Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odlums oatflakes Vs. Odlums oatmeal/pinhead oats

Options
  • 10-01-2008 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭

In the US I think oatflakes and oatmeal are usually the same thing, rolled oats.

I got odlums pinhead oatmeal yesterday, just to try it. I usually eat my oats just cold milk, not making hot porridge.

The oatmeal is really just cut up oat grains, not flakes. It takes longer to make porridge since it would not absorb water as much. They are therefore less processed. Dunno if this would mean a lower GI or better in general. Would probably take more energy to break them down while digesting, could be slower release and more calories used digesting too, if cooked it is probably the same. They are hard so some may not like them, I do though. I mixed them with some crunchy oat/pecan/maple mix. Most museli mixtures are quite sweet so you can just "dilute" them with plain oats.

Odlums site links to a sister site that shows the processing. THey have the exact same nutritional info as the odlums oatflakes

http://www.mccanns.ie/pages/oatstory1.html#12

Seems the oatmeal will stop processing at stage 8, while the oatflakes go on to be steamed and then rolled.

Comments

Advertisement