Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Real Chinese Takeaway recipes?

• 21-01-2002 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭ Fergus

Sweet and sour chicken hong-kong style..

I know the chicken and vegetable pieces are all pre-cooked and battered, and get deep-fried for the last minute or two at service.

The sauce - is it bought in, or made-up?

Anyone want to spill the beans..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 bubbles

I was under the impression everything in the Chinese Takeaway was made with various body parts of cats....

Now, the sauce wouldn't be brown by any chance, would it?

On a serious note, I think they usualy make the sause themselves, rather than buying it. Would seem the logical thing to do, esp with the cost of cats these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭ MiCr0

Originally posted by Fergus
    Real Chinese Takeaway recipes?

erm - that makes no sense.
    food ina chinese takeaway has nothing what so ever to do with real chinese cooking

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭ Krusty_Clown

I wouldn't think that they would waste the money on buying-in something like a sweet and sour sauce. these sauces are very easy to make, and are made from very common ingredients e.g. Tomato Ketchup , sugar, vinegar etc..).

Authentic Chinese food on the other hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭ Fergus

Hey I'm not saying the westernized stuff in the takeaway (or the restaurants for that matter) is real Chinese food..

I'm specifically after replicating the takeaway product. You see v arious recipes for sweet and sour sauce on the net, with things like ketchup and vinegar.. but it's just getting it spot on..

I have seen monosodium glutimate mentioned.. can anyone confirm if this is used?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 Dr. Loon

I have seen monosodium glutimate mentioned.. can anyone confirm if this is used?

I've no proof, cos I'm about to go home, and I couldn't be bothered looking for proof, but yes they do use it... in the sauces, it's what makes you want more chinese 20 minutes after you've just eaten some!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭ strat

yup
    thats one thing for walking to the train station from a lan i dublin at 9am on a staurday morning :) u see every second chinese takeaway place taking delivery of tons of fresh vegetables n stuff and many box's of this wonderful powder, in moderation it makes EVERYTHING savory taste great but too much makes things taste, well, very strong - its nearly all salt and other flavour enhancers and i assume it aint too healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 78,143 ✭✭✭✭ Victor

The sauce - is it bought in, or made-up?

I had a really bad lemon saucefrom a Chinese in Malahide recently (don't know the name). It tasted somewhere between (lemon) washing up liquid and (lemon) Beechams powder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭ MiCr0

Originally posted by Victor

I had a really bad lemon saucefrom a Chinese in Malahide recently (don't know the name). It tasted somewhere between (lemon) washing up liquid and (lemon) Beechams powder.

@ least it was the right type of taste ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭ Fergus

Lemon sauce is just a sugar syrup with fresh lemon juice added, and I think some cornstarch to thicken it.

can I have a big mac on its own to go please. would you like fries with that. no thank you. would you like a drink with that. no thank you. eat in or take away. take away.

Advertisement