Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

unwanted crushes

• 19-04-2002 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else, or if i'm just a complete weirdo :)

Has any1 even had a crush on some1 they thought they should'nd be physically attracted too, would'nd be seen dead with and not have a clue to why (chemically) they are attracted to them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

yes!! There at least one person i know right now that I find entirely annoying and irritating... and yet there's an attraction - i blame hormones :P

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Id say go with your instincts on that one havok, they dont often tell you things, but theyre usually correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by havok*
    should'nd be physically attracted too,

There is no reason at all why someone shouldn't be physically attracted to another person, it's perfectly normal. It's just your friends and family that you're worried about really. To be attracted to someone because of what someone else thinks about them is "complete wierdo". I have missed so many great experiences because of abstaining due to being taken the rip out of by my mates, it cant happen again!

And anyway, I've been out with a few nice looking ladies and they've shown me pictures of themselves when younger and a lot of them said that they were ugly when they were young, boys didn't fancy them etc.

Maybe they just need a good man like you to bring out the good woman that is SHE !

Go for it mate, the question is... what have YOU got to lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Anyway my opinion is thats just human nature, everyone has different tastes and sometimes you're gonna fall for someone who you think is attractive despite the fact you know they arn't attractive in the traditional sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Dont worry what your mates think, just arrange to meet her outside the pension office and go out and see what happens...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

lol Lex_Diamonds

Yes, I know what you mean havok*, I've been that way a few times myself. I actually think that it means that I'm not always concerned by the looks of someone, despite the importance that is always placed upon them.

I think that this is a good thing, and any time I see a couple I remember that no matter how much more "good looking" one person may be, it genuinely doesn't matter in the long term (coz of course when we're all old and grey we'll all be ugly too :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lots of people that I have ended up chasing (sucessfully or not :( ) have usually come to my attention for the wrong reasons. Give it a few weeks and you are likely to get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

would'nd be seen dead with
    The way i see it; you see something in this person that you like or have in common with, perhaps something that you do not show to the world.

IMO you are trying to maintain a certain image and you're embarrassed that if you are seen with this person, your peers will know something you do not wish them to know about you and you fear that.

You have to understand image is unimportant, happiness is all that counts and for all you know you may be very happy with this person.

Good luck to ya, i hope you make the right choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Yeah, keep us posted anyway.

They say those who edit a mans sig, are empty inside -Sigmund Freud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Originally posted by azezil

or have in common with, perhaps something that you do not show to the world.

I think u might have hit it pretty much on the nail there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

This person you shouldnt be seen with.

If its a shallow reason like looks or reputation, then I'd say ignore the popular opinion if your are inclined to do so.

But if its someone thats married, or a best friends mate, or even a cousin, i'd advise you to say well clear.
    Dont break up a family or lose a good friend because your thinking with your dick! (or female equivalent!)

X

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Xterminator thats sound advice to anyone there! Totally agree.. if its just a looks thing then it should not in theory be the most important thing. Though you sound like that are in some way physically attracted to her so she cant be that bad then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I think u might have hit it pretty much on the nail there.
    It appears to me that there's probably a lot about you that your friends, and perhaps family don't know about you.

You really need to get past your fear of expressing yourself, maintaining an image may make you popular in the short term but for the sake of your own happiness you really should be more open. Let people in, share a little, you'd be surprised at how understanding people can be.

If this person isn't related or already in a relationship I say go for it.

Healthy self esteem is reliant on us being open with each other, I speak from experience, I once kept a lot about me private and I was miserable. My life was filled with uncertainties, I never let anyone get close. I made a conscious effort to change and now I'll tell ya everything and anything about myself :), and I’m a much happier person for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Originally posted by Xterminator

But if its someone thats married, or a best friends mate, or even a cousin, i'd advise you to say well clear.

heh, no nothing like that.

Its that i'm attracted to her and not attracted to her @ the same time. This is something ive not encountered b4.

Just seems really weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Has any1 even had a crush on some1 they thought they should'nd be physically attracted too, would'nd be seen dead with and not have a clue to why (chemically) they are attracted to them?
    Moped, n., Fun to ride until one of your mates catches you.

My advice: Go for it - ask her out (but somewhere your mates never go :rolleyes: ).

Disclaimer: The Corinthian accepts no responsibility for any advice he gives regarding relationships. Hell, you'd have to be mad to take his advice on them if you knew his track record. The Corinthian, however, reserves the right to laugh at you in the event of comical results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kitton

the exception to the rule is usually the one.

• *:D old chinese proverb:D *
    If you fall in love with a dung heap-you won't see a dirty straw in it...

Moral-follow the chemicals-if the rest comes later...muhaaaaw:)
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Good proverb... very apt

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well I say go for it, screw what everyone else thinks, let them think
    Its your life and you only live it once

Advertisement