Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is your VoIP setup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mickymc

Just read your post and its very interesting.
    What willi need if i need to go voip totally..
    I have Eircom Broadband netopia router and a laptop.
    Will i be able toget an adapter to plug directly into my router or is this the way it works..../

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mickymc

Just read your post and its very interesting.
    What willi need if i need to go voip totally..
    I have Eircom Broadband netopia router and a laptop.
    Will i be able toget an adapter to plug directly into router..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

My Service Providers:
    VoIP provider - blueface.ie : Ireland / UK package

BB provider - NTL

My Hardware Setup:

Netgear ATA, DECT Phones, conventional Eircom phone.

My Review:

I cannot fault either NTL or Blueface. Both services excellent. Some slight teething problems with Blueface which were resolved by them ultra-fast. Defo recommend both Blueface and NTL.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

NTL 1MB
    Blueface
    Netgear ATA/Router
    Standard Dect phones
    Netgear Wireless Router

I'm having some teething problems myself. Happens mainly at peak times so I suspect thats its contention issue in my area, haven't got to the bottom of it yet. Sometimes browsing the web effects it, sometimes not. I wonder would I get better results with more upstream on the NTL 2mb. Support has been ok, little slow, but I can appreciate they are probably busy with the take up of their recent offers. Tried some tweaks and some work some don't. NTL has always been a little weak in my area but phone line fails broadband test. IBB is too unreliable in my area aswell. So I've no other option.

QOS doesn't have much effect on my problems either. Other codec's don't either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wal3er

VoIP provider:skype

BB provider :eircom
    on laptop : xp pro with h500 motrola bluetooth headset(bluetooth headset+ software http://www.skypeheadset.co.uk/ 70eur)
    on pc : mce 5 xp voip phone (19 Eur;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Thought I'd update my set up.

NTL BB MAX for Broadband
    Blueface for VOIP provider
    Linksys WRT54GP2 Router/ATA/3 port switch.

NTL 1MB
    Blueface
    Netgear ATA/Router
    Standard Dect phones
    Netgear Wireless Router

Now NTL 2MB, and my VOIP is ok (touch wood). I think my upstream was the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭soSolid

Costs:
    Blueface Freedom Basic: e10/month
    NTL 3Mb b/b: 39.99/month

Setup:
    ntl --> cisco 831 --> LAN (2 XP Media Centres, 1 XP Pro, XBox, 2 Cisco 7960 IP Phones)

Using Devolo MicroLink dLAN Highspeed Ethernet adaptors (85Mbps over powerlines).

As soon as my porting application comes through, I have a Cisco ATA188 waiting in the wings for my dect phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

NTL 3Mb Broadband
    Blueface Ireland/UK
    Linksys WRT54GP2 Router

Working like a dream. No problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭custom900

IBB 1mb wireless + Blueface Irl/UK, Linksys wireless WRT54GP2 combined router/ata, and standard analogue speakerphone.
    Very happy with the results, wife can talk on it all feckin day for free, now I can finally tell Eirscam to fu.....well, you know what I mean!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AlanMcMillan

custom900 wrote:
    IBB 1mb wireless + Blueface Irl/UK, Linksys wireless WRT54GP2 combined router/ata, and standard analogue speakerphone.
    Very happy with the results, wife can talk on it all feckin day for free, now I can finally tell Eirscam to fu.....well, you know what I mean!

Hi,

I have a similar set up to you,except I have a Netgear AT612V, is there anything specific I need to do so I can get Blueface to work properly with IBB? At the moment my head is melted trying to get it to work.
    Thanks,
    Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

I guess I am the only one here using Asterisk ?
    I got an old Linux computer running Asterisk, with several Grandstream GPX 2000 VoIP phone's around the house :-)
    Pretty neat , don't have to shout up the stairs just call the right extension!
    Lot's of fun to be had with voice prompt's for incoming callers too!
    You can get custom voice prompt's for it :-)

Have it connected to the POTS line for now, not picked a VoIP gateway as of yet.

Asterisk can handle Voicemail, call forwarding, SMS's, multiple phone line's, etc , etc. So you don't need to pay for any of these service's , you just need a simple VoIP gateway. And know how to use Linux ( a little!) .
    Once setup , you can access your Asterisk server from anywhere in the world.
    Cost: Asterisk = free! Linux = free, Old junk computer = free , GrandstreamGPX 2000 phone's (really nice phone) about 120 euro or so.
    Card to connect to phone line = varies depend's on what you want to do.

Asterisk : http://www.asterisk.org/

Easier to use, Asterisk@home : http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/

Grandstream 2000 GPX : http://www.grandstream.com/y-gxp2000.htm

Cheap adaptor to get on the net and PSTN : http://www.italk.ie/productcategory.php

Expensive one (but awesome fun!) : http://www.digium.com/en/products/hardware/tdm400p.php

This kit for small bean's will replace expensive advanced PBX's :-)

Hi,

I have a similar set up to you,except I have a Netgear AT612V, is there anything specific I need to do so I can get Blueface to work properly with IBB? At the moment my head is melted trying to get it to work.
    Thanks,
    Alan

Hi Alan, as far as I know if your router didnt come from Blueface you'll have to configure it for their system. A neighbour of mine did this for me, I'll ask him and get back to you

Alan, sorry I didnt get back sooner but I havent seen my neighbour yet. However you should log in to blueface .ie, click help-technical info-netgear configuration and the codes you need are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

My Service Providers:
    VoIP provider - FREESPEECH.ie with an 01 number
    BB provider - NTL:3000/300

My Hardware Setup:
    cable modem > Vigor wireless router with phone port built in > Panasonic DECT phone

My Running Costs:
    After the initial outlay for hardware, my running costs are:
    €30 pm - ntl bb
    'FREE' pm - FREESPEECH subscription (19.99 is effectively a top-up for calls)

My Review:
    As for value - Excellent. I don't regret cancelling my pstn line and switching over totally to VoIP for all of my calls. I had to get a new 01 number but I was able to get a 'nice, easy to remember one'. Quality is more than adequate, not overjoyed with NTL's advertised 3000/300 more like 1300/256 but it seems to work OK. Of course, now I'm telling anybody who will listen.

I've placed landline calls to Ireland, USA and Oz - never a problem with quality (bar the odd one due to the bit of delay to Oz).

My ntl connection has been always on - no problems.
    I'm only 6 weeks into total VoIP (24/7) and so far so good:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ecallan

I have DSL Broadband and no VOIP as yet.

Is there any device out there that will allow me to connect my VOIP account via the router to the PSTN phones in the house and allow the PSTN phones to answer both analogue calls and VOIP calls? Ideally I'd like to have the choice of PSTN or VOIP when dialling out on the PSTN phones. Also, I don't want to have to leave the PC on (energy conscious). Am I asking for too much?

Eugene

What calls will be on the PSTN only? Your Eircom line? Why keep that AND use VOIP? :confused: For VOIP calls you want a Router/ATA device.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ecallan

What calls will be on the PSTN only? Your Eircom line? Why keep that AND use VOIP? :confused: For VOIP calls you want a Router/ATA device.

It is more case of being able to receive calls on my regular phone number which is known to everyone. I saw one duel phone but the PC has to be on. I want to leave the computer off. My understanding is that my pstn phone number cannot be ported to the skype or blueface number as it is also the DSL line. Any help appreciated.

Eugene

With a Router/ATA you don't need the PC on for VOIP calls. You use a normal PSTN phone with it. I use my existing DECT radio phones. My understanding is that you can divert incoming Blueface VOIP calls to a landline/mobile. best to ask Blueface sales guys though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

Ecallan wrote:
    It is more case of being able to receive calls on my regular phone number which is known to everyone. I saw one duel phone but the PC has to be on. I want to leave the computer off. My understanding is that my pstn phone number cannot be ported to the skype or blueface number as it is also the DSL line. Any help appreciated.

Eugene
    There are adapters that can handle a PSTN line as well as connect to a VoIP network that will let you use one phone to both receive incoming calls from the PSTN and make outbound calls using VoIP.

Examples of such adapters are:

- Handytone 488 (or 386, soory can't remember exact model),
    - Sipura 3000,
    - BeWAN BlueBox.

Aaron

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Ecallan wrote:
    I have DSL Broadband and no VOIP as yet.

Is there any device out there that will allow me to connect my VOIP account via the router to the PSTN phones in the house and allow the PSTN phones to answer both analogue calls and VOIP calls? Ideally I'd like to have the choice of PSTN or VOIP when dialling out on the PSTN phones. Also, I don't want to have to leave the PC on (energy conscious). Am I asking for too much?

Eugene

If you have eircom ADSL you might like to know that the connectivity to sip.blueface.ie is often diabolical. I had 17% packet loss last night. It was unusable. I think BT Ireland routes a different way and it's better with them. Any INEX connected provider or indeed much anything in the UK will fare better from Eircom.

Unless you're doing VoIP over DSL to get more phone numbers, you will not save anything over Telestunt. See my thread on Telestunt's new CPS service as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Recently moved so I've changed from BT Business to NTL Cable and also changed my VoIP setup accordingly

My Service Providers:
    VoIP provider - blueface.ie :PAYG (so handy having 076 #)
    NTL 3MB Cable

My Hardware Setup:
    Cable Modem > Linksys PAP2 VoIP/RT31P2 Router > standard Phone
    routerandcablemodem4ni.th.jpg

My Running Costs:
    After forking out for the Linksys router (€145) the costs are the following
    - NTL Cable €29.99 Per Month (3 months free)
    - VoIP Package: not using it awhole lot yet

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

I just completed my VoIP setup today.

My Service Providers:
    VoIP provider - Blueface
    Permanet wireless (1.5Mb/s down, 512kb/s up)

My Hardware Setup:
    Permanet "cable" modem > Netgear TA612V router > BT DECT phone

My Running Costs:
    - Permanet: €42.34 per month (not cheap but my only choice)
    - VoIP Package: Freedom Basic - €9.99 p/m

I've been using the Netgear router for about 6 months as my main router for the LAN, connected to a hub to feed 3 computers and a wireless LAN access point. Despite what some are saying about the router I've had no problems at all, it does everything just fine. Initially I did have trouble with the VoIP settings but changing the RTP port solved that.

Bye bye Eircom! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Have been looking into the VOIP thing recently. Have friends and family all over the place and have always looked for a cheaper way of keeping in touch that is better than emails.

Have BT BB 3MB

I'm going to just try Skype and a cheap USB phone to check what the quality etc is like. I don't think it should be too bad as I'm within a mile of the exchange and speeds are generally very good.

Assuming that everything works out well, I'm then thinking of getting one of these adaptors so I don't have to leave the pc or laptop on.

Am getting a few cheap USB phones off ebay and will make Christmas presents of them to family abroad. ;)

Can anyone foresee any problems with my plans?

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

kleefarr wrote:
    Have been looking into the VOIP thing recently. Have friends and family all over the place and have always looked for a cheaper way of keeping in touch that is better than emails.

Have BT BB 3MB

I'm going to just try Skype and a cheap USB phone to check what the quality etc is like. I don't think it should be too bad as I'm within a mile of the exchange and speeds are generally very good.

Assuming that everything works out well, I'm then thinking of getting one of these adaptors so I don't have to leave the pc or laptop on.

Am getting a few cheap USB phones off ebay and will make Christmas presents of them to family abroad. ;)

Can anyone foresee any problems with my plans?
    You won't be doing your friends/family any favours by getting them USB phones - they'll have to have the computer on to use them, and if the computer is on anyway, a headset is much more comfortable - you don't have to hold it up to your ear, and you have both hands free to play solitaire while you're tethered to the PC anyway.

And check out some of the real VoIP solutions, such as those offered by voipcheap.com and other providers. Free calls to real phones throughout europe and other parts of the world (not just those in the US that Skype gives) and get an inbound number (so that people who don't have a computer can call you!) for a one off fee of €1 instead of paying €30 a year!!!!!!

Foxwood wrote:
    You won't be doing your friends/family any favours by getting them USB phones - they'll have to have the computer on to use them, and if the computer is on anyway, a headset is much more comfortable - you don't have to hold it up to your ear, and you have both hands free to play solitaire while you're tethered to the PC anyway.

Not sure if the grandparents would take to it using a headset and until I persuade them to go the wireless voip set up I don't suppose a USB phone would hurt.
    Foxwood wrote:
    And check out some of the real VoIP solutions, such as those offered by voipcheap.com and other providers. Free calls to real phones throughout europe and other parts of the world (not just those in the US that Skype gives) and get an inbound number (so that people who don't have a computer can call you!) for a one off fee of €1 instead of paying €30 a year!!!!!!

Had a look at the voipcheap site, WOW! I thought Skype was good value.
    So once you buy credit you can call the listed FREE countries free for ninety days? Blooming great! Do you know how much the minimum credit is?

The voipin number, couldn't find anything about one off fee of €1 just this..

"How much does it cost for someone to ring my Voip-in number?
    This depends on where the other person is calling from and which telephone provider they use. The call should be charged at normal geographic rate (and if ringing from abroad a normal international call to your country) so the caller should check with their own telephone provider how much they charge for normal calls to landlines."

Is the voipcheap system still as adaptable later on for wireless SIP and stuff?

Mods - Please feel free to seperate this to a new thread if you possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

kleefarr wrote:
    Had a look at the voipcheap site, WOW! I thought Skype was good value.
    So once you buy credit you can call the listed FREE countries free for ninety days? Blooming great! Do you know how much the minimum credit is?
    €10 plus German VAT of 16% (€11.60). Payable by credit card or Paypal. Note that you only get 5 hours of free calls per 7 days, but that's still a great deal.
    The voipin number, couldn't find anything about one off fee of €1 just this..
    When you are logged in to the website, you get an option to buy a "VoIP In" Phone number for €1.
    "How much does it cost for someone to ring my Voip-in number?
    This depends on where the other person is calling from and which telephone provider they use. The call should be charged at normal geographic rate (and if ringing from abroad a normal international call to your country) so the caller should check with their own telephone provider how much they charge for normal calls to landlines."
    It's just an ordinary Dublin number - it costs exactly the same to call it as it does to call any other Dublin number. It doesn't cost you anything to receive the call.

One of the other neat features of the voipstunt/voipcheap/voipbuster service (they're all provided by the same company) is the call-back service. For 5c, you enter your own phone number, and the number of the person you want to call, and you get to use a phone to phone connection. Which is handy if, for example, your mother in Sligo wants to talk to your cousin in Australia - put your mothers number in, and her phone will ring, and when she picks up, the phone in Australia will start to ring. She doesn't need broadband, but leave your VoipCheap session logged in or the call may disconnect.
    Is the voipcheap system still as adaptable later on for wireless SIP and stuff?
    It's a 100% industry standard SIP service. I'm using it with a grandstream handset at the moment, so I can make calls even when the computer is turned off.

That's great Foxwood!

Thanks for the info.
    Not sure what use a Dublin number will be to me, but the rest looks fantastic. Will be up and running soon I think. :)

Cheers,

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 47 5ftGiant

My Service Providers:
    VoIP provider - blueface : PAYG
    BB provider - Dodgiweb Metro 3MB (512 up) x 2

My Hardware Setup:
    I have 5 setups -

Digiweb Metro Connection No.1 > Netgear WGR613 ATA > dect handset
    Digiweb Metro Connection No.1 > WGR613 Router Mode > Polycom IP300

Digiweb Metro Connection No.2 > Netgear WGR613 ATA > dect handset
    Digiweb Metro Connection No.2 > WGR613 Router Mode > Polycom IP300

Digiweb Metro Connection No.1 > PC connected wirelessly to router and bridges the ethernet port to give an IP address to the Polycom IP300

My Review:

Apologies for the rant, but i gotta get this out!

Connection No.1's modem is in the basement while im on the 4th floor, so i had to connect my PC wireless via a 108Mbps router. Works a treat. I could then connect an IP phone to the ethernet socket on my pc and bridge it so that it can obtain an ip address from the router, and then forward particular ports to the phone. This setup ran excellent, considering my conversations were travelling wireless through 4 floors, it was crystal clear. But i ended up sharing the connection and decided to get a dedicated 2nd Metro connection, exact same packge. This modem would be on the 4th floor so happy days, a direct connection to the modem and i could use an ATA/router. Wrong........

The 1st month on the 2nd connection was peachy and then it all just decided to give up. Bandwidth speeds had dramatically reduced and tests revealed they were suffering from contention issues. So i switched back to the insane 4 floors wireless setup and it was perfect... now these antennae are sitting right beside each other on the roof...whats going on there like??

The reason i have 5 setups to to show the different combinations i have got working and no matter what i do, connection 2 on my own floor is just unusable for Voip/streaming/downloading even bloody looking at youtube!!

I have rasied this with Digiweb numberous times, have had an ""engineer"" (!) out and told me "eh, its fine". I have a brother and 3 different friends all running off the 3rock mast who are having the EXACT same problem. Digiweb are in now in denial and have resulted in ignoring all issues raised with them.

So im back on the old wireless setup and am a day away from telling Dodgiweb to go f*** themselves and get the 3MB IBB breeze connection in, cant wait :)

Conclusion:
    Dodgiweb - Yes from my experiences i now refer to them as Dodgiweb. Ridiculous effort of a broadband provider and customer services. Once upon a time they were good, but thats long gone. Until they get their act together stay well away.

Blueface - Excellent. Because of my misfortunes i had to postpone my subscrition with Blueface and stay on a PAYG account until i get the new BB in. Customer service excellent. although have neededa bit of support at times the responses have been dealth with professionally and amazingly fast!! Recommend them to anyone (except if they are with Dodgiweb ;) )

Dodgiweb - €35 per mth (IBB will be around €46 but no BW cap and 3MB up)
    Blueface - freedom world €25 per mth (PAYG at present)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Heidy

causal wrote:
    I don't want to spam the new VoIP forum with loads of threads :o , but I thought it might be interesting and informative if people who are already VoIP users post up some details about their VoIP setup and what they think of it.

My Service Providers:
    VoIP provider - blueface.ie :Freedom Basic package
    BB provider - ntl:750/128 (later we'll look back fondly on those speeds :D )

My Hardware Setup:
    cable modem > belkin router > Grandstream 486 ATA* > DECT basestation

My Running Costs:
    After the initial outlay for hardware, my running costs are:
    €35 pm - ntl bb (technically you don't need bb for VoIP, but I guess most VoIPers do)
    >>>>>
    You don't need Broadband so Dialup 56K Modem will do?

seriously?
    >>>>

€9.99 pm - blueface subscription (there are 3 tariffs including pay-as-you-go)
    €4.00 pm - approx for additional blueface call credit (I only have 1 months data for this figure ;) )

My Review:
    Excellent. I don't regret cancelling my pstn line and switching over totally to VoIP for all of my calls. When the number port (allowing me to keep my existing landline phone number) from eircom to blueface went through I told no-one, and during calls no-one commented on line or call quality - that was the litmus test for me :)
    Of course, now I'm telling anybody who will listen :D

I've placed landline calls to Ireland and Singapore, and Irish mobiles - never a problem with quality (bar the odd one due to the other partys mobile phone reception).
    My personal experience has been that the ATA provides far superior call quality compared to using softphones (including both X-Lite and Skype) even when the softphones are used with a top quality headset (Plantronics GameCom Pro1).
    My ntl connection has been always on for 3.5 months - no problems.
    blueface customer support is well documented for being top-drawer.
    I'm only 6 weeks into total VoIP (24/7) and so far so good :cool:
    >>>>>>
    So you keep your Dublin number are you 100% sure what if your Broadband goes down and you need to call 999 Emergency?

Heidy

causal

*ATA - Analogue Telephone Adapter - it allows you to plug a normal phone (via an RJ11 plug) into the ATA which then uses SIP for use in VoIP

You don't need Broadband so Dialup 56K Modem will do?

seriously?
    So you keep your Dublin number are you 100% sure what if your Broadband goes down and you need to call 999 Emergency?

Heidy

Advertisement