Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite composer?

• 09-12-2004 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

As the title suggests...

I'd have to say Claude Debussy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

for a long, long time, Rachmaninov, although I've recently switched allegiance to Camille Saint Saens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭darkened_corner

Wouldn't really align myself behind any particular composer, personally. Although Bach's Prelude & Fugue in G Major for pipe organ is one of my favourite pieces of all time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

A controversial one...

Ennio Morricone

(and Bach from the past)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭asphalt-cushion

fade2black wrote:
    A controversial one...

Ennio Morricone

(and Bach from the past)

I wouldn't be familiar with most of his stuff but i know some of the western soundtracks. And yeah, he's good.

Calina, Rachmaninov is a huge favourite of mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

mozart. all the way. we should have a poll for "best sad piece" or the like..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pancakeman

jus found dis forum. cant beleive its here. sure classcal music is 4 ol grannies n they cant even use a feckin computer. ROFLMAO :D

i hope that was supposed to be some kind of ironic sarcasm or something like that.

fade2black wrote:
    i hope that was supposed to be some kind of ironic sarcasm or something like that.

what?

Do you like classical music?

fade2black wrote:
    Do you like classical music?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

MOZART! is my favorite, The magic flute.... Unfinished requiem... amasing!
    I do really like Debussy and Vivaldi but Mozart by far is the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

pancakeman wrote:
    jus found dis forum. cant beleive its here. sure classcal music is 4 ol grannies n they cant even use a feckin computer. ROFLMAO :D
    Poor PanCakeMan has no friends - me sad for you :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭asphalt-cushion

MOZART! is my favorite, The magic flute.... Unfinished requiem... amasing!
    I do really like Debussy and Vivaldi but Mozart by far is the best!

I do like Mozart but after a while it can become a bit repetitive. Some of Debussy's stuff is so innovative and different when you think of the time period he was composing in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

Bach -nothing can touch him, such captavating stuff
    him and Canon in D by Pachebel =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭elvenscout742

Pachelbel.

He didn't do much, but Canon in D Major is one of my favourite pieces.

After that, Mendelssohn and Wagner would be a close second and third. And (J. S.) Bach. And Orff. I'm not very good at restricting my list to one, am I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 michaelknight

Beethoven, by a long shot...for the mix of heart and intellect, and relentless innovation...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Tchaikovsky would be one of my favourites. I just love the Romeo and Juliet Overture...I love the way you can hear the plot in it.

My new favourite that I got converted to at college would have to be Mahler....his symphonies are amazing! Plus I'm singing his song cycle at the moment in choir....lots of fun but a really hard sing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

I must say I like Handel, there isn't anything by him I've heard that I didn't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I'd go for Chopin. His music is so lyrical, very enjoyable. I do love Rachmaninov's music too though. He'd be my idol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 michaelknight

My new favourite that I got converted to at college would have to be Mahler....his symphonies are amazing! Plus I'm singing his song cycle at the moment in choir....lots of fun but a really hard sing.
    This guy's reputation just grows and grows...he's limited in some ways, but in others unquestionably one of the greatest (IMHO)...his fourth is an unqualified masterpiece I think...especially in the subtlty of the first movement...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Béla Bartók especially String Quartet No. 4-5 Allegro Molto. Gotta love the dissonance...lovely stuff...

Was just reading there about his use of the Fibonacci sequence and the Golden mean.

His use of the Axis system has also influenced many artists from musical backgrounds such as John Coltrane.

Great stuff!

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Grizabella

Prokofiev, Rachmaninov and Beethoven would have to be my favourites. Their piano pieces are just the best to play. There's nothing better than playing a Rachmaninov prelude when your feeling a bit angry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 the_count

My favourite classical composer is Agustin Barrios.

Love most of 'em, but he's the man. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DSLC

Bach or Mozart for me perhaps. As someone else mentioned - Mozart's (unfinished) Requiem is amazing! Even if you feel an aversion to the lyrical content: the music is still awesome.

I also have a soft spot for Brahms; and used to listen to a lot of Rachmaninov's piano music (not so much lately though).

Slightly boring tastes in some people's opinion I guess ... but hey :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭snoopish

So hard...but Debussy (arabesques and La fille aux cheveux du lin are personal favourites), and Chopin for his incredible studies. I have also been recently been taken by Yann Tiersan and his work from Amelie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 The Termignator

Wagner. Next question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

I also absolutely love Claude Debussy-especially his Suite Bergamesque! Oh I adore that! I could listen to the Passepied of that on a loop forever!

I used to love Mozart, still do but now I prefer to listen to Rachmaninov! He's great to express any inner anger! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I think Haydn's Te Deum is one of my fav's - and Fleischmann's Claire's Dragoons, thats for choral, then I love Bach's Air on a G String and Pachelbel's Canon....
    so nope, I can't narrow it down either...

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Alqua

I really can't choose one. My favourite composers would be: Allegri (the Miserere is one of the best choral/classical pieces ever), Beethoven, Mozart (his Requiem is amazing), Handel (all of his works are brilliant, especially the Messiah), Bach & Chopin.

• Advertisement

Starting to get into Rachmaninov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Has to be Beethoven for me..

the 7th symphony, especially the second movement,

Piano sonata no 14.. one of my all time favourites...

I'm a big fan of most of his piano sonatas really... some amazing works..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭axtradub12

Rachmaninov.

Piano Concertos 1 & 4 :)

Nah, mozart all the way tbh. I'd loveto get into bach but I've no idea where to start. Would a "best of Bach" compilation cd be the best introduction, does anyone think?

"Now that's what I call Bach"....

There are loads of best ofs out there for composers but I recommend you get one of those big classical box sets and try all of them....Bach would be up near the top for me as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Alqua

Hmm, it wouldn't let me edit my post...
    Well, I realised had I left out two of my favourite composers! :rolleyes: So here's my updated list:
    Allegri
    Beethoven
    Mozart
    Handel
    Palestrina
    Bach
    Chopin
    Rutter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭axtradub12

My favourites, Rachmaninov,Tchaikovsky,Dvorak,Grieg,Bruckner,Berlioz,Sibelius,Brahms,Wagner, Borodin in that order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NiallKelly

piano:

1. Chopin - His Nocturnes, since a lot of them aren't too difficult to play.
    2. Lizt - La Campanella!
    3. Rachmaninov

others:

Tchaikovsky
    Grieg
    Beethoven
    Bach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 G-RÓID

Rachmanonov by far with his third piano concerto althogh im quite partial to a bit of chopin! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭cjs19

There is absolutely no question as to who the greatest composer of all time was, is, and ever will be. The sheer volume, innovation and highly finished feel to each work is astounding alone. If you dont know who I'm talking about by now then for gods sake child, purchase The Magic Flute, sit back and kick yourself at how mediocre a talent everything since has been. I saw earlier someone said his music is repetitive but one has to understand the social circumstances Mozart was composing under. Anything that sounded a little out there was viewed with dismay. Given that, he took convention and spat it out. This boy composed perfect intricate harmonies at the keyboard on the spot, this man was able to take an altogether simple melody and tease it until it became more than just music. Phrases held with such restraint that one almost feels he/she is being allowed for one moment a glimpse into the soul. I say this with humility and claim no offence on ones preference, but any man that says otherwise must have a hearing problem. Please feel free to correct me or challenge me as I love all classical music (almost). Just realise first that this was the music that took Bach's brilliant but rigid attempts at emancipation and made it look childlike. No longer was music a little verse to amuse, it was now a library to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

Beethoven first. Fur Elise is what got me to start playing the piano again. Then Mozart, as Rondo alla Turca is my favourite piece (a tricky little devil though)... But I love most classical music. Best genre there is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

cjs19 wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong,

No correction necessary!! Well said!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

being a piano-er it has to be Chopin Rach and Liszt.

RACH! woot!

Someone recommended Debussy's Clair de Lune to me a few days ago, been meaning to take a look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

It's a really nice piece... A little out of my range, at the minute at least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 haemogoblin

i have to say that ravel would be my favourite composer. all of his stuff is great, especially his piano works like gaspard de la nuit, sonantine and le tombeau de couperin. debussey i like too, i guess i like strange harmony!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 warpath

Well, many of you will disagree, but my favourite peices are all Mozart. Schubert's Piano Sonata in B flat, 3rd movement D.960 and his Moment Musical No.3 in F minor "Air russe" D.780 are close behind along with Haydn's String Quartet No.5 in D major Op.64 "The Lark": (1-4) - but Mozart's fearful symmetries are just too amazing to have any other peices come into the same catagory. (No offence intended) I say that particular statement because most people don't realize just how much Mozart hid his genuis. Beethoven's peice are very pleasing to the ear, but are nothing in comparison to having a beautiful symmetry take you completely by surprise and fill your eyes with tears from not only "happy" tears, but sad ones also. It is sad because how can one man create so many masterpieces so unlike any other composer. (I've counted rughly about 50 genuine symmerical MASTERPIECES) I can list about 40 of Mozart's top slow and fast compositions but i will only go to 5 each.

Favourite Slow
    i) Piano Concerto No.24 in C minor: Larghetto (K.491)
    ii) Piano Sonata No.11 in A major: Andante Grazioso (K.331)
    iii) Piano Concerto No.26 in D major: Larghetto (K.537) (got em mixed up)
    iv) March from his opera Idomeneo
    v) Serenade No.10 in B major "Gran Partita": Adagio (K.361) <
    (ingenuities aren't very hidden so most will like this one the best, the reason I don't is because it is exactly that. I had to put it never-the-less because once in awile there is nothing like "Gran Partita" to examplifly Mozartean grace and perfection)

Favourite Fast
    i) Piano Sonata No.11 in A major: Rondo: alla turca (K.331)
    ii) Piano Concerto No.22 in E flat major: Allegro (K.482) <---I listened to it so much in the past I totally forgot about it. Im kinda bored of it now, but it is incredible never-the-less.
    iii) Piano Quintet in E flat major: Rondo: Allegretto (K.452)
    iv) Overture to Marriage of Figaro: (K.492)
    v) Violin Concerto No.2 in D major: Rondo: Andante grazioso-Allegro ma non troppo (K.218) <
    just try and find ONE note that isn't absolute PERFECT
    vi) Violin Concerto No.5 in A major: Rondo: tempo Di Minuetto (K.219)

There are about 40+ other compositions that are relatively weaker in attack, but still far surpasses the next leadind composer. (Haydn)

To give you an idea of just how many masterpieces the man created... Listen to his Oboe Concerto in C major: Rondo: Allegretto (K.314) This particular peice probably isn't even in the standard Mozart concert repetoire but it is a very nice MASTERPIECE. (40-51 seconds in there is a very nice bass line) Even his Basson Concerto written when he was about 18 is in my mind ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr superior to anything any other composer has create at that particular age.

P.S. Beethoven's "Hammerklavier" is very complex (individual fugues written for each change in key and form) but as many a composer has said in the past; "Music, no matter what the situation, no matter what the theme, must never cease to be music." In other words, music must be symmetrical unless it is bubblegum music. Symmetrical sounds are beauty, not coarse violent ones heard in Chopin, Beethoven, Ravel, etc... The reason most composers resort to coarse junctions or passages or orchestral statements is because the ability to create thirds, fourths, and fifths (notes that are the same but diff octave) as a statement or theme itself demands a symmetrical outlook or concept in relation to music. Haydn and Schubert did this very well and that is why they are in MY mind 2nd and 3rd place. (D.960 to prove it)

"Before God and as an honest man I tell you that your son is the greatest composer known to me either in person or by name. He has taste, and what is more, the most profound knowledge of composition." -Joseph Haydn to the simpleton Leopold Mozart

P.S.S. One last example. (sry) Listen to Piano Concerto No.19 in F major:Allegro (K.459) It doesn't seem like an incredible masterpeice at 1st, but just keep listening to it so you are able to understand the main theme, then try to listen to the relatively hidden woodwind and ochestral string conversations in the backround while the piano plays the main theme and initiates the developement.

P.S.S. I didn't mean to undermine any other composer and I also didn't intend to cause offence to anyone. It is just.....

"Many people make a mistake who think that my art has come easily to me. Nobody has devoted so much time and thought to composition as I. There is not a famous master whose music I have not studied over an over." -trazoM suedamA gnagfloW

P.S.S.S. I don't personally like vocal compositions as they tend to make me shiver and my ears hurt. (No offence intended) ie. whenever I fall asleep and forget to create a playlist on a CD that has singing, I am ALWAYS violently awaken by the vocals even if it is an aria. (I never am awaken by his instrmental works)

Advertisement