Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phase 1 complete...

• 02-03-2007 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

OK, the first bit is done :) We've moved our existing servers out of Hosting365 and into Digiweb and rejigged our network a bit.

Phase 2 is bringing online the new hardware that we've bought, hopefully future proofing (for the next couple of months at least) boards.ie and allowing us to bring back some of the sorely missed features, such as searching and the archive. We'll commence this over the next week or so.

I'd like to once again take the chance to thank Hosting365 (thanks guys!) for the excellent support and help they've given us over the years. I'd also like to thank Digiweb (yay!) for allowing us to move to their new datacentre - this move will help us complete our expansion and hopefully keep boards.ie a nippy website!

Unfortunately, with every move and upgrade, there's going to be some hiccups - while things ought to be generally faster, we're bound to forget some items, or maybe screw up some other ones. If you spot anything broken, please let us know by posting here - we'll get on it ASAP.

Lastly, for the next day or so, there are going to be some DNS issues - it takes time for the internet to realise where 'www.boards.ie' now is - don't sweat these. They will fix themselves over the weekend.

Have a good weekend all, and thanks for being patient. The new improved boards.ie starts here!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Good man regi.

Cool, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Feedback won't know itself soon enough without the 'Can we have search back?' threads. :) Fair play to all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Congrats on a smooth move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

More feedback - we're finding a very strange bug with one of the webservers. One is acting just fine and speeding along - the other is going ape**** for some reason :)

We'll sort it out shortly, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Maybe it's homesick ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

www.boards.ie seems to be pointing to hosting 365 and not working(was ok earlier on eircon)

Luckily I had the new IP from a tracert

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Noel Walsh>tracert www.boards.ie

Tracing route to www.boards.ie [82.195.136.250]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 29 ms 5 ms 5 ms 192.168.1.254
    2 27 ms 24 ms 24 ms b-ras1.mvw.galway.eircom.net [159.134.155.25]
    3 18 ms 19 ms 30 ms ge15-2.coreb.mvw.galway.eircom.net [83.71.114.14
    5]
    4 33 ms 24 ms 21 ms 83.71.112.118
    5 56 ms 54 ms 47 ms border1.hosting365.ie [193.242.111.87]
    6 22 ms 24 ms 26 ms 82.195.143.3
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * *

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Any word on adverts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

spanner ftw

<removed bitchy comment>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Thanks a million Regi. Good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

phase 1: collect underpants.

phase 2: ???

phase 3: profit.

nice one lads seems to be going swimmingly so far **touches_wood**

Cremo wrote:
    **touches_wood**

Both hands where we can see them...

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

Hi, any word on adverts.ie? There's a PowerBook I really need to snap up, pronto :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

WWW not working for me, but cake and pie are fine - well they are if this posts correctly... yep theyre working!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭telemachus

The menu links at the top were randomly taking me to the (not yet up) adverts.ie but that seems to have cleared up just now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

fair play lads, well done.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

www.boards.ie working dandy for me from Malaysia!

DeV.

I'll look at restoring adverts.ie and everything else in a phased fashion over the weekend - thanks for the patience!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

good job guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All I know is that my hands are shaking....:eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

www.boards.ie seems to be pointing to hosting 365 and not working(was ok earlier on eircon)
    For everyone's reference:

www.boards.ie is working fine. If you're having a problem, it's your problem, not boards.ie's :)

Don't lose too much of your weekend regi. Have a beer or two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

This is exactly what Regi said would happen in first post.

SOME PEOPLE WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH www.boards.ie POINTING TO THE WRONG IP. THIS IS PART OF HOW DNS WORKS. NOBODY HERE CAN RE-WRITE THE INTERNET'S DNS SYSTEM AND THEN PROPOGATE THE CHANGES THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE INTERNET BEFORE THE WEEKEND IS OVER. So we'll just have to live with it I'm afraid.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Is the default vhost the main boards site?

If so can try: http://89.234.66.107/ - you'll probably need to login again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I had reduced the TTL's on alot of the records to 1800 before the move over so its possible that its the local DNS cache on your pc.
    If it is a windows based pc
    Click start, Click Run, Type, "ipconfig /flushdns" without the "s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Excellent :)

Its flying along for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Asok wrote:
    I had reduced the TTL's on alot of the records to 1800 before the move over so its possible that its the local DNS cache on your pc.
    If it is a windows based pc
    Click start, Click Run, Type, "ipconfig /flushdns" without the "s

Anyone else suffering fast-loading pages which then hang
    "Waiting (#insert number here) for connection to www.boards.ie", its images/icons avatars etc that won't appear.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

regi wrote:
    I'll look at restoring adverts.ie and everything else in a phased fashion over the weekend - thanks for the patience!

Weekend off

\o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Good luck with it, and well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Hmmm... my JS menu appears to have gone AWOL, other than that it's working fine

(but my subbed list is crrrrying!)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Nice to see things back up and running. Good job lads.

Now,
    am I the only one missing the drop down menus?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

mike65 wrote:
    Anyone else suffering fast-loading pages which then hang
    "Waiting (#insert number here) for connection to www.boards.ie", its images/icons avatars etc that won't appear.
    I'm using boards.ie instead of www.boards.ie, because of lingering DNS problems - I've temporarily added an entry to /etc/hosts to point www.boards.ie to the right IP address to get graphics working.

JS menus still missing here. I'm actually going to have to learn how to navigate boards using HTML...

Well done on the move, guys.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Great stuff lads, I've done the whole "moving sh1t loads of servers over a weekend" thing (twice!) and I know exactly how much bloody hard work it is and for those of you who aren't familiar with the procedues involved, the lads have got the site back up and running in warp speed.

Only thing is, I've become utterly dependant on the drop-downs for navigation :D

Thanks again lads, pints owed etc...

[edit]
    Big thanks also to hosting365 for their support over whatever length of time it was (I really can't remember how long we've been hosted there!) and to Digiweb for taking this monster on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hmmm... my JS menu appears to have gone AWOL, other than that it's working fine

(but my subbed list is crrrrying!)

Same here. You should be able to see your subbed list in your User CP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Menu gone here too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sites loading grand here. :) No menus appearing tho, but that seems to be a known fact!

Patience is all thats needed, and soon Boards will be back to its full potential!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Fantastic stuff lads, fair play!

Good to have it back. Now the only thing for me is to work out why firefox freezes every time I open a thread!

Very zippy indeed and no issues noticed so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think the timing of posts is a little off (or something else) whenever ye get around to poking with it again. Eg. Smushbush was the thread starter, not I. :)

I remember that happening before. I also noticed that I posted something today then edited it and the edited version appeared as a second post.

On a positive note, boards.ie has been blisteringly* fast for me since the move over. :)

* Must stop rubbing myself against it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Been rather erratic for me today, to the point of being frustrating sometimes. Every couple of requests will fail, but when it works its off like a shot. Seeing lots of "Connection to the server was reset" errors, and thats if I'm lucky. AJAX based stalls just sit there, empty gazed and drooling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Are we getting the old search back now?

Board tracker sucks more than a thai hooker!!!!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Ruu wrote:
    I think the timing of posts is a little off (or something else) whenever ye get around to poking with it again. Eg. Smushbush was the thread starter, not I. :)

**** though, that does make you look pretty cool, answered before asked, nice.

Not sure if it will be still be the case after I post this, but in the forum listing for the Feedback forum, it shows the last post on this thread as being Kenny 5's post at 23:20 despite daveym's being the last post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Aye its just a lil bit of a time synch issue. It will be fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

It's grand n all but can yiz hurry up with it ffs?

[runs for cover]

Joking!

What are we paying ye for lads? :)

Asok wrote:
    Aye its just a lil bit of a time synch issue. It will be fixed.

You're damn right it will Asok, damn right!!!

Now let me dress up as a tarantula and woo my turkish princess

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

[chief wiggum]Looking good boys, looking good.[/chief wiggum]

Eat poo Asok, we all know who she was after over there so there's no need to drag me into this!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement