Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭davejacko

Give it a chance, its only been up and running a few weeks. Users can leave reviews, you can't get any more independent then that. My mate owns a restaurant and is listed on www.goeat.ie and it didn't cost him a penny, so what what gave you the impression restaurants have to pay for a listing?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

well there was a link for owners to go to telling them how to get their place listed. I guess I assumed you had to pay for this?
    Also the amount of other ads on the site indicate it is a 'for profit' rather than for the consumer site.
    The likes of AdLib just list everywhere (well nearly, you are right about them in that they are slow to keep up to date) and have good reviews.
    If this goeat site have no reviewers of their own how do we know how good the reviews that do end up there are? How do you know they are independent?

For instance, you mate lists his place, 2 or 3 people leave bad reviews, does he then unlist his place? Do the reviews dissapear? He isn't going to be happy, is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭davejacko

As i said the users of the site leave the reviews not the goeat people, its up to you if you want to believe the reviews or not, i guess there is no way we can know they are independant but are you always this paranoid about reviews, how do you know anything is the truth! Regarding the whole profit thing, of course the developers of goeat.ie site are entitled to make a few quid for their efforts, they obvoiusly put a lot of work into the site and i'd imagie it cost a good lump of cash to produce, whats wrong with people making money, do you always work for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 goeat.ie

How independent is a regular punter off the street who goes to a restaurant and gets on goeat.ie to leave a review?

Reviews can be good or bad that is they way it is. Have a look on goeat.ie there are plenty of neutral and bad reviews. Help us populate it.

Do you realise the back handers and extra love that the famous critics get, they really don't pay for meals unless they are decent. Ross Golden is probably the most legit. The rest of them love a free meal.

Let me make it clear we are free to restaurants. We make our money other ways. Never assume anything in life. And those ads, don't make me a cent. If anyone has anything decent to advertise contact me.

Isn't our branding so much better though adlib what the hell does that mean is it a comedy site? goeat.ie at least I know what I am getting.

PS we are here to stay !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pimpcaddy

Fair play to you goeat.ie I love your site. It is a great service and helps hours go by in work. I can't believe it is free for all! We need more people like you! I hope it makes you millions!! I am spreading the word about it to all my mates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pimpcaddy

daveym wrote:
    well there was a link for owners to go to telling them how to get their place listed. I guess I assumed you had to pay for this?
    Also the amount of other ads on the site indicate it is a 'for profit' rather than for the consumer site.
    The likes of AdLib just list everywhere (well nearly, you are right about them in that they are slow to keep up to date) and have good reviews.
    If this goeat site have no reviewers of their own how do we know how good the reviews that do end up there are? How do you know they are independent?

For instance, you mate lists his place, 2 or 3 people leave bad reviews, does he then unlist his place? Do the reviews dissapear? He isn't going to be happy, is he?

Do you reckon adlib aren't creaming it, they are a hardcore software seller, the devils right hand man, they are in so many beds with associations and guides it is hard to believe, if anything their opinions are guided by the smell of money.
    Remember poor people have big tvs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

lets keep this on topic people

I was in Jacobs Ladder Restaurant on Nassau Street last Saturday night.
    It was my first time to visit as it is a very expensive restaurant, but as it was a special occasion we decided to splash out.
    The bill came to €180. We ordered from the a la carte menu.
    We had three courses plus an amuse bouche, an aperitif, bottle of red and a Muscadt with our desert.
    Oh lordy, I don’t have the words to describe how tasty the whole meal was, devine flavours to delight the taste buds.
    It was a perfect night.
    I so wish I could win the lotto and eat like that every night!! I highly recommend it as a place for a special occasion or if you have the dosh and would like to see how the other half live.
    10/10

http://www.jacobsladder.ie/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

Booked the Alamo in temple bar for my g/f b-day on Sat.

Anybody recommend any dishes or is the place any good. She loves Mexican food so any recommendations for her would also be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Beruthiel wrote:
    l
    The bill came to €180. ]

Need to be good at that price. Have to try it sometime.

Was in Derry at the weekend and had an excellent meal in a place called Flaming Jack's. Don't let the name put you off - it used to be known as Cosmopolitan - the menus still the same.

We had three courses (including sea bass and fillet steak), bottle of wine, two aperitifs came to €85. The fillet was as close as I've come yet to the splendour of a shanihans steak. Very good value I thought and good service despite being so crowded.

They take euro too at an exchange rate of 70p to the euro:)

dudara wrote:
    I don't tend to bother too much with italian restaurants in cork as most of them are ridiculously overpriced and simply not good enough.
    Have to say I was in ristorante rossini on princes st last night and had the tastiest food that I've had in a very long time.
    The staff were very friendly and the lighting nice, as was the background music.
    It was fairly busy too for a wenesday night which is a good sign.
    county wrote:
    patrick guilbauds in merrion st,its a bit pricey but a total dining experience
    LoL
    You like your fancy restaurants then...
    Iirc that place was 100 euro plus per person,not including wine .
    It's only the 2nd restaurant I've been in that gives you caviar as a chef's treat between courses.
    It's in the 5 star merrion hotel but is a separate venture, and like shanahans, its posh enough to make you feel underdressed if you arent black tie or at least a suit.
    A nice touch is that Mr Gilbaut himself comes around to all the tables to ask you if you are enjoying your meal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Hello

I dont know if this has already mentioned -couldnt find it anyway

Its a website that has special offers such as 2 main courses for the price of one etc.

No real impartial advice but sometimes there's only one way to find out!! :p

www.diningtreats.com

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

La Riva Restaurant Wexford Town. Reasonable. Fantastic food. Go Mon-Fri and try their tasting menu. Warren is a wonderful chef, very imaginative. Words cannot describe how good this place is. Book a table 053 24330 and experience it for yourself. We are just really satisfied customers that would drive a distance to go for food this good. They open at 6 and can recommend nice B&B's if you want to stay over. Try it, you'll LOVE IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bookee

Anyone know about 'New Restaurant opening in Tramore', Waterford...? Coast is still lovely, but others all a bit 'tired' and dirty looking ! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭monroe

Dont think this one is mentioned, forgive me if it has

Chilli Banana on drumcondra in Dublin is just what you need if youre craving thai food. Ambiance is not the best, tables are fairly tight and some of the seats are placed oddly as though they're trying to squeeze more ppl in.. but the food is devine....

They have a neat little guide to the spiciness on the menu which is really helpful also....The waiting staff are very helpful and attentive..

Its priced kind of mid range..not the cheapest but not five star either..

once again ppl...the food, its all about the food..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I just had lunch in the new Japanese place in Galway, Kappa-ya, on Middle St.

The service was flawless, the staff were a great deal more polite and friendly than just about anywhere else I've eaten. They were constantly floating around offering refills of water and tea.

The background music was just the right level, where it didn't intrude on conversation but you could listen to it if you wanted (which is recommended, as it's sung in Japanese and is an interesting change from the usual).

The food itself was wonderful. I tried the miso soup of the day, a salmon sushi roll and some green tea with rice. Everything had a very distinctive flavour and it all went well together. Delicious, and all for a paltry €9, good value for what you get.

It's certainly going on my list of regular places to go. Highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 rotary

there is a new restaurant in the white sands hotel, pormarnock called 'Mad Fish'. it focuses mailnly on fresh seafood but also has a number of other dishes with fillets of beef, chicken,lamb etc.....
    there is a link on the hotel website, where you can download the menu.
    www.whitesandshotel.ie/gallery.htm
    it boasts a number of award winning chefs, including the junior ireland chef of the year 2005!
    its well worth checking out!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 giddings

anyone know of any eastern european restaurants or bars in dublin city centre?

the transylvanian (i.e. romanian) tavern on henrietta street is closed now, i think, but i could be wrong. i've heard of a polish place on capel street, which doubles as a pub, apparently called the 'kanal cafe'. which isn't much -- tens of thousands of poles live in the city, they must get their homestyle food somewhere!

thanks a lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

When im in Dublin City Center, I like to stop at the Lotts (Lower Liffey St - Near the epecurian), restuarant style food and a reasonable price and very friendly staff. You would possibly class the place as a new restaurant pubs that have been cropping up. But dont let that deter you , as they have a reserved dinning area up the back away from the drinkers.

www.thelottscafebar.com
    ( I think the web page needs updating as the menu has changed a little since this )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Crubeens

Went to La Mere Zou on Stephens Green last weekend. Best meal I've eaten in years. So refreshing when you know the chef really gives a **** about what they're serving you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

My favourite restaurant in Dublin is the Mermaid cafe on Dame street. Great selection of fish and meat. They do a great dish of seafood in a massive bowl.
    They also do a fine Sunday Brunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Hi guys just wanted to show you a new idea.check out www.letseatin.ie

these guys do indian, chinese, thai and italian all in the one .they are a takeaway service only.but they have a branch in shankill,opening in sandyford and blanchardstown by summer.

i went into there shankill branch yesterday and you can you actually see the chefs cooking.they have award winning chefs from hotels workiing for them and the most importing thing for me is the amazing food.

I didnot know they were based in shankill till i read a review in the sunday paper afew weeks ago.

you should check them out if you want real food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Was looking through adlib for somewhere to go this eve and decided to quick rate the restaurants on there I remember being to...

Pasta Fresca - can't remem, must go again soon to check
    Pizza Stop Ristorante Italiano - inexpensive, tasty enough. No early birds.
    The Odessa Lounge & Grill - inexpensive. Some excellent food, some so-so. The Nachos are great. Cocktails are good. Decent earlybird.
    Kitty's Kaboodle - actually can't remember, so long ago.
    La Med Restaurant - terrible
    Good World Chinese Restaurant - average
    Da Pino Restaurant - excellent value lunch and early bird. Pizza good.
    Trastevere - noooo. New ownership now since my disastrous time there, but still wouldn't!
    Elephant & Castle - love the wings, what can I say
    Little Caesar's Pizza - tasty enough
    Nude - not my kinda food
    Eastend Tandoori,Aungier St - no no
    South Street Restaurant,Great Georges St - Wouldn't go again
    Break For The Border - terrible stuff
    Milano's in general - love em
    Cafe Bar Deli - good but not as good as crowds make out
    Cafe En Seine, Ron Blacks - decent lunch value
    TGI Fridays - turrible
    FXB Restaurant - average
    Jaipur - ok
    Shalimar- decent
    Wagamama- lovely food, don't like the sitting arrangements :)
    Il Baccaro - some memory I have, haven't a clue
    Unicorn Cafe & Restaurant - beautiful
    Bang Cafe - good
    Eden - lovely, great earlybird
    La Bella Roma - lovely prices, tasty
    Lemongrass - rip off but tasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i also love the chicken wings in elephant and castle.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 leroy123

Just came across this review of Deane's in Belfast - anyone ever been?

http://www.portaferry.net/Deanes.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I have just noticed alot of posts about the Montague restaurant, French Style Brasserie in the city centre.

I gave them a call today and it seems it's under new management because the girl said they are only open two weeks. Has anyone visited recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭milos

Hi all. Im new to this but one of the things I enjoy every Sunday is bringing my family out for lunch.
    Today I brought them to An Poitin Stil at the Rathcoole end of the Naas Road.

Have not been there in about two years and having seen a Q and A with the main chef Alan Healy, I decided to give it a go.

Very well laid out restaurant and bar set up and was greeted warmly by a well suited gent. We explained we wished to eat in the restaurant and he informed us that they would not be serving till 2.00pm. As this was 1.50pm we did not mind but we thought it strange.
    The four of us, the wife, two adult children, as they always tell me, and myself were seated at a nice table and presented with the menus and wine list.

Great selection of starters. We settled for veg soup, caesar salad, ministrone soup and i had aramatic duck.
    All served fresh and well and looked really well.

Our main courses were, Chicken and bacon breast with stuffing, chicken satay, 12oz steak and beef and guinness pie with potato and cheese topping.
    all came with side orders of salad , fried onion , and veg.

Surface of all the main dishes were DRY. large portions, well presented but DRY.
    The children spotted it immediately and the first thing they said was" JOELS".
    Yes the same people own both restaurants and both have the same problem.

The staff were very attentave and we ate most of the meal but...

On the plus side the desserts saved the day. we had Bannoffi, Orange Chocolate pie, a bit dry and a marvelous Black Forest ice cream.

With tea and coffee and four soft drinks our bill came to €132.38.

Good , enjoyable but please watch out for your main course being left under a to hot lamp before serving.

Will go back but not regularly.

Ps please forgive my spelling...... mis spent youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

I believe that the old owner of Joels had a large hand in the re design of both the layout , kitchens and the new menu, giving it good reasons to be like Joels. Not that its a good reason to dry your food under the lamps, thats most likely a lack of staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭milos

no smoggy loads of staff on that day.

like this post on boards, should be a lot more prominent.

I visit resturants and cafes daily and would love to report on same. Any ideas on how

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Drakol

Hmmm - I read on this Forum about the sushi place in BlackRock closing down, I remember that place years ago. It was nice food, wonder why it ever closed -

I wanted to ask if anyone knew any good Japanese Places in Dublin ? before I suggest one, because I'd like to try sushi from different chefs etc, just because I'd like to think of myself as a food critic lol. which of course I'm not =P
    P.s. Don't Suggest Aya - Please ? cause it's quality has dropped drastically since it first opened, I thought it was going to be like the Sushi places in HongKong, but then it failed the standards I place. Which was bad cause every other place I knew of was expensive or closed down *sigh*

Anywho - Was going to suggest a place I went to recently ^_^ The food was Gorgeous, but it could be that it's just starting out.
    It's a Restaurant thats in the Castleknock Village, under the Chinese place called MandarinCastle, - If you ask me, their are too many Chinese places there, Another called Wongs but thats another matter -

The New Japanese place is called "Akasaka", it's food is great, the Service is good for now - I know the servers aren't japanese lol~ thats a little obvious. The Chefs seem to be. - The Restaurant itself is Brilliant, Everything is made of wood. Real wood carved and all, which is unique in itself.

The food was Cheap compared to other places, I think it was 7.50 euro for six pieces of sushi - or was that just for the Ebi Tempura Maki... hmmm... I don't really remember the prices lol - My mother payed for it all ._. yes I know i am what one would call a student.

So their was Sushi, Salmon, Flying Fish?, Tuna and other things~ I didn't eat the clam *Does anyone know what Clam sushi tastes like?*
    And we had Japanese Udon with a Soup to Die for~ I think it was Fish based, they said they made their own soup. which of course could be true, It was at least better than Wagamama's. I met a couple of Japanese chefs at Wagamama's not working there of course, and they told me the inadequecies, and I was disappointed cause I loved eating there. *sniffles*
    Hmm - We had Yakitori Chicken too, The Servings were Huge, not the little sticks but actual pieces of chicken that barely fit into our mouths. My Cousin who was with me, was sharing mine, We had ordered two but didn't know of it's mass~ Three Sticks of sizable amount and quality, it did taste a bit bland though, but at least it wasn't salted over ~_~

Their were also other things, The miso soup ^^ was great, and they promised that they had made it themselves and not from those instant packets. I would have asked to see the Pot but that would have been rude.

what else was there.... hmmm~ Sushi, check, Ramen, check, hot foods, check. Omg! I almost forgot ^^ They also serve Okinomi-yaki ! Japanese styled pizza with meat,vegatables and sauce. This Restaurant is the only place I've ever see it at lol - I've only seen it on Anime's like Ranma 1/2.

Well thats about it,
    Food was Good
    Sevice was Good
    Enviorment was Ok - *This was because the Lights suddenly turned off during our meal. They appologised and said they would have it fixed, I think it's something to do with the Wiring of the place. I wonder really~

They don't do Lunch yet.. but they said that they'd do take away later on~ I wonder what you'd be able to get to take away...

Anyway - The place and stuff is on this card I have -

Akasaka Japanese Restaurant - *In big red writing =P
    Unit 1/2 Castleknock Village Centre
    Castleknock, Dublin 15
    Tel : 01-8103568 / 01-8103564

-- P.s. Don't forget to give us Suggestions on Current Sushi places - I would ask for a Private Message but this forum doesn't have that programmed --

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The best restauant i've eaten in in the country is without a doubt Zuni in Kilkenny. I'm a Dub and have eaten there twice before, both times the food was fantastic. Last time i had plaice, wrapped in seaweed to start with a sweet chili sauce that just melted in my mouth and Wild Boar for main which was fantastic. Friends had the mixed grill for main which they all loved and the vegetarian in our company had a beautiful mushroom risotto. Can't recommend it any higher, staff were friendly, the wine flowed all night. Perfection.

I saw La Riva in wexford also mentioned. This restaurant is also fantastic. its a small place, the food and service is fantastic and the ambience is lovely.

As far as Dublin goes there's nowhere jumping into my mind, but if you want a really nice selection of fish dishes i recently ate in Bruno's in Templebar and myself and my girlfriend both thoroughly enjoyed it.

Advertisement