Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movie Extras Megathread

Options
  • 26-04-2007 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

I wanna get work as an extra in films

Does anyone know what the site MovieExtras.ie is like?

Or know any other way of getting jobs as an extra?

Any help appreciated

Thanks in advance

Jeebus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Moved from After Hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Moved from Politics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

This went to Politics???

Its not really suited under Television as its more abt films, so could ye move it there please?

well?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Moved to Films.

PS - must be a record for most moves of a single thread!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

...sorry... :o

Moved to Film Production.

Also, no, it wasn't moved from Politics, Mordeth is just being a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Im a member of movieextras.ie
    I get lots of offers. So far Ive worked in Last Furlong, Tigers Tale and (pretty soon) the Helpless Spider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

Galvasean wrote:
    Im a member of movieextras.ie
    I get lots of offers. So far Ive worked in Last Furlong, Tigers Tale and (pretty soon) the Helpless Spider.

Have you made your initial investment back yet? How does it work, they give your details to various production companies who then contact you directly if need be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The Tudors is coming back for another series out in Ardmore. They used loads of extras last year. That would definitely be worth looking into - you could get a good amount of work on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

stolenwine wrote:
    Have you made your initial investment back yet? How does it work, they give your details to various production companies who then contact you directly if need be?

I believe it's €59 per year. So if you hang around it for a few years without work, one job would easily pay for it. I think its a really cool idea for actors/those interested. But remember, its not all film work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 foxyloxy01

There's a great new site called TakeOne that has lots of acting jobs, I think its quite new but Ive heard great things, the site is www.takeone.ie

checked out TakeOne, doesnt look the may west

Any1 else got feedback on Movie Extras???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

If I'm in the wrong place here please move me Mod!
    Has anyone had any experience of joining MovieExtras.ie? Good or bad reviews more than welcome! Cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=309181&highlight=extra

there was a thread on it a while ago with comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

hi there i have just joined movie extras about 3 weeks ago and i havent received any replies yet ? should i b worried? i was just wondering if its just slow at de start
    do they pick u based on looks ?
    i am 16 , so would there b many jobs for my age group?
    also i got a picture rating of 4 out of 5
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Without sounding bad, I would be a bit sceptical about these agencys, there are a lot of them that promis kids in the Uk photoshoots etc and never get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭LeotheLion

well I joined them before,I got an extra part for some bbc production which was good laugh,however I was offered a extra part on fair city which I confirmed via text message,however I had a change of plan and could not make it to fair city the next day,I contacted movieextras (1 days notice)via text message and email to inform them to cancel me as I could not attend the casting the next day,despite giving them plenty of notice the girl that looks after extras for fair city(censored) never acknowleged my text message and they did not accept my email so black listed me.(would not let me get any more parts)
    So no I would not recommend them,how could any one after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

A friend of mines cousin joined them not too long ago and is now an extra on The Tudors so people do get work from it

I was on it for a year or two. Generally i noticed I was offered less work during the summer months and a lot more when I was actually in college. I guess there's a lot more people available right now. Be patient and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Can anyone tell me whether or not in the current economic climate its worth registering for movieextras.ie or is the volume of work being given worth the €89 for the year?

Cheers
    APM

• Advertisement

89 is quite steep. When I signed up ages ago there was an introductary offer of €50 for your first year. its worth that much I'd say

• Company Representative Posts: 103 Verified rep MovieExtras.ie: Derek

Derek here from MovieExtras.ie.

Firstly, to respond to leothelion, as far as I can gather, you contacted us late in the evening to cancel for the next day and you were not blacklisted for this. It was when you put up offensive photos on your profile. I was very taken aback by your reference to Debbie, who is one of the nicest people in the industry, and is well liked by everyone in Ardmore and by our members.

Secondly, for the general queries while you are taking a risk in joining up, we do our very best to be involved with as many productions as possible. From the big budget productions all the way to the zero budget and student productions. We are unique in providing a free to use directory service to the industry for anyone seeking extras, actors or models. We also cast directly for productions, such as Fair City. Over the past three months there has been 5,000 paid days through our casting service (this excludes members recruited directly through the directory service).

We rely on member’s fees to keep the business going as we generally make a loss on all the casting work that we do, thus it is always in our interest to get as much work as possible for our members either through our casting service or the directory.

Hope this gives you some insight into what we try to do. We are in the Westbury Hotel on this Friday to Sunday for our annual days, feel free to drop down and have a chat with us.

Best wishes
    Derek

In the old days when there were lots of big budget US films being made here, the summer was mad! There could be several films requring a couple of thousand extras each. Alas, without these films, the summer months can be quite, as it is generally dependent on commissioning rounds from RTE. Though over the last three months it was very busy and we had about 5,000 paid days (this excludes stuff from The Tudors which is through our directory service). Currently our members are involved with Fair City, Aislings Diaries, Belonging to Jane, Pure Mule and The Tudors.

Derek (from MovieExtras.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 makeup_emma

If you set your availability to available all the time you should start getting work requests.

It takes about 2months to get everything set up and then you should get work requests fairly regularly.

I do it as a side job to my full time job (www.emmafarrellmakeup.com) I generally get one days work a week, mainly on fair city.

Met a girl the other day who got €2000 for a vodafone ad! Now that would be pretty sweet!

Hi

Derek here from MovieExtras.ie

tommydublin, sorry to hear that you have not being offered anything so far. Some people can be offered work within days of joining while others, it could be weeks or even longer. It depends on what is required. In saying that, drop me a line to derek@MovieExtras.ie and we will have a look at your profile.

Through our directory service and Fair City, in the last quarter there were 195 logins by production companies and casting directors viewing 13,080 CV's. Currently, to get 50 people out for a day we have to approach in excess of 300 people!!!!

Also, we are on the cusp of announcing a very big production that we will be involved with over the next 8 months.

So hopefully there will be soemthing coming your way soon.

Thanks Emma for your post.

Cheers
    Derek

Director
    MoveiExtras.ie
    Ardmore Studios

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

Signed up for movie extras last week and got a call today asking me to get involved in camelot on Monday. I have to meet their shuttle bus service at liberty hall early monday morning. I have no idea what to expect - I guess I should dress in warm, comfortable clothing as I will be outdoors, and a pair of boots, and although i am being fed I suppose some snacks would be a good idea. Any other advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Bring a book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 baileymay

hwo did you sign up for movie extras and where? and did it cost you money to do so!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

baileymay wrote: »
    hwo did you sign up for movie extras and where? and did it cost you money to do so!?

http://www.movieextras.ie/index.html

I think they do charge you to join alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Sealad

Lucky you, I signed up a few months ago, paid the €90 and have not seen anything remotely like work since then. Im beginning to think it all a bit strange as I have seen many adverts for 'Photoshoots' but no real results. Anyone else in this category ??:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement