Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Kilbeggan to Athlone

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There is a thread about this road in the Commuting and Transport section. Judging from the progress on the route so far, I'd say the first section might be open by April/May 2008 with the entire route later in the summer.

The end of 2007 is wildly optimistic unless you plan on using an off road 4x4.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

According to the NRA the M6 to Athlone doesn't complete until Q4/2008. See link ...

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/WestmeathCountyCouncil/N6KinnegadAthloneKMA/SchemeName,10328,en.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

isnt this just a dual carriageway rather than a motorway? will it still be called the N6?

• Gonzo wrote:
    isnt this just a dual carriageway rather than a motorway? will it still be called the N6?

There are plans to upgrade "windowdress" most of the new dual carriageways to motorways, they are already built to motorway standards.

There is a thread here

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

All of the interurban routes (ie: N6 N9 N3 N4 N8) are to be upgraded to Motorway status. Legislation has been passed to do this I think. If not will be in new dail session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Whats it got to do with the dail? Are they making the signs out the back?
    Or just covering them with red tape?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The relevant legislation is the Roads Act 2007 which recieved assent on 7th June. It allows those dual carrigeways which are built to motorway standard (so called High Quality Dual Carriageways or HQDCs) to be upgraded to motorway status. The National Roads Authority will need to propose the upgrading of a particular section, at which point the Minister will need to publish details of the plans and undertake a consultation process. If he then decides to go ahead with the upgrade, an order can be signed to make the road a motorway. Obviously it is then up to the council to erect the appropiate signs (Motorway Ahead and Start/End of Motorway Regulations signs) and swap all white-on-green/black-on-white signage for white-on-blue signs.

Its intended to apply mainly to schemes on the N6, N7, N8, and N9, although it main also be applied to certain sections on the N11, N18, N20, and N25 (along with the Galway-Tuam section of the N17???). The roads need to be of the same standard as current motorways and not have any private accesses or minor exits on them.

Things have gone awfully quiet on this front, incidently, since Noel Dempsey took over....

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

icdg wrote:
    The relevant legislation is the Roads Act 2007 which recieved assent on 7th June. It allows those dual carrigeways which are built to motorway standard (so called High Quality Dual Carriageways or HQDCs) to be upgraded to motorway status. The National Roads Authority will need to propose the upgrading of a particular section, at which point the Minister will need to publish details of the plans and undertake a consultation process. If he then decides to go ahead with the upgrade, an order can be signed to make the road a motorway. Obviously it is then up to the council to erect the appropiate signs (Motorway Ahead and Start/End of Motorway Regulations signs) and swap all white-on-green/black-on-white signage for white-on-blue signs.

Its intended to apply mainly to schemes on the N6, N7, N8, and N9, although it main also be applied to certain sections on the N11, N18, N20, and N25 (along with the Galway-Tuam section of the N17???). The roads need to be of the same standard as current motorways and not have any private accesses or minor exits on them.

Things have gone awfully quiet on this front, incidently, since Noel Dempsey took over....

Noel Dempsey says he will get it through the Dáil asap!:rolleyes: and its a priority for him!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hmm, he ought to know that it IS through the Dáil! It is the law of the land now, so what now needs to happen is the NRA to start proposing roads to reclassify....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

icdg wrote:
    Hmm, he ought to know that it IS through the Dáil! It is the law of the land now, so what now needs to happen is the NRA to start proposing roads to reclassify....

Best to hold off for a bit while we issue more speeding fines on the new N6 HQDC. I've never seen a road so well covered by speed traps.

• Advertisement

• Stark wrote:
    Best to hold off for a bit while we issue more speeding fines on the new N6 HQDC. I've never seen a road so well covered by speed traps.

Is it that time of the month already.

So far I've not seen any traps recently on that road, probably won't pay for the overtime :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It's imperative that the NRA get these reclassifications in before the roads are completed and the N-signage erected, or otherwise we'll waste millions on green signs that we end up using for about 6 months.

NRA, get the finger out!

• From what I can see from the old road, some sections look almost complete, other sections have at least six months work to do.

Having said that, they will soon be erecting signs at the Athlone & Moate junctons.

There may already be signs on the Moate - Tullamore road at the new junction with the M/N6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 soloeffort

Any one got any update on when the N6 Kilbeggan to Athlone road is going to completed/opened? They look to be making good progress in some parts and other parts look well off bring finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 AM

soloeffort wrote: »
    Any one got any update on when the N6 Kilbeggan to Athlone road is going to completed/opened? They look to be making good progress in some parts and other parts look well off bring finished.

AA Roadwatch has some news about the N6 Kilbeggan to Athlone roadworks at the Athlone interchange. It should be in use by November.

An engineer working on the N6 says it should be complete by March 2008. This was a guess but it was an educated one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

East flowing traffic now uses the interchange at the Dublin end of the Athlone by-pass.
    End of March is the current date, 14 out of 17 major bridge structures 100% complete

• spacetweek wrote: »
    It's imperative that the NRA get these reclassifications in before the roads are completed and the N-signage erected, or otherwise we'll waste millions on green signs that we end up using for about 6 months.

NRA, get the finger out!

The signs at the new Kilmartin junction (behind blanking sheets) westbound are green for the N6 Athlone bypass, there are none erected eastbound yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭tubos

The signs on the n2 ashbourne road are green but the speed limit is 120kmh so the road will probably remain the 'n6' but the speed limit should increase to 120kmh. I don't think it can become the m6 because of something to do with the width of the divide between the two carriageways. Or am I talking through my arse here?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

tubos wrote:
    I don't think it can become the m6 because of something to do with the width of the divide between the two carriageways. Or am I talking through my arse here?

I don't think the divide between the carriageways is the issue. The concrete barrier should be enough to avoid crossovers. Physically, all the new HQDCs are being built to motorway specs.

Previously you needed to get a Motorway order in order to build a motorway in Ireland, which is probably why most of the new roads are 'N' to avoid the bureaucratic process. However, it's much easier to make a road 'M' these days, so hopefully that should happen when they eventually get the finger out.

• blast05 wrote: »
    East flowing traffic now uses the interchange at the Dublin end of the Athlone by-pass.

West-bound traffic now using part of the new road via two short contraflow sections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Stark wrote: »
    Weird i have rarely seen ony on the N6 between Kinnegad and Rochfortbridge. Saw a garda car on the Rochfortbridge flyover once but im not sure he was checking speeds, i was over the limit but he did not come after me as i passed him on the bridge.. although he did start moving. I think he headed towards Rhode or maybe back on to the motorway in the Athlone direction because someone was going faster than me... not sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

The signs on the n2 ashbourne road are green but the speed limit is 120kmh so the road will probably remain the 'n6' but the speed limit should increase to 120kmh. I don't think it can become the m6 because of something to do with the width of the divide between the two carriageways. Or am I talking through my arse here?

motorways dont allow tractors on them so the farmers whos land the road goes thru wouldnt be able to use the road...AFAIK it'l remain a national route till they sort that issue out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

motorways dont allow tractors on them so the farmers whos land the road goes thru wouldnt be able to use the road...AFAIK it'l remain a national route till they sort that issue out.

What sorting out is required, you can only join the road at exits on HQDC in any case. Perhaps they shouldn't ban tractors but place a minimum 70kph limit on the road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

prendy wrote: »

Correct, the main issue isn't anything to do with speed limits, central divider width etc. it's all to do with the issue of access to certain vehicles.

Most of the routes being built at the moment were put past the locals by assuring the farmers that they'd be allowed access to the new roads to reduce farm severance. This was a ridiculous idea that was never gonna fly, and it was inevitable that the gov would revisit the issue. It now seems they will with the announcement recently that all these new roads would be reclassified motorways, which will mean the end of tractors.

I know it's crafty to dodge local opposition by promising access that was never actually going to be allowed, but here we are. IT'S THE 21ST CENTURY PEOPLE!

tubos wrote: »

No issue with the N6. Many UK and European motorways (not to mention the M50 once its' finished, or the M8 for that matter) have only a barrier between the carriageways. If an order under the Roads Act 2007 is made, it can be a motorway.

There is, incidentally, an issue with the N2, which relates to two things - the lack of an alternative route between J1-J2, and the rather dodgey minor exit on the northbound carriageway between same which would not be of motorway standard. Hence the 120kph speed limit but no motorway status.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Pittabang

So is there any advance on a firmer completion date for the Kilbeggan to Athlone road? I heard last week that it is getting opened in 2 sections. Kilbeggan to maote first and then Moate to Athlone later- anyone confirm?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

anyone confirm?

Haven't heard but sounds reasonable given that the Kilbeggan to Moate section has had all bridges finished for a couple of months now while Athlone to Moate is still a month or 2 away from all bridges being completely finished.
    Of course the Kilbeggan to Moate section would not take Moate out of the question just yet !

• The local papers were speculating about the whole secton being opened in April, no mention of it being split.
    Kilbeggan is not really a bottleneck as such when compared to Moate, but having said that I'm sure residants would welcome an earlier opening of "their" bypass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 soloeffort

just heard that Moate will be bypassed by April. But not all the motorway will be opened. any one heard anything different?

• Advertisement

• To open the section that bypasses moate they first have to finish the overbridge between Athlone & Moate, that has some way to go.
    The section between Moate & kilbeggan appears more complete, this could open earlier but not bypass Moate.

All should be open late April according to local press.

Advertisement