Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New project...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Got my G5 n me pumps in the post...
    100_0808Small.jpg
    100_0809Small.jpg
    100_0812Small.jpg
    100_0813Small.jpg
    100_0814Small.jpg

Gonna lap the Base, although Cathar recomends u dont this one has been used and seen better days, also gonna polish the top plate till its as shiny as a nerds eye after a day out with the local bullys....

100_0815Small.jpg
    Was meant to get two plexi tops for the pumps, never arrived so im looking into it.. Will need to mod the mounts on these as they are too wide for the case..
    They will look like this..
    ddc-plexi_top.jpg

Will post pics of lapping and polishing for anyone interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Very nice. I'd like to see the G5 polished and lapped - very, very finely, as silver is (relatively) soft.

after lapping
    1000821small2fi.jpg
    before lapping
    100_0814Small.jpg
    Pic aint the best, doesn't show how smooth it tis, as shane said, silver is very soft... aint possible to get it as mirror like as copper r similar.
    Id write a guide but there's loads on the net already... If anyone wants a kit pm me n i'll make one up for ye..

Spent the past hour polish the mounting plate, the face side was badly scratched and although it was mirror reflective i didn't like it... Flipped the plate over n got sanding on the rough side... Lots of sanding followed by a couple of t-cuts and the difference is huge.. Its hard to tell from the photos tho..

before
    1000824small6pl.jpg

After

1000825small1pw.jpg

The Finished Block

dsc00040small3gz.jpg

dsc00041small0ru.jpg

dsc00043small1mh.jpg

As good as new, looks allot better than it did yesterday..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

sexy

New camera does a much better job of showing the finish i got from sanding n Tcut...

dsc00052small6rr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

you should get it modded to have two outlet barbs. It was an optional extra on the original. Gives a minor performance boost but makes SLI very neat cos one gpu wont be dumping heat on the second

U talking about this..NV78_prepsli_800w.jpg

Id been thinking about modding it myself but i'd be weary of cracking the plexi in the process..

unklerosco wrote:

Id been thinking about modding it myself but i'd be weary of cracking the plexi in the process..

dsc000150oy.th.jpg

I was talking about the G5, but now i've checked it out it wasnt an optional extra. It was on the 2nd and 3rd versions but dropped for the storm 4 & 5

• Advertisement

The GFX etc are on a seperate loop... The storm is on its own loop..

cool.

Your still going to have to do something to make them fit though.

I got a conversion kit from DD. Word of warning, the plugs in the pic RUST. Only noticed there now when i opened the case to take that pic. That was a bit of an oversight from DD

Well they'll be on a 3/8" loop so will be more flexible than the 1/2" n the asus mobo's have allot more space between the PCIe slots so im just gonna use something similar to this
    500180.jpg
    to link them...

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I am thinking of doing a bit of water cooling myself.........

Where did you buy all the parts?

www.alphacool.de

for somewhere closer to home try www.hitide.ie prob better if its ur first time trying watercooling..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

www.over-clock.com have the best range that i've seen. UK shop, reasonable shipping.

Thanks, what are those alphacool blocks like?? They have great prices, they would probably be a lot better than a homemade block.........

Depend on what block and what else u'll be using.. Alphacool are V good. Waiting on my second order from them, good prices and they're usually quick at shipping. Huge range of gear to choose from, always find something else i want after i order from them..

What do you think of the kits they do??

They are 1/4" and 3/8" so they wouldnt be the best

Would i be better off buying parts seperately and make a custom kit

What pump would you recommend from them?? and is inline or submersible better?

Best start a new thread for this... If u ask me u should head on over to the for sale thread n get this Swiftech 'Extreme Duty' CPU watercooling kit (Double Rad, STORM block)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054884858 of Vevex... Possibly the best kit u can get imo.. Actually the best kit u could have got, they stopped making that block. Was costing them too much. Possibly the best performing kit u could get.

Anyways back to my project, been working on my new workshop all day.. will stick up some picks tomorrow. Trying to get power to it at the mo(tis at the end of the garden)

• Advertisement

Thanks unkel, I placed an offer on it ;)

Thanks for your help and good luck with your project, and your workshop:D

dsc00164medium6dr.jpg

Workshop of horrors is nearly done.. keeping me occupied while im waiting for gear in the post...

Been polishing up some bits off my case. Trying to get a decent pic of em to show the before n after but it aint coming out as well as i hoped. Will get the pics up ltr anyhows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

can i move in?:D nice workshop and mice project;)
    edit: u should cover the back wall in peg boared so u can hang everything on the wall for easy acsess, nobody can ever have enough peg board ;)

I could actually move in, there's a load of space behind me but thats taken up by my mams floristy gear... cant complain, its her shed ;-)

Right, here's those pics.. These go in the top and bottom of the case..

U can see them in this pic, they have the coolermaster logo on them..
    atcs4000sx7fp.jpg

I've only polished one, still to do the other.. Actually still to finish the first, takes ages to do.. need to get some gear to get the finish i want.

dsc00178small0jj.jpg

dsc00173small6uk.jpg

dsc00187small7dt.jpg

Big difference, allot more visable in the flesh..

Nice workshop, looks cosy;)

Another CUSTOM PC reader:) :)

The only good PC magasine IMHO

ohhhh shiny :)
    i got one issue of custom pc but that was in america (yes i am talking about the same thing) but i cant get it here :(

Easons do it.. I got a subscription off the GF for christams.. She knows me only too well..

heh heh she does :) easons is a bit of a trip, ah well

• Advertisement

Last(yeah right) of my gear arrived today...

Hd cooler, double rad, 2 sheets of black acrylic and a few other small bits n bobs.. Can get cracking on the case now.

dsc00197small9wo.jpg

dsc00202small9wv.jpg

dsc00206small0bt.jpg

Advertisement