Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your VoIP setup?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 vastudent

Services
    voip: at&t callvantage (usa) www.callvantage.com
    internet: netsource enterprise 3072/256 www.netsource.ie

Hardware
    3com OfficeConnect wireless router, provided by netsource - firewall disabled
    dvg-1120m voip adapter, provided by at&t

Cost
    $29.99 per month

Review
    good quality and reliability, free calls to the US. sometimes i can hear echoes of my voice, and sometimes there is slight latency. so for quality it is not as good as a land line, but far better than a mobile phone. the main reason I use voip is the freedom to take my phone number with me when I move. so far it has worked perfectly for that purpose, allowing me to take calls in california, virginia, and ireland at the same number.

I think at&t requires a US address for the service, so you will have some trouble getting it set up if you only have an irish address. This can be gotten around with mail forwarding services however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

My Service Providers:

VoIP provider
    - blueface.ie :Pay As You Go for the moment, hope to port at the end of the summer.
    BB provider - digiweb:1024/128: As soon as the contract is up I'll probably ditch them, not the most reliable service provider, if you are going to use VoIP you need a solid connection.

My Hardware Setup:
    aDSL Modem (free Zyxel wireless one) > D-Link DI-624 router > Sipura 3000 ATA > DECT basestation

My Running Costs:
    The Sipura was 130ish.

Broadband - 39pm

Blueface - €10pm - at the minute we use it only for international calls to my sister in Boston. Mobile calls are still fairly expensive, and not much cheaper so it's handier leave them to Eircom than constantly topping up our Blueface account.

My Review:
    Fantastic. Was worried about what the call quality would be like as we live a fairly large distance from the exchange, and we're out in the country where phone lines wouldn't be top quality.
    Call quality is crystal clear to mobiles, landlines, and international calls.
    Dirt cheap can ring my sister for next to nothing. Below is a copy and paste from my call history. Over 16mins for 26cent.

USA 00:16:39 .26 PayAsYouGo

Compare that to mobiles:

Ireland - Mobile (Vodafone) Off Peak 00:08:35 1.631 PayAsYouGo

Half the time cost many times as much. So other than the expensive mobile calls (which in fairness everyone is expensive) Blueface are perfect. Would, and am recommend them to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

[
    The Sipura was 130ish.

Blueface - €10pm - at the minute we use it only for international calls to my sister in Boston. Mobile calls are still fairly expensive, and not much cheaper so it's handier leave them to Eircom than constantly topping up our Blueface account.

Why not get the Freedom Basic instead?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

paulm17781 wrote:
    Why not get the Freedom Basic instead?

I'd imagine thats what he is going to do when he ports his number, but getting the freedom basic would cost him more because with pay-as-you-go he can use all 10e for phone credit, with freedom basic he only gets 90min worth of free calls.
    Maybe I'm wrong... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

It's not completely up to me as I don't pay the bill, but we just didn't want to get in too deep with such a new technology. We felt with the Pay As You Go we would be able to get out easier if it didn't live up to the hype.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

It's not completely up to me as I don't pay the bill, but we just didn't want to get in too deep with such a new technology. We felt with the Pay As You Go we would be able to get out easier if it didn't live up to the hype.

All you have to do is cancel at paypal. I did this by mistake :o and am going to re-submit details in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

My Service Providers:
    VoIP provider - blueface.ie :Trial Package atm, hope to get freedom plus x 2 soon
    BB provider - Eircom:2048/128 (ratio here is a total joke)

My Hardware Setup:
    netopia cayman dsl modem > Netgear RT31P2 > IBOX 48 Phone System (Identical to Eircom Advantage System I think)

My Network Setup:
    DSL Modem 192.168.2.254 connected to the netgear router with an address of 192.168.1.1
    The netgear router allocates IPs via DHCP to all the pcs in the office & provides internet access. It also supports blocking individual pcs internet access by IP, Mac etc.

I previously had remote access set up to our file server using port forwarding through the Cayman.
    I'm not too sure how I should do this now, I was thinking I could set the Netgear up as a bridge instead of a router, allowing the original port forward to continue working. Would I then lose its ability to control QOS when the Netgear wouldnt be acting as the primary gateway to the net?

My Running Costs:
    €100 for the netgear router / adapter
    I'll update on the running costs, we currently spend about 450pm on calls.

My Review:
    Seemed excellent on a few calls with the test credit, had a bit of jitter on my last call to a mobile, however when I logged into the Netgear box I spotted that it was configured manually with 256 upstream instead of 128 so I think this might have removed the benefit of its QOS abilites.
    I changed it to the correct value & will report back when I've more time on it.

Eventual plan is to have 2 existing analogue lines ported to VOIP & just have one analogue eircom line for the fax & DSL.
    I'll also have approx 3 more gateways in other locations for employees working from home who will be able to then ring the office for free & vice versa.

The only thing I dont see as being possible would be direct dialling to desk (as I could do with an incoming ISDN line) which would be nice as it would free up the receptionist from spending time transferring calls around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

air or Cabaal - can you XXX out those IP addresses - just to be safe.

Thanks for posting your setups air and spartacus93 (and everyone else of course) - it's a great insight for people researching VoIP for the first time to see what real and actual setups people have already implemented.
    And we can already see in this thread the evolution of the hardware people are using, it's also great to see VoIP being adopted by SOHO owners/managers independent of the traditional telco providers. :)

causal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

causal wrote:
    air or Cabaal - can you XXX out those IP addresses - just to be safe.

I don't see a problem with the IP's as their internal IP's on his LAN, not really a security problem. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Cabaal wrote:
    I don't see a problem with the IP's as their internal IP's on his LAN, not really a security problem. :)
    Ssshhh! *looks suspiciously over shoulder*
    Someones been attacking my home network for awhile - he tried to plant a trojan with a key logger - but I managed to plant my own trojan inside a spoofed logger file returned to him. I just needed to get his IP address to get my trojan to execute. Well, tonight I got his IP address and I'm getting pings returned (quite fast actually I think he's local) and this boyo is in for a world pain. Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on, btw his address is 127.0.0.1

causal :D

• Advertisement

causal wrote:
    <snip>..I'm getting pings returned (quite fast actually I think he's local) and this boyo is in for a world pain. Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on, btw his address is 127.0.0.1

I've had a look at it but you might want to also try his IPv6 address ::1 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 areddan

Hi,

I've spent the last couple of days mucking around with a Sipura 3000 sitting behind a Vigor 2600X router using sip.blueface.ie as the sip provider.
    I am using an eircom netlink box and have set up PSTN to VOIP call forwarding using the following dialplan S0<:XXXX@blueface.ie:5060> .

My PSTN Line is connected to an extension on the PBX in the office. MY problem is this.

1. Voice call comes in over PBX, Sipura 3000 picks it up and forwards it to the voip extension. However then the customer hangs up and an engaged tone is played by the PBX to the Sipura 3000. I am reckoning that the fix to this problem lies in correctly identifying the disconnect tone, and applying this to the PSTN - VOIP setup page on the Sipura 3000.

To this end has anyone any idea of what the irish /eircom/netlink style disconnect frequency string should look like ?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 areddan

Got solution.

1. Sigview
    2. Download the wav file of message minder
    3. Analyse tone on wav file
    4. Build PSTN disconnect string, looks like the following for Eircom Netlink PBX extension

420@-30,420@-30;2(.485/.485/1+2)

Cheers

Alan Reddan

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

VOIP Setup

NTL 1mb broadband
    Linksys WRT54GP2 ATA/Router/Wifi

And soon to be Eircom free when my number is ported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭momozone

Not to boast or anything............

VOIP CARRIER
    VoIP Ireland

INTERNET
    2Mb Leased line with Eircom

HARDWARE
    Nortel Option 61c with 2 E1 connections to a 60 channel gateway
    Vega 400 IP Gateway with 60 channels

RUNNING COSTS
    18,000 per annum

momozone wrote:
    Not to boast or anything............
    INTERNET
    2Mb Leased line with Eircom <SNIP>
    RUNNING COSTS
    18,000 per annum

While its certainly a very nice setup, it's far from cheap :)

I take it VoIP Ireland = Voiceireland.ie?
    I have to say I think your the first person to post here using their service (as far as I know anyway)

They offer a HomeVoIP/DSL package but their website lacks alot of info about the service, which is a shame :(

Yeah we have been using VoIP Ireland for some time now....

The running cost may look expensive to you but considering the amount of calls we make to the UK.... Around 4000-6000 per day we are saving a lot of money.

momozone wrote:

The running cost may look expensive to you but considering the amount of calls we make to the UK.... Around 4000-6000 per day we are saving a lot of money.

So, what kind of call center are you running? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

momozone wrote:

Eircom are one of BTs biggest customers and hence get very cheap (if not the cheapest) rates to the UK from Ireland. I would have thought Eircom's rates on large call volumes to the UK would be better than the VoIP rates you can get esepcially seeing as you already have the PRIs from them...

Aaron

HA.... Eircom providing calls to the uk cheaper than 2cent per min with no min call charge!!!! Thats funny!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 remoteworker

I've just got Avaya IP Softphone installed onto my laptop which I want to use to log onto my IP desk phone at work (I work remotely a lot of tthe time).

I've tried uising the laptop's sound card as the hardware - can hear fine but nobody can hear me.

Can anyone tell me what is the best / cheapes option hardware / headset to buy?

Also, I would love to use a bluetooth headset with the laptop - can anyone reccomend a kit and / or tell me what I need to do to set up?

Has anyone tried th Bluewalker VOIP Bluetooth kit? - www.bluewalker.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 remoteworker

...oops ....that link should have been www.bluewalker.de

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

mart_max wrote:
    My Service Providers :
    Broadband - NTL 1.5mpbs
    VoIP - BlueFace PAYG

My Hardware/Software Setup
    Software - Firefly (Working great), X-Lite (Dodgy connections)
    Harware - Sony headset, Cheap microphone

My Running Costs
    €50 a month for NTL (shared with mates)
    €10 a month for BlueFace, hrs of calls to Asia/Australia

The only thing is I am not happy is with my headset/mic. They really sux. Wanna get sthing better but not sure whether VoIP phones or just bluetooth headset/dongle combi. Feel free to suggest. My budget is tight, €100 is max!

Now moving to new setup. Just got our Linksys WRT54GP2 ATA/Router/Wifi. Will get rid of Eircom (Will save around €30 per month) once we are ready for BlueFace monthly subscription! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

My Service Providers :
    Broadband - NTL 3.0mpbs
    VoIP - Smart Telecom (www.smart076.ie)

My Hardware/Software Setup
    Harware - NTL Cable Modem --> Netgear Wireless Router --> Linksys PAP2 ATA --> cheap cordless Analog Phone

My Running Costs
    €65 for Linksys PAP2 ATA
    €45 a month for NTL (shared with mates)
    No subsciption fee required with Smart. Just buy credit for your outbound calls

I just received my ATA in the post yesterday and had it up and running within minutes. Smart preconfigure your ATA to your 076 number that you sign up with. So there was absolutely no configuring to do. Just hooked it up to the router, and plugged in the phone and viola.

As regards quality, it's really amasing. I spent about an hour to a mobile in the UK at 2 cents/minute, fantastic stuff. I've been using Skype and VOIP Buster and the likes mostly used to make cheap calls to England but I had the pain of having to have the PC running. With this solution I don't have to have the PC on and can receive calls via the 076 number. Great stuff indeed. And they give you €15 worth of credit when you purchase the ATA, so affectively you're getting it for €50 and buying €15 worth of credit. 10/10 for Smart on this one.

TC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Net Connection:
    EsatBT 2Mb/128k

VoIP Provider:
    Smart076

Hardware:
    Netgear DG834 -> PC Softphone -> USB Handset

Running Costs:
    Just whatever I need in credit

I'd like to have QoS on my network but that involves alot of work or buying a router and then a DSL modem.

So if my calls get laggy I just punch my brother to stop his download, fairly effective method you think? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

TimTim, I wouldnt bother with implementing QOS anyway, I've tried it on an Eircom 2Mb/128k line identical to your own and while it improved the situation, you're still going to get poor quality if someone else tries to upload.
    This was using MAC address prioritisation, protocol filtering and physical interface priority on a Linksys WRT54G with custom firmware installed.

TINCOOL????

How did you make calls to UK mobiles for 2Cent/Min when the cheapest Smart rate to uk mobiles is 16cent/min to O2 in the uk?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

momozone wrote:
    TINCOOL????

How did you make calls to UK mobiles for 2Cent/Min when the cheapest Smart rate to uk mobiles is 16cent/min to O2 in the uk?????

Apologies, I was misinformed, it is actually 16cent/min and not 2cent for calls to UK mobiles.

its 16 cent to O2 mobiles in the uk. Its more expensive for other networks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hiphopynonmous

My Service Providers:
    VoIP provider - blueface.ie : Ireland / UK package
    BB provider - NTL

My Hardware Setup:
    cable modem > linksys WRT > DECT basestation

My Review:
    Very Good, great service. NTL connection speeds are good. varies a little but all in all good. Blueface, superb. Only got their service a little while ago and its been great. i got rid of my eircom line and kept the number. muhahaha you'll never catch me Eircom. :D

Advertisement