Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real Chinese Takeaway recipes?

Options
  • 22-01-2002 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Sweet and sour chicken hong-kong style..

I know the chicken and vegetable pieces are all pre-cooked and battered, and get deep-fried for the last minute or two at service.

The sauce - is it bought in, or made-up?

Anyone want to spill the beans..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

I was under the impression everything in the Chinese Takeaway was made with various body parts of cats....

Now, the sauce wouldn't be brown by any chance, would it?

On a serious note, I think they usualy make the sause themselves, rather than buying it. Would seem the logical thing to do, esp with the cost of cats these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by Fergus
    Real Chinese Takeaway recipes?

erm - that makes no sense.
    food ina chinese takeaway has nothing what so ever to do with real chinese cooking

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I wouldn't think that they would waste the money on buying-in something like a sweet and sour sauce. these sauces are very easy to make, and are made from very common ingredients e.g. Tomato Ketchup , sugar, vinegar etc..).

Authentic Chinese food on the other hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Hey I'm not saying the westernized stuff in the takeaway (or the restaurants for that matter) is real Chinese food..

I'm specifically after replicating the takeaway product. You see v arious recipes for sweet and sour sauce on the net, with things like ketchup and vinegar.. but it's just getting it spot on..

I have seen monosodium glutimate mentioned.. can anyone confirm if this is used?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I have seen monosodium glutimate mentioned.. can anyone confirm if this is used?

I've no proof, cos I'm about to go home, and I couldn't be bothered looking for proof, but yes they do use it... in the sauces, it's what makes you want more chinese 20 minutes after you've just eaten some!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

yup
    thats one thing for walking to the train station from a lan i dublin at 9am on a staurday morning :) u see every second chinese takeaway place taking delivery of tons of fresh vegetables n stuff and many box's of this wonderful powder, in moderation it makes EVERYTHING savory taste great but too much makes things taste, well, very strong - its nearly all salt and other flavour enhancers and i assume it aint too healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The sauce - is it bought in, or made-up?

I had a really bad lemon saucefrom a Chinese in Malahide recently (don't know the name). It tasted somewhere between (lemon) washing up liquid and (lemon) Beechams powder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by Victor

I had a really bad lemon saucefrom a Chinese in Malahide recently (don't know the name). It tasted somewhere between (lemon) washing up liquid and (lemon) Beechams powder.

@ least it was the right type of taste ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Lemon sauce is just a sugar syrup with fresh lemon juice added, and I think some cornstarch to thicken it.

can I have a big mac on its own to go please. would you like fries with that. no thank you. would you like a drink with that. no thank you. eat in or take away. take away.

Advertisement