Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Points of Interest (Upload & Update)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I thought it was only £2 to get the speed camera POI's from other stuff I'd seen on that site, anyway seeing as there aren't really any in Ireland just yet that isn't too much of an issue. I was more referring to the other POI's that they do have quite an extensive collection of for the UK already and are free, POI's can be more than just speed camera locations.

It's not possible for me to speed on my vehicle anyway so the camera locations are not too much of a concern for me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I actually get a huge amount of POIs from this thread on a motorcycle forum I frequent: UKGSer GPS Forum.

Everything from Burger King Locations, to Tattooing and piercings.. :D A lot of the POIs are for the UK, but they also have helpful Databases, like Campsites in Ireland. Might be something there for someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I'm a newbie to GPS. I've just got a bluetooth GPS unit working with my Dell Axim X51 PDA. I was wondering if it would be easier to share POIs by listing there grid reference points? I'm using TomTom Navigator 6 and it lets you enter latitude & longitude values (I don't know about other software).
    Would this work?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you download in the Garmin format the POI files will often be in .csv format already which you can probably import directly into the program on your Dell. If not then you can convert from the TomTom .ov2 format files into .csv using gpsbabel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

GDB (Garmin DataBase) ad GPX (GPS Exchange Format) are the most common for Garmin units. You can save out as type Text (Tab delimted - same as CSV, except uses a tab delimeter) however, once you save the file out as text, you cannot re-open it in MapSource :confused:..

I'd suggest GPX as it's an XML implementation, and as it's a text file anyone can open it up in a text editor, and pick put the co-ordinates manually, if the converters don't work.

Google Earth also accepts GPX and LOC files.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I have updated the POI's available on the site . Good work guys , keep updating . The list is getting bigger !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

sharkman wrote: »
    The dropdown provides support for the following Garmin units :
    Garmin C310
    Garmin C320
    Garmin C330
    Garmin C340
    Garmin C510
    Garmin C550
    Garmin Nüvi 300
    Garmin Nüvi 310
    Garmin Nüvi 350
    Garmin Nüvi 360
    Garmin Quest 2
    Garmin i2
    Garmin i3
    Garmin 2720
    Garmin Nüvi 660
    Garmin 2730
    Garmin 2820
    Garmin C530
    Garmin i5
    Garmin 7200
    Garmin 7500

Just used this website to add these POI's to my new Nuvi 200 and it worked, so Nuvi 200 can be included to above list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭el diablo

anyone tried the new subscription service fro irishspeedtraps.com? it's €35 for a one year subscription to locations of over 300 fixed and mobile Safety Camera locations in Republic of Ireland including updates for Garmin sat nav units.

looks interesting but does anyone have any feedback?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

el diablo wrote: »
    thanks, I just loaded them on to my Nuvi. what area of the country does it cover? Dublin? :D

Covers:-
    M50 120KM x2
    Donabate N1 50KM
    Lissenhall Little 60KM
    Nevinstown West 60KM
    Drogheda M1 60KM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭el diablo

Sully wrote: »
    Covers:-
    M50 120KM x2
    Donabate N1 50KM
    Lissenhall Little 60KM
    Nevinstown West 60KM
    Drogheda M1 60KM
    yep, cheers. I noticed the alerts pop up on my Garmin a few weeks ago on the M50 (M1 end). so have you downloaded the alerts from the irishspeedtraps site?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

DMC wrote: »
    <mega snip>

Is there anyway of downloading all the files at once, rather than one at a time?

Would like to know that myself, but doubt its possible.
    robinph wrote: »
    If you download in the Garmin format the POI files will often be in .csv format already which you can probably import directly into the program on your Dell. If not then you can convert from the TomTom .ov2 format files into .csv using gpsbabel.

The Garmin 250 uses gpi files, and I cant get my head around using that converter. The files I downloaded are .csv files with the .bmp image attached.

yep, cheers. I noticed the alerts pop up on my Garmin a few weeks ago on the M50 (M1 end). so have you downloaded the alerts from the irishspeedtraps site?

Wouldn't pay the money for something I can get for free. Personally, don't agree with providing the site info for free for them to re-sell it. *shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

how do u save these to the main part of the gps rather than the extras prt cause they dont come up if i search as normal for the destination. have to search the extra place

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Just added the following locations to the DB on POI handler

Hotel's
    -9.08518,53.2587,"Galway Bay Hotel" Inserted to the database
    -9.05436,53.271,"Hotel Spanish Arch" Inserted to the database
    -9.05302,53.2703,"Brennan's Yard Hotel" Inserted to the database
    -9.04902,53.2752,"Curran's Hotel" Duplicated Entry (28 meters)
    -9.04825,53.2738,"Great Southern Hotel, Galway" Inserted to the database
    -9.04775,53.2731,"Victoria Hotel" Inserted to the database
    -9.04025,53.2778,"Four Season's, Galway" Inserted to the database
    -9.00616,53.2783,"Corrib Great Souhtern Hotel" Inserted to the database
    -8.62866,52.6623,"Royal George Hotel" Inserted to the database
    -7.11034,52.2615,"Belfry Hotel" Inserted to the database
    Church's
    6.21742,53.4581,"St Columcilles Swords" Inserted to the database
    -6.2383,53.45884,"St Cronins Swords" Inserted to the database
    -6.15512,53.45064,"Malahide" Inserted to the database
    -6.24054,53.45319,"Rivervalley" Inserted to the database
    -6.13986,53.38866,"Bayside" Inserted to the database

Tollbooths
    -6.38256,53.36287,"M50 Western Parkway" Inserted to the database
    -6.22518,53.34439,"Eastlink" Inserted to the database

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Trotter wrote: »
    How do I add the PoI's to the unit once I've downloaded them?

For example, I can download a file called Supermarkets that should contain PoI's for al types of supermarkets.
    Where do I put that file?

Im using a Tomtom One Europe..

Thanks!

could someone please answer this..I have no clue..please spell it out!!

Easy, just follow these steps:

BUT FIRST ... MAKE A BACKUP ...

1. Make sure your TTG is connected to your PC via the supplied USB cable. Make sure your TTG is recognised as a "removable disk" in your windows explorer. It might also be a good idea to plug in the power adapter to prevent the TTG from loosing power during the installation. This isn't required though;
    2. Use windows explorer to copy the .ov2 and .bmp files to your TTG. Copy these files into the folder on your TTG that contains the maps of the country you want to use the POI's with. Eg. in case I've downloaded a POI file with all the MacDonald restaurants in Belgium, I will have to copy "macdonalds.ov2" and "macdonalds.bmp" file into the "\Benelux Navigator Map" folder. In case these are POI's meant for use in France, I'll have to copy them into the "\France Navigator Map" folder. Etc.;
    3. After having copied all the .ov2 + .bmp files that you want, disconnect your TTG from your PC;
    4. Now you'll have to activate these POI's. For this, go to the "changing preferences" menu. Tap "maintain POI" (second preferences menu). Tap "enable/disable POI". Scroll down until you reach the POI that you've just added. If everything is ok, it will be in the list. Tap on the POI so that it gets checked. Tap "done";
    4. If you also want to be warned by means of an auditive signal when you reach this POI, then tap "warn when near POI" in the "maintain POI" menu and just go through all the steps. For more info on this, check out the first part of this POI special.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,269 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

anyone tried the new subscription service fro irishspeedtraps.com? it's €35 for a one year subscription to locations of over 300 fixed and mobile Safety Camera locations in Republic of Ireland including updates for Garmin sat nav units.

looks interesting but does anyone have any feedback?

The so-called 300 locations are mostly mobile speed traps which were spotted up to two or more years ago, there are bugger-all fixed camera locations in Ireland so it's not really worth paying for this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,269 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

One of the few static (Gatso) speed cameras on www.irishspeedtraps.com is in Sligo but if you look at the 'sighting history' you'll see it was reported by a user in October but two months later another contributor identified it as a dummy erected on a pole by the contractor at a set of roadworks and apparently it's pointing into a nearby field yet they still show it on their map as a static camera.

The vast majority of markers on the map are sightings of patrol cars pulled over and pointing a speed gun out the window. It's definitely not worth 35 euro a year to learn that there was a mobile speed trap on the Athlone to Ballinasloe road last August!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭brophs

I haven't had a chance to open it yet, but apparently this zip file of POI's is quite good. Think it's mainly for the UK but handy nonetheless.

http://www.maft.co.uk/garmin/download.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dinkydee

Hi I have downloaded poi's "successfully" to my garmin 250w, but can't see them in my favourites, for example I downloaded fast food restaurants and still only have 2 McDonalds showing? I downloaded the speed checks mentioned above and I can see them on my garmin but not the other items. If anyone can help, I'd be obliged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

guys you can upload them on to boards.. just make sure you use the advanced edit and you can upload a zip file.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Would be great if we could put our pois up here:)
    I dont know what to do when i download poi's from poihandler.I use winrar to download the files but dont know how to put them onto my garmn 350.Sorry if this answered already but im S*** when it comes to satnav and the different downloady things:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Download this. http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/
    Then go here and read the documentation.

Amazing what a few seconds searching the internet can achieve :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Anybody have the RSA poi Warning file?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I take it nobody reads this forum anymore... Pity

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

you can get it from www.mypois.ie, its was downloaded straight to my garmin from the site so dont where I can find the file. Ill have a look tomorrow and attach it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Anyone come across better sites or a more conclusive POI update file?

I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 250 but happy to carry out any necessary conversions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Sleepy wrote: »
    Anyone come across better sites or a more conclusive POI update file?

I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 250 but happy to carry out any necessary conversions etc.

Yes. POIs generated from openstreetmap.org data.

http://downloads.cloudmade.com/europe/ireland

For Garmin download ireland.poi.gpx.zip and do the necessary conversions for POI. (If you use the gpx to send as waypoints, you'll run out of space as most garmin gps can only handle 500->1000 waypoints.)

If there's any errors with any POIs from the gpx, edit the data in openstreetmap.org and they'll be updated within a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Zionist

Does anyone have the POI's for the Garda Platforms on the eastcoast like Krusty posted up a while back ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Yes. POIs generated from openstreetmap.org data.

http://downloads.cloudmade.com/europe/ireland

That's an amazing site.

Would does the future hold? Navteq and Teleatlas out on their orse?
    A TomTom with OpenStreetMaps map sharing? where you can drive the route that isn't on the map, and then update the database.

Unlike TomTom's which only allow you to tweak the name, etc, but not actually add roads.

Advertisement