Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old ads on rte

Options
  • 18-04-2005 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a site with old rte ads - oh the nostalgia of it all - remember those old ads against drowning ("wheres grandad"), deafness ("boh boh") and fire safety ("john, did you put the cat out") - ireland in in the 1980's when you watched the ads cos there was no alternative... anyway we were talking about this in the pub over a few jars the other night and we were sitting round trying to think of old ads - any classics you can remember?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don't think there's anywhere that has the Irish versions available, unfortunately, but you can get the British ones on DVD! If you had the UK channels when you were growing up, you're bound to remember a few... some were funny, most just weird, some scary as fook!

http://625.uk.com/pifs/index.htm

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

well now... a market is born

• Registered Users Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

...as opposed to government propaganda, does anyone remember this one from the 70s?

Man in brown overalls lifting a HUGE carboard box with "Ferguson" written on it out of a van and into a house.

Two kids running around mad excited because they are getting... a colour tv ...!!!

There was even a song, which went along the lines of "When you switch your old grey telly, for a brand new colour set..."

Anyone remember this, I'm sure it was on RTE, must have been 1977-78 or so when I saw it, but the ad was probably older than that.

And who could forget... Roll out the Rolos... I remember being very disappointed when I eventually realised that the huge Rolo tube probably wasn't ever going to come rolling along my road... :D

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Funnily enough, 'twas only the other night I was talking about the crap safety ads to my better looking/more qualified/more interesting other half the other night and reminiscing with her about the times I thought about drowning my younger brothers in four inches of water in a paddling pool when I was watching those ads as a wee bairn. Could never persuade my parents to buy the paddling pool and piss off to the phone for ten minutes though.

Remind me: what happened to grandad again? Something on the beach or in a nasty uncovered barrel on a building site? Kicked the football into the subsupply station and went after it with a JCB with the bucket up too high? Or something else equally exciting? (stuff kids want to do)

What was it that the dodgy sounding woman (living in Cork as I did as a kid, I'm sure in my unworldy uncosmopolitan fashion, all real dubs sounded dodgy) wanted on the pyjamas? IS148-sounds-like-a-robot-hahaha-splutter? I'd happily have set her pyjamas on fire if i hadn't been at an age where I was afraid of matches after burning my hands in the fire the Christmas before.

Just as well those adverts featuring the nun shouting "Ba!" into that kid's ear stopped. That became far too popular in the schoolyard for our own good. And everyone knows a few years later, John gutted his wife with a rusty scythe and fed her to that bleedin' cat - every single night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

I started a thread on this in the retro section but it got sidetracked onto British ads (we didn't have ITV so I don't know them so well).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=244757

There also the aerobically fit ad, the safe cross code with judge from wanderly wagon, the fella painting the yellow boxes on the road and the fire safety one about not standing too close to the fire and looking for some fire safety mark. It featured a creepy woman telling a child to stand away from the fire and turns to the camera and says "you'd never forgive yourself if anything happened to them"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Loads of old UK adds here >> http://www.tv-ark.org.uk

Still haven't come across any sites with old Irish stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ohhhh yes, the Safe Cross Code with Judge from Wanderly Wagon!

I can still remember the tune, and it's something like 30 years ago...oh chrisht.

It's funny how effecive a 'gentle' road safety ad like that was, compared to the more gruesome slow-motion-toddler-squashing ones of today.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's funny how effecive a 'gentle' road safety ad like that was, compared to the more gruesome slow-motion-toddler-squashing ones of today.

Not really aimed at the same people in fairness.

the old advert was aimed at kids the same as the "leave us kids alone" one is now

The "people getting hit by cars" is aimed a stupid retarded drivers who drink and speed.

BIG difference :D

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

I remember one that I think was done by the whirleygig witch in Forthcoats about fire safety in the home (taking matches off the kids, putting the firegaurd in place etc.) - went something line "kids are divils but wouldn't you die if anything ever happened to them".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

d@rk l0rd wrote:
    I remember one that I think was done by the whirleygig witch in Forthcoats about fire safety in the home (taking matches off the kids, putting the firegaurd in place etc.) - went something line "kids are divils but wouldn't you die if anything ever happened to them".
    MG wrote:
    the fire safety one about not standing too close to the fire and looking for some fire safety mark. It featured a creepy woman telling a child to stand away from the fire and turns to the camera and says "you'd never forgive yourself if anything happened to them"

Well done, I knew I remembered her as creepy for some reason!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

sceptre wrote:
    Just as well those adverts featuring the nun shouting "Ba!" into that kid's ear stopped. That became far too popular in the schoolyard for our own good.
    Oh crap, is that where i got this from? I still do it to people who are seemingly ignoring me (distracted by shiny objects or pretending to be interested in something just over my shoulder). Was it something to with deafness, per chance? It's obviously stayed with me for the last 20 years?!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

corblimey wrote:
    Was it something to with deafness, per chance?
    Yeah, deafness

I didn't realise that dodgy woman with her IS148 (or whatever) thing was the whirligig witch.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Whirligig witch:
    "IS-148. Sounds like a Robot doesn't it.
    But if it doesn't have this IS-148 - don't buy it. Otherwise the nightie could go up in smoke - and your child with it.
    Kids are divils. But sure wouldn't ya die if anythin' happened to them".

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

1.The neighbour who does'nt give a damn...known for what he is .

2. Four of the best friends you will ever have and you treat them like dirt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

"Your cattle were on my land last night".

"Ah mind your own business".

"It is my business!! TB spreading on my land is my business.I don't want reactors".

"Ah I don't give a damn".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

there is a great account over on the world of Instagram: it often pops up ads and strange interviews and lots from mainly RTE.

@reelingintheweird

enjoy

Advertisement