Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insane NTL speeds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

delly wrote:
    I'm sorry all you NTL users, but a green envious voice is building within me.

Oh....whats that you say?.....I must stop all the fast downloading?......no, no, no, let the people enjoy there fast connections.......what?, I must now get an axe and drive to the NTL servers and destroy them?.......the voices....i can't stop them.....My precious![/I]

/me breaks door down and runs in the direction of NTL HQ

lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

My speeds have dropped back this morning :/
    I'll try reset the modem again later when i'm back home.
    Was hitting 1200kB/sec last night off the ntl newsgroups tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 tigerbalm

PPC wrote:
    My speeds have dropped back this morning :/
    I'll try reset the modem again later when i'm back home.
    Was hitting 1200kB/sec last night off the ntl newsgroups tho :)

My modem has dropped back down to 3mb package:

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 3072000
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 300000
    Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭federerfan

Dont think I've enjoyed a thread as much in ages...

Great oneliners there guys !!

Bummer if you all drop back to normal speeds, but I hope we all get a little extra in the new year.

Thanks for the laffs...

Fedfan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

tigerbalm wrote:
    My modem has dropped back down to 3mb package:

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 3072000
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 300000
    Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600

Mine too......

How mortifying after all that boasting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

As a DSL customer I hope eircom get fooked with people joining up to UPC:Ireland (currently NTL/Chorus) after these increases are set in stone!

What are the chances that someone from the new cable company and David McRedmond will have a chat on Matt Coopers show some day???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

:eek: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA where's my 10MBit gone:eek: :eek: :eek:

OK Mr NTL, please put it back! It's christmas (nearly).Think of the litttle children and their dissapointed little faces as they wake this morning to find their 10MBit cruelly taken away :rolleyes:
    Seriously though, put it back. Ah go on put it back,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

:
    Seriously though, put it back. Ah go on put it back,

Agreed, I was enjoying mocking my friends Eircon based DSL and its inability to reach 10 meg. Now I have to go back to mocking their expensive 2 meg connections compared to my cheaer 3 meg... At least I still win. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Yep back to normal. What a way to suddenly piss off your customer base. I'd guess also that they would have look at the result and thought maybe 10mb is unsustainable and settle for something like 4mb. I was getting a consistent 4mb connection so I can only surmise that they were testing different speed ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

We probably messed up their testing by trying to download 6,000,000 teraquads* of movies. :D

*I made up the word teraquads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Aww you got 10Mb for 2 days for nothing and now your pissed off.

I have a moon here, want it ona stick? ;)

Snaga wrote:
    Aww you got 10Mb for 2 days for nothing and now your pissed off.

It was a few hours not 2 days. I would imagine it was testing and they didn't expect people to notice. The problem is they did and now we are hungry. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

JPA wrote:
    Throwing in a few wires and making a phone call hardly constitutes engineers. ;)

A very nasty and sweeping statement. Should we then class Quantity surveyors as a couple of lads waving poles and tripods about? Thought that kind of attitude was gone from this country.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

Aw, and i was getting used to 10mb :( O well, its clear that NTL were doing a test run so its reasonable to assume we will have the upgrades before Christmas :rolleyes:

Shigsy wrote:
    Aw, and i was getting used to 10mb :( O well, its clear that NTL were doing a test run so its reasonable to assume we will have the upgrades before Christmas :rolleyes:

When are Eircon doing their increase? I would imagine it will be after this. 10 meg is good. Eircon can't match that with their current set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I just spoke to a help desk person to cancel a service call (my 3meg connection in Lucan was down for a while this morning).

Asked if it had anything to do with speed increase last night. Guy didn't know anything about last night, however he did concede that it might be related to testing as 'ntl are definately increasing their speed in New Year'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eircom are upgrading sometime in January, dont know what date exactly but the most we'll get is 2megs on the entry package and 3megs on the plus package, business packages will get 4 and 4megs, havent heard anything about the caps they will prolly stay the same. Even after the upgrade Eircom will be slower than the current NTL offerings. 3mb on Eircom is not as fast as 3mb on NTL due to overheads.

If NTL do upgrade their customer's very shorty to the speeds they got yesterday I really hope they advertise it to the fact that they are up to 5 or 6 times faster than eircom and have widespread coverage, Eircom really need to rollout ADSL2+ very soon and start offering more realistic upgrades but I really cant see that happening any time soon:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think tis time Carlsberg did an add for Irish Broadband :D

Twould go something like this..

"Our standard package for broadband starts from 10Mbs with 2Mbps Upload Speed. We dont believe in limiting how much our customers can download, so we are providing unlimited cap (once you dont go to overboard and kill the network :D). Our contract is for only 6Months, and if your a first time customer to broadband - expect 3months FREE broadband. If not, we will give you 2months to give our service a try :) Customers who stay on and sign up for the contract can choose from either FREE Wireless Broadband set up in your house OR a 20% discount on Sky Digital! And if your not happy with it, there will no questions asked, no extra/hidden charges, and the process of moving to another provider will be as easy as 1..2..3!

Our standard charge for our standard product is an amazing €30 per month! You will receive only one bill (we will merge the bill from your telephone provider to your broadband bill) - so less clutter and mess at home/in the office!

Our Customer Service Desk are on hand, 24hours a day and 7days a week. Our Technical Support Team is also available 24hours a day. Both departments are trained very well and know there stuff - we guarntee that you will be extremley satisfied with our Customer Support, and we also think you will love your broadband packages.

By 2008 we will bring our Internet Access to 90% of Ireland, including Rural Areas!"

Carlsberg dont do broadband... but if they did... it would probably be the best broadband in Ireland :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

NTL really need to advertise when they do this upgrade or maybe when they merge with Chorus.

I mentioned to a colleague (very IT literate) that I'm moving my broadband to NTL from BT and he looked at me all confused? "NTL do broadband?", he said. "Is that over the phone or the TV?"

Some serious New Year marketing is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

just got home for lunch and my i meg is the same after re booting modem here in galway,I was told this morning it was going up to 2meg. rang back ntl and another lady tells me it takes 24 hours to go to 2meg . i asked about the 3meg connection and she said it is going up to 10 megs??? but i cant go up to that for 3 months as i only got ntl last week. good news though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

huggs2 wrote:
    but i cant go up to that for 3 months as i only got ntl last week.

Why not? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

There are lots of threads on ntl::hell forums about their upgrade. I guess the NTL deal still hasn't gone through so we are probably still part of NTL UK. NTL UK advertise speeds of up to 10Mbps and are upgrading the 3Mbps customers first. As seems to be the case here, not everyone can get the full 10Mbps. Probably depends on location/equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

i did,nt ask but i suppose its because i signed a contract for twelve months with the first 3 months free.Anyway i am looking foward to my 2 megs, will check this out tonight when i get home.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There are lots of threads on ntl::hell forums about their upgrade. I guess the NTL deal still hasn't gone through so we are probably still part of NTL UK. NTL UK advertise speeds of up to 10Mbps and are upgrading the 3Mbps customers first. As seems to be the case here, not everyone can get the full 10Mbps. Probably depends on location/equipment.

Yes NTL:Ireland is still mostly part of the NTL:UK network and systems, I believe the UPC deal included the use of NTL:UKs facilites for a certain length of time.

I just hope that NTL:UK haven't realised that they made a mistake in giving it to Irish customers also and that is why we are all back to 3m/300k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

if we're going the way of ntl uk, which it seems we are, then everyone will be upgraded to 10mbit, with packages instead being based on usage

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/186/ntl-to-make-10mb-broadband-speed-as-standard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

A Linksys WRT54GL should work with it shouldnt it or is it better to go for a cable modem/router?

oops, wrong forum

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

What NTL giveth, NTL taketh awayeth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Damn!!

I was getting the 10mb last night, was brilliant! :D

Now my 3mb seems to be slower! :p

Is anyone else still getting crazy speeds? Or have we all been left high and dry?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

carrotcake wrote:
    if we're going the way of ntl uk, which it seems we are, then everyone will be upgraded to 10mbit, with packages instead being based on usage

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/186/ntl-to-make-10mb-broadband-speed-as-standard
    Something doesn't add up in that article. On one hand the article says that 10mbps will be their standard speed. But at the end they say that there'll be no change in price. How's that going to work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

price is based on bandwidth allowance

Advertisement