Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insane NTL speeds

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Is anyone trying any files from heanet.ie though ? It's still without a doubt the fastest place to download anything from. If that doesn't max out your line then nothing will. Try the link somebody posted back on first page :
    http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/4.10/4.10-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

See what speed that download settles down to.

1mb per sec.
    Shigsy wrote:
    Use this and post your results. Make sure u pick the largest file (1.5mb).

http://home.eircom.net/speedtest/default.asp?id=1

Heres mine - Result: 1060.45 KBps

Result: 1098.1 KBps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭leche solara

What is power cycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

What is power cycle?

turn off and then on again !

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Anyone on the NTL 2M package seeing any improvement?

I'm still on 2M/200k after a power cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

that's pretty sweet!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Nice, fair play NTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

To all you ntl BB subscribers:
    I HATE YOU!

Signed: an IBB subscriber

lol, same here!

Was there any announcement or anything about these upgrades?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

UPGRADE ALL OF DUBLIN 15 NOW OR THE KITTEN GETS IT NTL!

this%20kitten%20reminds%20me%20of%20moby.jpg

Please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

whats the default username and password needed to view the modem settings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

root
    root

trust me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

whats the default username and password needed to view the modem settings?

admin

admin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

cool thanks bus77. i'm still on 2mb.

thanks drapper but i dont trust you yet. it'll take time to gain my trust, i'm like a great dane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Im so pissed its unreal, rang up to get ntl the other week, as everyone in my area can get it and whats the answer I get? Its not available on my road... ahhhh :mad:

Been told its coming soon, hope the increases are permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Is anyone trying any files from heanet.ie though ? It's still without a doubt the fastest place to download anything from. If that doesn't max out your line then nothing will. Try the link somebody posted back on first page :
    http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/4.10/4.10-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

See what speed that download settles down to.

Dear God... i'm downloading at 1200 KB/s.

Drunk on the power of it. And some wine too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ntl are reluctant to dig up certain road in D15 :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd just like to remind people who are trying to test their speed.

1) Everyone on NTL at the moment is probably trying to download the entire internet at the moment :) in order to try out their new connections. So the network is likely to be a bit up and down.

2) Speed test sites like irishisptest.com are probably being hammered by so many people testing.

MY tests have ranged from 4.5m to 9m just a second ago :)

Things will settle down over the next few days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Anyone know where i can check to see if NTL is in my area, I'm dyin to move away from eircom. I'm in the D13 area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

*bitter stabs of jealousy*
    ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

This post has been deleted.
    LOLLLL :D Excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Thaedydal wrote:
    ntl are reluctant to dig up certain road in D15 :(
    Is some one complaining or obstructing? Who is it?

/Offler loads his Heckler & Koch PSG-1
    hk_psg1_l.jpg
    Don't worry D15 I'll sort out our internet situation! I can be very persuasive.....
    [Scene change to a bar]
    Man: [whining] C'mon, leave town!
    Bob: No.
    Man: I'll be your friend?
    Bob: No.
    Man: Aw, you're mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Nice one. Power cycled and getting roughly 4mbps with 500kbps up. Wheres my other 4 mbs?

I'd like to say a special thank you to Magnet Networks without whom NTL wouldn't have felt threatened enough to increase the speeds.

Now would you all please stop downloading I've a very importnt speed test to do.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd like to say a special thank you to Magnet Networks without whom NTL wouldn't have felt threatened enough to increase the speeds.

I'm not sure if Magnet had much to do with this upgrade, I think it may have more to do with UPC about to complete it's purchase of NTL:Ireland and UPC bringing the speeds in line with what it offers throughout the rest of Europe.

See my thread on Chorus below for my interesting stuff.

It will look really good to be able to advertise 10m BB when they rebrand NTL and Chorus as UPC. I'm sure they will have a massive nationwide TV and newspaper ad campaign for the rebranding.

If they could only launch their voice service, then they could really put the boot into Eircom by offering the triple play.

You know it is incredible to think that my upload speed is now faster then what my download speed was on DSL just 3 years ago!!!

It is also incredible to think that the download speed is the same as a 10mb ethernet connection!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Why oh why can't I get NTL. I'm sitting in the middle of their southside network for God's sake :(

Congrats to all who have these new speeds though! ;) Lucky sods :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

CatInABox wrote:
    Anyone know where i can check to see if NTL is in my area, I'm dyin to move away from eircom. I'm in the D13 area.

What part of dublin 13 I'm in Dublin 13 myself and I have NTL

PM me if you dont want to be more specific here

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I'm sorry all you NTL users, but a green envious voice is building within me.

Oh....whats that you say?.....I must stop all the fast downloading?......no, no, no, let the people enjoy there fast connections.......what?, I must now get an axe and drive to the NTL servers and destroy them?.......the voices....i can't stop them.....My precious!

/me breaks door down and runs in the direction of NTL HQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Im actually curious. Im moving into Ranelagh on Saturday and I know that they have ntl Television there does that mean u can get the 3MB(NOW 10MB) broadband. Other question is do NTL do their BB and TV together, Im looking at their site and I know they do seperate products but is there a single product that covers TV and BB?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Teeheeehee nice now you know what Ive had for the past while...
    Its beautiful aint it boi's ;p :v:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/a357/masteroftherealm/?action=view&current=untitled.jpg

• Advertisement

Im actually curious. Im moving into Ranelagh on Saturday and I know that they have ntl Television there does that mean u can get the 3MB(NOW 10MB) broadband. Other question is do NTL do their BB and TV together, Im looking at their site and I know they do seperate products but is there a single product that covers TV and BB?

You must get NTL Analogue TV service if you want to get BB. Sometimes if you get BB, theygive you the analogue TV service free for 12 months (worth €19 per month).

Advertisement