Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movie Extras Megathread

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

never pay to join an agency

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

well, i got my 2 days, nd have not heard a peep from them since. How do i get more work out of these guys, i could do with some cashflow at the moment. I

Is the whole thing a bit of a scam, they give you a few days when you sign up to keep you interested and then forget you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Pauric

I've been with movie extras for a few years, this is the first year I haven't renewed my sub. I got plenty of wok from them and from getting to know the extra co-ordinator on each set I was on. If you get to know them then you'll get more work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sealad

At this stage all I get is 'audience participation' for shows like 'off the rails', was a photoshoot really necessary for this ??. A real scam I fear.

• Company Representative Posts: 103 Verified rep MovieExtras.ie: Derek

Hi Guys

Derek here from MovieExtras.ie

Just to put your mind at ease, we never ever 'give you a few days when you sign up to keep you interested and then forget you'. People are called who are appropriate to the roles that we have. Generally we have to contact between 8 to 10 members to get someone available for a role.

About half the jobs that our members get called for is via the directory service, so we have absolutely no control over who goes out. Over the past month there were just under 100 logins into the service with over 4,000 views of members CV’s. One of the latest gigs was for an advert which will be paying E4,000 to the lucky people who get it (2 adults and 2 children)!!

We do hold regular photoshoots, as we need to maintain the number of people that are available to work. People come and go with the service on a regular basis. Some members would get full time jobs, go back to university, leave the country or simply tick the box as been an extra and don't want to do it anymore. Some people leave and then rejoin in three or four year’s time.

There are times when we could be involved in five or six projects and suddenly there might be a day where we need three or four hundred people out, or maybe 50 people aged between 50 and 60, so we need to have all these options covered so that we can provide an excellent service for production companies.

Generally, most members get called on a regular basis when there is stuff happening. If you have not been called out on something for awhile, feel free to send an email to Don at Support@MovieExtras.ie and he can review your account and see is there anything that can be done to improve the opportunities for you.

We have been around for nine years and are based in Ardmore Studios. Our members have been involved in well over 1,000 productions. Over the past couple of years we have been involved in most of the major productions - Fair city, Camelot, Primeval, The Tudors, George Gently, The Last Furlong, etc etc.

I hope this puts your mind at ease.

Cheers
    Derek

Director

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Danny1980

My house is registered with them and has done quite a bit of jobs like Fair City, The Tudors etc. He said, it's long hours and lots of sitting around till it's your turn, but he said it's good fun. He enjoys it...!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tommydublin

Any1 else got feedback on Movie Extras??? DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Any1 else got feedback on Movie Extras??? DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY !!
    Wow, zombie thread

Are you asking for feedback AND telling us its a waste of money?

I still havent joined since, I got some jobs myself through open auditions. But my mate got a fair bit of work, and a lot more companies are exclusively getting their extras via MovieExtras.ie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 collymoore

hi guys.... like everyone at the minute i am a bit stuck for cash.. just wondering if people think it's worth joining the agency?

I think it's 90 euro for 12 months..

any 21 yo guys out there getting work with them??

cheers

c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

collymoore wrote: »
    hi guys.... like everyone at the minute i am a bit stuck for cash.. just wondering if people think it's worth joining the agency?

I think it's 90 euro for 12 months..

any 21 yo guys out there getting work with them??

cheers

c

It is NOT a job so to speak, so don't view it as a cash source. I've been with them for 18 months and got two calls (One was an audition, the other was a paid role). Was great fun but not a bread winner by a long shot. I've covered the cost of joining and thats how I'm currently looking at it. If it pays for itself, its worth doing.

To be fair to MovieExtras, there isn't a whole lot going on in Ireland at the moment with global cut backs etc. So that has to be factored in. I think a lot of people maybe feel that just because they paid, there are owed a gig or two. It doesn't work like that. While I think €90 is fairly excessive as a membership fee, one gig could land you €1000+ so it probably has better odds than the lottery :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement