Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ads from the 80s....

Options
  • 12-04-2005 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

.....especially those public safety ones.

Was in bed the other night and the wife asked me if I had put the cat out. It reminded me of a public safety ads from the 80's where a fella is getting into bed and the wife asks "tom, did you put the cat out?". He goes downstairs and finds an cigerette or something has started a fire and he scrambles to put it out. He stops the fire but the sofa, carpet, tv etc are ruined. He then goes back up to bed and the wife asks him " did you put the cat out?

Anyone remember that or other ads like:

The aerobically fit ad with the cool music

The man who paints the yellow boxes on the roads

The one where a creepy woman tells the child to stand away from the fire and turns to the camera and says "you'd never forgive yourself if anything happened to them"

Ah memories, they don't make em like that anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Funny a thread like this comes up -
    Myself and a friend were only discussing something like this and couldnt remember if it was a fire safety advert or part of some cartoon or what - im convinced its a fire safety ad myself.
    Its a cartoon piece, this little child house-fly thing wants to be a firefly - another fly (presumably his friend or something) convinces him to tie a match to himself, the first fly does, the friend lights it for him - needless to say severe burns result and the piece closes showing the fly in hospital. I think the slogan was about not playing with matches.
    Does anyone else remember this or was it all just some big alcohol fueled hallucination of mine ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Glipmac

I remember the "Charlie says Cat (demon)"

Hell Cat: MEOOWWOWOOW

Kid: Charlie says "dont play with daddys Shotgun or you may hurt the next doors dog

Hell Cat: MEOOWOWOWW

Kid: Charlie says "on second thought go play kid"

Glipmac! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Cat O'Nine Tail

Try this site : http://tv.cream.org/

They've got some of those films up. You'll need RealPlayer to watch them, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

They probably even go back to the 70s but there was the robots in the "For Mash get Smash" ads and there were the PG Tipps Tea chimps with the one with them as removal men shifiting a piano:

"Do you know the piano is on my foot dad?"
    "You hum it son and I'll play it."
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Cat O'Nine Tail

Damn, you'll love TV Cream. They have tons of theme songs and jingles, from the 70's and 80's on their site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I remember the Bisto ads.. the "never in a month of sundays" deely

christ and the ad for the atari 2600.. I can still sing the song to this very day..

"it's the video system with classics galore
    from space invaders to cars that roar
    it's real hip magic to hit the screen (?)
    and one more thing it's got a special low price
    under 50 bucks, 50 bucks
    It's the 2600 from Ah-tar-ee"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

The KitKat ad from around 1982-84?: "You can't sing, you can't play, you look awful... You'll go far"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Roar, i was just trying to think of what the atari ad was :) i could just remember the "AT-AR-REE" part thanks hehe

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'm not sure if it was 80s or early 90s, but do you remember that ad for milk with the wooden dummy?

How many bones has a grown up got?
    A child's got more bones than a grown-up's got!
    A child's got more bones than a grown-up's got??!
    And that's a natural law!!

Them bones them bones need calcium... Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

two guys, one white one black, they're at the door to the house and can't find the keys... "looks like its the burger bar for lunch then"
    "i think there's a window open round the back"
    whitey goes and looks around the back, he finds a ladder and an open window and heads up to get in...
    ...meanwhile the black guy kicks over the milk bottles at the door by accident and discovers the keys... just as the white guy comes down the stairs the black guy walks in...
    whitey "how'd you get in?"
    "keeeeyysss" shaking them in his hands
    whitey "but we could've been...."
    both turn and stare at the camera as we're treated to a brilliant... duh-duh-DUH!!!!
    it was for stopping crime or something along those lines.. classic stuff though, burned right into my mind!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

What about the milky way early 90s i think .

Correct me if im wrong. This is drilled into my head.....

the red car and the blue car had a race,
    all red wanted to do was stuff his face,
    he eats everthing he sees from truck to prickly trees,
    but smart old blue he took the milky way.

Hes looking for a chocolate treat,
    thats fluffy and light,
    because it wont ruin his apetite,

Oh no the bridge is gone the red car cant carry on

but smart old blue he took the milky way!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I remember those ESB ads, where the child would be climbing the pylon and then would be electrocuted. Does anyone remember this bizaree ad, this was in the 80's, don't know what it was for or anything. A man and his wife are in the bedroom, the man opens the wardrobe and a demonic creature appears?
    I also remember those cheesy 80's flake ads, more recent years, I think it was to do with Daz and the lyrics were "I got trouble of my own, leave me alone, I got trouble of my own"

More ads?

The Guinness ad with the guy on the surfboard
    Fairy liquid ads

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭eddiehitler

remember those old national safety council ads? the one with the couch going up in flames? it used to scare me as a child, but it was like a mini drama.

or the one to 'keep your dog under control' , it was animated and had a family dog going out with wild dogs killing sheep??? any one remember those and wher could you get to see them again???

Advertisement