Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Wireless Hub/ADSL Routers for €24.99 in PCWorld

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Has anyone managed to get this working with smart broadband ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Zwartsj

Got this working a treat with BT
    just for in case some one ells have to set this up for BT
    The Primary DNS Server is 192.111.39.1 and Secondary DNS Server 192.111.39.4
    Because I had a bit of trouble getting it out of the dumb ass working for BT support

One other bonus is you get a free €10 calling card in the box

and the guy in Harvey Norman in Blanch was to happy to take a random telephone number that does not exist and that does not pass the test o and im not 100% sure if the addy I gave him is a real one either

i got my router so im happy
    Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Does anybody know if this can be used as a 'wireless bridge' to say, connect an old xbox to an existing wireless network?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Do-more wrote:
    Try tellin' him that! His name was David, your welcome to go in and slap him in the face for me!:D

I may just do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

No! Thats wrong! You call eircom using the number quoted on the box. Not sign up in store.

That is totally correct.

Hj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Has anyone tried connecting one of these to an IBB Ripwave modem? If so, any success and how did you set it up? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.pcworld.ie/productDetails.aspx?productRID=1844&image=Wireless_Networking

Saw this on PCworld.ie for 49.99

Linksys 54 Modem Router & PCI card

:)

dingding wrote:
    http://www.pcworld.ie/productDetails.aspx?productRID=1844&image=Wireless_Networking

Saw this on PCworld.ie for 49.99

Linksys 54 Modem Router & PCI card

:)

The netopia has better wi-fi strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dgosul

Got the eircom wireless router but cant get it working.Had a wi-less router b4 but it stopped working. I have satelite BB.When i set up the eircom router it says wireless signal Excellent but when i open a web page it come up connection problems.I turned off firewall & security settings to see if it helped but no avail.Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I have mine runnning a while now and have decided to hook the ethernet cable back up to my mac as there were too many times when web pages were just left hanging with the wireless connection.This seems to have sorted out the problem.It was an intermittent problem,but very annoying and I can only think it was the wireless router.

Still using the wireless capabilities for my wii though.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I've had said routher for a few days now. No real problems at all. Still a fair few on the shelf in PC World Airside over the weekend.

Minor note. The throughput on the wireless connection is not as good as I hoped. About 5-10% less than my Linksys router. Anyone else notice this?

ambrose :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It may need a firmware upgrade , these along with the manuals are here

http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/2247w.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Sponge Bob wrote:
    It may need a firmware upgrade , these along with the manuals are here

http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/2247w.html

Thanks a million sponge Bob it works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Finally got one in PC World Liffey Valley this morning, quite a few on the shelf (rather than just empty boxes) no questions asked! ;)

Cheers Spongy!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

Does anyone know how to wirelessly bridge 2 of these routers? I am trying to temporarily extend my broadband to a neighbour's house and I have only so far succeeded in extending with a cable between the routers. I cannot run a cable to the neighbour's! Please help!

put both in AD HOC mode ( instead of the default which is INFRASTRUCTURE mode) , and they should talk to each other as a point to point network , you must then use cables at both ends to connect computers to them .

make sure you RTFM linked a few posts back

I could find no 'Ad-Hoc' or 'Infrastructure' options in the router's configuration. The manual makes no mention of this either. Am I missing something here? From reading other forums it seems extending your wireless network with 2 routers can usually only be done by connecting the routers with cable on their LAN ports. The exceptions seem to be the Belkin routers and the Linksys WRT54G. Has anyone succeeded in using a second Netopia as an access point without using cat5 to connect it back to the first?

latest firmware manual

http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/SoftwareUserGuideV761-Clsc.pdf

see page 109 and wireless bridging but see note on Vlan just before it too.

You are right though. Normally a wireless device will work in infrastructure OR ad hoc mode , I can find no mention of the terminology in that manual .

You may have to create a single VLAN spanning both sides of the bridge with the DHCP server on the side that is connected to the net (your or the neighbour) , I would need to faff around witha pair of them to figure this one out.

You may not need the VLAN at all , simply bridging, but the one DHCP server would be most wise so disable dhcp on the netopia not connected to adsl and enable it on the one connected to adsl

Thanks for the link Sponge Bob! It would seem that it is not possible to wirelessly bridge 2 Netopia routers for the purpose I had in mind. Pity. It would have been nice to bounce a broadband connection across the street and back again to a house which was not directly in range of mine. Kinda like a mesh network of sorts. I suppose there is other equipment to do this, but would have been nice with a 25 euro router!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Has anyone tried connecting one of these to an IBB Ripwave modem? If so, any success and how did you set it up? Thanks.
    I would also like to know if this is possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

tried to get one in 3G, Dundrum today but they woudln't budge. Are the ONLY places you can get these Dixons, Currys, PC World and 3G? Anywhere southside with them in stock who don't ask questions?:o

cormie wrote:
    tried to get one in 3G, Dundrum today but they woudln't budge. Are the ONLY places you can get these Dixons, Currys, PC World and 3G? Anywhere southside with them in stock who don't ask questions?:o

Just go to PC World in Liffey Valley. I got mine there no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Anyone get one of these in the last couple of days? Been ringing around but no one seems to have them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

flanzer wrote:
    Anyone get one of these in the last couple of days? Been ringing around but no one seems to have them

Got one in Currys in Limerick last night. Asked in PC World first but they were out of them and kind enough to send me to Currys. Curry's said they needed my phone number to check if the line was compatible but I told them I'd already done the test online myself and it was. They didn't seem too happy about that but decided not to press the issue :D

Thanks Spongebob!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

trap4 wrote:
    Got one in Currys in Limerick last night

Sorry, Meant to say Dublin area

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭hansov

As the lastangryman said....
    I got mine in PCWorld Liffey Valley at 5 pm yesterday evening. At that stage there were about eight boxes left. No questions asked or answers given :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I just got one in Dixons in Pavillions Swords - they have Plenty left.
    The guy made me do a line check before buying but no other probs.
    I thought it might show up that I had Eircom BB already but it didn't :D

Well worth 24.99 IMO

Cheers OP

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Got just got this home - real simple to use if ya have Eircom BB already
    no set up needed. Plug out old modem - plug in new one.

And If anyone is looking for one in Dublin Northside Harvey Norman in Airside have about 100:eek:

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cyborg

BrendanD wrote:
    Has anyone managed to get this working with smart broadband ?

smart BB anyone?

PS. still available in Currys Limerick -no questions asked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

What is the range, signal stregnth like?

Are there any left in 3g or PC World in Blanch?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement