Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Army Rangers Dog tags

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Steyr wrote:
    Hey im in the RDF, Status: Current. The RDF/PDF do not have "Dog Tags" and i do not think the ARW do either.

Your wrong.

Personel serving oversea's are issued a set of dog tags with your Name, Number, Blood group and religion, NO RANK. Our dog tags are cheap pressed steel and about the same size as the old one pound coin. You get two on one chain. Usually on returning home your tags will be kept with your personal file and issued again (with your S.A.D.) on your next tour.

The ARW are issued the same tags.

If the OP PM's me I can photograph mine and email the pic.

Degsey, get off his back for crying out loud. Lots of people are interested in militaria, including wearing DPM's etc etc etc... Your really proving nothing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Well said Mairt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

OP was asking a question.

Unfortunatly, there was a retard convention next door and they all decided to throw in their "50 reasons why abortion should be legalised".

He wants info, the lad doesn't have to stress this one more time...

He wants dog tags.
    He wants to have them engraved.
    He is Irish.

Now, I know the obvious evelution from the above information is that he would want to have his dog tags simular to, or even the same lay out as the sri-lanka national reserve, but for some reason he has chosen the Irish army, and has even identified with a part of it he admires...

So for what ever reason, which no one is in a position to judge, he wants to wear something, and if he wants to tailor it to something he admires or asspires to, then please, next time you hear a question asked, if you don't know the answer then don't reply, and if anyone wanted your opinion on dog tags or the wearing of them then I'm sure somebody would have asked.

If you have sh*t to shovel then start your own thread, this is a simple question with a simple answer.

Looks like you're sorted anyway OP with what you were looking for (eventually), hope your happy with the results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Ah, could be worse.

He could be looking for Burberry sportwear and scrapped Toyota Glanzas, "cos a tree jumped out in front of me OMGLOLZ".

Certainly not the worst offence in the world. My missus (PDF-4th BN) was reading the thread and empathised with Mairts' comments, hence my post.

Nothing to see here etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Binomate wrote:
    [Edit] Why would you wear dog tags? They look shite and serve no purpose in Ireland outside of Moyross.

I almost always wear mine, on duty or off.

If it saves any time in the hospital for them to already know who I am and what blood type I am when I arrive after that drunk driver hits me, I think it's a good thing.

I'd suggest RSI number or Next of Kin telephone number (Format: NOK 01-123-4567) since I presume you won't have an Army number.

NTM

• Advertisement

I almost always wear mine, on duty or off.

I did for a long time too. I had mine made in Lebanon and similar to the Israeli Defence Forces tags (http://www.israelmilitary.com/commemorative-with-date-independence-p-236.html?osCsid=99da28242b24f0bd6d3ec0f626a17566). They were far better quality to the pressed steel issue tags we had/have.

I lost them awhile back, not sure if it was oversea's or home, but I'd love them back. I first wore them on the 63rd Bn UNIFIL and a few trips since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

ThatGuy wrote:
    Yes testicle, the RDF 'do' have identifications cards - but we only get these (mostly useless) cards if we join the (mostly useless) union. Not worth the deduction in wages each Summer I might point out.

If you read the rest of the thread you will see that you are wrong.

Steyr wrote:
    I dont care for you or your age Testicle. You need to relax, how am i saying that im part of the USMC? Please get over yourself it's not me looking for ( dare i say it ) Dog Tags, that are mostly worn by ( dare i say it again Testicle? ) The Yanks..:rolleyes: So what if i said my status is current? I am "currently" in the RDF, is everything American sounding to you? You know there are "alot" of people in the RDF but are not "current" sure they are on the books but when it comes down to it alot of them were just in to make a quick buck and get out and are just names in a book and have prob not even returned to the RDF, ive seen it happen so they wouldnt be "current" i know its USMC sounding to you..:rolleyes: you need to stop being so....well.....Testy.....:D

remember "current" is just a word, try have a nice day.

Right.
    Dog Tags are worn by every soldier in the world, when deployed. If you seem to think that this is a "Yank" thing, then you are veery much mistaken.

The corect word is effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

:D Funniest thread I've read in a while, keep up the good work lads:D

Unfortunatley, everything related to the military in general will bring out every walt and counter-striker, and 3* Pte FCA from Galway to preach on somehting they know a little about.

A little knowledge, as they say, is a dangerous thing

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

testicle wrote:

A little knowledge, as they say, is a dangerous thing

Thats the best thing you have ever said in your entire life, well done Sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Mairt wrote:
    Your wrong.

Personel serving oversea's are issued a set of dog tags with your Name, Number, Blood group and religion, NO RANK.

Thats grand i stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Nick wrote:
    OP was asking a question.

Unfortunatly, there was a retard convention next door and they all decided to throw in their "50 reasons why abortion should be legalised".

He wants info, the lad doesn't have to stress this one more time...

He wants dog tags.
    He wants to have them engraved.
    He is Irish.

Now, I know the obvious evelution from the above information is that he would want to have his dog tags simular to, or even the same lay out as the sri-lanka national reserve, but for some reason he has chosen the Irish army, and has even identified with a part of it he admires...

So for what ever reason, which no one is in a position to judge, he wants to wear something, and if he wants to tailor it to something he admires or asspires to, then please, next time you hear a question asked, if you don't know the answer then don't reply, and if anyone wanted your opinion on dog tags or the wearing of them then I'm sure somebody would have asked.

If you have sh*t to shovel then start your own thread, this is a simple question with a simple answer.

Looks like you're sorted anyway OP with what you were looking for (eventually), hope your happy with the results.

Thanks Nick & The_B_Man and thanks to testicle for the information.

As for the rest of you, if I wanted yer opinions and judgments I would of asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Dempsey wrote:
    As for the rest of you, if I wanted yer opinions and judgments I would of asked.

By starting a thread on here you opened yourself up to their opinions and don't get to complain about it to be honest. Though I'm not sure why people get so worked up, if I ran this past a few of my mates in the IDF they'd just get a laugh out of it tbh. This is also the wrong forum to ask this question tbh but I'm not going to inflict this thread on Military at this point.

Dempsey wrote:
    It's ridiculous isnt it...;)

nesf wrote:
    if I ran this past a few of my mates in the IDF they'd just get a laugh out of it tbh
    Course they would, they'd be like "so what, we're from Israel":D

nesf wrote:
    By starting a thread on here you opened yourself up to their opinions and don't get to complain about it to be honest. Though I'm not sure why people get so worked up, if I ran this past a few of my mates in the IDF they'd just get a laugh out of it tbh. This is also the wrong forum to ask this question tbh but I'm not going to inflict this thread on Military at this point.

Fair enough nesf, I didnt realise there was a military forum, otherwise I would have asked there.

I dunno why people got so worked up either

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ruen wrote:
    Course they would, they'd be like "so what, we're from Israel":D

:p

I don't really keep track of the acronyms I figured IDF = Irish Defence Forces. Sometimes in the pub it's more bloody acronyms than words in their sentences when they are talking about work. It's like some spoken version of text speak at times.

Dempsey wrote:
    Thanks Nick & The_B_Man and thanks to testicle for the information.

Checkout post #62...

:rolleyes:

Mairt wrote:
    Checkout post #62...

:rolleyes:

Sorry mate, I knew I would forget someone:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Feck it lads. He asked for specific info, not opinions. If you don't have or don't want to give the info, don't post.

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

just spotted this thread now.
    A friend of mine does custom id tags, for medical alerts, next of kin info etc.
    Originally created as he is a biker and many bikers when out riding in full biker gear don't carry a wallet.

Check out his site at www.thepersonaltagzcompany.com

He might even be able to do something more military if you ask him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Wow. You people need to relax. He asked a simple question, no need to act like arseholes.

C'mon if they feel that strongly about simple questions they really should stick it to him, I mean who's he to ask for trivial information from people on the internet. I think he should be dragged out and lynched

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

all the negative comments seem to be based on the premise that hes gonna go and pretend hes in the rangers. i know for a fact that he wont be doin that!!

also, if someone buys a liverpool jersey with their name on the back, does that mean they're gonna go off and pretend they're on the liverpool first team? dont think so!

it was an honest questin the OP asked, wit no seedy undertones, or malicious intent.

The_B_Man wrote:
    all the negative comments seem to be based on the premise that hes gonna go and pretend hes in the rangers. i know for a fact that he wont be doin that!!

also, if someone buys a liverpool jersey with their name on the back, does that mean they're gonna go off and pretend they're on the liverpool first team? dont think so!

it was an honest questin the OP asked, wit no seedy undertones, or malicious intent.

Unfortunetely there's alot of low-lifes on boards who think it makes them appear smart or 'hard' if they bully other members.

While we can expect that here on AH unfortunetely its spilling over into other forums too. I recently posted a very serious thread in the 'Dublin City' forum, which turned to sh*t in about two posts, I had to ask a Moderator to lock it for me as I generally don't entertain clown's.

***rant over***

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

Had a good laugh at this thread. Personally, I wouldn't ever wear dog tags, because I think they look ridiculous (unless you're a rapper) but the poor lad only asked a question.

Typical of forums - keyboard warriors on the high moral ground, who think they have the authority to speak on behalf of those in the Defence Forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

irishbird wrote:
    i dont know why you are disappointed? you have got to have realised that people on this site have had friends/family in the Defence Forces and/or rangers and some of them may have been killed or injured in the line of duty, and you come along spouting this rubbish, if you are not going to "pretend" to be in army why put it on your dog tags? why not just put Liverpool FC or some other symbol - why the rangers?

Jesus, this is Ireland, not fúcking Britain or the States where they actually have people putting their lives at risk daily. Cop it.

EDIT: Don't mean for that to be offensive to anyone, except irishbird, but I can see as it could be seen as saying the Irish army is useless/not a real army, or something along those lines. That's not what I meant.
    Steyr wrote:
    Thats grand i stand corrected.

Are you actually in the army?

• Advertisement

Jesus, this is Ireland, not fúcking Britain or the States where they actually have people putting their lives at risk daily. Cop it.

EDIT: Don't mean for that to be offensive to anyone, except irishbird, but I can see as it could be seen as saying the Irish army is useless/not a real army, or something along those lines. That's not what I meant.

As a matter of fact we do lose troops on oversea's mission's.

When I was in Lebanon in '89 we lost four lads. One shot by the SLA in a village called Haddatha and three blown u by a land mine in Barash*t.

The longest person (all nationalities) 'missing, persumed dead' in Lebanon is an Irish soldier.

On one of my last tours of Lebanon we'd an 18yr old lad from Galway killed by mortor fire. Another we lost was a promising boxer also from the west who was killed in a firefight in another village called Aljurn.

I could go on, but I'm afraid my time would be wasted on you.

You really should educate yourself on the great humanitarian work your Defence Forces are doing oversea's.

Some of our oversea's missions;

http://www.military.ie/overseas/index.html

Before you entertain the thoughts of asking me that one, I've 22 yrs service, and counting.

Btw, I don't take offence at what you said. I just think you should educate yourself before making statements which could offend.

Advertisement