Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you buy shares?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Do I need to register or something with Davys, etc before selling my shares?

i.e. if I decided in the morning that I wanted to sell some of my shares, can I just ring Davys or other up, quote the cert number and give them my details to send the money ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 12 whacky

go to etrade.com or tdameritrade.com

open an online account, fund it & start trading..

Or locally, go to sharewatch.com and they take care of you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ 8 posts, 3 years, nice.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

How safe is it to buy shares with the likes of sharewatch.com?

I see from the website that its an Irish Financial Services Company regulated by the Financial Regulator but if it goes bust to you lose all your shares?

I heard on the Joe Duffy show of a pension firm that was regulated by the financial regulator that went bust and the people only got back 80% of their investment €20,000 whicever was the smaller.

Also can anyone recommend any books or online sources for a complete novice in buying and selling shares?

Thanks in advance for any help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I set up a AIB online trading account a few years ago and only have a few shares.

However, I would like to receive the annual acccounts for each company I own shares in - is this possible?

Another quick question - anyone here invest based mainly on companies with strong dividend payments and history? Any recommendations of ISEQ or FTSE companies to look out for in this regard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Hey I'm looking for an online platform that will allow me to trade on the London AIM. I'm based in the UK but because i'm an irish citizen and only just moved here, its a real pain in the hole trying to set up using the UK online companies (have to send in a rake of bills etc) is there an easier option just using the parents house in Ireland?

Preferably paying with sterling, through a uk bank transfer.

I know i'm asking a lot :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

I recently bought a small amount of shares via AIB online trading account. I have recieved 'Contract Note & Tax Invoice' from AIB but I presume I will receive official share certs too or do they hang on to those??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Hi guys,

I am completely new to all of this. I am just wondering how do I start buying shares? What is the best site? Tonnes have been listed and I am still puzzled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭apache6

Bazbu; re AIB Online Trading.
    You will not receive a share certificate, it will be held by Goodbody's and you can sell those shares at any time online. If you had the share cert. yourself you would not be able to sell quickly. Hope this is of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭deepriver

just looking at setting up an account with sharewatch.ie who advertise as having no subscription charges however... they charge a 50e per year dormancy fee.. do they follow up on this anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bovriladdict

Deepriver, why use a service that has fees like that? there are other ways to trade online without these fees such as spreadtrading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bovriladdict

shoutman wrote: »
    Hey I'm looking for an online platform that will allow me to trade on the London AIM. I'm based in the UK but because i'm an irish citizen and only just moved here, its a real pain in the hole trying to set up using the UK online companies (have to send in a rake of bills etc) is there an easier option just using the parents house in Ireland?

Preferably paying with sterling, through a uk bank transfer.

I know i'm asking a lot :p

Hi Shoutman, did you get a solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kathymorrow55

GreenDoor wrote: »
    Could somebody fill me in. I havn't a clue how to get started but it's something I'm interested in doing.

Hi,
    Open an account in a trading house. This is the right start.
    I can give u url of a good trading house. Lemme know if u r interested.
    Kathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

im in canada, and looking to get started buying shares.
    I'd like to spread across multiple markets if possible, some in ireland and some here, in the us etc. Anyone know the best way to this?

Im not looking to wheel and deal, & keep transactions to a minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tokidokiame

Whats the best place to use when buying shares?

Im told good bodies are useless.
    Sharewatch.ie are scammers.
    Aib is too expensive.

Anywhere else? Just for small private investment shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Amouar

Hi guys,

I'd like to buy some shares on hold on to them for a few years ( long term investment ) , what is the best online broker that allows these? I've seen that most brokers charge inactivity fees, therefore they're not really ment for long time investments.

Any ideas on the best long term investment brokers?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

Have a look at TDDirectInvesting.ie

2% currency exchange fee, but the fees are good and the minimum deposit needed to avoid monthly fees is reasonable. Can't remember off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Does anyone have much experience in buying international stocks (US, UK, European) using the tdinvesting.ie crowd?
    Are they reliable? Send you the certs and all that?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Been looking around and I still cant find a broker I would be happy with. All seem to either charge a maintanence fee or high fees per transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

It seems most brokers charge quite a hefty quarterly fee - often about 20 euros per quarter. As someone who doesn't have a lot to invest I am pretty sure that this would make it hard to profit or even break even. I'm fine with the initial charges of 15 euros or so, but is there any way to buy shares without having to pay these hefty quarterly charges?

Specifically I'm thinking of buying shares in a European company (not British or Irish)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭gummibear

probably posted this in wrong spot earlier... sorry MODs

Hi all,
    excuse my ignorance in these matters but I just wish to clarify a few things.
    My wife has 800 Kerry shares (originally Golden Vale) which her dad left her. They are registered in her maiden name. we are thinking of selling some while the going is good. we do not have any other shares or an account with a broker. We are both paying tax at 41%.

I realise that €1270 worth of shares can be sold in the year without having to pay CGT. The limit is double for married couples but DO the shares have to be in joint names?

Is there a charge for registering my name on the share certificates?

Would we be liable for the 1% stamp duty in doing such a "transfer"?
    Any ball park figures on what kind of commission we would be charged on the sale of approx. 40 shares (€1270) or 80 shares (€2540)?
    Again apologies if the answers are obvious. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I assume Chelsea just have to win their first game, not the midweek too??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I assume Chelsea just have to win their first game, not the midweek too??
    Nah just sign up with any of the major brokers and fund your account, Chelseas performance doesnt come into it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Folks - New to all this and read all the posts with great interest...

I have some questions I hope you can help me with.

I am reading an old newspaper article in Independent.ie and did not see some of the traders called out - http://www.independent.ie/business/i...-26828219.html

According to the report, Sommerville advisory markets (SAM) are cheap and reliable? Anyone any info on them?

Also any experience with Danske Bank (formally NIB)?

or Sharewatch?

Another question and apols if this is a silly one as I am starting from scratch but the shares I buy, will I receive a dividend if the business can pay it?
    Secondly how "secure" are these online trading houses, if they go pop will the state guarantee me up to 100K?

Appreciate it if someone could help with this?

• Advertisement

Danske Bank are pulling out, thats why theres so many people looking for good cheap brokers at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Actually you are correct, heard that last week in the news
    so I assume Danske were good then....what about SAM?
    There is a thread elsewhere on boards to say stay away from TD and the Irish Brokers are...well Irish, in that they like to charge a lot for a mediocre service :rolleyes:

Just looking into SAM now, Ive sent them a list of questions Ill post the reply when I get it, as you say, the Irish brokers that are left seem to provide an *Irish* level of service, I didnt realise I had it so good with Danske, I thought they were mediocre but as I just buy and hold I could never be bothered moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Thargor wrote: »
    the Irish brokers that are left seem to provide an *Irish* level of service, I didnt realise I had it so good with Danske, I thought they were mediocre but as I just buy and hold I could never be bothered moving.

What's an *Irish* level of service?

BTW a sudden market exit is hardly a hallmark of good practice? Many of these foreign failures/exiters came here at the start of the recent boom, played a major in the bubble and yes it has blown up in their faces.

Good riddance to them, no loyalty to customers and certainly even less loyalty to this country.

At least the indigenous Banks/Brokers are trying to deal with the fall-out, provide an ongoing service whilst trying to re-build a viable business.

"So good with Danske" - that's another oxymoron.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

[quote="Sonnenblumen;87419840"

At least the indigenous Banks/Brokers are trying to deal with the fall-out, provide an ongoing service whilst trying to re-build a viable business.

.:([/quote]

That's funny

• Advertisement

That's funny

How so? Customers are paying dearly and the customers of Irish Banks will also pay above and beyond for the complicit but exiting foreign banks.

What's an *Irish* level of service?
    Generally 4-5 star prices for 2-3 star service or worse and slow to take requests or reply to communications.
    "So good with Danske" - that's another oxymoron.:(
    I thought of them as a mediocre broker but it turned out after research that they were nearly the best choice for my specific needs. Not an oxymoron.

Ive decided on Saxo once its time to move, I spoke to them on friday and it looks like you can do one trade on an American exchange for about $15 a quarter and that will negate the inactivity fee so that's not too bad, cheaper than I was paying and their online platform is seriously excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭HobbyMan

sdiff wrote: »
    It seems most brokers charge quite a hefty quarterly fee - often about 20 euros per quarter. As someone who doesn't have a lot to invest I am pretty sure that this would make it hard to profit or even break even. I'm fine with the initial charges of 15 euros or so, but is there any way to buy shares without having to pay these hefty quarterly charges?

Specifically I'm thinking of buying shares in a European company (not British or Irish)

Redmayne Bentley in Cork have no maintenance fee. They are a phone broker so charge €25 per trade plus usual costs on top.

Though they aren't an advisory service they will open up no problem if things aren't too bad in the office.

I've known Pat and Padraig for well over a decade and they get the thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

I use Firstrade.com, only $7 per trade. I've been with them now for 7 years and find them good.

FWIW I have a free 75 page stock market eBook on my site with a basic section that covers 'How to buy shares'. It's certainly suitable for the beginner investor.

You have to subscribe to the free newsletter in order to download the free eBook but you can unsubscribe as soon as you've downloaded the eBook (it's no problem, I only want to help people with investing as much as I can).

The site is: http://www.market-swings.com/

I don't frequent boards too often so if anyone has any questions about the market or investing I'd be happy to answer them at SNIP

MOD NOTE.

Please don't post emails or other contact details here. If anyone wants to contact you, they can do via pm.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pages

This thread although has lots of valuable information seems to be largely out of date.

I'm wondering if anyone had knowledge or experience of current online traders.
    For myself i'm looking to dabble with 15k worth. My Current plan is 1 large investment and 1 smaller one but both with a medium term outlook.

So ideally i want a trader who won't charge inactivity or regular fees but rather just take a cut of when i sell the shares since i don't plan to be an active day trader.
    The stocks are in the irish market but preferably I'd like to have the option to dabble into the US markets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Looks like Saxo Bank have added the Iseq to their long list of stock exchanges.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Pages wrote: »
    So ideally i want a trader who won't charge inactivity or regular fees but rather just take a cut of when i sell the shares since i don't plan to be an active day trader.
    The stocks are in the irish market but preferably I'd like to have the option to dabble into the US markets too.

Been looking for similiar myself. I'd like to trade even smaller amounts, so it's even more important.

Gave up on Sharewatch cause of their inactivity fees. Looking at Davy's right now, who charge a yearly fee, as opposed to quarterly fees like others. Just want to see if they do inactivity fees.

I know it wouldn't be a massive money making operation, but I really wish there was an online broker who specialized in low-level and beginner investors...

Ive been loking but it looks like pretty much everyone with a web interface is charging inactivity/quarterly fees now. Im moving to Saxo anyway, their quarterly fee is a steep £25 sterling but its possible to make one trade on the Nasdaq or Dow with them per quarter and only be charged $10, that cancels the inactivity fee so you can get away with $40 a year if you remember to place one trade a quarter, Ill be doing more than that anyway so it suits me.

So, I signed up for Internet Banking with AIB a few days ago, and have been a customer with them for a few years now.

I just noticed they do Share dealing, and seem linked with Goodbody, so their prices are about the same; €32 transaction fee, etc.

Has anyone been using AIB at all? Looking at what I need, it looks simple enough to sign up, and I'll be honest and say I'd trust AIB slightly more than I'd trust some of the others (since I got burned by Sharewatch). Are you able to buy and sell through the AIB website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Pages wrote: »
    This thread although has lots of valuable information seems to be largely out of date.

I'm wondering if anyone had knowledge or experience of current online traders.
    For myself i'm looking to dabble with 15k worth. My Current plan is 1 large investment and 1 smaller one but both with a medium term outlook.

You didn't say what Irish stocks you want to trade, so I'm not sure if this is useful for you or not. People tend to limit themselves to Irish or relatively local brokers which can work out very expensively when you take into account the commission/annual/inactivity fees they charge. Why should you be giving a lot of your hard earned cash unnecessarily to middle men? US brokers appear to be far cheaper, with a fixed charge (usually less than $10) irrespective of the size of the trade, there are no inactivity fees and no annual charges. Setting up an account is a piece of cake, and at least some of them take Irish clients (Ameritrade certainly do but TradeKing no longer do to the best of my knowledge). They provide you with a raft of information and trading tools. You can trade many Irish shares (ADR version - CRH, Kerry, BOI, AIB, Ryanair etc) on the US websites. Here is a website that identifies the top US brokers - bloody hell these brokers even pay you to join them!!!!
    http://www.stocktradingtogo.com/online-stock-brokers/

The one risk with using US brokers is the currency risk and the punitive bank rates for currency conversion (using an agency like CurrencyFair can minimise the currency conversion loss).

At the end of the day you have to make up your own mind, but it's your money so waste as little as possible on brokers (unless of course they are providing added value).

Best of luck with your investments!

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    You didn't say what Irish stocks you want to trade, so I'm not sure if this is useful for you or not. People tend to limit themselves to Irish or relatively local brokers which can work out very expensively when you take into account the commission/annual/inactivity fees they charge. Why should you be giving a lot of your hard earned cash unnecessarily to middle men? US brokers appear to be far cheaper, with a fixed charge (usually less than $10) irrespective of the size of the trade, there are no inactivity fees and no annual charges. Setting up an account is a piece of cake, and at least some of them take Irish clients (Ameritrade certainly do but TradeKing no longer do to the best of my knowledge). They provide you with a raft of information and trading tools. You can trade many Irish shares (ADR version - CRH, Kerry, BOI, AIB, Ryanair etc) on the US websites. Here is a website that identifies the top US brokers - bloody hell these brokers even pay you to join them!!!!
    http://www.stocktradingtogo.com/online-stock-brokers/

The one risk with using US brokers is the currency risk and the punitive bank rates for currency conversion (using an agency like CurrencyFair can minimise the currency conversion loss).

At the end of the day you have to make up your own mind, but it's your money so waste as little as possible on brokers (unless of course they are providing added value).

Best of luck with your investments!

I disagree, I don't believe Irish Brokers overcharge, typically small trades you can expect to pay 1.0 - 1.5% commission If you're buying > € 5k the rates are around 1.0%. With some brokers, an existing client can easily buy selected shares @ 0.5%. This hardly giving a lot?

Where you lose the plot is to suggest to transact in foreign currencies where you're on a hiding to nothing and the exchange rate swings will dwarf the standard fees outlined above. What's the point of keeping money in your pocket if there's a big hole in it?

You've been repeating your opinion regularly but I seriously doubt you have any real experience of dealing with Irish brokers. It reminds me of the guys taking the 24 hr bus journey for € 10.00 and not a € 40.00 flight. FFS!:o

So, I signed up for Internet Banking with AIB a few days ago, and have been a customer with them for a few years now.

I just noticed they do Share dealing, and seem linked with Goodbody, so their prices are about the same; €32 transaction fee, etc.

Has anyone been using AIB at all? Looking at what I need, it looks simple enough to sign up, and I'll be honest and say I'd trust AIB slightly more than I'd trust some of the others (since I got burned by Sharewatch). Are you able to buy and sell through the AIB website?

Found them slight, indifferent and expensive. Why would you not deal directly with the Broker? I would suggest you take a look at Campbell O'Connor, the service is great and you pay for it but not as much as Goodbody and you certainly do not need a bank involved.

Found them slight, indifferent and expensive. Why would you not deal directly with the Broker? I would suggest you take a look at Campbell O'Connor, the service is great and you pay for it but not as much as Goodbody and you certainly do not need a bank involved.

O'Connor, if I'm reading right, is more expensive in terms of transaction fees (€32 for AIB/Goodbody vs €40 for O'Connor). Can't see anything about yearly or inactivity fees though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I disagree, I don't believe Irish Brokers overcharge, typically small trades you can expect to pay 1.0 - 1.5% commission If you're buying > € 5k the rates are around 1.0%. With some brokers, an existing client can easily buy selected shares @ 0.5%. This hardly giving a lot?

I didn't say that Irish Brokers overcharge, they just charge more than US or European brokers imo. As an example, using your figure of €5k above, and 1% commission, it would cost you €150 to buy and sell Irish shares, assuming no price change from buy to sell, €50 commission to buy, €50 tax, and €50 to sell. The same transaction(s) with TradeKing would cost $10 total. That is a not inconsiderable difference. This does not take into account the annual/inactivity fees that you would incur with the Irish broker if you have an online account.

Where you lose the plot is to suggest to transact in foreign currencies where you're on a hiding to nothing and the exchange rate swings will dwarf the standard fees outlined above. What's the point of keeping money in your pocket if there's a big hole in it?

I would think that calling the suggestion to transact in a foreign currency as losing the plot is a little OTT, I pointed out the risk with it and you automatically assume that you will lose in the currency transaction, it's possible to gain on it as well. If you are using a US broker you obviously have to trade in dollars, but again I pointed out the risk in this.

You've been repeating your opinion regularly but I seriously doubt you have any real experience of dealing with Irish brokers. It reminds me of the guys taking the 24 hr bus journey for € 10.00 and not a € 40.00 flight.

I have dealt extensively with Goodbody, AIB, Fexco, Davy, Sharewatch, and NIB (in that order I think) in my time, and I found them all relatively expensive (some more than others).
    I now deal with IB and US brokers.

There really shouldn't be an issue with one repeating one's opinion if it is an honest opinion and there is no attempt to deceive anybody, should there?

The guy/gal above asked a reasonable question, I tried to set out what I believed might be the cheapest option for him, given his requirements, I have no axe to grind or any interest in any of these brokers, I was just trying to help.

O'Connor, if I'm reading right, is more expensive in terms of transaction fees (€32 for AIB/Goodbody vs €40 for O'Connor). Can't see anything about yearly or inactivity fees though.

I pay trans comm fees 1.0 -1.5% (broadly similar to the other cos) but with one key difference (unlike the others) no additional fees applicable. I only trade for certs no online dealing accounts. What I buy, I own and securely possess!

I actually find TDWaterhouse.ie ok.

They've had negative press in the past but I've used them for nearly 2 years and find them ok.

Trades are from €15, the spread on forex conversions is reasonable, they have a large range of shares available and they don't charge an arm and a leg for a phone call if you need to purchase micro stocks which may not be on their platform.

Ok, they are not Irish but neither is Saxo (who don't trade AIM shares btw).

For full disclosure I must state that TD is the only online account that I use and I am not affiliated to them in any way apart from being a user of their platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Hi all

I'm looking to make a 1-off purchase of shares and then intend to hold them for a few years- dont need an online a/c to monitor them etc. Is going into an AIB branch the best option for someone like me and just paying an upfront purchase fee and then eventually an upfront sales fee.

Also, I don't have bank accounts with AIB so would that be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 r3act0r

As someone who would like to hold shares in US Company X , can anyone advise the tax position on this for someone who is a PAYE employee in Ireland?

If I buy shares to sell again within 12 months, I want to be sure I have taxes covered. Any advice / insight / links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 gezzer

jay0109 wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm looking to make a 1-off purchase of shares and then intend to hold them for a few years- dont need an online a/c to monitor them etc. Is going into an AIB branch the best option for someone like me and just paying an upfront purchase fee and then eventually an upfront sales fee.

Also, I don't have bank accounts with AIB so would that be a problem?

I am looking at a similar situation myself so would be really interested in any answers anyone has.

Advertisement