Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite composer?

Options
  • 09-12-2004 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

As the title suggests...

I'd have to say Claude Debussy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

for a long, long time, Rachmaninov, although I've recently switched allegiance to Camille Saint Saens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭darkened_corner

Wouldn't really align myself behind any particular composer, personally. Although Bach's Prelude & Fugue in G Major for pipe organ is one of my favourite pieces of all time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

A controversial one...

Ennio Morricone

(and Bach from the past)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭asphalt-cushion

fade2black wrote:
    A controversial one...

Ennio Morricone

(and Bach from the past)

I wouldn't be familiar with most of his stuff but i know some of the western soundtracks. And yeah, he's good.

Calina, Rachmaninov is a huge favourite of mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

mozart. all the way. we should have a poll for "best sad piece" or the like..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pancakeman

jus found dis forum. cant beleive its here. sure classcal music is 4 ol grannies n they cant even use a feckin computer. ROFLMAO :D

i hope that was supposed to be some kind of ironic sarcasm or something like that.

fade2black wrote:
    i hope that was supposed to be some kind of ironic sarcasm or something like that.

what?

Do you like classical music?

fade2black wrote:
    Do you like classical music?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

MOZART! is my favorite, The magic flute.... Unfinished requiem... amasing!
    I do really like Debussy and Vivaldi but Mozart by far is the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

pancakeman wrote:
    jus found dis forum. cant beleive its here. sure classcal music is 4 ol grannies n they cant even use a feckin computer. ROFLMAO :D
    Poor PanCakeMan has no friends - me sad for you :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭asphalt-cushion

MOZART! is my favorite, The magic flute.... Unfinished requiem... amasing!
    I do really like Debussy and Vivaldi but Mozart by far is the best!

I do like Mozart but after a while it can become a bit repetitive. Some of Debussy's stuff is so innovative and different when you think of the time period he was composing in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

Bach -nothing can touch him, such captavating stuff
    him and Canon in D by Pachebel =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭elvenscout742

Pachelbel.

He didn't do much, but Canon in D Major is one of my favourite pieces.

After that, Mendelssohn and Wagner would be a close second and third. And (J. S.) Bach. And Orff. I'm not very good at restricting my list to one, am I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 michaelknight

Beethoven, by a long shot...for the mix of heart and intellect, and relentless innovation...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Tchaikovsky would be one of my favourites. I just love the Romeo and Juliet Overture...I love the way you can hear the plot in it.

My new favourite that I got converted to at college would have to be Mahler....his symphonies are amazing! Plus I'm singing his song cycle at the moment in choir....lots of fun but a really hard sing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

I must say I like Handel, there isn't anything by him I've heard that I didn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I'd go for Chopin. His music is so lyrical, very enjoyable. I do love Rachmaninov's music too though. He'd be my idol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 michaelknight

My new favourite that I got converted to at college would have to be Mahler....his symphonies are amazing! Plus I'm singing his song cycle at the moment in choir....lots of fun but a really hard sing.
    This guy's reputation just grows and grows...he's limited in some ways, but in others unquestionably one of the greatest (IMHO)...his fourth is an unqualified masterpiece I think...especially in the subtlty of the first movement...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Béla Bartók especially String Quartet No. 4-5 Allegro Molto. Gotta love the dissonance...lovely stuff...

Was just reading there about his use of the Fibonacci sequence and the Golden mean.

His use of the Axis system has also influenced many artists from musical backgrounds such as John Coltrane.

Great stuff!

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Grizabella

Prokofiev, Rachmaninov and Beethoven would have to be my favourites. Their piano pieces are just the best to play. There's nothing better than playing a Rachmaninov prelude when your feeling a bit angry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 the_count

My favourite classical composer is Agustin Barrios.

Love most of 'em, but he's the man. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DSLC

Bach or Mozart for me perhaps. As someone else mentioned - Mozart's (unfinished) Requiem is amazing! Even if you feel an aversion to the lyrical content: the music is still awesome.

I also have a soft spot for Brahms; and used to listen to a lot of Rachmaninov's piano music (not so much lately though).

Slightly boring tastes in some people's opinion I guess ... but hey :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭snoopish

So hard...but Debussy (arabesques and La fille aux cheveux du lin are personal favourites), and Chopin for his incredible studies. I have also been recently been taken by Yann Tiersan and his work from Amelie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 The Termignator

Wagner. Next question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

I also absolutely love Claude Debussy-especially his Suite Bergamesque! Oh I adore that! I could listen to the Passepied of that on a loop forever!

I used to love Mozart, still do but now I prefer to listen to Rachmaninov! He's great to express any inner anger! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I think Haydn's Te Deum is one of my fav's - and Fleischmann's Claire's Dragoons, thats for choral, then I love Bach's Air on a G String and Pachelbel's Canon....
    so nope, I can't narrow it down either...

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alqua

I really can't choose one. My favourite composers would be: Allegri (the Miserere is one of the best choral/classical pieces ever), Beethoven, Mozart (his Requiem is amazing), Handel (all of his works are brilliant, especially the Messiah), Bach & Chopin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Starting to get into Rachmaninov.

Advertisement