Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Am i racist?

• 14-06-2002 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I started a job 3 weeks ago in a warehouse. The company i work for rely heavily on agency workers. Their own staff are mainly Irish, English and Scotlish, and are a great bunch to work with. It's the agency workers i detess. They are mainly eastern Europeans. They are a horrible disrepectful bunch of ****. We deal with food and it's plain to see that they get off on throwing the food around, misplacing orders, spitting it has put me off eating food from the store we distribute too. They look after themselves and no one else. They get all the handy jobs, they get the best of machinery, Why? cos if they don't get it they'd throw the "you are a racist" in your face.

I've began to react to them, telling them to f-off, not talking to them, ignoring them, i've even come close to hitting one for nearly running me over in his MHE.

It has nothing to do with where they are from or the colour of their skin. It's cos they are a bunch of argorant bastards and if anyone is racist it's them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I'm of the opinion that everyone is racist, whether they are aware of it or not. Its human nature to be wary of those that are different to yourself, the only thing wrong with it is when or if you act in a negitive manner against the other person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

It has nothing to do with where they are from or the colour of their skin. It's cos they are a bunch of argorant bastards and if anyone is racist it's them

Um, then why are you asking in the topic if you're racist?

You're not being racist for disliking the agency workers for acting like that, but you're being racist if you start to hate all eastern europeans because of your contact with those ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Kim Tae-Woo

Take two Irish guys same haircut same face same religion but one is kind and polite while the other behaves like an ignorant Sham.

Which one Will I dislike?
    The Sham of course.

It's all about behaviour!

If some one behaves like a scumbag or a sham then you have the right to be suspicious and warry of these @ssholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Everyone is racist in one way or another, the problem lies with lack of understanding and proper edgeamcation.

My friend who is black assumes if someone dislikes him its for the reason that he is black, not that he can be a complete and utter gobsh**t half the time.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Everyone is racist in one way or another

This is utter rubbish. I can quite honestly say that I have NEVER even considered discriminating against someone on the grounds of their racial background.

There are lots of groups of people I disapprove of or dislike, and lots of practices carried out by certain types of people which I don't like, but I would never make a judgement on someone based purely on the colour of their skin or the shape of their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

but he would judge someone on the size of certain other equipment.

RACIST!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

The original post speaks volumes about the "unregistered" poster. For a start, if everything you say is true, why did you post as 'unregistered'? Then we get some tell tale signs that all is not well in this persons mind. We learn that these workers: a) Are disrespectful. This could well be grounds for action by your management. If they are disrespectful towards them too, then I'm surprised they haven't been sacked. b) They 'mess' around with the food. Again, this would have to be considered serious, and possibly grounds for dismissal. c) They get all the handy jobs and d) They get all the best machinery.

This is classic begrudgery/nonsense. It's like those people in glasgow (and numerous other places) where the local working class people(and a fine amount of scum that was among them too) were whining about Kurdish refugees getting free furniture, free cars, free money!! Being jealous of the only people who have less than you is not in the least bit admirable. I had no idea being an immigrant was such an easy life. The easiest jobs, with the best conditions?! Sod that, I'm going looking for a job tomorrow posing as Petar Nickabolockov, sounds like a sweet deal. Do you think if I put "born in Budapest" on my CV my job prospects will improve? Either you have possibly the most gullible, soft and incompetent management team, or else (more likely) you're spinning a whole web of yarns. And if that's the case, then the answer to your question is most likely "yes".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

rise above their $hit

what food store is this? i would post it, its only a job and nobody will know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Unregistered, if you want to know are you racist or not, ask yourself this: "if an Eastern-European person walked up to me in the street, would I assume that he was a 'horrible, disrespectful wanker' and would I ignore them or tell them to '**** off'?"

If you answered yes, then I'm afraid yes you are a racist.

}:>

To people who think they're not racist:

Definition:
    Racism is an ideology that gives expression to myths about other racial and ethnic groups, that devalues and renders inferior those groups, that reflects and is perpetuated by deeply rooted historical, social, cultural and power inequalities in society.

Racist attitudes and beliefs are misconceptions about people based on perceived racial lines and are often founded on the fear of difference, including differences in customs, values, religion, physical appearance and ways of living and viewing the world. This includes negative attitudes towards the use of different languages, 'foreign' accents or the use of non-standard variations of a dominant community language.

You're telling me you never have any preconcetions about people based on their appearance? oh come on... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Everybody I meet has a clean slate to me regardless of who they are, what colour they are etc.. Even other peoples opinions of them I take with a pinch of salt. It's down to personal experience for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by azezil
    I'm of the opinion that everyone is racist, whether they are aware of it or not. Its human nature to be wary of those that are different to yourself, the only thing wrong with it is when or if you act in a negitive manner against the other person.

That's complete and utter bollocks. I can also say in all honesty that I have never even thought about discriminating against anyone because of their race, creed or colour.

You're telling me you never have any preconcetions about people based on their appearance? oh come on...

Yes. Believe it or not some people can be like that. Anyone I meet I see as just a person. Colour is irrelevant. Experience and time are what build impressions of people.

Well I don't differentiate between racism and prejudging a person based on appearance. Racism, in my view isn’t restrict it to race, colour, creed, social or religious background either.

By your definition I'm not racist, by mine I am, I treat everyone the same no matter what they look like, but that doesn't mean I don't judge people on their appearance, of course I do. (went to a seminar about this, made me feel like shit :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I treat everyone the same no matter what they look like, but that doesn't mean I don't judge people on their appearance, of course I do.

That sounds to me like you're saying one thing, followed by the complete opposite.

How can you treat everyone the same no matter what they look like and judge people on their appearance?
    Everybody I meet has a clean slate to me regardless of who they are, what colour they are etc.. Even other peoples opinions of them I take with a pinch of salt. It's down to personal experience for me.

Same for me.

I think a lot of people don't think of themselves as racist because they don't hurl insults at people of different skin colour to themselves at every opportunity and that it's ok to think less of someone because of their skin colour as long as you don't make it obvious or act on it..... to me that's racist too.

Originally posted by Mills
    That sounds to me like you're saying one thing, followed by the complete opposite.

How can you treat everyone the same no matter what they look like and judge people on their appearance?
    I may treat everyone the same but I still fell apprehension when dealing with certain members of the community, for example travelers. I try not to let my mistrust be seen but its still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

I was doin some shoppin in my local tesco recently when I rounded a corner and was face to face with A muslim lady in one of those big black shroud things.One of the really freaky ones with only a slit for the eyes.Now Looking at this woman and her berdy husband I thought "I wouldnt want these peoples religion influencing the way my country is run" now in Ireland its not such a big problem because there arnt too many muslims but this is exsactly the point that Pim Fortane in holland was talking about.

Now does it make me a racist if I think their religion is bull and I don't want it influencing my country?
    Notably I don't think any lower of the people themselfs just what they believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭JarJar blinks

Are you racist?

No but Azezil and Amp are PURE Racists

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

:O I for one am shocked... everyone is discriminating against "tossers". What harm did excessive masturbators ever do? Except to themselves of course :D

Seriously though, it's pretty simple stuff. I know a guy. He is a complete and utter gob****e. He's also Iranian. I assume he is a gob****e because he is a gob****e, maybe because he's spoilt or maybe because he's ignorant, I don't know why. If I assumed he was a gob****e because he's Iranian, then I would be a racist.

Another case, I had my bike nicked about a year back by an unwashed man in an unwashed van (according to witnesses at least). I told one guy about it and he blamed "travellers". Now he might have been a traveller or he might have been a Martian for all I cared, to me the point was he was a thieving bastard and he had my bike, and THAT is why I wanted to perform a sex change on him with blunt rusty tools :mad:

Some people would say if you have to ask yourself "Am I a racist" then you clearly are. I disagree. IMO it's better to keep asking yourself "could I be better?" than to sit on a high horse assuming you're already the best. Because the higher the horse, the longer the fall ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Originally posted by JarJar blinks
    Are you racist?

No but Azezil and Amp are PURE Racists

Sorry to post again but had to say this. From what I can tell in this thread Azezil is just cynical. For "pure" racists (an oxymoron if ever there was one) you should come over here and see what the :mad: BNP :mad: is up to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Originally posted by Zaphod B

Sorry to post again but had to say this. From what I can tell in this thread Azezil is just cynical. For "pure" racists (an oxymoron if ever there was one) you should come over here and see what the :mad: BNP :mad: is up to
    Yeah, I don't think azezil is a racist and he has a point. We all discriminate people one time or the other by categorising people and it's hard not to do it. Azezil is just more honest about it than normal people. Using an extreme example, most people would not sleep with a beautiful woman if they find out she's a prostitute. Why discriminate a woman based on her profession when you hardly know her or if she carries any STDs. Sure the risk is higher because of what you know about prostitutes but if every eastern european you've meant are what you're consider a prick because of different social etiquette then chances are, the next eastern european person you meet is also a just as offensive to you. We treat people based on our experiences with similiar people and a lot of the times not as individuals until we get to know someone. We don't live in a utopian society where everyone treat each other equally, that's just life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

interesting point Pat Kenny.

but what about the Catholic churchs influence on Irish Society or the great irish export...missionaries.

For years we have sent them off to Africa, Asia etc. They probally view RCs like we view muslims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

My friend was eating and had some food on his face so my friend said to him you have some sh*t on your face ( he didnt mean it in a racist manner, he was being friendly trying to tell him he had some dirt on his face as he'd say to anyone of us) but because my friend is black, he started accusing him of being racist.

Its remarks like that which are not meant to be interpreted as racist, which turn out to be so because people want them to be. Its because the world has become so politically correct that you can nearly accuse anyone of racism.

Bare in mind if a black guy walked up to you and called you a white bast**d go back to white land, you probably would take no offense but laugh it off. If you were in a minority of white people living in a black majority in Nigeria you would think about it more. We feel most vulnerable to comments like these when we are the minority.

I would never condone racism but if i was to call you a fat big eared bast**d, there would be much less ado about it than if i made a comment about your skin colour or culture. I remember when i lived in England my mates would slag for being an Irish Catholic but it never bothered me because thats what we did, the same way we would slag the fat guy of the group or the jehovah and even even the german would be called a nazi.

We just need to be more openminded and dont assume someone is a blazing racist because they say a certain thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

You're judging these people by their behaviour and character...I don't see how racism is an issue in all of this. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

At least Azezil is being honest about his feelings and his misguided predjudice. I, for one, am glad to be able to go along with what amp said and give everyone a clean slate regardless of colour, creed or race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Yeah true enough I dont like the way the old Catholic church has is claws dug into the way the country is run either.But I just get a bit freaked by htem women in de veils.Sorta like them scary bald women out of the film Dune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I'm not in favour of religion having any hold over the state whatsoever, whether it be Christianity. The state should be entirely secular. And Ireland should guarantee the freedoms of those who live in it, so if a Muslim woman wants to wear the veil thats fine, and we should accept it, and if she doesn't then it should be seen to that she isn't coerced into doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle
    Its remarks like that which are not meant to be interpreted as racist, which turn out to be so because people want them to be. Its because the world has become so politically correct that you can nearly accuse anyone of racism.

True... only the other week one of the founders of the Anti-Nazi League was accused of racism! Simply because he pointed out that some of the Muslim community in the UK does not want to integrate but wants segregation, and this could be used by either white racists of the BNP variety or Muslim fundamentalist recruiters of the Al-Quaeda variety to divide the communities even more. So the guy who worked hard for years to end racism speaks the truth and gets accused of racism by politicians who want to further their careers by pointing the finger at anyone... I for one am in favour of an end to racism but we should take our lead from people who actually give a sh!t, not from politicians attempting to emulate Senator Joe McCarthy.

Advertisement