Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slightly off topic but.....Postcodes

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dahamsta wrote:
    What's your take on using GPS coordinates for the postcode? It seems like the most logical route to take, and it strikes me that it might be worth going against the grain to lead in this area. Presumably there are issues with it though?

You mean Galileo Co-Ordinates surely, GPS is a US military system at the end of the day and should not be the basis for postcodes in Ireland IMO :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sponge Bob wrote:
    You mean Galileo Co-Ordinates surely, GPS is a US military system at the end of the day and should not be the basis for postcodes in Ireland IMO :)
    I know it takes ComReg a while to do the consultations SB, but do you really think Galileo is going to be up there and active by then? This is Europe we're talking about here, ComReg sacrifices small operators to them every night out of respect for their extreme skillz at bureacracy! :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

<even more off topic than thread>Galileo is being funded in the majority by industry. Iirc the EU is stumping up about a third of the funding for development and construction of the system. The EU won't be paying anything on an ongoing basis for it. So yeah, I would expect it to arrive within a year or so of when they say. 2008 switch on isn't it?</even more off topic than thread>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Will have portable postcodes like the current areas in Dublin that grow legs and move into an adjacent area? Bits of Swords becoming Malahide, Marino becoming Clontarf and yesterday I thought I was in Tallaght when I was actually in Citywest!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Moriarty, you could well be right, but I'd point to the the EU TLD as another example of a European project driven primarily by pivate enterprise. Those guys just have to install or write some software, not launch 30 satellites into orbit, but how long's it been now? :)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I researched European address formats for a web site I developed a while ago and every EU country except Ireland, UK, and Spain use identical address formats. Spain is close to the norm but they have an optional province. Irish addresses are of course complete bollocks but even in the UK you can have additional locality info.

If An Post developed their own address to locality database they should have talked to MapFlow who have Ireland's best location lookup system and solved this problem a long time ago. They're used by virtually all Irish companies that need to find an address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

This is An Post you're talking about here..

Why would you use pre-existing data when you can accuire it all over again!

I wonder if they even used the ordance survey maps or did they re-survey the entire country?

If they used GPS / Galleo it would probably mean they'd want to launch their own network of "PostNet Satellites"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Solair wrote:
    If they used GPS / Galleo it would probably mean they'd want to launch their own network of "PostNet Satellites"

They pick the meanest dog on every postal round and carry out an inverse doppler effect thingy squared zplane calculation on it once it starts barking at them ....as it will.

This produces an enormous integer value which means something to An Post and only to An Post .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There is still time for Obstrufication though. Love the way the UK post codes were first done alphabetically rather than geographically. Maybe An Post could do them alphabetically based on the name in Irish.

Can you imagine if An Post and Eircom were still the same organisation, how useful the resulting post code system would be.

How would people be notified of thier post codes - would the letter arrive ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Can you imagine if An Post and Eircom were still the same organisation, how useful the resulting post code system would be.
    They would introduce the concept of "postcode rental" - where you pay a fee, say, 30 euros a month for the privilage of recieving letters. Tax bills and TV licence demands would still get through as well as demands for the postcode rental itself.

A special 10 euro postage stamp would be issued for those seeking to have letters sent to non postcoded residents. This would be mainly used by companies seeking outstanding debt payments.

The government would pass a law preventing anyone other than An Post from delivering letters in order to prevent "duplication".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Two people referred to an An Post project and Ordnance Survey. Here's the link
    GeoDirectory.
    Every building in Ireland already has a unique ID in this system. It is used by sites such as SDCC Try typing in an address.

The problem with the geodirectory is that it's copyrighted to An Post and that the codes are rather long 8-digits.

I can imagine them dragging their feet about making it a public resource!!! considering they licence it at a cost of a small fortune under very tight terms and conditions to anyone who wants access.

Then again, if the codes were public information and were used there would be more demand for the actual database so i assume they would make more money that way too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Solair wrote:
    I can imagine them dragging their feet about making it a public resource!!! considering they licence it at a cost of a small fortune under very tight terms and conditions to anyone who wants access.

LLU all over again!

Well, not quite as bad as LLU!

Nothing could be that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

we'll probably end up with a system that has as many exceptions as rules! take the car number plate system:

if dublin is D, why isnt clare C?
    if limerick has city (L) and county (LK), why doesnt dublin?
    if wicklow is WW, why isnt waterford WD, and also wexford?

spare me, the Oirish way indeed. can we at least try to learn from other countries. its not giving in, its being smart.

ack, Im tired of it all........

g

The Reg system actually works ok. There's only one clash WX and WD for obvious spelling reasons.
    WaterforD
    WeXford

Other than that cities (and their associated counties) have a single letter. E.g. D, C etc. It make some logical sense as you only ever really see Cork and Dublin plates regularly go beyond 4 digit numbers. (e.g. 00-C-12345 or OO-D-123456) you do need that little bit of extra space!

Counties have 2 letters, first and last unless the spelling clashes.

It's a sensible enough system. I can't see more than 999,999 cars being sold in a year Dublin anytime soon so it should keep working for the foreseable future. They could always introduce DN for County Dublin if it does :)

Oh yeah, the L and LK and W and WD come about because those two cities have suburbs that cross county boarders. So bit's of Limerick City actually lie in Clare (just don't tell anyone from Limerick or Clare that!)

Waterford City's got a similar scenario.

And a lot of people in Cork might be a bit upset if Clare were C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Not that this is the place for it, but the Irish reg system is not sensible. All it does is devalue cars quicker because of reg number/county snobbery.

In a country of 4 million people it's a bit over-complicated alright. It would make more sense to just have a simple code that didn't relate to anywhere particular.

I was amazed that I got a discount on a non-C reg car in Cork. Apparently one couldn't be seen dead driving something with KY on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Solair wrote:
    I was amazed that I got a discount on a non-C reg car in Cork. Apparently one couldn't be seen dead driving something with KY on the back.

LOL, but that isin't just a Cork vs Kerry joke, its based on the poor conditions of Kerrys roads (when averaged for the whole county) This has mentioned in the dail for another "rural" county I think it was Donegal

I know of a guy in Kerry who registered his new car in Dublin (D)
    but that could be for another reason (the universal accepability of the D reg)

>They could always introduce DN for County Dublin if it does :)
    no, DD would be better (reduces confusion with Donegal, and reinforces DUblins special position with two letters the same)

>And a lot of people in Cork might be a bit upset if Clare were C
    Yes the real counties got the the single letters first
    D
    C
    then the other have the longer versions
    DL
    CE

• Advertisement

vector, i wouldn't like to drive a D reg car in Cork City on a long term basis.

hardly universally acceptable! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I would venture to suggest it's not the registrations that are stupid, it's people :(

ok lets reduce universal to mostly

Imagine you live in SO (Sligo) and neighbour gets a different car
    it its SO, thats ok, if its KY then its obvious that it is a second hand car, but if its D then maybe its a fleet car/company car, that is what I meant. A D reg fits in anywhere

(BTW the above is just an example and I don't condone such snobbery)

It's the same everywehre though. There was HELL in London when they first introduced 071 and 081 phone codes. (the original london code was, like Dublin, 01)

071 was perceived to be snobbier than 081... So, there were reports of some people actually renting lines in 071 parts of london (e.g. a spare line at a friends/family members) and having the calls forwarded to their 081 real number!!!

Same for the Dublin postal district numbers and in Cork and elsewhere suburbs mysteriously stretch.

People will always find something to be snobby about..

e.g. Beverly Hills 90210 ... there's a snotty post code!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I kid you not. After I read this thread (About car regs), I heard a guy in work wants to do seperate Regs for each Council in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

It's all gone very quiet over the concept of introducing postcodes in Ireland - does anyone have any idea what the story is now? In July last, I emailed comreg and asked and got the following reply at the time - but haven't seen anything on the Comreg website since the reply.
    With regard to your query on postcodes

Noel Dempsey T.D. The Minister for Communications Marine and Natural Resources appointed a National Postcode Project Board to advance a postcodes project in 2005. [snip] The Minister asked ComReg to engage Project Mangers with the necessary technical expertise to design a suitable postcode and to subject it to a full cost benefit analysis. ComReg following the Minister’s request and acting on the National Postcode Project Board’s recommendation let tow contracts to Version 1 Software for the technical design and PA Consulting to undertake the Cost Benefit. Work on both projects is now being finalized and a report recommended by the Board is to be submitted to the Minister shortly.

Some related links on this matter include

http://www.comreg.ie/publications/default.asp?nid=101938&ctype=5
    http://www.comreg.ie/publications/default.asp?nid=101285&ctype=5

(Btw: I don't believe there is any new information here that isn't already on the comreg.ie website from the various Comreg articles).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There have been postcodes for years. An Post uses them for commercial advantage in Direct mailing. No doubt connected to fact the rest of use don't know what they are. Dublin has NOT got postcodes either. those are area codes, really just like extra counties.

Lots of web sites get upset. I put ROI or NA :) It's a scandal, not unrelated to Broadband or line rental scandals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

watty wrote:
    There have been postcodes for years. An Post uses them for commercial advantage in Direct mailing. No doubt connected to fact the rest of use don't know what they are. Dublin has NOT got postcodes either. those are area codes, really just like extra counties.

Lots of web sites get upset. I put ROI or NA :) It's a scandal, not unrelated to Broadband or line rental scandals.

The worst is are the ones that check your ZIP code and if its not an American ZIP code, tell you its invalid even though they are selling stuff internationally over the Internet. 90210 is the one I use.

We need Zip codes to avoid this crap about them online if nothing else.

My mate signed up for online poker and used 90210 for Zip code with address somewhere, Co.Clare and they rang him to find out what the story was. He said we don't use post codes and the guy didn't understand. Had to explain it slowly then that he was from Ireland and in Ireland there are no Zip codes.
    Blaster99 wrote:
    Not that this is the place for it, but the Irish reg system is not sensible. All it does is devalue cars quicker because of reg number/county snobbery.

That exists in every country. People in Britain know what the region their codes correspond to and are snobby about which they'll buy aswell. People with no real worries in their lives need something to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Funny, I sort of remember that Internet ordering was one of the reasons why postcodes were touted as being useful for Ireland, for reasons such as those mentioned above :) Visitors are often amazed at the fact that 40% of Irish addresses do not have a unique address .. and one street in Carlow where my sister lived had three number 7's on the same street :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

New Street In Limerick has each block as a terrace name, so goes 1,2,3, 1,2,3,4, 1,2 1,2,3, etc all the way up both sides. Same on parts of Balinacurra Rd. You have to put the Terrace name too.

However I got a letter from abroad in 5 days with just my name & Limerick, Ireland on it. I'm NOT the only person with my surname here either. One is better known writing for Limerick Post. An Post can be impressive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement