Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events archive thread

Options
  • 14-03-2005 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

If you are aware of any events such as conventions, signings etc coming up any time soon please feel free to post a reply here to such.

This is for information ONLY not discussion. If there are any other details needed you can contact the person posting or the venue it is being held at. Any non information replies will be deleted.

Additionally, events may not include such things as sales or any direct advertising for shops - please read charter fully for details on this. If however it is a public event not directly linked to sales (ie. An author signing) this will be allowed. I will edit/remove posts that may fall outside of the charter, and contact the person posting through PM.

EVENT TYPE :
    ADDITIONAL INFO :

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 splayed

EVENT TYPE : Official Relaunch Of Millarworld
    DATE/TIME : Sat July 2nd @ 7PM
    ADDITIONAL INFO : John @ the 3rd Place is organising it.
    Talk to him on 01-6336964.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Emmett

EVENT TYPE : DUBLIN COMIC and TOY MART
    DATE/TIME : Sunday 31st July from 10am-5pm
    ADDITIONAL INFO : Top dealers of comics,toys and sci fi memorabilia from all over Ireland will be packed into two function rooms. ADMISSION IS FREE !!
    There will be goodie bags for the first paying customers, prize giveaways including signed items and original art. Bring a camera and have your picture taken with Spider-man!
    If you'd like to enquire about a dealers table, please call Emmett on 087 9942906 or comicartist@oceanfree.net .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 homer88

EVENT TYPE :sub-con comic convention
    LOCATION :central hotel,exchequer street dublin 2 .across the road from sub-city comics
    DATE/TIME :8th october 2005,10AM-6PM
    ADDITIONAL INFO :Mark Buckingham, who has worked on Fables, Sandman,Miracleman, and many other titles will be there on the day for a signing as well as many dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Wolfman-Eire

On December the 3rd Irish Comic Expo is being held in Central Hotel just off Georges street. And as a bonus for comic lovers, on the 4th Comet Comics is again hosting a Comic Mart in its usual home, Wynns hotel; 10am to 5pm!
    Eug

Wolfman!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Excellent news - I'll make it to the mart at least!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Since I had an email about this I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it up:

EVENT TYPE : Dublin Comic and Toy Mart
    DATE/TIME : Saturday March 25th, 2006 10am-6pm
    ADDITIONAL INFO :

Top dealers of comics,toys and sci fi memorabilia from all over Ireland will be packed into two function rooms.
    Guests: Comic artist GLENN FABRY, author MICHAEL CARROLL
    Events : Sketching contest judged by Glenn Fabry,Prize Giveaways
    Admission : 2 euro,under 12's free
    Any queries should be directed to the organiser, Emmet Taylor : you can get him at comicartist@oceanfree.net.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

eirtakon anime and manga con, click the link for info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Emmett

EVENT TYPE :Comic & Toy Mart
    LOCATION :NEW LOCATION!...Royal Dublin Hotel, O'Connell Street,Dublin
    DATE/TIME :10-6 on Saturday May 5th
    ADDITIONAL INFO : This is a special FREE COMIC BOOK DAY Mart so bring a friend and introduce them to comics. There will be tens of thousands of comics for sale as well as related merchandise and local small press comics. We'll have a seperate room off the main room showing comic related dvds.
    Admission is 1 euro and under 12's are free. Each person is entitled to chose 2 of this years FREE COMIC BOOK DAY comics. Anyone wishing to sell at a table can contact me at 087 9942906 or comicartist@oceanfree.net . 'Look forward to seeing you there!

2D festival

EVENT TYPE : comic festival
    DATE/TIME : april 19th -21st
    ADDITIONAL INFO : at the moment looks very much like a mainstream show no word yet on any alternative press.

Caption 2007

EVENT TYPE :smallpress comic con
    DATE/TIME :august 11th and 12th
    ADDITIONAL INFO : Flights on ryanair at the moment for 20euros to London but you have to bus/train it 50km to oxford

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Overcooked

ztoical wrote:
    Caption 2007

EVENT TYPE :smallpress comic con
    DATE/TIME :august 11th and 12th
    ADDITIONAL INFO : Flights on ryanair at the moment for 20euros to London but you have to bus/train it 50km to oxford

has anyone been along to this one before?? if so, what did you think? it sounds interesting the fact that there's no dealer tables and that all the comics are sold from one main table...

Overcooked wrote:
    has anyone been along to this one before?? if so, what did you think? it sounds interesting the fact that there's no dealer tables and that all the comics are sold from one main table...

was meant to go last year but i wasnt back from new york in time.....have mixed feelings about not having exhibators tables, as an artist I enjoy working a table as you get to talk to people about your work, also as a comic fan what i like about small press shows is that the person sitting behind the table is usally the artist so you can talk to them about their work rather then dealer tables were the people running them are retailers.

every show is different and its always fun to hit a new one cus you never know how your work will go down or what will sell, the book/print you sold out of at the least show might not sell at all and the one no one liked last time is the big seller......I'm looking forward to seeing what caption is like

i'm definitely curious to check it out. what sounds appealing to a newbie like me is the fact that you don't have to hire a table, but that you still have a chance to sell comics. i can certainly appreciate that that might be a nightmare for more established artists though. but for someone such as myself who's only starting off it seems like a cheaper alternative to the cons where you have to rent a table.

Overcooked wrote:
    but for someone such as myself who's only starting off it seems like a cheaper alternative to the cons where you have to rent a table.

Con season can be very pricey [just paid $325 for my MoCCA 08 table] but only the really big cons sell expensive tables - MoCCA, SPX and SDCC are the most expensive. Tables for alot of small press events aren't to bad - APE is the west coast alternative to MoCCA and their tables are only $150 odd which for a two con is damn good. SPACE and Stumptown are under the $100 mark plus any half decent con sells half tables as well, American con tables tend to be bigger then UK based events and a full table can be alot to fill if your only starting. [Of course you have to add travel, hotels and printing costs as well]

The uk web and mini comic thing is a good con in london, full tables last here were under £50, but save money by sharing a table, thats what I did for my frist few years at MoCCA, this year was the first year I had enough of my own work that i could fill a whole table by myself. I'm always up for sharing a table at con if someone is really interested in attending, or I'll take peoples stuff for them if they can't make a con[within reason of course]. I've had friends take my stuff to a number of cons round Europe and the states for me cus I took their stuff to cons they couldn't attend.

Of course if you goal is to make money you shouldn't be hitting comic cons but anime conventions - artists alley tables tend to be much cheaper and if your good at quick sketches you can make a decent profit doing comissions.

hmm it's all very interesting. i think you hit on the key thing there - not having enough work to justify a table to yourself i.e. me. i'm going to go along to the Caption event though and 'dip my toe in the water' by bringing along my first mini-comic (if i can get it done in time!:o ). my aim is definitely not to make money at this stage anyway, it's just to get feedback from other people.
    that mini-comic con in London sounds good - when is it normally on?

Overcooked wrote:
    that mini-comic con in London sounds good - when is it normally on?

dates for the 08 uk web and mini comic thing havent been posted yet but its usually mid-March - tables should go on sale round the start of october. I've gone the past two years and had a blast, def crowd increase this year so hopfully bigger and better next year.

Will see you at Caption :D

ztoical wrote:
    dates for the 08 uk web and mini comic thing havent been posted yet but its usually mid-March - tables should go on sale round the start of october. I've gone the past two years and had a blast, def crowd increase this year so hopfully bigger and better next year.

Will see you at Caption :D

cool will see you there.:) really looking forward to seeing your artwork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Robert Curley

Sub-Con Saturday 29th September 2007.

This years con guest list includes Steve Niles - 30 Days of Night writer/creator, Pia Guerra - Y The Last Man artist, Simon Furman - Transformers writer, Bryan Talbot - 2000AD, Luther Arkright, Leah Moore + John Reppion - Albion, Ian Boothby - Simpsons writer, Stephen Mooney - Angel artist, Stephen Thompson - Buckaroo Banzai + Star Wars, Declan Shalvey - Freak Show, Will Sliney - Atomic Rocket Group 66. Doors open at 10am and stay open till 5pm. Admission is 10 Euro. The con is on the first floor of the Central hotel with three dealers rooms, a room for talks and a full bar. For more info check out the Myspace site or pop in/ring Sub City at 01 6771902 to book your ticket. Or simply turn up on the day and pay at the door!

Edited by Fysh to fix a broken link

UK web and mini comix thing '08

EVENT TYPE : alternative press comic con
    DATE/TIME : march 22nd
    ADDITIONAL INFO : bit early for those who just want to drop in but for exhibitors the tables are now on sale - The Thing posts the floor plan and allows you to pick your table which is different but nice. This is the 5th year of the thing and the last few years have been great so looking forward to another good weekend in london.

posting via thing boards:

"Hey everybody! Greetings from across the pond! Thought you lads and birds might like to hear what's going down over here in Austin, Texas, y'all. To wit:

STAPLE! The Independent Media Expo is back for its fourth annual show! www.staple-austin.org

Come out Saturday March 1st, 2008 to a new location – the Monarch Event Center next to Highland Mall – www.monarcheventcenter.com. This exciting new venue occupies the site of the former Lincoln Village Theater in the Lincoln Village shopping center in north central Austin. It’s been completely remodeled and refurbished into a lovely new spot just perfect for a bigger and better STAPLE!

We are very pleased to announce a very special guest for STAPLE! 2008 - BRIAN WOOD! Author of Channel Zero, Couriers, DMZ, Demo, Local, Supermarket, and the forthcoming Northlanders (available December 5th), Brian has made his mark as an influential and eclectic pioneer of independent comics creation. We are very honored and excited to have him appear at STAPLE! For more on Brian go to www.brianwood.com

And if you’d like to start making your own mark, you can be an exhibitor at STAPLE! Exhibitor registration is now open and tables are available at $65 for an eight footer and $35 for a half – cheap! They always sell out fast so to get yours now go to www.staple-austin.org/register

STAPLE! The Independent Media Expo is the Southwest’s only convention for independently produced comics, zines, graphic arts and animation. The fourth annual Expo is Saturday, March 1st, 2008, 11am-7pm at the Monarch Event Center in Austin, Texas. Admission is STILL only $5 at the door! For more info go to www.staple-austin.org

Hope to see you there!

Chris "Uncle Staple" Nicholas
    www.staple-austin.org
    http://www.myspace.com/staple_austin"

• Advertisement

wayyyyyyyyyy to short notice but figured I'd post anyway as someone might be heading to leeds for the weekend.

The Leeds film featival is holding "thought bubble", a sequential art festival from the 9th [yes tomorrow] to the 11th

index-logo.png

I like how they're calling it sequential art - SCAD does that as well, trying to make themselves sound posh lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Looks good. I think Adi Granov's wife puts this on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

That she does. Was actually in leeds last week and there is a very good buzz off this.
    Fractal Matter have a good report on it.
    http://fractalmatter.com/main/?p=753
    we can also confirm that we have the amazing film "Persepolis" as the centrepiece of Thought Bubble's screenings
    Should you be interested in going Ztocial
    tamsin isles wrote on Oct 30 2007, 12:05 AM:
    Oh, thought I'd show you guys this. We asked artists and guests to submit a 'Leeds Superhero' drawing to us, and here's what we got!

Jeffrey Brown (this one is available on a t-shirt, contact thoughtbubble@hotmail.co.uk for more info or buy one at the con on Sat 10th):

jb-wordpress.jpg

Duncan Fegredo:

fegredo-wordpress.jpg

Adi Granov (this piece might be raffled or auctioned off, what do you think?):

flyingscan.jpg

flying.jpg

David Shrigley:

d-shrigleywordpress.jpg

I am biased, but I love them ;D
    Should be a fun event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Granov is a filthy talented bastard. him and Adam Hughes produce some of my favourite art.

MarkHall wrote: »
    Should you be interested in going Ztocial

I was all set to go back in august unfortunately for family reason I have to miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Dispite not going myself. I did mangae to Win the Adi Artwork by getting a mate to pick me up a few tickets. So I am chuffed. Tamsin is bring it over for me this weekend. \m/.

MarkHall wrote: »
    Dispite not going myself. I did mangae to Win the Adi Artwork by getting a mate to pick me up a few tickets.

Congrats :D

again short notice but Eirtakon, a DCU based anime con is on this weekend.

EVENT TYPE : Comic Festival
    DATE/TIME : January 24th to 27th
    ADDITIONAL INFO : The Angoulême International Comics Festival is the main comic book festival in Europe [over 1/4 million visitors last year]. Its taken place ever year since 1974 in Angouleme, a town so cracked about comics and illustration that the streets are named after famous artists.

The sites english verision appears to be MIA at the moment hopfully it will be back up soon. There are special deals on train fares from paris via the website.

Like SDCC its one of those cons you should make the trip to at least once in your life.

Angouleme for beginners

• Advertisement

Not really an upcoming event but some video footage from the just finished Angoulême Festival..lots of people taking in french but the last minute is a nice run around the festival locations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement