Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clearwire to aquire IBB

Options
  • 26-12-2006 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Read this in the Business & Money section of the Sunday Times (Decmeber 24th 2006). Seems that Clearwire are poised to aquire IBB, negotiations are ongoing & the sale is expected to be concluded in early Febuary.

Good news or not for IBB customers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 vermont

Well it's not exactly a lovely purchase for Clearwire; they'll be taking on IBB's big debt and will probably have to offload at least half its staff. NTR can't wait to see the back of IBB...

Don't really see how customers would be adversely affected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

They could put in place their traffic shaping policies from clearwire.....fun for the IBB subs

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

That would seem to be bad news as again it will lessen competion in the bb area not alone by removing one provider but Clearwires policies do not suit a lot of users so it will reduce the wireless options available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

Asok wrote:
    They could put in place their traffic shaping policies from clearwire..

what does this mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Well clearwire tend to "Throttle" most p2p type applications and occasionally voip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I've heard from two sources that it's a done deal but one always needs a third to be sure it is legit. They have a good enough customer base and it might be good for the majority of customers who don't use the service for p2p. For the bittorrent users though, start moving to Digiweb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This will make clearwire the number 3 isp overnight in terms of customers, maybe number 2 after eircom AND bigger than BT.

It will do nothing for competition or service. Its bye bye breeze residential I would think and especially bye bye ripwave as they need the spectrum

IBB have been for sale for quite a while now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Does Ripwave really have that many subscribers sponge bob ? That is a lot of people suffering with always on 56k!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

ah crap i dont want this to happen! im on ibb breeze 3mb and i dont see this as being a good move... clearwire will block all my p2p and make gaming and voip crap by traffic shaping... and ive just discovered zudeo(new software by azureus for downloading legal videos,all bbc tv shows are on it and lots of ads in hd.. example i downloaded the hd gears of war ad... looks pretty dam cool in hd!).

Hopefully this deal dosent go through because ibb are doing pretty good on their own now,perfect service, great customer service(i had a problem on a thursday they sent some1 on friday).... clearwire will obviously do stupid things like enforce download caps or traffic shape.......

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭cmdrpaddy

If IBB start traffic shaping I'm pretty screwed. I've had my IBB connection for 3 years now and they recently upgraded the hardware and the connection speed from 0.5MB to 2MB and I've been downloading like a fiend (in the last 2 months my up+down total is over a terabyte). I'd be very disappointed if they started traffic shaping.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Asok wrote:
    Well clearwire tend to "Throttle" most p2p type applications and occasionally voip.

This is a big concern, IBB have business customers who will not like any form of traffic shaping,port blocking or caps. Depends on whether Clearwire want to keep it "as is" or decides to impose new rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

If they start enforcing caps and screw with torrents they can wave this customer goodbye

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

How can Clearwire afford to do this? Aren't the haemorrhaging customers (good enough for them, with their piece of sh*t service!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

eth0_ wrote:
    How can Clearwire afford to do this? Aren't the haemorrhaging customers (good enough for them, with their piece of sh*t service!)?

It goes something like this.

Block every port possible.

Save a fortune on transit costs.

Use savings to purchase IBB.

Block every port possible

Save a fortune on transit costs.

Rinse wash repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Maybe they are already as im still getting low speeds with torrents!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

HAHA - Now im glad they disconnected me :p

Maybe they are already as im still getting low speeds with torrents!

It looks like they have definitley started trialing something.

HAHA - Now im glad they disconnected me :p
    Why did they disconnect you?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

hmmm, well if the deal hasnt gone through yet, they legally cant start messing around with the network.

antodeco wrote:
    hmmm, well if the deal hasnt gone through yet, they legally cant start messing around with the network.

IBB can mess around with the network all they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

ntlbell wrote:
    Why did they disconnect you?

Well after 18months and 2Tb later my connection misteriously vanished and they promptly (next day) came out to "fix it" but no joy so took it away. Installer said it was strange but did hear they were disconnecting the heavy downloaders but he wouldnt know who they were. Ah well - Lets see what UTV do :p

Well after 18months and 2Tb later my connection misteriously vanished and they promptly (next day) came out to "fix it" but no joy so took it away. Installer said it was strange but did hear they were disconnecting the heavy downloaders but he wouldnt know who they were. Ah well - Lets see what UTV do :p

Haha classic.

No contracts hassel free is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I see IBB offer DSL now too.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

ntlbell wrote:
    IBB can mess around with the network all they like.

Apologies, I thought they meant Clearwire messing around with IBB's network!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

antodeco wrote:

I'd be real interested in what Clearwire will do after they aquire IBB (assuming the deal goes through). I don't think they'd get away with changing terms & conditions (i.e., introduce caps, block ports, etc) yet still charge the same for the service.

IBB's service works OK (mostly), so Clearwire saying service degredation is due problems associated with the merger just won't cut it. You can't expect customers who signed up for 12 month contracts to stick around if the goalposts have been moved.

Same goes for early exit penalties, can these be enforced if the T's & C's have been radically altered?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

gerryo wrote:
    I'd be real interested in what Clearwire will do after they aquire IBB (assuming the deal goes through). I don't think they'd get away with changing terms & conditions (i.e., introduce caps, block ports, etc) yet still charge the same for the service.

IBB's service works OK (mostly), so Clearwire saying service degredation is due problems associated with the merger just won't cut it. You can't expect customers who signed up for 12 month contracts to stick around if the goalposts have been moved.

Same goes for early exit penalties, can these be enforced if the T's & C's have been radically altered?

Nope,as that is not what you signed up for.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

You guys really need to stop saying stuff is "illegal" left, right and center.

Is there a clause in the contract saying that no traffic shaping will occur? The last time I checked, no such clause existed. Same goes for the cap, I don't recall "unlimited trafficking" being part of the actual contract.

CuLT wrote:
    You guys really need to stop saying stuff is "illegal" left, right and center.

Is there a clause in the contract saying that no traffic shaping will occur? The last time I checked, no such clause existed. Same goes for the cap, I don't recall "unlimited trafficking" being part of the actual contract.

I didn't even know IBB customers were tied into any sort of contract at all?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

ntlbell wrote:
    I didn't even know IBB customers were tied into any sort of contract at all?
    I know I signed one when I had IBB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

CuLT wrote:
    I know I signed one when I had IBB.
    Pretty sure we did too.

Advertisement