

Hell No :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Gizmodeon

great video
    I agree that Paintball is a sport!
    If there is an objective to be reached, then it should be considered a sport

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

It didn't change my mind, but I thought it was a sport anyway.
    I kinda agree with Gizmo regarding the achieving an objective thing, except when it comes to golf. Golf is just silly.

I suspect most people on here will view it as a sport, as that's how the airsofters view Airsoft, and we (Paintballers and Airsofters) do have a common history and a tenuous relationship, whether either of us like to acknowledge it or not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Gizmodeon wrote: »
    great video
    I agree that Paintball is a sport!
    If there is an objective to be reached, then it should be considered a sport

Should it not be,

"If there is a objective to be achieved in a competitive enviroment then it should be considered a sport"

But yes, I would consider paintball a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

Its a sport no two ways about it.

ditpaintball is there any reason it shouldn't be?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I view paintball as a sport, whether it be woods-ball (my own personal favourite) or speedball; speedball just makes for better/easier spectator-sport and hence public promotion I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

At the end of the day (ha ha Dr. Pepper) we play essentially the same sport albeit in a different way.

Both Airsoft and Paintball are the practice of tagging someon and putting them out of the game. Dress up, corporate sponsorship, woodlands and logos not withstanding.

I doubt any Airsofter will actually say that Paintball isnt a sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Of course it is, and not just speed-ball, mil-sim is too, contrary to some banned individuals beliefs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

"Its just one step away those extremists groups you see on TV that kidnap people then hunt them"

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭unit88

it is a sport no question about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

of course it's a sport. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

well if its not a sport what is it?

and lads who voted and said it wasnt a sport? :rolleyes:

:cool::cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

Given that darts is a sport - yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Caveat wrote: »
    Given that darts is a sport - yes.

On that note, Chess is also a sport - given recognition by the IOC before anyone wonders "wtf?" :p

As is baton twirling ...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

good video, its more painfull than most other sports, you push yourself just as hard mentaly and phisically as any other sport, its near enough an extream sport :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

id love to know the reasons behind the 2 no votes... guess those 2 people didnt feel like giving posting

and yes, i guess paintball, like airsoft would be more of an extreme sport, but not to the same extent as moto-cross and the like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

c-90 wrote: »
    good video, its more painfull than most other sports, you push yourself just as hard mentaly and phisically as any other sport, its near enough an extream sport :)

Officially the most dangerous non-mainstream sport is actually Cheerleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

NakedDex wrote: »
    Officially the most dangerous non-mainstream sport is actually Cheerleading.

ha lol :D:D:D

Actually I think it's the most dangerous sport in North America altogether. Per capita, more cheerleaders end up in hospital for various injuries, sprains and breaks. There are even a few recorded deaths.

NakedDex wrote: »
    Actually I think it's the most dangerous sport in North America altogether. Per capita, more cheerleaders end up in hospital for various injuries, sprains and breaks. There are even a few recorded deaths.

Its only because white girls cant jump.

Hardly surprising with the kind of acrobatics they do.

Jump-rope (or skipping) is also a sport. Injuris are light and generally result in people chinning themselves after a bad trip...

... I might ask Dar a bit more about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ion c

Suprizingly paintball has less injuries per year than bowling. It also has more players worldwide than rugby, snowboarding or surfing.
    Speedball is one of the fastest growing sport in the state too.
    It's also becoming a fully professional sport with players getting over $150,000 a year to play + sponsorship.
    Linkin Park and Cypress Hill (The Stoned Assassins) also play in the American Leagues

ion c wrote: »
    Suprizingly paintball has less injuries per year than bowling. It also has more players worldwide than rugby, snowboarding or surfing.
    Speedball is one of the fastest growing sport in the state too.
    It's also becoming a fully professional sport with players getting over $150,000 a year to play + sponsorship.
    Linkin Park and Cypress Hill (The Stoned Assassins) also play in the American Leagues

William Shatner is a well known Paintballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Well that video has, to a degree, changed my view point of paintball. Is speed ball played to that level here? I played speedball once and really enjoyed it, but ultimately the facilities where closed due to lack of interest. I always associated paintball in Ireland to the convinces of "a bunch of lads, out on a stag" or the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

c-90 wrote: »

its defo a sport (a sport with loads of headshots mmmm headshots)

William Shatner is a well known Paintballer.

As is Howard Stern. Shatner convinced Howard to come with him one day and try it when he was on his radio show once with the temptation of "Come on, it'll be fun. You can shoot the Captain of the Enterprise."

Stern hasn't looked back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

no its not a sport.

Advertisement