Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi 40" HD LCD TV - no price yet - Sept 7th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Theres the 40" Samsung for €1599 on pixmania which is bloody brilliant price!wonder will this best it by much?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I'd guess 1499.00 Euro

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Looks like i'll be taking that day of work!

Any one have any other experience with Tevion? Are they any use?

I can see its just a re badged LG & Samsung set up but what is there build quality like etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

might be worth a go.

have done very well out of the tevion 28" widescreen crt tv i bought in aldi for 180€ a year or so ago. wish i'd picked up the 5.1 set up with it at the time now. :(

can't fault what i have anyway, and if this is the same quality i'd say it'll be grand. just wish i had the time and money to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Our 28" Tevion is fncked.
    It was never very good, picture was distorted, would band with high-white and contrast changes from any signal source.

I would seriously question the validity of the "HD" claim.

1366 × 768 pixel resolution - what's the scaling going to be like at the plethora of settings?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

SyxPak wrote:

I would seriously question the validity of the "HD" claim.

1366 × 768 pixel resolution - what's the scaling going to be like at the plethora of settings?

What do you mean by this? It has the the correct amount of pixels and 2 HDMI ports to have the right spec for HD

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well HD typically comes in one of two formats:

720p = 1280×720
    1080i = 1920 × 1080

As this TV is 1366 × 768, it is going to have to either scale up or scale down the HD content to match the resolution of the monitor.

Of course that isn't unusual for most HD TV's, but you need to make sure it has a good scaler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Have ye guys been keeing an eye on the net? They are producing so many of these screens it wont be long before the price drops through the floor. HD? For Gods sake there is nobody broadcasting in HD, apart from that hyped up premiership, yet. Most of the Sky stuff doesn't even know what widescreen is.

Tried looking for a review of it.Cant find anything.Any one got any information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

If it's 1500, it's well priced, considering there's a free wall bracket (usually quite expensive) and 3 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

expect at least another €100 on the irish price

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DrNuyenVanFaulk

No, Carrot Cake, Aldi and Lidl are good like that. Sure the websites are the Irish websites. All prices displayed are as is in the shop.
    I'd also say 1500, considering the specs. I just hope it has good contrast & colour issues. But for the price...

Oh, check this out:

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2162668/samsung-switches-inch-hd-lcd-tv

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DrNuyenVanFaulk

Just found this on another forum....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384215

Check out the second post.

i've noticed before where electronic stuff is dearer in irish aldi than in the german one. for example, my pc cost €1099 in my local aldi, but was €999 in germany

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

majiktripp wrote:
    Theres the 40" Samsung for €1599 on pixmania which is bloody brilliant price!wonder will this best it by much?

Has anybody seen this in shops in town? it gets good reviews on pixmania but some mediocre reviews on www.avforums.com but the folks on avforums are often comparing to units that cost 3 times as much!

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/149296/art/samsung/le40r51b-hd-ready-40-16-9.html?itag=3905

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

carrotcake wrote:
    i've noticed before where electronic stuff is dearer in irish aldi than in the german one. for example, my pc cost €1099 in my local aldi, but was €999 in germany

Is there a difference in VAT between Ireland and Germany?

fintan wrote:
    Is there a difference in VAT between Ireland and Germany?

Yeah I think we pay a higher rate but not that it would add €100

yeah, they pay 16%. in the uk it's 17.5%, yet the computer was £749 there (€1100)

its 21% here. They also have to ship it further.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭PADDYPOKER

Still be cheaper than getting it shipped yourself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mobby

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/08/21/samsung_70_inch_tv/
    And here’s me wondering if I will ever be able to afford that 40” aldi LCD.. sigh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

70 inches :eek:
    My missus would never look at me in the same light again :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

When I was in LA couple weeks back seen a 62inch in costco,think it was Lcd or maybe Plazma.It was selling at $1595....Had all the tweeks and whistles,HD ready and all that,bargain.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

The way prices are falling, they will 1000 this time next year (hopefully :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bobk

test

okidoki987 wrote:
    The way prices are falling, they will 1000 this time next year (hopefully :o )
    Yeah but next year you will have your grand in hand but be saying, "look at the sony 80" megapicture 6000, its 1500 now, but next year it will plummet in price!"

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

What does one need to look out for in relation to being able to use an LCD TV as a computer monitor? Would this Aldi TV have this capability?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

bazman wrote:
    What does one need to look out for in relation to being able to use an LCD TV as a computer monitor? Would this Aldi TV have this capability?

Are you short sighted :D

It has DVI in and HDMI in both can be got from a normal graphics card with some adapters but DVI should be standard on your pc.

So it will work out of the box at 40 inches :)

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote:
    Are you short sighted :D
    soon to be blind from watching all that high def filth on a 40"!
    It does kill 2 birds with the one stone, class TV class monitor, takes up feck all space. I got my plasma for that reason but the resolution was far too low, now I want the LCD as a monitor/tv for the bedroom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement