Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Have you got your phone number entered as 35383whatever it is?

Yeah, as I say, I followed the instructions in the booklet exactly. The guy on the phone yesterday asked me if I had the international code +44 in front of it, I told him I like to use 353 for Ireland ;)

As I say, it's not a major problem, but if it does work I'd like to have it set up -- thanks for posting the email charges, the guy I talked to on the first day on 333 said they were FREE because he couldn't find a list of charges anywhere. Good thing I didn't go crazy sending many! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I'm nearly out of call credit so 3-day is imminent. How would people rate the service after a few weeks of it?

How would people rate the service after a few weeks of it?

Haven't had a single problem with 3G coverage around home (Bray) and never been close to out of range with even 2G network (they use Vodafone's service so it's pretty much everywhere).

I like my new phone I got with them, the Motorola V975 -- battery's not as good as my previous Nokias (7110,7210,7200,6020) but really, for all the features it's not really gonna compete on the same level.

I'm on course to stay totally within my 300 texts on the €25 tariff, and I haven't made too many calls so my bill should be a good bit lower than my old O2 account, fingers crossed :)

Got my first bill there the other day (which only covers the price of the phone) but comes with a 'Your Bill Explained' booklet to highlight where all your charges lie, which is comprehensive and appears to cover everything.

3 themselves are definitely still in my good books, but the conflicting stuff I've been told over the phone (posted about it upthread) is kinda annoying, but that might be down to it being all new in Ireland *shrug*. Plus it's not a HUGE deal really - email is very low on my priority list for mobile phone tasks.

All in all, I'm still happy 3.5 weeks on.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Anyone who has read my replies will know that im a fan of 3 but my patience has been pushed to the limit over the last week!!!

i was on holiday in scandinavia and was told that I could use my phone for calls and texts back to Ireland. When I got there I couldnt do this and made serveral calls back to the 3 helpdesk at great exspense to me. I was told on first occassion to power down phone take out SIM and replace and swith on which should sort out the problem. Called back again when this didnt work and was told to try another network or that maybe it was a problem with the local operator!! Anyway after 4 calls I was told "oh its because you have reached your credit limit of Eur 165 and all your services are locked til its brought down!!!! I wasnt told when I signed up that I had a credit limit especially one as low as Eur 165!!! I was told that I could make a manual payment to bring it below credit limit which I was happy to do so I gave the guy my card details. The next day still no services so I called again and was told that at the moment they dont take card payments as there is a problem with their systems and they didnt know when it would be set up!!

As you can imagine Im totally P****d off by now. What a waste of time and money and Im on holidays!!!

Anyway Im back home now and still not sorted as cant make payments...3 have asked their credit department to upgrade my limit by Eur 60 yes Eur 60 is all im over the limit!!! So as to make everything work again . Their credit department has not bothered to get back to them !!!!

I cant send texts or make any calls.....I have to wait til 1st September til my new bundle of texts and minutes comes in or until credit dept get back to them .....3 urgghhh

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

I see 3 have finally managed to acquire the site three.ie

• Advertisement

Yeah they are hevily advertising this on www.skynews.co.uk and lots of other major websites with banners comparing their rates to Vodafone's!!!

Got a call from 3 yesterday to say they had upped my credit limit to Eur 250 so finally re connected again but if I want to make a payment off my account at the moment I have to do a bank transfer.......not ideal. They need to get their card payment systems sorted out ASAP!!! Did get my bill in and the call charges even calling from Ireland to abroad were very good value 20c a minute to call Spain is better than my landline!!!!

Dellas, as someone who was enthusiastic about 3 (like myself) and now who has had difficulty with them. Would you still generally recommend them or not.

Hi mate I have to say I proberbly would still reccomend them . The content of news,sport,MTV etc... is very good and their rates for international calls are brilliant too. On the whole the call center staff are really friendly and my problems with not being able to SMS abroad has now been fixed for most foreign networks. So yes 3 still get my vote....

What are your experiences/problems etc...????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I bought the motorola v975 of there site on Friday it was delivered today at around 10:00 am and I still cant make any calls. Rang the help desk and they said it could take 24 hours to have me up on the Network and I can only get 2.5g in my house which is annoying because it says on there coverage map that Leixlip is fully covered.

Does anyone have a Nokia 6680 on 3?

I bought the 6680 on Sunday (before Dellas answered my question ;) ) I have to say I am very impressed. Call quality is great and I use the 3g stuff (I didn't expect to). 3 get my vote!

• Advertisement

Well I've taken the plunge and ordered online the V975

Since it's before 2pm will I get this tomorrow? and how long before I can use it ?
    (sim card included or does it come under separate cover?)

Also I asked to port my number-any progress on this?

I presume since I asked to port they will initially give me 083 plus my existing 7 digit moby number to start out with?

Earthman wrote:
    Well I've taken the plunge and ordered online the V975

Since it's before 2pm will I get this tomorrow? and how long before I can use it ?
    (sim card included or does it come under separate cover?)

Also I asked to port my number-any progress on this?

I presume since I asked to port they will initially give me 083 plus my existing 7 digit moby number to start out with?

Well me service is up and running now and I got my phone yesterday it took nearly 24 hours to get me on the network but my friend got his out of the Carphone Warehouse on Saturday and he was fully on the network in 3 hours.
    Sim card is included is 083, I am porting my number across aswell they give you a form to send back to get your number ported across when it comes available.

paulm17781 wrote:
    I bought the 6680 on Sunday (before Dellas answered my question ;) ) I have to say I am very impressed. Call quality is great and I use the 3g stuff (I didn't expect to). 3 get my vote!

How's it going can you help me I have e-mailed 3 about it but no reply yet do you have the packet data "access point" for the Nokia 6680 so I can access the 3G service.

Thanks

Though it does not concern me much at this time...

It beats the devil altogether that they have a roaming agreement with Azerbaijan but none in Germany...

What gives?

Davexirl wrote:
    How's it going can you help me I have e-mailed 3 about it but no reply yet do you have the packet data "access point" for the Nokia 6680 so I can access the 3G service.

Thanks

I sent you a PM.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Earthman wrote:
    Though it does not concern me much at this time...

It beats the devil altogether that they have a roaming agreement with Azerbaijan but none in Germany...

What gives?
    They really should have sorted out these agreements in advance or launch. It's not like they didn't have time enough!

I got my V975 after 3 days (including a w/e cos they didn't deliver it on the Friday like they promised). You get everything you need in the box with the phone, including the sim card.

It's weird people had to wait to get connected -- I had 3G coverage from the moment I put the sim card in and turned on the phone that morning. Wonder what the problem is?

Should get my first bill either this week or next week, looking forward to seeing how much lower it is. I'm staying well within my 300 texts on my €25 tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

TCamen wrote:
    I got my V975 after 3 days (including a w/e cos they didn't deliver it on the Friday like they promised). You get everything you need in the box with the phone, including the sim card.

It's weird people had to wait to get connected -- I had 3G coverage from the moment I put the sim card in and turned on the phone that morning. Wonder what the problem is?

Should get my first bill either this week or next week, looking forward to seeing how much lower it is. I'm staying well within my 300 texts on my €25 tariff.

But with Meteor you get 300 texts for 27e, not much of a saving.

(My brother was logged in there if anyone saw that post that was just deleted, whoops...)

Pythia wrote:
    Well if thats what you want , you could just keep €10 in a meteor pay as you go and use the web texts.
    Complicated having the extra number though.

Anyway

Got my phone this morning-delivered to the door and working the minute I put in the sim \o/ Less than 24hrs thats good service :)

Watched a seinfeld comedy clip, though I've only 2.5g here, it took a minute or 2 to download but seemed faster than I thought it would be.

I'm more interested in the calls than the texts and they are exceptionally good value.I might send 20 texts in a month(seriously I prefer talking-talk is good when you laugh all the time :D ) which would be only 2 euro or so.
    Whereas I'm getting nearly 3 times the same talk time with 3 than with meteor for the same money.

The delay in porting is an absolute disgrace,the likes of voda,O2 and meteor should be shot down for delaying its introduction if its them that are delaying it.
    It's an anti competitive practice-competition authority where are you?

I didn't mean it to sound like that was the only reason I was on 3, or that I thought it was an amazing deal -- it's better than what I had on O2 (even with text bundles) and O2 charged more for calls/texts outside my bundles.

Price was only part of it though -- I wanted the V975, and the 3G services sounded good..and free :) I didn't really consider Meteor because they don't have any phone that I want, and changing network + getting a SIM free phone online would've worked out a lot more than getting the V975 with 3, so I took the plunge. :)

• Advertisement

Had some time to play with this now.
    Curiously I have "3g" coverage upstairs in this house and 2.5g downstairs.
    They gave me a date in october for a site to come live locally.
    It appears that when I downloaded the seinfeld clip, I was on 3G.

There is a problem with the voice mail which I had to call them about and , they rang me back 3 times(more than voda/o2 or meteor ever did) about it.
    It looks like they say theres some problem with their servers as they themselves couldnt access my voicemail from Scotland so the issue has been escalated.
    They're ringing me about it tomorrow.

The V975 is a mighty fine phone.

Hi guys as per Earthmans comment about agreements with Azerbaijan and not Germany!!! I rang 3 and put this to them at the start although my comaprison was why did they have agreements with Mauritius and not France!!! I was told that some "not so popular" networks would obviously be jumping to sign up new foreign networks and that the O2's and Vodafone's of this world were delaying as they were looking after their brothers in Ireland!!! After my experience with the two mentioned I can believe this. I have to say though that as promised 3 is getting these sorted out as soon as they can. The SMS agreements are comming in everyday with the major foreign networks so they are getting there.

I called up yesterday and asked to change my plan from 200 minutes and 200 texts to just 600 texts as I found that I only used 70 minutes of the 200 last month. There was no problem at all and my new bundle started this morning and I got 600 texts instead so i got them just in time. I guess it depends what you use more but Id rather have the texts as I text loads but dont use for calls much. RTE News was due to come in August but called them to say what was happening. The guy was really nice and appologised that the menu still said "comming in August" and he would get an update for me.

Have to say the 3 team in Glasgow are the best and hope they dont transfer it to India as they do for 3 UK clients.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Dellas wrote:
    Have to say the 3 team in Glasgow are the best and hope they dont transfer it to India as they do for 3 UK clients.

It must be a scottish thing. Sky are based there too and I've always found them to be very friendly and helpful, unlike the majority of the idiots you deal with in Ireland.

By the way. I'm contracting in a certain Mobile Telco and they are currently testing the number porting to 3. They have to do it in tandem with the other 2 tecos and could only start once 3 were up and running. Comreg are putting the squeeze on though so it's top priority in here are the moment. It looks like they are pushing for early October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

LFCFan wrote:
    It must be a scottish thing. Sky are based there too and I've always found them to be very friendly and helpful, unlike the majority of the idiots you deal with in Ireland.

By the way. I'm contracting in a certain Mobile Telco and they are currently testing the number porting to 3. They have to do it in tandem with the other 2 tecos and could only start once 3 were up and running. Comreg are putting the squeeze on though so it's top priority in here are the moment. It looks like they are pushing for early October.
    Hmm, pity, that's still a good bit off, was planning to change a few phones over to 3 but wanted to keep the same numbers on them. Would literally save hundreds of euro per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

Do you have any comeback if 3s map cover your area for 3g but after you buy the phone you cant get coverage there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭JTMan

Newshound wrote:
    Do you have any comeback if 3s map cover your area for 3g but after you buy the phone you cant get coverage there?

There is a money back guarantee withn the first few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

i might risk it then.
    just got a vodafone upgrade in april so im stuck with them for a year.
    still might work out cheaper with 3 though

Depends on what you want though.
    Because they roam on vodafone,you will have phone coverage even if you live in a cave.

I have a choice here between 1-2 bars of 3's own coverage or 2.5g vodafone which is full bars.
    I'm d/loading the news,movie clips etc no problem on that 1-2 bars.
    They tell me here in S wicklow theres another tx going live in Arklow on October 14th so that should mean I have full bars on 3.

The video news is free as are a lot of other things and 200 minutes for €25

It's a blooming bargain, if you ask me,I couldnt recommend them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Have to say the 3 team in Glasgow are the best and hope they dont transfer it to India as they do for 3 UK clients.[/QUOTE]
    your saying they have a call centre in the UK but its only for ppl in the republic of ireland while all the ppl in the UK go through india strange or what

• Advertisement

I wouldnt say it's strange.
    Having a load of indian accents on customer care at the start up would lose you a lot of customers as its hard to understand I'd reckon.

The scottish accent on the other hand is just nice :)

I'm confident by the way that I'm just going to come inside my talk allowance for the month going on the current trend saving me more than half on my meteor bill(which in turn had already saved me on my O2 bill)
    Happy days.

Advertisement