Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you buy shares?

• 18-07-2006 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭GreenDoor

Could somebody fill me in. I havn't a clue how to get started but it's something I'm interested in doing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

is that www.rabodirect.ie - bank something to do with investing in shares? not sure....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

You can do it in any AIB or Bank of Ireland branch or set up an online account with Davy Stockbrokers - I'm suggesting their online service cos recent survey suggested they have lowest commission on share purchases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

jdivision wrote:
    You can do it in any AIB or Bank of Ireland branch es

What ever you do dont do that they cost a fare few pound when you want to buy or sell! The best one ive heard is sharewatch.ie there the cheapiest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭GreenDoor

cheers to all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

This should be a sticky as its one of the most common questions ppl ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Or use a US based on-line service...I set up one a number of years ago, from what I remember bit of a pain to set it up BUT there charges are absolutely feck all compared to Irish broakers...I use http://www.tdameritrade.com/welcome1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

According to their website, Ameritrade don't allow accounts for Irish citizens :(

I've heard some dodgy things about sharewatch.com - late cheques, mis-quoted equity values and such.

Anyone else feel like suggesting a good American based e-trading service?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Check out e-trade as well. They offer various different services and quite a big player!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,644 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

igindex is an alternative

like betting on share movements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

www.sharewatch.com its practically free, its regulated and its irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

www.sharewatch.com its practically free, its regulated and its irish!

Sharewatch isn't Irish, based in Glasgow, with a postal address in Dublin, where they collect & deliver post. They have targetted the Irish market

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Sonderval wrote:
    According to their website, Ameritrade don't allow accounts for Irish citizens :(

I've heard some dodgy things about sharewatch.com - late cheques, mis-quoted equity values and such.

Anyone else feel like suggesting a good American based e-trading service?

TDAmeritrade certainly have Irish clients, and if they don't accept Irish now then that's new, great broker, never had any problem with them.

No problem with late cheques from Sharewatch that I'm aware of, but their website is appalling imo, and you would certainly want to watch to ensure that transactions are completed accurately and that you receive any due dividends

GreenDoor wrote:
    Could somebody fill me in. I havn't a clue how to get started but it's something I'm interested in doing.

Do you know what share's your going to buy?

If so search around all the company's to see who will give you the best price!

For example go to www.sharewatch.ie and look up Irish share's Minmet (I think that's how it's spelt)

Then go to www.goodbody.ie and look up the same name there different prices!

Shop around to get price's and see how much they charge to buy and sell them I have a sharewatch information pack infront of me there the cheapest!

If you want to put money in to share's and just kinda leave them there for a few years then goodbody might be your best bet!

They only charge 26Euro per annum where as sharewatch is 60. Not much but it all adds up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

No disrespect to the OP, but if you don't have a clue how to get started, you need to do a bit more research before deciding that you will invest directly in shares. You need to understand the taxation of dividends and sale profits. You need to understand nominee accounts vs holding the shares directly. You need to understand how limit orders work when buying or selling. You need to understand the relationship between diversification and risk.

The details of how to buy & sell are the easy bit, but do the background research first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RobM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Cute Hoor wrote:
    Sharewatch isn't Irish, based in Glasgow, with a postal address in Dublin, where they collect & deliver post. They have targetted the Irish market

Bank Account for transfering funds to Sharewatch is based in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

RainyDay wrote:
    No disrespect to the OP, but if you don't have a clue how to get started, you need to do a bit more research before deciding that you will invest directly in shares. You need to understand the taxation of dividends and sale profits. You need to understand nominee accounts vs holding the shares directly. You need to understand how limit orders work when buying or selling. You need to understand the relationship between diversification and risk.

The details of how to buy & sell are the easy bit, but do the background research first.

Not wishing to disagree but buying shares has as much to do with some luck and less than science, sure people have made careers out of how to and when to, but for modest punters it isn't all that difficult. Knowing the fundamentals is essential, but stuff like tax liabilities on profits/ offsetting losses against tax etc can be picked up easily enough.
    But if you weant to creep before you crawl, you can begin with buying shares in any of the elading banks, pay good divis and almost a cert to gain some cap appreciation, but if you move out of the safety of the trad stocks it becomes a little more risk, a bit like gambling. Lots of tipsters but also lots of losers. Personally I'd never buy a share in a co that never made a profit/pays a divi. Otherws might scream at this.

The big players usually provide excellent and informative reports for shareholders use intermediaries eg Computershare etc to offer discounted share dealing services to investors.

Although the brokers such as Davy charge more for the share dealing, if you are a client you gain privileged access to market reports which are otherwise not available.

Sharewatch offer a very good service.:cool:

The ordinary punters who were clients of Morrogh brokers in Cork and held their shares in nominee accounts probably wish they had done just a little bit of research beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Redlancer

how do you buy shares without using the internet?

• Advertisement

Open an account with a share's company! Then you could buy them and sell them over the phone or internet or even there office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ainemolloy1

Hello all,

I'm here to give my view on the US trading system of sharewatch.

It is possibly the worst involvment I have ever had with any company.
    It took two months and countless e-mails and phone calls to set up the account. None of my phone calls were responded to. Nobody available to deal with my query, people in meetings etc.

The sharewatch website link / portal did not work, I rang the technical guy and he just gave me a gormless ' I dunno'

Figured out by myself how to access my account through their US partner who deals with the actual trading .

The account had been set up wrongly and was set up as a commodities account with no permission to trade stocks. Remember this company is called 'sharewatch'.

Rang the partner company in US (very helpful), who told me it was sharewatch problem.

Rang sharewatch to try to sort it out. Nobody in / available / not returning calls etc.

Now want to get my money back and close non working account and guess what? Nobody in / not available / not returning calls.

Easily the worst transaction / customer service I've ever had in my life.

Avoid like the plague!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Redlancer

could anybody give me the names of shares companies in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭GP

Is E*Trade not for US residents only ?

I remember hearing about them oh at least 8 years ago so they've been around a while :)

Starting to look at the options too......

GP wrote:
    Is E*Trade not for US residents only ?
    Nope - I'm an Irish resident and I've had an eTrade account for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭woppi

RainyDay wrote:
    Nope - I'm an Irish resident and I've had an eTrade account for years.
    Same here. They have an office in UK for EMEA residents. See https://us.etrade.com/e/t/home/openanaccount.

For no bull (pardon pun) info on Irish broker options see report from Financial Regulator http://www.financialregulator.ie/data/cr_costsur_files/Stockbrokers%20Cost%20Survey%20-%20Issue%201.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

whats the most cost efficient way to sell shares I own in certificate form (I take my bonuses in shares)? Will I have to use a broker and pay all the fees etc or is there a simpler/cheaper way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Doug1234

Is there a different tax rate that applies to Irish v's International shares ?

Doug1234 wrote:
    Is there a different tax rate that applies to Irish v's International shares ?
    In general, no. If you are tax-resident in Ireland, than Irish tax rates will apply to all your income, regardless of source.

Some countries (e.g. USA) will deduct local tax from dividend payments before you get them. Irish tax authorities will give you credit for these payments against your Irish tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

ok well im serious about getting into investing myself.
    Ive been following the stock markets for the last couple of years and a few months back, just started workin in a large investment bank..
    My wealthy sister is willing to give me some money to start off with...
    some my questions are as simple as this:

1/ costs associated with broker trading : Should I use an online broker or physical broker? Some recommendations please. What are davys and goodbody like?

2/ Whats the best instrument to start off investing in? Funds/ ETFs/ Single shares?

thanks guys

Advertisement