Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Wireless Hub/ADSL Routers for €24.99 in PCWorld

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

Does anyone know if these badged versions have the IP-Sec featureset built into them?

Cormac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

championc wrote:
    Does anyone know if these badged versions have the IP-Sec featureset built into them?

Cormac

Click here and scroll down: http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/2247w.html :)

I saw that and this is why I asked the question because it is an expensive optional upgrade on the 3347 and sometimes, while sometimes something will simply look rebadged, certain features will be ommitted in the end product. Lets face it, standard Eircom (or other ISP) users won't have any need for IP-Sec.

Therefore, anyone who has one of these, can they please tell me if IP-Sec is an option within the Security section of the router menu.

Cormac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

run a soft vpn through it like cisco vpn client , works with any adsl modem or try a linksys wrt54g behind it with dd-wrt os on it and put the netopia in bridging mode

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DD-WRT

and

http://www.geek-pages.com/articles/latest/openvpn_server_and_client_on_dd-wrt.html

but you have a very full featured adsl router simply doing bridging :D

A soft VPN with the likes of the Cisco or Checkpoint VPN clients is OK if you just want to connect a laptop maybe. However, I want to be able to do a permanent router to router IP-Sec so that I caould run an IP Phone at home if I wanted.

Cormac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

mcdonnst wrote:
    can anyone else confirm this will work on metro.
    Im not interested in stupid answers

It's been my experience that ADSL wireless routers do not operate the same as a wireless/non ADSL router. i.e. they wont route the internet through a lan connection. You may be able to get it working though provided...

a) your Metro box can be given a lan address as well as WAN (e.g. it has a dhcp service )

b) you add a routing instruction to pc's to route all non-local traffic via said ip-address.

championc wrote:
    A soft VPN with the likes of the Cisco or Checkpoint VPN clients is OK if you just want to connect a laptop maybe. However, I want to be able to do a permanent router to router IP-Sec so that I caould run an IP Phone at home if I wanted.

Lots of variables :confused::confused: and you can easily run an IP phone without a nailed up VPN , the biggest variable is your uplink speed and 128k is a bit anorexic for all of a nailed up vpn and voip outside that and the other other stuff too.

Have you tried exploring these variables in the VoIp forum maybe ?!?!?

I respect the advise that you are giving me. However, I am not revealing my reasons completely for wanting to specifically use IP-Sec tunnels to make connections from router to router

Therefore, can someone please confirm:-

"Does the Eircom version of the Netopia 2247 have the IP-Sec functionality within its firmware" ???

Cormac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭digiman

Does anyone know if this would work with the Clearwire 2MB package?

So where did you guys get the routers? I have tried two Harvey Normans (Nutgrove and Airside) and both collared me to sign up for a 6 month contract. I tried PC World in Carrickmines but their boxes on the display are empty so that's obviously how they collar you.

Cormac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

championc wrote:
    So where did you guys get the routers? I have tried two Harvey Normans (Nutgrove and Airside) and both collared me to sign up for a 6 month contract. I tried PC World in Carrickmines but their boxes on the display are empty so that's obviously how they collar you.

Cormac
    There were three yesterday in Liffey Valley in the bright orange boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

any of these left???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭paconnors

as it sais in title

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Bargain, just went out and bought one in Sligo, they've loads of them there. Thank you OP!

Slurms wrote:
    It prolly is. You see, it's actually the Eircom BB package you're buying and the modem is free. Technically they're only supposed to sell it to potential Eircom customers, or at least that's what the sales dude told me.

LOL, when I went to the counter to pay for it, the snotty sales assistant said "You have to ring eir....." ... Before she had a chance to say any more I just smiled and said "I'm only after it for the router" oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Was just in the new PC World in cork - They have plenty of them there.

Guys,
    I bought this with the intention of just using it as a wireless AP.. can this be done?

I have broadband with BT. The BT router (Single ethernet) is connected to a hub which connects to the other PC's

So, I connected the router to the hub, and set up the wireless. The wireless is fine, but I can't get a connection to the net... Anyone got any idea how i go about this?

Yah! Scads in galway today .

Its in PLACE of the BT router (xyzel) , box that :D

to get it working with BT go into the expert settings and on one screen is the pppoe settings (maybe its wan settings and pppoe selected on top)

there is a username and password in there like eircom@eircom.net

change the username and password to (in full not just left of the @) punter@btbb and the bt password

if you still have a problem add a BT dns delow username and password like 194.125.2.240 or 194.125.2.241 for luck

To confuse matters a tad the admin username and password for the netopia is the same as the initial eircom pppoe username and password but you will leave that alone (its on a different screen to the ppoe settings)

thats the only difference between eircom and bt settings, the username and password (and maybe dns needs a hand)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

JohnCleary wrote:
    Guys,
    I bought this with the intention of just using it as a wireless AP.. can this be done?

I have broadband with BT. The BT router (Single ethernet) is connected to a hub which connects to the other PC's

So, I connected the router to the hub, and set up the wireless. The wireless is fine, but I can't get a connection to the net... Anyone got any idea how i go about this?
    Replace the BT Zyxel with the new Netopia and enter your BT user/pass into the Netopia settings. If you haven't enough ethernet ports on the Netopia for all your wired PC's, connect the hub to one of it's ports.

Cheers guys, thought it was as simple as replacing the Netopia with the Zxydel and changing connection settings, but thought id check with the experts first ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Picked up 6 in PC World today. Absolute bargain.:)
    Thanks Sponge.

• Advertisement

PC World have 2 packs or 2 pack variants for sale . Timed and Always on.

It matters not which you buy (not at €25 a pop :p) but if you buy the Timed BB one there is one other setting to change on the page where you enter the username and password so that it becomes an always on version. I think this offer may end tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What's with all the folk buying 6+? lol Ebay??

I don't suppose there is a wireless receiver for a laptop slot included in this price? Any idea of where to get similar bargains for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Got one this morning in the PC World here in Limerick , about 6 left there , plus maybe 6 of the "time" ones aswell .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Why would you pay for one of these ?
    Surely your broadband provider will supply you with one :confused: ?

I have had landline broadband with BT for a couple of years - phone cable into modem and USB connection from modem to desktop PC.

We bought a laptop with network card so decided to install wireless LAN. I phoned BT & received one FOC 2 days later.

I did have to buy a wireless network card for the desktop PC cos the new modem/hub didn't have USB.

TarfHead wrote:
    Why would you pay for one of these ?
    Surely your broadband provider will supply you with one :confused: ?

I have had landline broadband with BT for a couple of years - phone cable into modem and USB connection from modem to desktop PC.

We bought a laptop with network card so decided to install wireless LAN. I phoned BT & received one FOC 2 days later.

I did have to buy a wireless network card for the desktop PC cos the new modem/hub didn't have USB.

It can be used as a wireless router. Check eBay for wireless routers, theyre a lot more expensive than 20euro ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

JohnCleary wrote:
    It can be used as a wireless router. Check eBay for wireless routers, theyre a lot more expensive than 20euro ;)

Confirm that, it's a great deal!

Thanks to Spongebob for letting us all know about it.

Anybody tried to update the FW yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

gerryo wrote:
    Anybody tried to update the FW yet?

I updated one for a friend to F.04 but saw no real difference. Still had eircon logo on the setup screens. Easy to do though & no doubt sorts out some (unknown to me) bugs.

It's a nice little unit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

JohnCleary wrote:

So too was the one I received from BT - FREE

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Loadedscream

TarfHead wrote:
    So too was the one I received from BT - FREE

I asked them for one and they told me €40 ex VAT you sure it was free...i'd wait until i got my next bill if i was you!!

• Advertisement

I asked them for one and they told me €40 ex VAT you sure it was free...i'd wait until i got my next bill if i was you!!

And his next bill after that as well o loud one :D

From the BT T&Cs

http://home.btireland.ie/echannel/BTres.portal?_pageLabel=btres_page&_nfpb=true&homePage_actionOverride=%2Fpageflows%2Fhomepage%2FshowBroadbandTotalPage&_windowLabel=homePage#
    2.3 The modem and microfilters provided by BT to the Customer for the Customer’s use in connection with any Broadband or Broadband & Total Talk service shall at all times remain the property of BT and the Customer shall be liable for any damage caused to the Equipment, however the Customer will not be liable for fair wear and tear. Upon termination for any reason, you will be responsible for returning the modem and micro filters back to BT at such address as BT may advise at your expense. Failure to return the modem and micro filters within 7 days of the effective date of termination shall result in BT debiting €150 from your Bank Account/Credit Card for the BT Equipment and you hereby expressly consent to such debit. If a Customer upgrades from a wired Broadband or Broadband & Total Talk service to a wireless Broadband or Broadband & Total Talk service, the Customer is responsible for returning the modem and micro filters in respect of the wired Broadband or Broadband & Total Talk service within 21 days of the date of application for the upgrade to such address as BT may advise at your expense. Failure to return the modem and micro filters within the 21 day period shall result in BT debiting €50 from your Bank Account/Credit Card for the BT Equipment and you hereby expressly consent to such debit.

So send it back or the upgrade will cost you 1x €40+Vat and 1x €50 which would have bought you 4 Netopias including one for the cat to scratch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement